5.0 out of 5 stars A truly superb mouse
Okay, So I spilt pepsi on my G9x and needed a replacement, considering logitech was bringing out a new mouse I thought why not?

Published 4 months ago by Jasvinder Marwaha

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sensor. Poor balancing.
My first impression of this mouse was a very good one. In fact, if I'd have reviewed this within the first 30 minutes to an hour, I'd have told you it was the best mouse I'd ever used. The truth, however, is somewhat different to that.

To the positives first, the sensor is absolutely as good as people say it is. I've never had a mouse feel as accurate to use...
Published 1 month ago by John P. Hartley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly superb mouse, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)

I've been using the G502 for just under a week now and it is one of the best mice I have ever used. The sensor is pinpoint, no hardware acceleration at all and it feels this amazing on all DPI settings. It is true that you probably won't need to go anywhere near as high as 12,000 but the fact that logitech have enabled this does not take away from the tracking of the lower DPI's at all.

I use a loose palm grip for this mouse, it could be clawed however given the weight and position of the sniper button this could be uncomfortable for some. The sniper button itself doesn't impede my grip but you may need to adjust to keep from accidentally pressing it.

It has a braided cable which is slightly thicker than the one used on the G9x, however it feels lighter, smoother and more flexible (seems to move with much less resistance). I personally like these as it prevents a lot of long term cable wear problems.

The scroll wheel is quite impressive compared to their previous mice. Still with the dual mode, the middle click is is much more defined as are each of the side scroll buttons. All the other buttons give great tactile feedback and seem to require the perfect amount of pressure to operate.

On the software side it is very simple to use 'Logitech Gaming Software' to configure most aspects of the mouse. All of the buttons are configurable and the horrific G logo light can be switched off (in the main settings under G502 tab). Unlike the G9x, G-shift can be assigned to a button which extends the amount of operations you can assign. You can also tune the mouse sensor to any surface (which I did do, Razer Goliathus mouse mat) and I must say I did notice a difference from the default settings. It is not a huge change, but tracking felt that bit smoother and I think maybe a tiny change to reduce the lift off distance but that was hard to tell.

A nice feature I noticed is that the DPI/Profile lights automatically turn off unless you are adjusting the settings, especially as you cannot adjust the colour to match your rig as you could with the G9x.

Adjustable weights are now in a much better place, I really disliked the draw system so I am in favour of this new magnetic door. Although I don't feel it, the mouse is reasonably heavy without any weights in and is already pretty balanced, then again the weights are there if you do want to adjust the balance to suit your play style more (or just add more weight).

Overall this mouse is very impressive, excellent tracking, great shape, very comfortable and not too feature heavy. There will be people who want a simpler mouse but for me as I crossover from FPS to RPG and even for non-gaming it is a great all round mouse.

EDIT:
Just realized it does not show this in the pictures, but the sensor is in the center of the mouse (rather than being offset in the G9x), it definitely helps.
Pros
- Excellent sensor
- Braided Cable
- Much better dual mode scroll wheel
- Weight Management
- Configurable buttons
- Comfortable

Cons
- At the heavier end of mice
- For some grips the sniper button

4.0 out of 5 stars No shortage of options, 20 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Been giving this a try instead of my previous Cyborg RAT 7. Out of the box, the G502 feels a little light and quite plastic-ey, but once you get used to it, it seems effective. It's supplied with five 3.6g chevron-shaped weights in a little case which you can arrange in an underside compartment to adjust the general weight & feel of the mouse - e.g you can arrange them mostly on one side, towards the front or back, or evenly around the base. I had a little trouble with installing all of them (it felt a little light upon first use) and re-fitting the plastic cover again - the cover didn't re-seat properly, but the weights have two basic shapes and I may have been trying to fit some in the wrong specific orientation.

There are a ton of buttons on this, but owing to the length of the mouse and the size of your hands, you may or may not be able to use all of them - in my case, two of the thumb buttons are uncomfortably out of thumb-reach. Two of the buttons adjust the DPI up or down, a third switches between global profile settings for the mouse as a whole, and a fourth does something unusual with the scroll-wheel (which is also clickable). The scroll-wheel can be set to either spin in clickable increments, giving a positive "click" with each move, or by pressing the weird button, spin smoothly, freely and faster. This feels pretty weird in use, however, and is a matter of personal taste.

I didn't actually get a manual inside the box, but I suspected there'd be software for this, and a visit to Logitech's site and a 61mb download later, I had it. This allows you to customise pretty much everything on the mouse, and in my case, also installed a mandatory firmware update - the mouse has BIOS and some memory on-board. You can adjust all the switchable profiles including button mapping, change the DPI settings, change the lighting options including a "breathing" pulse option for the G logo, and more. There's also an option to calibrate the sensor for the surface you're using in there, which actually seems to work.

In use, after a couple of rounds of BF4 to acclimatise it seems to work well despite the comparatively flimsier construction compared to my older RAT 7. The hardware is rated for millions of clicks and scrolling distances, so longevity probably won't be a problem here. If you're looking for a more "pro" level gaming mouse, this is probably worth considering.

Bonus round : there was a small circular magnet included in the packaging; looks like a watch battery. Any ideas what that's for ?

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to form?, 27 July 2014
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Of late I’ve been on somewhat of a mouse Odyssey having recently rebuilt my rig. The trouble with mice, especially in the absence of a brick and mortar store that carries a tidy range is that they are so personal you really have to try first to see if you like it.

Recently my two mice that have bene in rotation are a Mionix Naos 7000 and a SteelSeries Sensei Wireless. My overall favourite though is the Mionix. Allow me to explain.

I had always gone for Logitech with my favourite mouse of recent years being the weight adjustable G500. I loved it. When it started to fail out of warranty I was delighted that Logitech sent me a replacement free of charge, the newer G500S. A nice mouse that suffers from one flaw, coil whine. It’s to do with their capacitors inside the mouse and the net is littered with complaints about it. Logitech sent me another and that too had the same issue hence me embarking on a quest for a new mouse (5 stars for their customer service by the way).

The Naos and Sensei are both terrific mice for very different reasons. I was glad though to have the opportunity to check out the G502 featuring their new ‘Proteus Core’ as it had made a bit of an impact on the forums.

First impressions out of the box are that it is a very plastic mouse. Much like the G500/500S before I though and not necessarily a bad thing. In hand though it feels very nice and comfortable. Build quality is fantastic and although a bit plastic feels solid and well made.

One of the key selling points is the customisable weight option. Whereas the previous two models had a cartridge the weights on this clip directly under the mouse and add a very useful function for the user. Logitech are also keen to point out the mouse features a 32bit Arm processor, much like the Mionix mice.

There are in total a whopping 11 buttons that can be configured using the Logitech Gaming Software from their website. Once downloaded the software allows for profiles and customisation to your heart’s content. It also features a surface analyser to tune the sensor to your mouse pad (again much like Mionix).

In addition you can adjust the DPI on the fly and switch the scroll wheel from free running to incremental.

In use the mouse faired very well in Battlefield 4 and I found the extra buttons handy in Starcraft 2 for assigning actions. It seemed very accurate and the Logitech software is nice and mature allowing for a lot of customisation and profiles. I also particularly like the little fin for your thumb.

A superb mouse that will now find it’s way into my rotation and a bit of a return to form for Logitech.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, but the G500s fits my hand better, 21 Aug 2014
Paul Ferguson "Gildermershina" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a Logitech G500s, and its predecessors, the G500 and the G5, for almost a decade now, and I love them. The shape is perfect for my hand, and I love the feel of them.

The G502 is an evolution of the G500 shape, a little more stylised and angular, a little too much for my tastes, but nothing uncomfortable. I actually like the smoother texture on it quite a bit, and the wheel ridged wheel is nice.

The mouse has ridiculous DPI options, but I don't ever really go higher than 2000, so your mileage may vary. The DPI switching buttons are more conveniently placed than the G500 style. You can tune the mouse's tracking to your surface, which is nice, but I didn't see much effect from this on my soft Steelseries pad. It's nice to have the weight options, and the weights are funkier than the older G500 style round weights.

The mouse tracking is smooth and precise, and I was able to tune it well with Logitech's SetPoint software, which also allows button customisation options, surface tuning, and control of the big illuminated G. It was a little bright for my tastes, so I turned it off.

Unfortunately for me, the mouse ultimately didn't feel as comfortable as the rounded G500 design for me. My thumb would accidentally hit the thumb-button, and I found the right hand side a little narrow, so my little finger didn't sit as comfortably on the mouse. Maybe that's because I'm a palm-grip guy, but a lot of people are. It's a great mouse, it's just not quite the one for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good gaming mouse, 30 July 2014
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This must be the most comfortable gaming mouse I've used. There's a good thumb rest, very low to the desk surface, and my hand sits naturally on it. Like most gaming mice, its not suitable for people with carpal tunnel syndrome or for left-handed use. It is corded, not wireless, which I believe to be the right choice for gaming: you don't want wireless interference suddenly leaving you unable to move in mid-game.

The USD cord has a quality braided sleeve. It doesn't kink, and it seems like it will last for a good while. The box says the mouse will work for 250km, and the left/right buttons will survive at least 20 million clicks. Even for a League of Legends player (which requires lots of spam-clicking) that should be enough to be getting on with.

The mouse comes with little 3.6 gramme weights. Five V-shaped weights are supplied in a separate hexagonal box, and some or all of these weights can be installed in different positions in the base of the mouse, to add inertia and sligtly change the balance from front to back or left to right. In practice, this seems to make little difference, although I preferred the feel of the mouse with a couple of weights near the front of the mouse. Its an indication of the level of care that has gone into the design of this mouse.

The mouse glides very smoothly. I use a SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black), and the combination works extremely well. It doesn't seem to pick up much dirt, but you should be using it on a clean dust-free surface anyway.

The main left/right buttons are ... There are nnn other buttons, and they are all programmable if you download the Logitech Gaming software. I generally don't like installing anything other than a basic device driver on a gaming PC, as configuration programs slow your computer down, and they're not generally necessary. The Logitech software lets you configure all your Logitech devices. The only slight problem I have found is that if you lift the mouse off the desktop your thumb is likely to hit the button above the thumb-rest, which by default is the "back" button.

DPI settings are quickly adjustable from low-DPI (sniper-type use) to very high DPI so you hardly need to move the mouse at all to get the cursor from one side of the screen to the other.

The scroll-wheel has a fair bit of mass to it. It can be operated with a friction brake (the way the scroll-wheel on most mice work) or without, in which case you can get it to continue spinning for about 10 seconds. It's great if you want to keep scrolling automatically or if you want to scroll very precisely. Its easy to switch between the modes in mid-game.

Its fun to set up a mouse like this, and to tune and adjust it to your personal preference. What you don't want, though, is for the mouse to intrude into your gaming experience. Once it has been set up and you start playing, you need to be able to access all the features and settings naturally and without thinking about it. The mouse needs to disappear from your consciousness. And this one does. After about half-an-hour of in-game use, you forget its there and using it becomes completely natural.

If you're looking something a bit different as a birthday present for a teenage gamer who games using a PC, this mouse would be a very acceptable choice. It has wow-factor when you get it, and it doesn't disappoint when you start using it in earnest. It complements the Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard (or even the high-end Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard) very nicely indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything a gamer would want from a mouse, 21 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Without doubt this is a very impressive looking mouse, for anyone into hardcore gaming then for looks alone this is the ultimate accessory for your gaming setup. Ironically I actually found the G502’s design took a little time to get used to as most mice have a curved design whereas the G502 uses a straight-edged design which is a little strange at first, though I eventually got used to it.

One of my favourite features on this mouse is the surface tuning utility. This allows the mouse to be perfectly adjusted to the surface you’re using it on which is a great idea as a mouse’s responsiveness definitely varies according to the surface, so being able to compensate for this is an excellent idea.

Another nice touch is the ability to be able to adjust the weight of the mouse by adding or removing weights underneath it. This definitely helps when playing FPS-type games that require lots of mouse movement and therefore benefit from adjustable weight settings.

Like most gaming mice the G502 has full macro support and the buttons are very easy to program thanks to the excellent Logitech software. It also has adjustable DPI settings up to 12,000dpi, though I found this higher setting to be way too sensitive and not practical in use, I can’t image many people making use of 12000dpi to be honest.

The Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse has every feature any gamer could possibly want, its angular design takes a bit of getting used to but overall this is a superb mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars - reliable scroll wheel - high DPI - smooth movement on a material mouse mat - comfortable for a claw grip user This mouse easil, 19 Sep 2014
I bought this mouse to replace a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 which I've been using for a number of years. I needed a couple of things:

- reliable scroll wheel
- high DPI
- smooth movement on a material mouse mat
- comfortable for a claw grip user

This mouse easily ticked every box that I had for it. It is sleek, smart and incredibly well made. I like the added touch where you can customise the weight by changing individually included weights in the bottom of the mouse.

The braided USB cable is a nice touch, ensuring maximum lifetime and low interference.

The multiple buttons which are on this mouse are nicely positioned, although the system to change the DPI on the fly is a little confusing and will require pulling out the manual to understand.

It is a nice touch that the scroll wheel has two settings: normal scroll and unlimited scroll. The unlimited scroll removes whatever slows the wheel down and allows it to scroll almost indefinitely. Whilst I don't personally use it, I can see why it could be useful.

Overall, an aesthetically pleasing and sturdy mouse. I would definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfection., 10 Aug 2014
This is without a doubt the best mouse I've ever used. I've used hundreds of mice over the years, and always end up with Logitech mice, and this is the cream of the crop. I never thought I'd be able to replace my G400 when it died on me, and planned on getting another until I saw this, and thought I'd give it a try. I don't regret it one bit, it's as close to perfect as we're likely to get for some time as far as gaming mice are concerned.

The DPI can be set as low as 200 or as high as 12,000 (Nobody can play with this, it's a gimmick). It has tunable weight plates that can be installed into the bottom of the mouse depending on preference. The dual scroll wheel is incredibly handy for web browsing, and I find myself unable to use a normal scroll wheel after using this. The Logitech gaming software is superb as usual, intuitive and easy to use, although I had some problems with it crashing on Windows 8.1 64-bit, which seems to have been fixed in a recent update.

All in all, you can't go wrong with Logitech where Mice are concerned, and this one is by far the best I've used.

4.0 out of 5 stars The short version, 28 Aug 2014
So the bottom line as if you read the reviews you most likely already through a few gaming mice.

Pros:
-Shape is surprisingly good for larger hands
-Great solid build
-The adjustable positions of the weights really is useful in fine tuning the way you maneuver it
-Great position of programmable buttons
-Overall a very solid product

Cons:
-No dedicated buttons for on-the-fly DPI switching, so sacrifices have to be made. You have 4 buttons to really work with and that's it.
-LED side-display is kinda useless. It shows how far along the DPI scale you are on form 0 to the pure unusable 12K. The 3 profiles available to play with are switched and indicated by number of stripes lit and then switches back to the DPI scale view. Kinda annoying.
-All the bad things look like design shortcomings, but nothing to deter this from being a very good mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied, 29 Jun 2014
I've been looking forward to getting the G502 for a while and I was not disappointed when I finally got my hands on one.

Pro's -

-A nice amount of macro keys on the mouse,all of which are changeable.
-Most of the buttons do not feel awkward to click.
-Very good size and width.
-Surface tuning is very cool.

Con's -

-Light on the mouse is very bright,had to turn it off eventually
-Slightly heavier than I expected