5.0 out of 5 stars A truly superb mouse
Okay, So I spilt pepsi on my G9x and needed a replacement, considering logitech was bringing out a new mouse I thought why not?

Published 12 months ago by Jasvinder Marwaha

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse if you have a certain size of hands.
To begin with this was a present from my girlfriend. I chose this one due to the fact I needed a good fps mouse to use in games like CS:GO, battlefield and other fps games. I had read a few different reviews from several different websites and thought instantly this is the mouse for me.

Pro's - It looks great it is definitely a nice smooth looking mouse. It...
Published 5 months ago by Robert Carruthers

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly superb mouse, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)

I've been using the G502 for just under a week now and it is one of the best mice I have ever used. The sensor is pinpoint, no hardware acceleration at all and it feels this amazing on all DPI settings. It is true that you probably won't need to go anywhere near as high as 12,000 but the fact that logitech have enabled this does not take away from the tracking of the lower DPI's at all.

I use a loose palm grip for this mouse, it could be clawed however given the weight and position of the sniper button this could be uncomfortable for some. The sniper button itself doesn't impede my grip but you may need to adjust to keep from accidentally pressing it.

It has a braided cable which is slightly thicker than the one used on the G9x, however it feels lighter, smoother and more flexible (seems to move with much less resistance). I personally like these as it prevents a lot of long term cable wear problems.

The scroll wheel is quite impressive compared to their previous mice. Still with the dual mode, the middle click is is much more defined as are each of the side scroll buttons. All the other buttons give great tactile feedback and seem to require the perfect amount of pressure to operate.

On the software side it is very simple to use 'Logitech Gaming Software' to configure most aspects of the mouse. All of the buttons are configurable and the horrific G logo light can be switched off (in the main settings under G502 tab). Unlike the G9x, G-shift can be assigned to a button which extends the amount of operations you can assign. You can also tune the mouse sensor to any surface (which I did do, Razer Goliathus mouse mat) and I must say I did notice a difference from the default settings. It is not a huge change, but tracking felt that bit smoother and I think maybe a tiny change to reduce the lift off distance but that was hard to tell.

A nice feature I noticed is that the DPI/Profile lights automatically turn off unless you are adjusting the settings, especially as you cannot adjust the colour to match your rig as you could with the G9x.

Adjustable weights are now in a much better place, I really disliked the draw system so I am in favour of this new magnetic door. Although I don't feel it, the mouse is reasonably heavy without any weights in and is already pretty balanced, then again the weights are there if you do want to adjust the balance to suit your play style more (or just add more weight).

Overall this mouse is very impressive, excellent tracking, great shape, very comfortable and not too feature heavy. There will be people who want a simpler mouse but for me as I crossover from FPS to RPG and even for non-gaming it is a great all round mouse.

EDIT:
Just realized it does not show this in the pictures, but the sensor is in the center of the mouse (rather than being offset in the G9x), it definitely helps.
Pros
- Excellent sensor
- Braided Cable
- Much better dual mode scroll wheel
- Weight Management
- Configurable buttons
- Comfortable

Cons
- At the heavier end of mice
- For some grips the sniper button

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse, but the G500s fits my hand better, 21 Aug. 2014
Paul Ferguson "Gildermershina" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a Logitech G500s, and its predecessors, the G500 and the G5, for almost a decade now, and I love them. The shape is perfect for my hand, and I love the feel of them.

The G502 is an evolution of the G500 shape, a little more stylised and angular, a little too much for my tastes, but nothing uncomfortable. I actually like the smoother texture on it quite a bit, and the wheel ridged wheel is nice.

The mouse has ridiculous DPI options, but I don't ever really go higher than 2000, so your mileage may vary. The DPI switching buttons are more conveniently placed than the G500 style. You can tune the mouse's tracking to your surface, which is nice, but I didn't see much effect from this on my soft Steelseries pad. It's nice to have the weight options, and the weights are funkier than the older G500 style round weights.

The mouse tracking is smooth and precise, and I was able to tune it well with Logitech's SetPoint software, which also allows button customisation options, surface tuning, and control of the big illuminated G. It was a little bright for my tastes, so I turned it off.

Unfortunately for me, the mouse ultimately didn't feel as comfortable as the rounded G500 design for me. My thumb would accidentally hit the thumb-button, and I found the right hand side a little narrow, so my little finger didn't sit as comfortably on the mouse. Maybe that's because I'm a palm-grip guy, but a lot of people are. It's a great mouse, it's just not quite the one for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite mouse., 5 Jan. 2015
I'm a massive fan of the Logitech M500 mouse for it nice shape and unlockable scroll wheel so when I was looking to upgrade my mouse to something a little more fancy this was an obvious choice.

After using it for a month or so now I absolutely love it. The back and forward buttons are well placed and I can hit them easily getting a tactile and auditory click to let me know they've been activated. The left and right clicks are sensitive enough for rapid pressing but not so sensitive that you're constantly accidentally triggering them. The scroll wheel for which I purchased this item works just like my old M500 and I love it. DPI changing is smooth and responsive and well indicated by lights on the mouse. The software for calibration and/or macro setup works great too and doesn't need to constantly sit in the background due to onboard memory on the mouse: perfect!

Only two downside and not significant enough to damper my enjoyment:

1. When you've got you hand positioned in order to use all the standard buttons you would have to have mutant length thumbs to reach the "sniper" button but given I play with a low DPI and don't like to shift it in-game that's not a big deal. If I place my thumb far forwards enough to press the sniper button comfortably I can't hit the "back" button because my hand is over it.

2. The mouse scroll wheel, like the M500, also has the functionality to be clicked left and right. This is great. However, in order for this to work involves introducing a tiny bit of give into the left and right motions of the scroll wheel. It is completely unnoticed during ordinary use except for when making a large sweeping movement from side to side (turning in an FPS with low DPI) giving the tiny auditory "ting" noise.

It's the most minor thing in the world but I figured I'd list it because I'm literally clutching at straws to find faults with this mouse. It really is nice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse if you have a certain size of hands., 26 Dec. 2014

Pro's - It looks great it is definitely a nice smooth looking mouse. It also moves great across my mouse mat and the software is amazingly easy to use. The mouse wheel is also a nice little touch I like, to me it seems very well made and will last a long time. Also the weight system in it is very fun to play around with but I have yet to configure whats the best weight for me.

Con's - I am 6ft 4 inches tall and have very large hands. All my old mice where very comfortable for me yet this one after an hour or so of playing my hand started to fatigue a bit and my scores started to slip. I use a claw grip and I kept pressing the dpi button far to much. Nothing more frustrating than in the middle of a firefight my dpi either goes too high or it goes too low. I have played with the software to stop this from happening now but it really annoyed me. The left click is too small for my finger and my thumb does not no where to sit due to the dpi-shift button.

All in all its a very very good performing mouse, I would give it 4-5 stars but the clutter of the smaller sized buttons then I am used to don't work to well with my grip style and the size of my hands. Maybe over time and more practice I will get back to my old skill level using this mouse, maybe even get better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but few cons., 13 Oct. 2014
I will make this review straight. Having used many gaming mice myself, there are few let downs that interferes the pros of this mouse.

Pros:

Frankly speaking, the optical sensor of this mouse is quite good. Good in terms of accuracy in the shooting game. It's quite effective when you use rifles which has recoils such as AK47. This mouse is a palm grip type and so, it is quite easy to rapid click/fire during the game which is also critical in FPS game. The sensor is so good that I felt that the price of the mouse mostly goes to the sensor itself.

The size of the mouse is about 13cm in length and 6cm in width which is quite similar to that of Roccat Kone XTD but 1 cm shorter in width resulting an oval sort of shape just like a reptile egg in the dinosaur museum. Due to the high precision lead by the sensor, this shape does help. If there are too much width, it can be quite hard to control such sensor I'd say.

The weight adjustment is a great addition too. The sensor of this mouse is quite sensitive and so, the additional weight can give more control to the user in a way. Many people yell that this mouse is heavy. If you have used Razer and Cyborg mice such as Rat 5 - 9 (without the weight), and Kone Pure from Roccat, you may feel this mouse quite heavy to handle. But if you have used Roccat Kone XTD, then there is no problem as it weighs about the same i felt (with and without weight adjustment on both).

Lastly, the usb cable of this mouse is quite soft. The cable itself will adapt quickly and so, you wouldn't need to make it straight/stretch the cable after unboxing.

Cons:

There are few down side of this mouse that may interfere with the good side listed above. Firstly, if you flip the mouse, you will quickly notice that there are four plastic black tape like seal for a grind protection. Normally, other brand namely Roccat and Razer won't do this. Instead, they completely seal them so that it won't peel off overtime. Here, I wouldn't worry about them peeling off but as a result of the wrong placement of the seal, this mouse chooses the surface. If you use Roccat Hiro 3D mouse surface for example, and move around the mouse, you will quickly notice the grind noise. A little delay caused by the resistance can be quite annoying when you want to aim the pointer properly during the game. Logitech gaming/non-gaming mice always gives this impression that they don't pursue for perfection, and that they are not made solely for the enthusiasts but also designed for ordinary consumers. This concept is still there with this mouse as well as the ones I used before from Logitech. This is my subjective opinion about logitech mouse products though.

The second cons goes to the combination of the wheel and the left/right click. It is certainly a nice addition that the wheel can be configured by a single click of button placed below the wheel. One click of the button gives a rigid feel of the wheel and another press gives a loose and smooth feel of the wheel. However, this rigid mode of the wheel can be an annoyance when combined with the mouse left/right clicks during the game or the normal daily operations on your PC. First of all, it feels very cheap. Secondly, the rigid feel of the wheel doesn't feel right, say while switching the weapons after few clicks of fire, the wheel accidentally moves due to the momentum of switching (scrolling) quickly. Thirdly, the clicks are loud. Louder than that of palm grip type mouse such as Kone XTD and in fact, louder than R.A.T 9 too.

The force you may put to click left/right buttons are just about right. At least, I feel this is quite comfortable. But if you switch from the soft clicks say from Razor, such as Black Mumba 2012 and DeathAdder, then you may feel these buttons need a little force to click.

There are people who complains about right clicks where they accidentaly press during the game but it never happened to me yet. This is probably due to the size of user's hand (mine is square palm with short fingers. About 17cm in length from the wrist to the tip of third finger) and the way you may place your hand on the mouse. Generally, if you place your hand as if you use the finger grip type of mouse, you may not have that accidental clicks.

Software and the drivers of this mouse works well and sensibly designed. I have never had any problems with updating firmwares when the software asked me unlike other unfortunate people who had to update the firmware manually through the installation directory. When you open the software, you will see this slide switch where you can choose where to save your profile. It is either the on-board memory chip built-in or to the PC. When you want to assign a windows function (assuming you are using Windows PC), you'd need to switch the profile save location to the PC by the way.

So there it is. Currently, I am using together with my Roccat Kone XTD and I can tell clearly, that this mouse wins when it comes to FPS games. I find it quite interesting that I use G502 for rifles that has recoils and for shotguns and heavy ones, I use the Roccat. The design of the mouse will remind you of the chinch bug or the beetles and like I said above, and you may need to consider buying one of the logitech gaming surfaces, but overall, I think this mouse is balanced and acceptable.

I bought this mouse as a replacement of my Roccat Tyon which I bought recently. Unlike the G502, the Tyon was a complete joke to me (I wrote the review of it too).

I am not entirely happy due to some of the half-hearted manufacturing especially the grind seal and the wheel which can be quite common in Logitech mice but the sensor itself is quite powerful.

When you pay for this price, again, I'd say you are paying for the sensor I thought.

I'd recommend this mouse to anyone who fed up with the laser sensor.

Warmest Regards

Tomo

3.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware - needs fettling, 10 Oct. 2014
Tricky to know what rating to give this, on the one hand as a mouse it is superb - and if like other Logitech Mice I would hope the electronics and switches are bullet-proof. I have just come from three Mad-Catz products all of which suffered the same micro-switch failure after 4-6 months.

I rate my mice on comfort and sensitivity - I need a smooth cursor operation, especially from standstill, and a decent feel/weight, this is the first mouse that I have used without resorting to tuning with additional weights, and the cursor tuning provides me with more than I need.

Now the downside, the mice skates/feet/glides whatever you want to call them are definitely not as resilient as previous Logitech products, I have resorted to after market after my second set of originals started to peel at the corners - Logitech were no help saying they didn't have any spares... Another downside (at least for me) is that there is no apparent way to store profiles on the mouse, or back them up as a separate file - that gets a black mark.

So - great mouse, mostly high build quality - poor feet and indifferent profile handling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two major issues., 3 Jan. 2015
The mouse has a good sensor and doesn't seem to skip pixels or jitter if used at a reasonable DPI level. The mouse has a nice texture and shape/size and buttons are easily accessible. There is however 2 issues with this mouse that ruin it for me, and those are the scroll wheel and the mouse feet.

The scroll wheel: It is metal and extremely heavy in comparison to other mouse wheels. The weight of the wheel and the lack of any rubberized grip make it somewhat hard to control precisely and, at least for me, very easy to scroll one click to far. It is also very easy for your finger to slip because it has no real grip aside from the indentations on it.

The feet: They feel fairly smooth to the touch and slide reasonably well but they do not last long and two of the feet on my mouse came loose after just a week, and another one started peeling at the corner.

If not for the two problems mentioned this mouse would be great, but as it currently stands, there is much better alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent mouse, comfortable to hold and with the ability ..., 5 Dec. 2014
An excellent mouse, comfortable to hold and with the ability to alter the weight, by adding or subtracting weights from a space in the base. Good range of nicely weighted buttons ( I finally gave up with my previous mouse, an RAT TE, as i finally got fed up with the over light right button)and a good range of settings (tried it at 12000 DPI and it was mental, I coughed and the mouse pointer shot right across the screen). Very customiseable software, does way more that I will ever want. Tried it on a couple of games and it was great, smooth, comfortable with a useful sniper button. The dual mode scroll wheel is great for browsing long web pages. Best of all, I got it as a Black Friday week deal for £20 off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Mouse. Terrible Feet/Skates, 27 Oct. 2014
I bought this as an upgrade to my G5.
I love the mousewheel, great idea and works well.
I still sometimes fumble over the buttons to the left of the left click (Usually in-game panic clicking) but I'm getting used to them.

The new thumb button that is meant for sniping, I have configured it to CTRL so I can resize webpages with the mouswheel when the text is too small (I am a bit old)

The only negative is the bottom side of the mouse.
For a start, the flap sometimes drops off on its own :-(
And when it's on it scrapes across the mousemat like a grubby old house brick.
The mouse feet are absolute crap. Flimsy low quality stickers that just peel off.
Today I have resolved this by putting on some Mouseskates from 'Hotline Games' (Found on Ebay)
The mouse now glides like my old G5 used to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 15 Jan. 2015
This is an entirely subjective opinion of course, but I really didn't like the feel of the mouse in my hand.

Firstly, the shape of the mouse wasn't as comfortable as I had hoped.

Secondly, the rubber coating on the sides felt really uncomfortable to me. It's not smooth rubber, but feels sort of harsh and would probably cause my hand to go sore faster than most mice.

I own a G602 wireless which I like almost everything about, and was hoping this would be even better. So pretty disappointed, and returned this one.

By all means, try it out and see if you like it. There is a mouse out there for everyone, it's just that this one wasn't for me.