5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera
Published 11 months ago by Lord Byron

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable and Poor Support from Sony
This camera has been unreliable with intermittent faults. Returned to Sony for repair under warranty and they have informed me that they do not have parts to fix it and do not know when parts will be available. I read lots of good reports about this camera before deciding to purchase it as a present for my wife. a bad decision! A camera that does not work from a...
Published 5 months ago by W. Paton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Sony DSCHX60 Compact Digital Camera with Wi-Fi and NFC - Black ( 20.4MP, 30x Optical Zoom) (Electronics)
I was looking for a pocketable zoom camera. My shortlist was the Nikon S9700, Sony HX60, Panasonic TZ60. I tried these out at the local JL store and the Sony won. First, it is easy to hold the Sony camera in one hand and shoot the photo. I'm 74 with average-sized hands. The other cameras were less easy to hold one-handed. Second, and this may not be the best test of the cameras, I took photos at both ends, wide and zoom, of the lens in the store. The test piece was a sign at the far end of the story, white lettering on a mid-blue background. The photos taken with the Panasonic and the Nikon on long zoom came out quite dull and looked nothing like what I could see in the distance with my eyes. The Sony rendered far better what I could see with the naked eye. This may have something to do with the quality of the Sony screen, but I don't think so. At the wide end of the lens, the Sony colours were truer to what I could see, although the Panasonic was not far behind. Third, I was attracted to the Panasonic by its having a viewfinder. Forget it. It's next to useless. Fourth, the Sony would make a good camera for those who require one for street photography. It is unobtrusive in the hand, it comes with a wrist-strap and it costs a lot less than the cameras, like the Ricoh GR 16MP and Nikon Coolpix A, which have been suggested as ideal for that purpose. I have a small Ricoh GX100, now a bit long in the tooth, a Nikon P7700, and a Nikon D90. I am an enthusiastic amateur with about 50 years experience of photography. Incidentally, I bought the Sony DSC-HX60 in the JL store, there being no real price difference between there and Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I Love It, 17 Jun. 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
SIZE
====
This what I describe as a Goldilocks camera. Not too big, not too small: Just right. It's light, but not too light. It's solid, but not a brick. And I love it!

ZOOM
====
Normally I'd mention the zoom later in the review but I have to mention it here. (Because I love it). It's simply the BEST zoom that I've ever used. So from great distances you can get detailed, clear, superb photographs. It's 30x optical zoom (that's a lot).
Strictly for the purposes of the review I conducted an experiment. I was at a poolside and was able to zoom across the rather large pool and take detailed pictures of other poolside occupants. (My wife didn't appreciate that this was solely for the purpose of review.)

FEATURES
========
I could reel off a list of features, but the ones I particularly liked were the NFC and Wifi features.
If you've not come across this feature before you'll love it. It allows you to operate the camera remotely using your smartphone. (in my case an iphone) If you've not got a smartphone, it's 2014 and time to throw away your pagers. I was also able to transfer from the camera to the phone the pictures I'd taken. this allows super duper photos to be uploaded to the likes of facebook.

IMAGE QUALITY
=============
There is only one word for the image quality. Awesome.
I was stunned by the crispness and the colour of the photographs.

SPEED
=====
Within picking the camera up and clicking. It's simply seconds. The camera is ready for the next picture almost straight away.

OVERALL
=======
A very beautiful, compact camera that takes breath-taking photos. I LOVE IT!

RECOMMENDED
===========
Definitely.

4.0 out of 5 stars A zoom to far, 12 May 2014
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wrote this review having spent time with Canon’s SX700 and a Sony HX60; both are 2014 model travel super zooms. Both are broadly the same size and weight; when it comes to taking images both have 30x optical zoom lenses - though the Canon’s is 25-750mm and the sony going from a slightly wider 24 - 720mm. I have used the two cameras around the UK and on a short trip to Germany.

In the Hand

Out of the box the Sony looks and feels that little bit boxy and maybe a bit more nerdy; Sony have managed to put the mode dial on the top of the camera; and next to it there is an exposure compensation dial. The button layout has allowed a cleaner back to the camera and the Sony feels far nicer in my hands. Sony has a flash hotshoe that can take a range of sony accessories; including microphones and viewfinders - though most of them cost almost as much as the camera. The zoom of the Canon is noticeably quicker in stills mode than the Sony; and the canon has a useful framing button that quickly zooms out showing you a box where the zoom will return to. In video mode both the sony and canon have smooth zoom that won’t make your audience feel too queasy.

Stills

Inexplicably Sony’s mode dial has two different Intelligent auto modes; as well as scene and varying degrees of manual control. The software in Sony’s cameras continues to push them above their Canon competition for taking photos - the HX60 is able to take a single burst of 10 shots in a second; has a superior low light multi shot mode but for me the Sweep panorama mode is the stand out feature. If the HX60 is a camera to take on holiday being able to take impressive panoramic shots in a single pass should be a must have.

Out of the Camera I think the Canon SX700 delivers slightly more realistic colour. Sony has a better range in its photos though and is more able to extract detail in its shots in a wide range of light conditions. Sony also has built in HDR modes that take multiple shots and combine them to make a more human-eye like light and color range.

Looking at the actual images; if you don’t push the zoom range or you are in bright light I think the Sony has a superior image quality. There is more detail in the Sony photos compared to the Canon ones; and less noise in daylight situations. As the light dims; if you don’t resort to software trickery, Canon edges the sony out with less noise in the photos The noise from the Sony sensor starts visibly degrading things at about ISO 400; as the 30x lens is also slow you need to reach into those higher ISO numbers quickly at longer zoom ranges.

As both canon and Sony have included low light photo effects you should use the software trickery to get around the limitations of the sensor and lens; of the two Sony’s twilight mode which takes multiple shots and combines them into a single image is the better of the two.

Video

Like Canon, Sony has a dedicated video recording button; as with other buttons on the Sony its location makes it less likely you press it by accident (something i repeatedly did on the Canon); it isn’t out of the way though; being adjacent to the thumb rest so you can easily find it without having to look.

When you actually record video Sony uses the AVCHD format; recording full 1080p HD at upto 50 frames a second. Canon use MP4 which supported by more devices; and records at up to 60p. 60p makes fast moving scenes look slightly smoother than the 50p the Sony is capable of. Both allow you to slightly slow the video down without losing quality if you want slomo effect. If you want super slow motion, only the Canon can help with up to 240 fps albeit it at 320p.

Battery Life
A win for Sony. Both will let you take far more photos in a day than you are likely to need; so testing with video the Sony took almost 25 minutes more video than the Canon.

Overall

For stills the combination of the battery life, more usable controls but more importantly the combination of the Sony sensor,lens and software edge it out over the Canon. There is more detail in daylight and the software saves it in lower light. The Sony interface is marginally easier to use than the canon’s For video shooting the Canon has better image quality and the zoom panning is smoother.

I like to take photos as I travel far more so than videos; so of the two the Sony is the one I have in my laptop bag at the moment. 4*

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing camera!, 16 Feb. 2015
AW (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This camera is amazing.The battery powers it for a decent amount of time and the flash appears to light up well. Where it seems to excel (to me) is in indoor non flash photography. I recently used it to photograph some Karate training. There appears to be no lag whatsoever between pressing the shutter button and the picture being taken. Not using flash was not a problem at all even taking photos from the full 30x optical zoom distance.
Highly recommended and I doubt you would be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars In depth review for the Sony HX60., 11 Oct. 2014
Dave G "Dave G" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've had quite a few compact superzoom camera's over the years, including bridge camera's and after returning the totally pants Canon sx270 got a HX60 in Sept 2014, Yes it's not as sturdy and well made as previous HX camera's (the HX9 was a work of art), however it is without doubt the best compact I have ever owned, it is by no means perfect and isn't the best that will ever be made, but if you want a small, pocketable superzoom camera that is a joy to use for around £200, you can do a lot worse.

I paid £249 for mine, from Jessops it came with a Sony camera case and hahnel battery which represents great value (the case & battery alone would cost you around fifty quid ;-).

Charging the camera is done via a power adaptor/usb cable, to transfer images remove the power adaptor bit. I bought a charger/battery bundle on Amazon for a tenner, as I do find "in camera" charging restrictive.
This does speed up the recharge process while enabling me to carry on shooting (with the spare battery).

The instructions for the camera are very poor, and even the one's online are very poor.

The camera is small and sturdy.
Great retro look.
It has a good handgrip
Image quality is excellent at iso 80-200, very good to 400, and pretty good if not cropping at 800.
Image colours are fantastic and very true to life.
The x30 lens is great but a bit slow when zooming for my liking (compared to other cameras).
It underexposes slightly, but this is easily fixed by dialling in +.3 or +.7 evf.
Focussing is not as fast as I'd heard about, it's no slouch but don't expect dslr focussing speeds and yes the af point drifts in an out, even when not in cont auto focus, which is annoying.
The camera's P.A.S.M Mode's are great for experienced photographers, but do obviously have limits, you won't able to select F22 for example.
The superior Auto is best used in low light, and auto in good light.
White Balance is a bit hit or miss, and presets aren't 100% accurate all the time.
The camera only shoots jpeg images, there is no RAW capability.
The HX60 does not have GPS, it's a gimmick anyway, My DSLR has it and I've used it once in over 2 years.
NFC - yes it has it, but it's another gimmick and needs a capable and compatible smart phone/tablet.
Wi-Fi is present and yes it works fairly well.

As per normal for a compact, Sports mode is pointless unless you use it in bright sunshine, as the AF system can't cope with fast moving subjects in poor light.

Overall I do find the Camera's AF to be frustrating when it comes to moving subjects, I had expected better, the hit rate is very disappointing, and that's despite having rave reviews and comments about focussing speed.

The flash has to be put up manually by pressing the flash button, it pops out quite a way and does look a bit fragile when fully extended, when finished you just press it down, to be honest I find the flash adequate; for macro and close subjects it's good but if feet away it's under powered, as you'd expect upping the iso does help and yes you can set the flash compensation, but this doesn't help much.

There is no direct access manual macro mode, however it can very easily be activated by switching to auto or superior auto and getting close to your subject. I also discovered that with a bit of experimentation in P mode you can get some pretty amazing close up shots for a compact.

Using "auto iso" does give you greater iso flexibility, for example in P mode you get iso 80,100,200,400,800, 1600 & 3200, however using auto provides additional settings e.g 250 and 640 etc, which can help with the noise issue (640 being less noisy than 800 ;-). However using auto iso can take it the other direction; higher than you'd like, so common sense/understanding has to be applied.

Long exposures are possible (using a very slow shutter speed, tripod and the timer) making light trails etc accessible.

Video quality is pretty much what you'd expect from any modern camera; hd with good sound, zoom action is slow though.

The biggest gripe I have so far is the battery compartment door, it is poor and opens by itself very frequently, because of where it is and how you hold the camera, putting some black lecky tape over it has cured the problem.

Below iso 800 the camera takes pleasing photo's most of the time, above iso 800 quality takes a dive, to get around this for static subjects you can use hand held twilight or multi frame noise reduction which really does make a difference to noisey images.

Images at both ends of the zoom are good with images at the max x30 setting being far better than you'd expect, clear zoom is ok but degrades the image, a lot, so use sparingly.

That 20.4mp sensor is both good and bad in equal measure; the detail in the photo's at low iso settings is fantastic, however up the iso to 800+ and it all turns to mush, even with low noise reduction enabled, as I've said you can get around that with MFNR or HHT, but only for static subjects.

The Multi interface shoe is imho a gimmick, if the camera had raw, and overall better anti noise ability then it would have merit, however noise and cost of the accessories (very expensive; e.g the flash is over £160) defy logic, especially when for an £100 extra you can get the Brilliant RX100.

If you desire a long lens in a small pocketable camera which is good to use and capable of producing great photo's below iso 800 then I can recommend the Sony HX60, I really enjoy using this camera and although not as good build wise as earlier Hx camera's it's like my Old Panasonic TZ3; a total pleasure to use, I often reach for this instead of my far superior DSLR. I did look at the Canon Sx700, Nikon S9700 and Panasonic Tz60, but in all honesty it ended up a two horse race (TZ60 vs HX60), because these are the best 2 (the Panasonic tz & Sony hx series have always been top dogs). The TZ60 is a lot more expensive and I hate the look and feel, it's viewfinder is a waste of space, and not very practical. The best advice I can give is that once you've shortlisted your favourites go into your local curry's etc and try for yourself, 5 minutes in store will settle the decision, very quickly.

A minority of reviewers have mentioned build quality, having a wealth of experience and actually playing with all the alternatives I am happy to say this; look at the mickey mouse alternative's, and then the many rave reviews from people who have actually turned it on and used the jog dial etc. The Canon SX700 for example looks like a toy, doesn't have a lot of the HX60's features and have you seen where the power button is ;-).

The Hx60 is not perfect, (what camera is ;-), but for the price and what it has and can do only one similar camera can touch it (TZ60) and that's not as pretty, and a lot more expensive.

Mine developed a minor fault and within a week Sony had provided free postage, repaired and returned it, it took Canon a month to finally agree to free postage and then several weeks to fix and return the sx270, and the video mode was still useless. Build quality is one thing, excellent service is another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little camera, 29 Aug. 2014
This is the camera I think I have been looking for all my life. I have just sold my Panasonic G2 to buy this one, and cannot praise it enough. The quality of the pictures is superb, even when set to half its potential resolution (max is 20 megapixels). The other brilliant feature is the 30x zoom, which takes you well into the subject and is sharp as a knife. All the buttons are intuitive, and after 5 minutes of using the camera, it seems like you've had it for ever. I have added the accessory electronic viewfinder, and, although quite expensive, is something I couldn't possibly do without. All in all - excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony DSCHX60 (without GPS), 24 May 2014
Mr. S. Gregory "bigsg5" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have upgraded from the previous DSC-HX20V, the biggest advantage I found with this camera was the extra zoom over the previous model. The camera is quite chunky but not much bigger than the 20 zoom version I owned previously. The camera uses the same Cybershot scroll wheel features to choose different settings. This camera has a lot more features than the HX20V including a second manual scroll wheel for more fine tuning should you not wish to use the automatic settings. Also amongst the on screen menus are a load more settings. A new feature of this camera (compared to my last Cybershot) is the Function button which lets you preset a few functions for quick access, this basically saves you scrolling through the menus everytime if there are some options you use more than others. The flash also more settings than before and it is a pop up flash which I find the only downside as this for me is a natural place to hold the camera. I used the camera to take approx 300 photos and the battery was still going strong, the camera does have built in wifi however for normal operation I enabled airplane mode to save on the battery life. Overall very please with the results so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than my last (very old) 4MP camera that cost ..., 14 Jan. 2015
So much better than my last (very old) 4MP camera that cost me £300 (Many, many years ago!!!)

Point and press with great results in all types of light conditions, which is all I really want really. I'm not a pro, I just want a good picture memory of the event with no fuss or disappointment.

I'm a budget price camera user, but I'd rather spend a couple of hundred pounds on this, than only a hundred pounds on a less feature rich, cheaper made camera that isn't built to last 5 minutes.

Some reviews on here criticise the body as being cheap and feeling plastic. Plastic it may be, but price is about compromise. And the body on this camera feels solid and the quality of the controls feel fine for the use I will give it. The pop-up flash, while amusing, looks a bit fragile and should be treated with care. But if you want a no expense spared, bullet proof and gold plated camera, you're going to pay for it...

For me, this camera is perfect!!! And a good balance of price/features and quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little Gem but check your smartphone first for Wi-Fi compatibility from Sony's website., 6 Jan. 2015
I own high end camera Canon gear but I needed a small camera to practically carry with me anywhere. There have been many situations where I'd 'wished I had my camera with me!' Mobile phone cameras tend to be rubbish for most things.
There are quite a few handy features on this model such as AV, TV, P, and fully manual modes to work with plus when I tested this little gem and I was quite impressed with the quality of shots especially at long focal lengths.
The little pop up flash works well too and copes with various levels of light quite well. The WI-FI is simple to use although it won't work with my HTC one. It works well with my Nexus 7 and the wife's Experia Z2 fine though.
If you are buying this for the prime reason of the WI-FI facility then check your smartphone is supported first save disappointment.
I don't think NFC will catch on. It didn't work either with my HTC one, again it did on other devices but it's feature I won't use anyway. Overall though a handy piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little Compact, 13 April 2014
This digital camera is amazing. The quality of pictures are so sharp and crystal clear. The zoom is brilliant you can zoom into things which are at least a mile away. It has loads of different effects and the on screen tips are great to. You have to buy this camera to experience the quality and enjoyment you can get out of this. I am blown away by it. You won't be disappointed believe me, there is nothing not to like about it. Maybe the buttons on the back are little bit cheap but thats about it :-)