on 7 June 2014
Hands down probably the best point and shoot camera in its price range. Takes stunning pictures as well as videos which you just cant fault. If you want a small, easy to use camera which adjusts all the settings for you, THIS IS THE ONE!

Pros;
Very good sensor so the picture quality is just out of this world. Very fast focusing.
Automatically adjusts setting so you always get the best results.
Very good at low light if you don't want to use the flash. Does some amazing wizardry and results are fantastic!
Video is very smooth and with built in optical stability, looks great! Shoots Full HD at 60fps.
20x zoom is terrific and stable!
Does 360 panorama which is really easy to shoot.
Has both Wi-Fi and NFC so you can wirelessly stream your pics to your PC, Phone, Tablet or TV.
Oh did i mention that the battery life is out of this world! 470 pictures on one charge! Other similarly prices cameras cant even get 300.

Cons;
Although build qual is excellent, aluminium body etc, the shutter button feels a bit spongy and somehow fragile. Doesn't feel secure or sturdy. Never the less it works great! And if it ever breaks theres a 1yr guarantee.
Screen res is average. Only a 460k display. Would be nice to have a 921k like on the HX60. But its not like your going to be using it as a TV screen, and as the camera adjusts all the settings for you, all you'll be using it for is aligning the shot.

Conclusion;
If your looking for a compact camera with amazing performance that will automatically adjust all your settings and only cost £180. This is the one!
0Comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2015
I'm a serial compact camera buyer having got through a fair few in as many years with the history as follows:
Casio EX-Z3
Casio EX-Z30
Casio EX-Z1200
Panasonic FX35
Canon HS220
(and a couple of waterproof(ish) fuji's)
Obviously cameras improve as they go through the ages but this has been the biggest leap since the Panasonic.
With the last camera going in the swimming pool with the pram (fortunately no baby), I was comparing the ixus 265, a canon sx200 and the sony wx220 when a black friday knocking another £30 off made me go for this.
I've had it for a week and agree with the other comments that the submenus aren't very intuitive but have been using the camera mainly in auto mode which has been handling the variety of conditions very well. Focusing is very quick and the quality is very good. Due to the zoom you can create a very good depth of field. The low light handling is very good using the scene modes but even in video is very good.
I've just played back the video on my tv (sd card reader has worked fine but I'll probably get a micro hdmi cable) and was very impressed with the quality even at the 1080i mode but just switched to 1080p and even more impressed.
One flaw I've found is the flash can accidently get partially covered by your finger if not careful especially in portrait.
I got the proper Sony case which is a snug fit which is how I like it.
Overall, highly recommend for a camera of this genre.
on 22 June 2015
Being a bit of a gadget fetishist I have owned way too many compact cameras in my time. Of all of them this is the best small compact camera that I have tried.

The real selling point of this camera is it's size and weight. It is a truly compact camera and even for it's diminutive size it is very light. Packed into this small camera is a long zoom lens and a host of features. However, this would all count for nothing if it didn't deliver in terms of picture quality. Overall, considering the type of camera and it's price the image quality is very good indeed.

This is primarily a great camera for outdoor use. Its size and weight make it incredibly portable and the image quality in bright light is very good. To top it off it is easy to use (the auto modes generally do very well) and fast in operation. The quality is good from wide angle to full telephoto and that zoom lens really does reach a long way. Battery life seems pretty good and I really liked that I could charge the bettery in the camera using a standard phone charger. This meant that I could charge it from a cigarette lighter in the car on days out.

You do need to bear in mind the weak points of a camera such as this. Personally, I do not mark the camera down because of these issues as they are inherent in the type of camera. For a very small, long zoom camera I have not found anything better. Firstly, this camera has a small sensor (although typical or compacts) combined with a rather "slow" lens (again this is typical of compacts). Slow in this context refers to how much light it lets through not how fast it focusses. Essentially what this means is that the results you get will deteriorate rapidly as the available light levels fall. Indoor photos without the flash for example, will not look anywhere near as good as daytime outdoor shots. However, to put this into context, to get a camera with a larger sensor and faster lens that will do well for indoor lower light shots (like the Canon S120, Canon G7x or Sony RX100) you will have to spend considerably more for a heavier, larger camera and give up that long zoom range.

Secondly, this camera is designed for the beginner and for automatic use. Because of it's small size it does not have much in terms of external controls such as exposure compensation. The result is that if you do know what you are doing and want to change something you will have to dive into the menus to change that setting. Again this is inherent in this type of camera. Note that although this camera does not provide any flash compensation (an annoying oversight) the flash seems to be much better than that for the previous generation, the WX300, which had a tendency to washout anything too close to the camera..

The only specific issue with the camera for me is that it's screen is not very visible in bright light. (Not ideal for a camera that I really only use outdoors.) I solved this by buying a non-reflective phone screen protector and cutting it down to size for the camera. This only cost a couple of pounds.
on 17 February 2015
Ok let me just clarify quickly, the only reason I haven't given this camera a 5 star rating is due to the complexity of connecting it to anything that isn't a SONY device for example it struggles to work with my TV's that are both LG and my Samsung phone. As for the Camera itself it is AMAZING! The picture quality is awesome, amazing stabilization for pictures/videos whether zoomed in or not and the zoom is incredible and I have attached some photos showing just this! The first is where I was sat at Old Trafford (fully zoomed out) and the second is the players in the centre circle.
review image review image review image
Colour Name: Black|Style Name: Camera|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I own, or have used a large number of cameras and most of the time I am sporting a high end compact for some quick shots. My current camera of choice is the Sony RX100 which is simply superb.

So it was with some interest I got to try this one which, going by looks, could be a descendant of the RX100 as it echoes the same styling albeit smaller and lighter.

First things first, this camera rewards you with some great, no fuss shots and punches well above it’s weight in low light situation. It’s very easy to use and the simple well laid out controls allow you to select what you need without fuss. This is a combination form the great lens and superb sensor and engine.

Not only are photo’s superb but it takes great video. The camera is small enough to hide in a pocket and will take photos that are much better than most mobiles out there (notwithstanding the Lumia 1020)

The WiFi and NFC are very handy and means you can have your photos on Facebook in no time if that’s your thing. Making use of the Play Memories app on ios/android.

I teamed mine up with a Sandisk Extreme SD card that happily kept pace.

This camera is a simple and effective point and shoot that won’t break the bank. Another solid effort form Sony.
on 1 July 2014
Did a lot of research before choosing our next camera. Finally ended up with this, and very happy with the choice. Takes wonderfully crisp, detailed and rich photos, robust and yet light to hold and use. All in all happy with this.
on 16 February 2016
I purchased this to replace a 9 year old Fuji S5700 after spending many hours looking at specs, reviews and looking on camera comparison websites.

This had no impact on my choice, however it's an extremely small camera and looks very nice.

First impression after taking a number of pictures were disappointing. I think that I've gotten used to seeing pictures on websites that are taken by professionals with very expensive equipment and without considering this was expecting to be able to take the same high quality photos. This is not the case, certainly not on the auto settings at least. Don't get me wrong, the difference between the photos that this camera takes and my old camera are immense and it's clearly a much more modern camera. Taking a picture and then viewing it full screen on my desktop pc is very disappointing. Nothing seems very sharp and towards the edges it loses focus. If you then view them at the kind of size you look at them on webpages, for example 854x480 then they look much better.

By default the camera is set up to take pictures in 4:3 format which seems a bit dated now. I've changed this to 16:9. The zoom is very good, colour rendition is pretty spot on compared to how I see things with my own eyes and the camera itself responds very quickly which is handy when you want to quickly grab it and take a picture before the subject moves. The camera automatically recognises if it needs to be in macro mode which is handy. My old camera had a dedicated macro button.

One of the best features in my opinion is being able to transfer the pictures to my pc via wifi and it does this VERY quickly.

The camera comes with a flimsy sheet of paper claiming to be the manual but it's more of a quick start guide. You can find the detailed manual here:[...]
I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB SDHC Memory Card up to 80 MB/s, Class 10 FFP [Newest Version] with mine and have had no issues with it.

The camera came partially charged, I plugged it in without turning it on and it was fully charged within the hour. The top of the camera has a charging indicator light. It comes with a USB to mains charger and the battery is removable.

Overall I'm happy now that I'm over my initial disappointment. One thing to watch out for is how you hold the camera so as to not cover the flash!
on 18 December 2014
I think the other reviews say it all. This is so compact with a high spec, I find it very easy to use, my other camera is an early SLR with a 2 second shutter delay and I never found the flash easy. This is just a delight at a very good price. The only thing I miss is a viewfinder.
on 7 July 2014
Great compact camera with an amazing optical zoom feature. Should be very useful when travelling light on holidays in particular. The only negative aspect - as with many digital cameras - is the difficulty in seeing an image through the screen on very sunny days.
on 14 September 2014
I have just bought this camera and I am still getting used to the way it works, so far everything looks good especially the movie picture quality, though I have a camcorder and didn't buy this for its movie capabilities. After weeks and weeks of research I finally bit the bullet and opted for this model (toss up between this and the Sony HX50, this won due to its far smaller size) and bought it from a well known high street retailer as it was the same price as on Amazon, in stock, and I didn't have the hassle of waiting in for a courier to deliver it.

First impressions are favourable, but and its a big but, the build quality of some of the parts (Telephoto zoom lever and the button you press to take the photo itself which is part of the same mechanism as the zoom lever) look and feel very flimsy, which considering the price of this camera could become a major concern should you ever drop it or give it a very hard bang!
Picture quality looks to be okay so far, but I have a Panasonic Lumix FS7 which takes really good pictures though with a far smaller zoom (one reason I bought this camera was because of the larger zoom), and I can't see any improvement in picture quality with this camera over the FS7 (though I haven't really had a chance to test it out fully yet). I have a longer Zoom Sony bridge type camera (H-1) that I take on holidays, but its far too bulky to put in your pocket and weighs quite a bit as well, so now I can happily just stick this in my pocket and be ready for any shot that takes my fancy (the main reason for its purchase). I am fairly happy with this camera so far, but my concern over its build quality is enough to drop a star.

Update to above review - I have just come back from a long weekend in Scotland where I took this camera everywhere in my pocket without any problems. Just don't drop it and you will be okay. An update on the picture quality now that I have taken quite a few (200 plus) photo's on different settings, this camera's images appear to be over processed, they appear soft and not nearly as sharp as the Panasonics, and I also got some jagged edges and ghosting (main problem with jpeg images) at the long end of the zoom range, so by comparison, the Panasonic lumix FS7 takes far sharper and better quality pictures, so it now just gets a three star rating overall....sigh.
44 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse