5.0 out of 5 stars Paul's magnum opus gets 5 stars!
I've reviewed several other Paul Carrack releases in the past but none have ever received 5 stars.
I feel it's thoroughly deserved here and will be an incredibly difficult project for Paul to follow.

People have complained in the past that Paul can be a bit insular, recording albums in his home studio
and tending to play practically all the...
Published on 17 Nov 2010 by Attercliffe 461

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better
Paul Carrack has always been vastly underrated in my opinion. Aside from his early days with Squeeze and later with Mike & The Mechanics, he has also turned out some great solo albums that really play to the strengths of his soulful voice.

Compare some of the tracks on '21 Good Reasons' or 'Blue Views' with these tracks and I have to agree that this is bit of a...
Published on 4 Nov 2010 by GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul's magnum opus gets 5 stars!, 17 Nov 2010
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)

and tending to play practically all the instruments as well as taking control of production...
no such complaints on this occasion. Paul has employed his good friend Peter Van Hooke to oversee production
and David Cullen has done the arrangements and conducts the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for recordings
which took place at Air and Abbey Road Studios. The results are his best album to date, Paul has never sounded better
and the arrangements of many well know songs are wonderful.

This is an album from a bygone era, the kind of thing Sinatra was doing long ago. It seems to be something
several artists have looked at recently with Peter Gabriel's Scratch My Back and Sting's Symphonicities to name a few.

Paul has said his inspiration was Joni Mitchell's highly recommended Both Sides Now but rather than sticking with his own compositions;
'I Live On A Battlefield', 'Eyes Of Blue', 'Love Will Keep Us Alive' and 'It Ain't Over', he has also taken on several standards
including a couple generally associated with Ol' Blue Eyes himself, 'All The Way' and 'For All We Know'.
I'm glad he did as he has tended to revisit his own material quite a lot on previous albums and the songs chosen enhance this particular album.

I'd warmly recommend this deluxe edition as opposed to the standard CD A Different Hat.
The booklet charts the recording session with some lovely photographs and for all you audiophiles, there's also
a vinyl edition A Different Hat [VINYL] which is superb quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 5 Nov 2010
V. Harvey (Norfolk, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
I was astonished to read the two less than enthusiastic reviews about this CD. Although I love Paul Carrack's previous work and have followed his career, I found it to be an interesting change of direction and his voice seems ideally suited to showcase the tracks included on this album. He never 'over sings'and each track seems effortlessly perfect. It was wonderful to hear him singing with a full orchestra and the beautiful, melodic arrangement of the tracks is to be commended. I've seen Paul sing four of these tracks live at a recent BBC concert (with the BBC Concert Orchestra) and it was an outstanding performance - he's the real deal and can sing them live as beautifully, tunefully and soulfully as on the recording. I would rate this as one of the best CD's I've purchased in 2010 and hope he follows it up with another similar collection. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album, 30 Nov 2010
Mr. David Wilkie (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
The match with Paul and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is a perfect example of harmony. Just sit back, relax and listen. Even better if your computer can mix the tracks together, give it a go. We sat down with a bottle of wine and did exactly that, it was chillout time. Paul you have done it again, lets have a volume 2, without doubt it would sell. For those who may have some doubt, give it a try, the only way I can describe the album is its like the smoothest chocolate with a "Baileys"

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!!, 1 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
Paul Carrack makes good songs sound beautiful, and this album is no exception.
It is a diffent hat but one that suits him,would love to hear more like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure class, 3 Jan 2011
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
I was sitting and putting on my make up while listening to the radio and this sweet velvet voice and gorgeous music just bathed my ears in honey....I was at once whisked away on a cloud of audio delight. Lost in Paul's vocal dexterity but all too soon the 2 songs ended and I was gently placed back in my kitchen. I must have lost time because when the music ended I found that I had completed my make up application and had only the finishing touch of lippy to apply.. Simply, magical :)

Paul's voice has no sign of age, and infact shows only experience and good use..
If you buy this CD you will not be disappointed.
The emotive pull of his tones and beautiful music arrangement is bliss..

Dont think about it, Buy it :)

PURE CLASS...

PS..I had never heard of this guy in my life and I am no spring chicken! but I am now a fan :)

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 7 Dec 2010
Mr. Ja Hill (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
All i can say about this new cd by Paul is
Beautiful songs made even more enjoyable and mind blowing'
with the amazing orchestra and arrangements of each song finished with the truly great voice of this great artist.

As it says
A Different Hat... A different class.. need i say more

The man done us proud yet again

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Hat, 31 July 2012
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
It's a long time since I bought a Paul Carrick CD and this did not disappoint, as good as ever, easy to listen to and unwind after work

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden talent, 17 April 2012
Mr. S. Harvey (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
This is one of the most relaxing albums I have listened to in a long while. First heard at a friends' house and enjoyed so much went home and ordered straight away. Did not know he had recorded so much on his own and shall be working my way through the rest of his albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Hat by Paul Carrack, 15 April 2012
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
This CD is most beautiful. The way Paul Carrack sings, together with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra makes very easy listening. Such a talented man and a talented entertainer in concert. The way he sings, melts your heart and the words he uses are so sincere.
Buy this CD. You will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Hat CD, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: A Different Hat (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the best Albums ever by Paul Carrack, I have followed paul since he was in Mike & The mechanics, and was blown away by this album, is a totally relaxing CD to listen too. Well done Paul what an amazing voice, loved all the songs, but particulary "Don't let the sun catch you crying" & "Love will keep us alive" tremendous listening.