4.0 out of 5 stars Obscurobilly!
Published 3 months ago by Tony Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars super rare rockabilly.
to many well i was wakling down the road just the other day when i saw a chick coming by my way. and where gonna rockabilly be bop to the be bop bop. ill give this one to my brother love rockabilly this is rockasilly. three good tracks on it dwain bell and others from the dance floor but that's my honest opinion you might like it but the good tracks i have on other cds...
Published 3 months ago by mickabilly

4.0 out of 5 stars Obscurobilly!, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
Still ploughing thru this as I write, it being a follow-up to Real Rare Rockabilly. Then as now, 75 selections, some I've got nodding acquaintance with, but mainly never heard of. Derrell Felts, Chaparrels, Larry Brinkley, Lyn Pratt, Eddie Gaines, Gene Sisco, Charlie Feathers, Curly Griffin, Art Adams, Jimmy Stewart, Junior Dean, Hasil Adkins, Emanons, Jackie Morningstar, Joe Poovey, Kent Westbury, Orangie 'Ray' Hubbard (I met him at his home in Cincinnati!), these I'm familiar with, maybe a couple more. But the likes of Lucky Plank and Custer Bottoms are just names, odd at that! All mid-to-uptempo, plenty searing guitar (not much steel so far), bull fiddle ably slapped, honky piano, some sax, the odd fiddle, all the right ingredients, early 50s to 1960 if the dates are right. It's top Div.2/bottom Div.1 in the 'billy stakes for me, I think I'm enjoying it. Maybe too much in one hit? (Is this a complaint? - I don't think so!).

Note from journeyman Brian Parks concentrates on Glen Glenn, Feathers, Adkins and 'Groovy' Joe Poovey, so nothing new there. Dark blue sleeve, label details printed in weenie print in red, I had to use specs AND a magnifying glass to read 'em! Triple fold sleeve, beneath each CD you get recording dates. Iffy sound on a couple, but I put that down to original recording techniques. Super value, a researcher's delight, takes me back to my retailing glory days of the 70s, boots, repros, LPs, rockabilly this'n'that. I'd like to think I'm not the only one with "?" after (most) titles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long Live Rockabilly!, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
Quite a few really good performances on this set, many (in fact, the vast majority) of which I've never heard before. One of my favourite tracks of all time is here- Rockin' In The Graveyard- but two tracks before this one is one of the strangest recordings I've heard. I don't know if it was recorded on stage, in his house, or just poorly produced in a studio, but it is certainly interesting! For anybody trying to build up a collection of rockabilly music by artists other than the recognised 'stars', then this issue along with the Real Rare Rockabilly compilation, also from One Day Music, is an inexpensive way to do it. Great value. P.s. If anybody is wondering about Rock & Roll Rhythm, this IS the recording which appears on other issues as a Mickey Hawks track (apparently he & Moon Mullins were both heavily involved in the Night Raiders).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
WOW!! This collection really blew me away! Some of the tracks I already have on various cd's and/or vinyl, but a lot of the tracks I'd never heard before. This is a must have for the "hard core" rockin' crowd.(Happy clappy jive bunnies steer clear!). Turn up the volume and it's almost like being at the Rockabilly Rave. It'll have you boppin' around the living room for sure.
Stop reading this and just buy it. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Rockabilly Boxset, 14 April 2014
W. G. Franks "Tran67" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
Easily the best Rockabilly Compilation I have ever heard.There is something for everyone who loves Rockabilly here.You won't be disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Rarities, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
I've been collecting Rockabilly since Elvis's 'Mystery Train' and some of these are totally unknown to me. I know it's only a shortcut to putting prices up but I would have liked a few more original label sources - but hey! that's just me. Overall a pleasant surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cd, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
Was very pleased with this cd as it was a three cd set about seventy tracks and not one filler.Amazing bargin well recomended to any one who loves there Rockabilly they will be in heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super RarevRockabilly CD, 10 May 2014
Mrs. Moira May (Hull, East yorshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
Really Great CD, l really enjoy this type of Music of which l grew up with, it keeps me young at heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Rockabilly, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
Fantastic 3 cd set of red hot Rockabilly from One Day. The first cd is worth the money alone as it is none stop high octane stuff. A cd to have if you are looking for some of the rarer items from the Rockabilly era

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 4 Jun 2014
F. J. Greaves (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
I think it's good but there are some tracks that I wouldn't class as rockabilly; they're more country & western.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apology...., 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Super Rare Rockabilly (Audio CD)
I've just rated your service and gave you 1 star.
That's wrong! pressed the wrong button,
That should be 5 stars.
Sorry about that.

Super Rare Rockabilly
Super Rare Rockabilly by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2014)