Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 25 April 2014
This book was a lovely, feel good quick easy read. And with another 3 parts to go, the residents of the village and the reader still don't know Tilly's full back story. With that in the background it's nice to just live in the present. If you've just read something a little heavier (like I had) this is a perfect anecdote.
Cathy Bramley has delivered a captivating novella that is set to be an incredible series of 4.

Tilly Parker is starting over, she's moved to a new town and has started a new job.
There's also her 'new' plot on an allotment. What starts with aspirations to grow veg, shows Tilly that anything can grow at the allotments, even friendships!

I read this on a chilly afternoon and was transported to the allotments through this captivating read.

The mix of characters is hugely entertaining and will have you finding a few new friends.
The foundations have been set for what looks to be some great revelations, with glimpses of people's secrets leaving me eagerly awaiting the next instalment.
on 1 June 2014
We join Tilly on New Year’s Day as she is leaving her home for her first visit to the allotments. Having chosen to isolate herself, she figures this is the perfect time – who will be around on this day of the year?

Single 35 year old Charlie is the first person she meets and she is reluctant to engage with him. He makes an innocent remark, which Tilly can’t handle. It takes six weeks for her to go back as she is getting used to her new job at the local school.

Tilly gets drawn into the community. She thinks she needs isolation but the fabulous inhabitants at Ivy Lane prove otherwise as we watch Tilly slowly coming back to life as they not only give her invaluable support when she makes mistakes but also nurture her, accepting her for where she is in her life.

I loved every single character! Neighbour Gemma provides some laugh out loud moments as well as some more tender moments. I loved the way her mum Christine sneakily draws Tilly in to the committee. Charlie – I’m wondering if he has a mental illness as to me, his actions came across as bi-polar.

The characters who make up the community are people we have all met before and are easy to identify with. I can’t wait to find out more!

Most tantalising of all is the reason WHY Tilly had to move away and start a new life. We know she is emotionally in pain and has found it hard to move on. She is still grieving. But we don’t know her secret and I couldn’t make up my mind out of the two things I considered it might be …

Ivy Lane is full of warmth and belonging. It really is a vibrant community! It captured my imagination and I’m eager to see how the story unfolds in Ivy Lane : Summer.

I would like to thank the publishers for approval via Netgalley.
on 8 April 2014
Review: what a lovely little tale this was! I love the idea of a serialised novel, a bit like The Arcade by Kitty Charles but longer. This first instalment in the serial definitely has the desired effect of making the reader want more! You're brought right into the action with main character Tilly getting up on New Year's Day and going to pursue her new project-her allotment. We find out that Tilly has been through some things recently, and we know they might involve a previous partner, but we are never told exactly what, or who, was involved and that is just so teasing and tantalising and will definitely have me grabbing the next installment as soon as it comes out!

Tilly is a lovely character, I really warmed to her as the story progressed as she warmed to the other characters in this novella, these things happened almost in parallel. She seems rather afraid of getting too attached to people and I think this gives us a clue as to what has happened to her in the past. The funniest thing is that she seemed totally clueless about gardening and so this provides some real comedy moments as the story progresses. There are a host of other characters in this novella, all of whom developed as the story went on, but we don't find out too much about them all, meaning that they will probably reveal themselves further in the next three instalments of this serialised novel!

The storyline itself was sweet. It was a nice easy read and nothing too dramatic happened. I love the fact that it features a teacher, and does paint teaching from a relatic point of view, you have reports to write, planning to do and get ill every holiday-well done to this author for including all of these aspects in this novella, I hope they will continue to be a feature of the next few instalments. I also really loved the fact that her mum loved in Harrogate! This bit was very well-written, so you cold tell this author had actually been there (my home town). I found some of the gardening references a little dull in parts, just because I have no interest in gardening whatsoever, but there weren't too many complex ideas to take in, you plant stuff, it grows, so that was good.

There were some real funny moments in this novella and overall it was sweet and endearing. Being at around 85 pages, this book made a nice short break from a full novel and is definitely something you could read on your commute as it was easy to pick up and put down. I will definitely be read the Summer instalment as I am incredibly intrigued to find out more about Tilly's last and also about the other characters on the allotments. This is perfect reading for this time of year, being spring and all, but I think it would work well later on in the year too, giving new hope to dull days!
on 28 April 2014
Really enjoyed this short book - a variety of characters who are all likeable and look forward to reading what happens in the next book. Like the fact the story is told across several books ... more exciting waiting for the next part!
on 20 March 2015
Having read the paperback to Ivy Lane when I saw the e-books for a further Ivy Lane series I thought these were follow ups to the paperback. No this book is split down to four separate e-books meaning having bought them they are useless. Good job they were only around 99p each!!
This should be made more clear when advertising.
on 17 June 2014
A nice little story - nothing to tax your mind. Rather implausibly set around the most active allotment garens in history! However it is pleasant, light hearted, summer reading. The next 3 parts are on pre-order 1 due out at the beginning of each season up til christmas 2014.
For a 99p read - its fine.
on 3 March 2015
Just finished all 4 seasons of Ivy Lane. I didn't realise you could now get them all in one novel, but never mind.
I really really really enjoyed the story, a lovely heartwarming tale about Tilly, who had a sad secret but moved to a new village started a new job at the local school and got half of a plot at the local allotments in Ivy Lane in the hope of some peace and quiet to help heal her wounds. Peace was the last thing she got with all the assortment of characters at the allotment who where to become her friends. When I came to the end of book four I was so engrossed I wanted the story to continue.
I have now started reading Appleby farm which is promising to be just as good, it is about Freya who had a 'bit' part in Ivy Lane, some other characters from Ivy Lane pop up in it too including Tilly so pleased about that.
I would recommend these books.
on 23 August 2014
A new author for me and I wasn't disappointed, I hadn't realised it was a new series and was gutted when I got to the end & the next installment wasn't released yet, have now read the second book summer & can't wait for autumn to come out, live how these have been written for each season
I like this book very easy to read this is the first one there will be 3 more to follow on
.Tilly Parker moves to start a life she got a new job a new home and she renting a allotment she never had one before what can she growing on it she wanted to go there to get away from it all .something happened in Tilly passed with James to make her want a new start anew life but what I guess we have to wait for the last part to find out .The allotment community draws you in they like one big happy family they all muck in together to do the job that need doing the characters make you feel like you part if the community they are very warm friendly group
I can nit want to read more to follow the story more
If you got a hour or two spare pick this book up I really enjoyed book