5.0 out of 5 stars CLEVER BOOK...REALLY LIKED IT :)
I saw this a while ago and dismissed it, but having come across it again more recently and having read some of the reviews, I thought I'd give it a go and I'm very glad I did.
Published 12 months ago by Mel

3.0 out of 5 stars Different
I tried a sample of this book at first and the beginning had me gripped. It is an original concept a book told from the view of one character a prehistoric man. Who does not have the capacity of speech, but wants to put a baby in his mate constantly. This I got tired of and wanted more thoughts and view points from his mate. I'm giving this book a 3 for originality if...
Published 2 months ago by Lou

5.0 out of 5 stars CLEVER BOOK...REALLY LIKED IT :), 4 April 2014
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
The grammar is spot on and the idea is very clever. It's moving and sexy, with a lot of humorous parallels to modern day relationships thrown in which had me chuckling. Reference was made to the female lead crying for no reason, and the male lead keeping his head down, literally, and trying to fix it to no avail bless him! ;) The noise, (her talking), driving him mad was funny...men really do have a completely different outlook on everything...it's genetic! It's highlighted in many ways in this book, which had me belly laughing, whilst at the same time it was weirdly touching. There was also some tension and drama thrown in as well, so a bit of everything really. The explanation as to the whys and wherefores was a bit far fetched, but it's a story...a story that's well thought out and well written to boot.
Prior to biting the bullet and downloading this, I hadn't read anything by this author, but now I wish I'd given it a go sooner. I've already downloaded the first short story in the Evan Arden series, Otherwise Alone and I have high hopes. Think I've found another author to add to my brill list. Great! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different..., 28 Feb. 2014
In My Honest Opinion (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
Be prepared to suspend disbelief for a lot of this story. It is definitely different in that it has very little dialogue owing to the fact Ehd is a caveman and does not understand Beh's language although he manages to utter a few meaningful words.

The story is told from Ehd's POV. As a caveman you may expect him to be an alpha male but he is far from it. He is very, very sweet. When he finds Beh he doesn't understand all the loud noises she makes that hurt his head but he knows from the first moment he sees her that she is his mate and he must care and look after her but most importantly, he must put a baby in her! The book is funny and sad. I loved Ehd he is just lovely. The sex scenes are well written and it's funny when Ehd says 'HOH'!

Although the blurb explains where Beh has come from, we don't actually understand it all until the epilogue. I would have preferred if we got some of Beh's POV within the story but it still works well having it all from Ehd's POV. There were some aspects as I say where you need to suspend disbelief but overall, I really enjoyed reading it as it is something completely different from the norm. Also, the book covers the whole of their life together.

A recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does she like that, having her lips touched? Does she like having her mouth touch mine? Do I? Yes. Yes, I do., 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished this book and looking at this screen through a sheen of tears, good tears...but tears all the same....

Transcendence means to exist or to experience beyond the level of which is considered normal or physically known....I am rarely touched by stories that make me physically ache in my heart and cry....the beauty and simplicity of this story caused me to do both....and why? There was nothing in this story that caused angst, or anger or the need to lob your kindle across the room in frustration at the situation of the H/h....it was just the simple need of a man to protect, provide and love and his journey in doing that - who would think that a story of a caveman and his mate would be such a heartwarming and pure story of need and survival, discovery, companionship and the passing of years to the end....and that is where my emotions went off the scale...one simple paragraph before the epilogue and I lost it....if we could all guarantee this way to leave our mortal coil with our most beloved...this is the way I want to go.....

Ehd, lives in prehistoric times on his own since his tribe died in a forest fire. Elizabeth (Beh) turns up unexpectedly in his animal pit trap and he claims her for his mate. She is nothing like he has seen before with her strangle clothing and weird noises! He soon wants nothing more than to protect and provide for her and the need to put a baby in her belly - which all now become his purpose in life. All told from his POV as internal dialogue - I felt his frustration with Beh's weird noises and his struggle to understand and his inability to use language (apart from the very simple name-sounds, khizz and luffs) his confusion when trying to understand her many moods and the joy of her discovery's and their coming together as a couple....all around their simple practical daily needs to keep their body and soul and eventually their family together through the seasons. At times I wished we had Elizabeth's POV, especially at key points, but maybe this would've worked against the need for you to feel their relationship without words, to appreciate this was all done by expression, body language, touch and simple gestures....

I absolutely loved this book, it will be one that will stay with me for some time and I will need to read it again. I highly recommend this....it was simply beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird, Wonderful and Original, 10 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Transcendence (Paperback)
This is quite possibly the strangest book I have ever read.
Why is it strange you ask?
Well, lets start with the fact it is told from the POV of a caveman - yes, a caveman - called Ehd.
Ehd cannot speak or understand the spoken language. His every thought and instinct is geared towards survival: food, shelter and mating.
One day Ehd finds a girl and decides - as you do - he is going to keep her and she'll be his mate.
Ehd doesn't know, but we work out quickly through his thoughts, is that she isn't from Ehd's time. She is from ours.
So, strange point number two crops up in that this book contains no conversation, because even though "Beh" can speak, Ehd can't understand, so we never know what she is saying unless we can work it out through Ehd. It's wonderful seeing two people learn to talk so fluently without words.
Ehd is a lovely lovely man. He takes Beh as his mate through lack of options but he is attracted to her and he grows to love her so much! She isn't just "his breeder," she is his everything and Beh proves, by the end, that Ehd is her everything too.
You follow this couple through every high and low, from what I guess to be their teens through to old age and death. You witness their struggles and their triumphs. Their fear and happiness. Their joy and agony. You see their children born and how their life changes. It is a gorgeous tale.
The time travelling aspect is a non-issue all things considered. It doesn't come up until the last quarter and it is something Ehd can't understand, therefore by design or by fault it has to be a non-issue to you as the reader.

The epilogue brought a little tear to my eye and I turned the last page with a smile.
My only grumble would be that it gets a bit repetitive at times but, y'know, CAVEMAN. Since survival and pro-creation are his only goals you expect a level of repetitiveness.

It's hard finding a story that's truly original sometimes and this is definitely a truly original tale.
It's weird, but it was wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luffs this, 5 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
What can i say about this book 5 stars all the way. I was gripped from the beginning and read the book in one sitting, well done shay savage for a beautiful story this book is a must read you will not be disappointed xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 Mar. 2014
Deborah - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me weeks ago and to be honest I've no idea now why I didn't read it sooner, it's only due to the fact that the last 2 or 3 books I've read have been very disappointing to say the least and I was on the verge of resorting to re-reading some of my old favourites that I actually got round to reading it now.
So now I'm kicking myself for not doing so earlier, this is a fantastic read. Yes it's far-fetched and unbelievable in places but that doesn't matter, a couple of pages in and you're completely lost in the book, I loved these characters so much, they felt so real and I know it's corny but I really cared about them and it was almost as if I was there with them. Ehd, I love him and felt truly sorry for him early on, this book is told from his POV and it works really well although there are times when it would have been nice to see things from Beh's side. I admit I was a little sceptical at first as to how a book with so little talking would work but it's written in such a way that it's not needed, the sex scenes were beautifully written and their relationship as it grows feels so real.
Wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars luffs, luffs, luffs it, 23 Nov. 2014
janey (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
4.5 stars. I genuinely don't know how to review this book, it's nothing like I've ever read before, it is so beautiful in it's simplicity, a girl meets a boy...but it is so much more than that, throughout the book you can totally feel both ehd's frustration at not understanding Beh and Beh's frustration at not being understood. However over time they both learn a lot from each other about survival and their lives together. The best part for me was when Ehd showing affection to Beh by running his nose along Beh's face and temple, so simple, but so beautiful, and the absolute joy when Beh kisses or should I say Khizzes Ehd for the first time, well that just about nearly finished me off, but it's the ending that did it, I'm tearing up now just thinking about it. This author is incredibly imaginative in her writing and so refreshing it's a joy to read her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most imaginative and beautiful story I have ever read, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
There are no words to describe how FANTASTIC this book is. I can not praise this book enough. 5 stars are nowhere near enough. This is by far the best book I have ever read!! It has everything. Whilst reading it I experienced every emotion imaginable. It is the most gut wrenching, beautiful, passionate, imaginative, heartbreaking story I have ever read and I LOVED every second of it. Transcendence is the first book I have read by Shay Savage but after this is certainly won't be my last. What an amazing, talented author. After reading the blurb I knew I had to have it. It is so different from anything out there. Nothing comes close to this book. I can not recommend this book enough!! If you haven't read it already, you are seriously missing out. I promise you will not regret it. This is one book that will most definitely stay with me forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and I still love it., 4 May 2014
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
This was the first FanFiction I read and the one that made me read more. I love this story. It still makes me cry, it still makes me laugh. I just think it's something I'll always go back to, again and again. Like a memory recaptured, or an old friend. I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Transcendence, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Shay Savage novel I have read and am so glad I found it! A really interesting concept which doesn't come together fully until the end. Warning do not read the end first as it will totally ruin the story for you. If I was to be picky I would say Edh spends far too much time wanting to 'make babies' with Beh, but a thoroughly absorbing read and highly recommended. There were a few things that puzzled me but I cannot mention it here as I don't want to include any spoilers.

I will definitely be reading more of Shah' s novels. Also it is
such a pleasure reading a book which has been well edited for a change which is not usually the case with Kindle books!

Transcendence