TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 March 2014
When I tried to find a little more information about Mark Selby, most of what came up concerned one of snookers finest, whom I didn't think could be the same MS, and he certainly is not. Our Mark Selby is based these days in Nashville, but is not a country artist his roots are very clearly based in the blues territory. He's certainly written songs for and with Kenny Wayne Shepherd, so that gives a little idea of the area we're looking into here. I saw this set,at an incredible price,saw a few clips on You Tube and ordered it. Contained are four discs three of them CD's and one a DVD. Two excellent studiuo albums, from 2006 releases 'And TRhe Horse They Rode' and 'More Storms Comin'' both as said are excellent releases full of great sewlf written material and range in style from the rock-blues area to some tasty down home resonator slide based songs. The third CD which is also the DVD in this set is a livew outing from 2010 'One Night In Bonn', so he clearly has quite a following there and in europe. A very well recorded and filmed set, that with his very solid band of bass/drums makes an enjoyable show. The bonus sees him talking about and playing, obobviously using video footage, which actually works very well showing us how he is inspired in his writing process. The studio albums contain some great tracks well worth getting this box set for. He's certainly a highly gifted writer and in songs like, 'Don't Throw That Mojo On Me','More Storms Comin', containing some great slide work,'Down By The Tracks' and 'Kink In The Chain', highlights among the 37 songs contained in this set plus the DVD ones as well makew thismake this a set to enjoy again and again, a new name to many but this guys been around quite a while now, and this excellent box set deserves to be heard by as many folk as possible. Great value as I said for a very tasty box of good things, any fan of blues,rock and roots will enjoy this music by one very highly talented singer/songwriter/musician.
on 12 May 2014
Thanks to an Amazon recommendation I have discovered Mark Selby. He's written more well known songs than I had realised and I wasn't aware that he is an artist in his own right. The three CD s in this package are all excellent from the stripped down "The horse he rode in on" to the full works on the live album and " More storms coming in"

The DVD is also excellent

All in all a lot of excellent music for an outstanding price
on 29 July 2014
Like others i got this set by way of recommendation by Amazon for under £8.00 for 3 cds and a dvd it was a steal if i did'nt like it
whats £8.00 these days,but when it came i was delighted.I sent for his other 3 albums all little gems not bad for someone i'd never heard of a week before.The first album is the best but the others are up there pushing. If you are into blues/rock then this is for you buy it while you can.
on 10 June 2014
Although I work regularly with the Blues music circuit, I hadn't ever come across Mark Selby until he was recommended to me by Amazon
This box-set is a really great value package, consisting of: one "Live" concert DVD with Mark performing a paired down 3-piece electric set; one studio album featuring most of the material in the concert, but with added musicians and backing vocalists; and two absolutely amazing acoustic studio albums featuring only himself on vocals, acoustic & slide guitar and (occasional) harmonica.

All of the material on all 4 discs consists of his own songwriting and a very tasty instrumental called:"Peanut Butter,Jelly & A Saucy Little Beaujolais." There are but only 3 cover versions of other standard material, and all done on acoustic guitar. These are excellent versions of Hendrix's "Little Wing" and Dylan's "Down In The Flood".. But the stand-out cover for me is his absolutely amazing acoustic version of the classic "A Whiter Shade Of Pale". I defy any accomplished solo musician to come up with a better rendition of this song than Mark Selby.

Altogether, you are offered 220 minutes of his original material. Many of his songs are given different treatments on different albums. All with blues and R'n'B roots and influences, and all good solid songwriting. "More Storms Comin'","Blue On Black", "Blind Since Birth", "Don't You Throw That Mojo On Me"................the list of great quality songs goes on and on.

All in all, a very thorough portrait of an extremely talented singer/songwriter and musician. Plenty of great R'n'B material and extremely good value for money. I think I paid a lot less than £10 for the 4-disc set, including V.A.T., postage and packaging.

on 31 July 2014
I had never heard of this guy and I bought this on recommendation. He has been around for quite a while and has written a number songs for the more famous such as Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I really like this triple album it is a really good mix of acoustic, blues and rock and is excellent value and a very good listen.
on 30 March 2014
Bought this as a result of an Amazon recommendation and it is great! I can't believe that i have not heard of Mark Selby before. The box set is worth it just for the dvd alone, a really great gig with top Nashville musicians doing the business! These guys are dudes and boy can they play. I am now a confirmed Selby fan and will be exploring his back catalogue. This set is fantastic value for money, 4 discs for under £8 in my case, don't hesitate buy it you won't be sorry!!
on 12 July 2014
Super value box set of high class Blues. A great version of "Whiter Shade Of Pale" on the Acoustic CD.
on 29 September 2014
I took a gamble and bought this because I love blues and was intrigued by some of the reviews when it came up on my suggested listening on Amazon. Wow! How come I have not heard of him before? Blues with a depth of voice that verges on soulful country and guitar playing to match. I put it on not sure what to expect and played the first album through without moving; excellent!
on 1 September 2014
For a complete unknown in the UK, Mark Selby is a revelation. in fact I went out and bought two copies for friends of mine after just hearing the C.D's once. Such a gifted singer and guitarist with a wide range of musical styles. One of my great buys of the last five years.
on 6 May 2014
This set is just incredible value. 3CD+DVD for under £10 - Amazing. Mark and the band rock like crazy on the DVD and the DVD even has extras in the shape of a great promo for Mark's first album.