Format: Audio CD|Change

SOHN, or Toph Taylor, as he is better known to his family and friends, has
delivered a very fine debut indeed with his album 'Tremors'. His music has
some degree of kinship with artists such as James Blake and San Francisco-
based producer Brendan Angelides (Eskmo). He has a gentle vision and a
perfectly beautiful voice; pitched high on the stave and possessing an almost
otherworldly quality which quietly inhabits his compositions like a soulful ghost.

His use of electronic frameworks and crisp beats for his vocal inventions never
gets too carried away. His innate musicality always keeps something in reserve
which results in some truly enchanting moments. The machines never take over.

The most full-bodied number in the set is 'Artifice', built on a solid rhythmic base
which supports a particularly strong vocal performance but elsewhere the fragility
and cunningly fragmented structures of pieces such as the beguiling opening track
'Tempest'; 'The Wheel' with its sumptuous cut-and-paste harmonies and clickety-
clackety beats and the deliciously minimal bubbling funk of 'Lights' convincingly
demonstrate that Mr Taylor is very far away from being a one-trick sonic pony.

The stunning 'Bloodflows' (his finest moment) is alone worth the price of purchase.

Watch this space. I have a strong feeling that SOHN is destined for the big time.

Recommended.
on 24 October 2014
Truly stunning. There is a cold beauty to this album that allows you to explore it from so many different angles, and I find it reflects back as many moods as it projects soundscapes. There are many references to Blake on these reviews and I would throw Mr Woon's hat into the ring also, a mix of the two ?

Watch this live set : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjmE5I1HhYk

What, initially, might seem like a limited sound pallet, evolves into a mesmerizing sonic tapestry that utilizes singing in the round in a way that I never thought could be so effective.

With the greatest respect to my family, they generally prefer popular chart tunes and while they groan at Mr Blake emanating from my speakers, they have succumbed to the sonic beauty that is Tremors ( and a good HiFi delivers this album all the better ).

I implore you to buy this album; firstly because I'm confident that you'll enjoy it and secondly, I want this supported to the level that he'll bring us another !
on 4 May 2014
Discovered this by complete accident while streaming new releases. I was attracted by the Icelandic cover and being a big Bjork fan I thought I would check it out. I had never heard of the Artist but this really is beautiful and quite unique and a definite purchase for me.
on 27 June 2014
truly stunning album. or should i say, stunning piece of art. its been playing constantly in my house... and all my friends got a copy for their birthday!

cannot rate highly enough!
on 5 June 2014
Loved their track - wheels - last year, suspected that this might be a one hit album.. far from it. Beautiful songs, immaculate production. Still listening to it regularly.
on 19 July 2014
Extraordinary sounds and tunes! Listen to this on a good system for full effect.
on 10 March 2015
I was drawn to this album whilst browsing in my favourite shop in Nottingham FOPP. I really had to ask the girl behind the counter who this was as the music was the most fantastic sound I have heard in years. I immediately purchased and advise any music lovers amongst you to do so too, I just can't wait for the next album
on 10 August 2015
Very easy to recommend in any format. One of the best albums I have bought this year. Hard to classify but sounds like you have heard it before (in a good way) while still being innovative and compelling. Bought it for other people too and they agree. if you're wavering, give it a go!
on 26 April 2016
Bought this after hearing a track from it after a TV drama. Tremors is probably the best track and some of it is a little too "electrical" for me. However, it is different and I like his voice.
on 10 May 2014
Great catchy tunes played it in my pub,staff like it,so do the customers. We can't be all wrong. Love this cd