5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous intensity
The Soft Whisper of Dreams is the follow on from The Secret Kiss of Darkness.

I haven’t read The Secret Kiss of Darkness so instead it was read as a standalone book.

The story follows Maddie, who following a bombshell on the day of her parents funeral, travels to stay with friends in Devon.
It’s here that Maddie meets Alex, a...
Published 11 months ago by Kirsty 'Love of a Good Book'

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring
Not a very good story line and boring
Published 5 months ago by Linda Groome

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous intensity, 29 April 2014
This review is from: The Soft Whisper of Dreams (Choc Lit) (Shadows from the Past Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
The Soft Whisper of Dreams is the follow on from The Secret Kiss of Darkness.

It’s here that Maddie meets Alex, a handsome man who is going to play a big part in Maddie’s life.
But don’t believe this is a tale of romance for, Maddie was warned by a Gypsy that danger was coming.
Could it be that the nightmare that had plagued Maddie since childhood, is about to come true..

This story has some great characters in it, people who help Maddie when she needs them most.
Like Kayla and Jayne.
Kayla is an old friend of Maddie’s someone who opens her arms and home to welcome Maddie to Devon.
Jayne is a stranger to Maddie, but the way she helps her was an inspiration.

Christina Courtney has a descriptive ease to her words, a way in which you can instantly like, love or hate a character.
And I definitely loved Alex, he had this dreamy essence to him that if I had met him in real life I’m sure I would’ve been a giggling mess.

Blake Jones on the other hand, I hated that man, hiding behind his religion. He made my blood boil.

This is a wonderfully gripping story that keeps a dangerous intensity within the words to carry the reader to some climatic discoveries.

*My mum later read this, having read The Secret Kiss of Darkness, she read it as a follow on.
” it was lovely to get a chance to catch up with some characters who had captured my interest in the first book and watch their story develop. I enjoyed this story as much as the other and thank the author for returning to Marcombe Hall”

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fabulous book from Christina...., 1 April 2014
I adored The Secret Kiss of Darkness and (most of) the characters and I hadn't appreciated, until I started reading, that The Soft Whisper of Dreams revisits Marcombe Hall, Kayla and Wes. One of the things I hate most about finishing a book is the not knowing what happens after you turn the last page, and so I absolutely loved being able to jump forward in time and see how Kayla and Wes are getting on. (I should say that you absolutely don't need to have read The Secret Kiss of Darkness first - they are very much standalone books if you want them to be!)

Aside from that, the fresh and new storyline involving Maddie and Alex (who was familiar from the previous book) was equally as gripping. There is more danger for the characters in The Soft Whisper of Dreams and it was all consuming. Christina's writing draws you in, and has you living the danger, the sadness and the joy alongside the characters.

Once again, I loved the characters, I loved the story and I loved it!!

I cannot wait for more from Christina in the future!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, mysterious and unashamedly romantic, 20 Mar. 2015
Welsh Annie (Wetherby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Although described as a "follow-on", there's absolutely no need to have read the earlier book - but for those of us who have, it's a lovely opportunity to meet Kayla and Wes again. Maddie is a strong and spirited heroine, and Alex an initially unlikely but ultimately perfect romantic lead. The story tracks the twists and turns of their relationship, but also follows Maddie's quest to find out more about her family - a quest that puts her in serious danger, with some edge-of-your-seat moments and many real surprises. The characters are well drawn, the Cornish setting equally well described: the story is by turn exciting, mysterious and unashamedly romantic, a perfect novel into which to escape for a few hours. I loved it - and, particularly for anyone who read The Secret Kiss of Darkness, the ending is absolutely perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 11 Mar. 2014
This was a nice book to relax into and enjoy it for the romance and the mystery.

Whilst there is an element of danger, it is very much in keeping with the genre of the book and sits comfortably alongside the romance side of the story. I enjoyed catching up with supporting characters from The Secret Kiss of Darkness.

Great story to read on a wet afternoon or chilling out on holiday, which will leave you smiling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreams, 8 Mar. 2015
I did know the characters from book 1 but I do say it works perfect as a stand alone.

It's about Maddie (who is friends with the heroine from book 1.) She goes to visit her friend after her parents died. Oh and she found out she was adopted, and her sister is a real piece of work.

What this book then has is a bit of a mystery. Who were her real parents? Why did they give her up for adoption? Why does she have this strange dream?

And then there is the suspense part. Some secrets are better left buried. You never know who will come for you.

But hey do not forget the romance part. Though this is not a romance book. There are looks, thoughts, but no real romantic action. She meets Alex, who has been in jail and wants to turn his life around. They slowly become friends, they slowly want more, but there is a lot going on. Love comes slowly, and makes it feel real. No rushing into things here.

What we instead get is a mystery suspense love story. The danger is constant, but there is a HEA on the horizon :)

I kind of hope a certain new character gets a book of her own...just saying. She deserves it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another trumph novel for Christina Courtenay, 24 Mar. 2015
I have read Christina Coutenay's novel New England Rocks which I highly recommend, And I have read book 2 The Secret Kiss of Darkness, which I highly recommend in the shadows series. The Soft Whisper of Dreams is part 3 of The Shadows series. Any of The Shadows part series can be read as a stand alone novel. I do think that The Soft Whisper of Dreams is another triumph for this author. With Christina Courtenay writing such briliant novels she certainly keeps her fans dedicated to want and read more of her novels. The Soft Whisper of Dreams is about Maddie Browne who has nightmares from her as a child. After Maddie Browne's parent's die Maddie has a shock to find out that she was adopted. This is a novel that has shocking family secrets. I recommend The Soft Whisper of Dreams to all fans of Christina Courtenay and to all readers that have never read one of Christina's books. I look forward to reading Christina Courtenay's next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft whisper of dreams, 28 Aug. 2014
Lovely story with just the right amount of mystery ,love and humour,fast moving tale of love jealousy and greed. Good .

4.0 out of 5 stars A real treat, 29 Mar. 2015
I was fortunate to win this book in a competition. Having never read Christina Courtenay before, I didn't know what to expect. I wasn't disappointed and finished in record time. I found this to be a real page turner and well put together. The characters are well drawn and there's an element of thriller as well as romance.

I shall certainly be reading more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately a little to predictable, 2 Jan. 2015
I really enjoyed the first in this series and could not wait for the next in the series, however I was disappointed by the unpredictably of the story line. I have become expectant of a great read from Christina Courtenay and this only add further to my disappointment as all the other novels of hers I have found to be highly enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Sequel to The Secret Kiss of Darkness, 18 April 2014
I enjoyed the story of Kayla and Wes in The Secret Kiss of Darkness so I was delighted to find this sequel. Maddie and Alex’s story is equally entertaining. The mystery of Maddie’s birth mother intrigued me and there was a varied cast of characters to add twists and turns to the plot. Excitement and fear alternately raised my heart rate as I read. The story was set in the Cornwall estate that captured my imagination in the previous novel so I enjoyed revisiting it. This time I was one step ahead of the characters as I knew the nooks and crannies in the house – if only I could have warned them what to watch out for. I found this a delightful escape and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can wholeheartedly recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a heartwarming love story. Now, I wonder if Kayla has any other friends who are coming to visit her?