5.0 out of 5 stars Tony's back
Tony's back and this time he has kangaroos to contend with. And falling in luuuurrve. I'm not sure what's more scary for him.

Published 14 months ago by Joo

3.0 out of 5 stars good...but.....
enjoyed Tony's 3rd book, however not quite the funny stories there as in the first 2 books....which had plently of lol moments that this book didn't have...still, I will definitely read the 4th when it comss out.
Published 10 months ago by Mr. M. J. Flanagan

5.0 out of 5 stars Tony's back, 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Kamikaze Kangaroos! 20,000 Miles Around Australia. One Van,Two Girls... And An Idiot. (Kindle Edition)

This book does exactly what it says on the cover. It's the tale of Tony, his sister Gill and Gill's best friend, Roo. Roo is Australian, so Gill goes to stay with her and Tony tags along. Problem is, Tony is 3 months late, so there's a bit of a rush for them to get some agricultural work done so they can extend their visas.

Rusty the van is the 4th character in this book and I'm sure he'll be a popular one. I manged to track down some photos of him on facebook and he was even brighter than I imagined.

I think Tony's books should be read in the right order as I feel this one was more "for the fans". There's less madcap animal antics, and a whole lot more of Tony "the man". I did think at times the book was a bit long, although there was nothing I'd not want to read, nor did I want it to end. The good thing about Tony is that he always has a story and so you know it won't end.

This book is Tony's time in Australia, from picking fruit, to laying paving slabs via setting up exhibition halls. From living in and by the side of Rusty, to dorms to bedsits. From walking the Bibbulmun trail (100km!!!) to just travelling because they wanted to. Armed with just a few clothes, unsuitable boots and trail mix, this is the life you think you might want to live if you just up sticks and go. At times I felt jealous of them, most of the time I was happy with my warm soft bed and large choice of food.

I feel I know Tony and Gill and Roo more than I should. As I said, this is much more personal story of the trio. Tony has a magic way of writing that is very readable and he is not afraid of telling the truth. This was another very very enjoyable read.

There are photos from the trip on Tony's website tonyjamesslater

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant! Could be the best one yet., 14 Feb. 2014
I had been looking forward to reading Tony’s adventures in Australia since he left us hanging at the Arrivals hall at Perth airport at the end of his last book.
Kamikaze Kangaroos did not disappoint in the slightest. It’s bloody brilliant! In fact, I think it could be the best one yet. It still maintains all of the calamitous Tony James Slater situations that we have come to expect from him, and, of course, laughs by the bucket-load. But this book also has a level of emotion and sensitivity that sets it apart from his other books. Who knew Tony could write so sensitively and thoughtfully about love and loss? He even made me cry! It’s almost as though he has - dare I say it - GROWN UP since his last book. Nah, who am I kidding? He’s still a child at heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars another amazing book..., 21 Feb. 2014
.... From Tony James Slater. Seriously, everyone should own at least one of his books, better still all 3.
This is a man who makes clumsiness an art, isn't afraid of showing his feminine side (including clothing), loves his family, has avoided death on more occasions than I can mention and has the strangest connection with wild animals......

I've laughed out loud at all of his books, reading them is an absolute pleasure and I look forward to the release of the next one (s) as soon as possible :-D

4.0 out of 5 stars Again Hugely Enjoyable., 17 July 2014
Another entertaining read which I enjoyed. Tony takes you on an entertaining tour of Australia with a bonus of New Zealand. There are some adventures on the way which are humourously told. Even the 'sex scenes' with his newly acquired girlfriend Roo are amusing although I'm not sure Roo's dad would be thrilled to bits. Roo's Mum sadly died after a battle with cancer which was movingly described.
My one reservation, hence the 4 stars, was with a section of the book where Tony and companions were working in the fields. The treatment of a supervisor who was, excuse the phrase, a bit simple, went beyond 'having a laugh' and did jar a nerve. I suspect Tony himself might wish those episodes had not occured.
Other than that I look forward to book no 3. Heaven only knows what went wrong during Tony and Roo's two weddings; one on Aus and one in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Keep Getting Better, 20 Feb. 2014
This is the third book I've read from Tony, I'd like to say he's growing up, but that would be both a lie & a shame! It follows his adventures with his sister, her friend & a knackered old van around Australia & to New Zealand. Written in his usual quirky style it will make you laugh, think & possibly have a small snotty blub at the same time.

Bring on the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book from Tony James Slater., 2 Oct. 2014
I very much enjoyed Tony's earlier book That Bear Ate My Pants and wondered if Kamikaze Kangaroos would be just as good. I needn't have worried - it's even better! It's written in a very easy to read conversational style which totally engages the reader. He is a born raconteur and master of earthy language! He embarks on a year long round trip of Australia with his sister Gill and her friend Roo.They travelled in Rusty a battered technicolour, handprint painted old van. I liked the fact there was a link to Tony's website where there was pictures of Rusty, Roo, Gill and Tony and of the places they visited. There's also a link to his blog. I enjoyed reading about his growing relationship with Roo. The reader can see a more sensitive side to Tony. I think the three of them are a bit crazy and throw themselves headlong into some madcap adventures. There's also a trip to New Zealand for good measure. I particularly liked the section describing their trek of the Bibbulmun Track - sheer madness! It's laugh out loud funny in parts together with some beautiful description. Now I need to read the second book then read them again in order.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... made it difficult to show that this was my favourite of the three, 18 July 2014
Having read the first to in the series and rated both 5 stars made it difficult to show that this was my favourite of the three. Detailed, thorough account of travels through Australia, coupled with entertaining prose on making a living out of very little (apart from a tormented van named Rusty). I even enjoyed the romantic twist which added even more to this wonderfully simple yet enjoyable read

4.0 out of 5 stars A talented writer, 26 July 2014
A talented writer with a great sense of humour. This, the third volume in the series, shows a greater sense of maturity although he still seems positively obsessed with stories about his testicles; we really don't need to know that level of detail Tony. Essentially, he comes across as a caring individual. Keep writing, please.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet without a doubt., 11 Mar. 2014
I have read Tony's two previous travel books so knew what to expect but this one is in a different league.
A very well written tale of their travels from the deserts of Australia to the snow capped mountains of New Zealand. he has managed to make this book funny, poignant, interesting and informative. I won't spoil the book by going into any detail of it's content. Just buy it and find out for yourself, you will not be disappointed.

Looking forward to the next installment. Hint,hint!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny and exciting Australian Odyssey., 10 Mar. 2014
I was given this book to Beta Read.

Tony finds himself in Western Australia with his sister, her best friend Roo and Rusty the aged hippy camper van. Between them they drive, hike, fly, sail, ski climb, work and love their way on an incredible Australasian adventure embracing Oz, New Zealand and Bali. Tighten your seat belts,because you're in for a riotously funny and exciting ride.

Tony, you never fail to deliver! Hurry up with the next one, I can't wait!