5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera!
I've had the camera over a week now and has some opportunity to test it and also use it for genuine photos rather than just test shots.

I've got a Sony NEX 5N and last year bought a Sony RX100 - mostly for its small size.

Although I have other cameras those are my main comparison cameras.

My main reason for buying the Sony a6000 was the...
Published 3 months ago by Paul W

1.0 out of 5 stars No Electronic Level Gauge Display!
Published 13 days ago by BWFC77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera!, 9 April 2014
Paul W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Although I have other cameras those are my main comparison cameras.

My main reason for buying the Sony a6000 was the Sony marketing of supposedly amazing auto-focus capabilities and also for the electronic view finder - which neither the NEX 5N nor RX100 have.

As well as landscapes I do also like to take occasional action shots of my dog and also wild life - a couple of years ago I went on a sea safari and got some excellent shots of dolphins and seals with my Nikon D700.

*** Auto Focus ***

The Sony a6000 has 179 AF points which the Sony marketing implies can quickly track any moving object in the frame and get perfect focus every time.

My young Labrador never stays in one place long enough and its a challenge getting action shots of her - hence my excitement when I saw the Sony marketing of the super fast autofocus system of the a6000 and the videos I saw on the Internet of the a6000 easily tracking fast moving subjects and every shot being in focus!

It looked like all I need do was whip out the camera, switch it on and it'd be able to automatically shot rapid action shots of my fast moving dog.

If only my experience matched the marketing. Instead the Sony struggled to even spot my small brown Labrador in outside locations ( fields, muddy paths etc ). Leaving it up to the Sony camera I was lucky to get any shots in focus!

Its very good at rapidly shooting 20 or 30 shots - all out of focus as far as my dog was concerned - though the grass and path behind were nicely focused!

This certainly didn't match the marketing and I was very disappointed and almost ready to give up on the camera.

I think the issue is my dog is too low contrast and not big enough to get the Sony's attention - put her in a high visibility jacket or get a large white dog and I suspect it would work much better.

To be fair to the camera I've only tested with my dog so far and it may well work very well with more high contrast subjects.

After lots of attempts and playing with the settings I abandoned letting the camera make decisions and used central focus AF - as long as I kept her inside the spot when she was running towards me then I'd say more than 60% of the shots were in focus. Which given how fast she runs this is not too bad at all. Also a reasonable amount of depth of field helps!

I did try the tracking facility and that did notice my dog and track her but the hit rate was no better - probably worse - than me manually tracking her.

With that disappointment out the way I realised the AF system was not going to perform the miracles shown in online marketing videos.

On the plus side the AF is very fast and generally fairly accurate as long as its focused on the right thing.

The AF also appears to be able to operate in slightly lower light than the AF of the NEX 5N.

The AF is certainly a step up from the NEX 5N and RX100 in terms of focusing speed and number of frames per second.

*** Electronic View Finder ***

My other reason for the a6000 was the electronic view finder - and I have to say the a6000 EVF is excellent - bright and clear and copes well in low light.

Having said that I don't have much experience of other EVFs but I was very happy with the Sony a6000 EVF.

*** Image Quality ***

The next question I had was image quality of a6000 vs NEX 5N vs RX100.
At the lower end of the ISO scale - 800 and less - they were all pretty much the same. Very careful pixel peeping sees the a6000 and 5N being very, very slightly better than the RX100 but in reality you'd never notice the difference.
But the advantage the a6000 has is 24 mega pixels vs 20 of the RX100 and 16 of the NEX 5N.
So the a6000 wins in the sense you get bigger images ( and prints ) but with no significant loss of image quality in terms of low ISO noise. Of course 99% of the time you won't notice - you need to be creating 4 foot by 5 foot posters to start to notice!

At the high ISO end of things the RX100 - while providing excellent images at ISO 1600 - 6400 - is still a bit grainier than the other cameras. Not so bad as to be an issue though - you really have to look hard at 100% image size. But there's no doubt the NEX 5N and a6000 produce less noisy high ISO images.

On the other hand the difference between the a6000 and NEX 5N is much, much smaller. You REALLY have to look hard to notice any difference.

The in camera high ISO JPGs are slightly better on the NEX 5N. Re-sizing the a6000 images to 5N sizes improves them but I still feel the 5N has the advantage. The a6000 JPG noise reduction has a habit of making images a bit too smooth and smeary with a loss of detail.

But RAW images are slightly better from the a6000 than the 5N. I used the lastest version of the Sony Image Data Converter software to process the RAW images as well as Lightroom 5.4

I tested with some ISO 3200 images and without noise reduction applied they look pretty bad! But the a6000 marginally less bad.

Applying noise reduction with the Sony Image Data Converter software set to Auto noise reduction improves things massively but the a6000 images come out looking better when viewed at 100% on screen. Slightly less smeary and more pleasing looking noise on the a6000 vs the 5N. Again at normal size prints you won't notice the difference - its only pixel peeping you notice these things.

So in terms of image quality the a6000 is very similar to the other cameras but wins because its 24 mega pixels allowing for larger prints.

One thing I did notice was the a6000 image was slightly brighter than the NEX 5N image. Even though I shot the same thing at the same time in the same light with the same lens, shutter, ISO and apatures. Maybe its a fluke but perhaps the Sony sensor is slightly more light sensitive at the same ISO. It'll be interesting to see expert reviews with proper tests.

*** Ease Of Use ***

Where the a6000 definitely wins over the NEX 5N is its ease of use. The menu structure and navigation is so much easier on the RX100 and a6000 which share similar menus structure. I personally found the NEX 5N's interface a nightmare to use and never really liked it.

The a6000 is also much more customisable than the NEX 5n. It has 3 buttons you can assign to your own commands as well as being able to customise things like the wheels, dials and some of the menus.

I've not used the 5N in a while and was swearing a bit trying to navigate its menus ready to set it up for testing!

Sometimes its silly little things that help. For example if you go in to image playback on the NEX 5N and then press the menu button it'll go back to the last menu used. Do the same thing on the a6000 and it goes automatically to the playback menu with the delete menu highlighted - so you then just select the delete menu and then choose what to delete. On the NEX 5N you go back to the previous used menu and then have to navigate to the delete multiple images menu - all of which takes time. Sounds silly but just makes the camera easier to use - and there are lots of little improvements like this that make the a6000 an easier to use camera.

*** Battery Life ***

Battery life on default settings seems quite poor - certainly compared to my Sony RX100 which just keeps on going! I can go on a week's holiday with the RX100 and take a few hundred shots and still have 50% power left.

The a6000 seems to be down to 40% power after 1 day and 100 shots.

However I switched off the Pre-AF feature to save power and this has definitely helped reduce battery consumption. Pre-AF continuously focuses at whatever the camera is pointing at when on. When off the camera only focuses when you half press the shutter button.

For most things leaving it off is fine and saves power. Only if you are trying to shoot fast moving/changing things like children and dogs would it be a good idea to keep the Pre-AF switched on.

However I'd still strongly recommend getting a spare battery.

*** Movies ***

Movies. Until now I've always preferred a dedicated camcorder to using a camera for video. But I've done a few test videos with the a6000 and one word - WOW! Video quality is surprisingly good - even under low lighting. I'm really impressed.

*** Summary ***

To sum up this rambling review.....

If you own a Sony NEX 5N then the main reasons to upgrade to the a6000 are:

* The excellent electronic viewfinder
* Faster frames per second and slightly faster AF
* Higher mega pixel sensor
* Better menu structure
* Easier to use with customisable buttons
* Marginally better high ISO RAW images but high ISO in camera JPGs not quite as good. Maybe Sony will improve this in a later firmware update.
* Wifi - I've used the Sony remote control app on my Android phone and it works quite well.

I wouldn't say image quality is a reason to upgrade unless you really need a 24 megapixel sensor and its not that necessary except for very large prints. The easier interface, AF speed and EVF would be the main reasons to update.

If you own an RX100 than the advantages of an a6000 are similar - except the menus which are common to both cameras. But you lose the amazing battery life of the RX100.

Downside is the a6000 while not a big camera is much bigger and heavier than the compact Sony RX100. Still way lighter than my Nikon D800 though!

After using the Sony a6000 for around 10 days I'm really pleased with it. There's a lot to learn but its generally easy to use and gives you a lot of creative options. I'm still learning many of them!

**** Update ****

Having spent the weekend away in Bath taking lots of photos I wanted to give an update.

Image quality is great - though I sense 24mp is the maximum for that sensor - sometimes some slight noise can be seen at low ISOs where there are shadows in the photo as well as bright areas.
No big deal and only visible with careful pixel peeping. I suspect the sensor is better than the sensor on the NEX 5N but not a massive leap better - Sony taking it to 24 mega pixels vs the NEX 5N 16 mega pixels is pushing the boundries.

But over all this camera does take great photos. Exposure is generally spot on as is auto focus. Auto focus does a good job in low light - it gets quite dark inside some parts of the Roman baths but the AF never faltered at any point.

I was also impressed how far JPGs could be processed in Adobe Lightroom and still look good. A tourist had taken a shot of me and my partner - and unfortunately we didn't spot till later it was way over exposed. I assumed it was for the recycle bin but I had a quick play in Lightroom when I got home and mostly using just auto settings was able save the shot and it looked both natural and correctly exposed.

The ISO Auto multi image noise reduction does a good job of minimising noise at high ISOs while retaining detail. This feature is absent on the NEX 5N though it does have other multi image noise reduction options but I they don't seem to work quite as well as the a6000s.

The viewfinder is a real bonus over the NEX 5N's lack of view finder. I'm finding I'm using it a lot - especially on bright sunny days. The NEX 5N screen becomes very hard to see when its really sunny.

The movies I filmed with the a6000 have really impressed me. I recorded a short clip of some practice singing in Wells cathedral and despite it being very dark the image has come out really, really well!
And to my surprise the sound quality from the in-built mic is also really good.

I also tried again one morning in some fields to shoot my dog running using the multi-point AF detection facility. Not sure what name Sony give it but the idea is the camera spots what you are trying to photograph and automatically tracks it as it moves - making it easy for you to take a rapid succession of perfectly focused shots of moving objects.

Despite it being a really bright day and me using f8 at 1/500 of a second at 70mm I am still not having much luck photographing my dog with the automatic facilities.

After a lot of experimenting I think the problem is the camera is not looking for a moving object - which is what I assumed it was doing. Instead its hunting the image for the main subject. It defines main subject as the closest high contrast thing in the image - regardless of whether its moving or not. I suspect its also using face detection and would prioritize a human being in the image. Which is why people taking photos of other people are having much more success than me trying to photo a dog.

In my first attempt I was kneeling down with the sun was behind me and the dog running towards me. On viewing the shots taken I realised it'd taken 10 perfectly focused shots of my shadow in front of me! Obviously this was much higher contrast than my brown down on green grass.

I tried again in a different location and this time it focused perfectly on the patch of lighter green grass my dog ran past!

The solution is obvious - I need a higher contrast dog! She's a medium brown small Labrador - the Sony can't cope with that unless I'm zoomed in enough for her to be the only thing in the frame. My Sony 16-70mm doesn't allow for that - I need something with more reach that allows me to stand some distance away but still have her zoomed right in.

The other option is to use the tracking facility - which can be challenging as the dog runs at high speed towards you. I found using centre focus spot and tracking manually is actually easier.

I do have a 2 year old Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 which I will update with v2 firmware and report back when I've done some more tests.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile upgrade from NEX6, 3 Jun 2014
Dabbler - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought the A6000 because I wanted a faster autofocus than my NEX 6. I was also interested in the upgraded resolution this camera gives.

I bought a kit with the 16 to 50 Zoom but I need to be replaced it with the 18 to 55 as I believe that this lens gives sharper images than the kit lens.

The odd thing is that thinking about this review I don't actually have a lot to say about this camera. Yes things have improved over the NEX6 the autofocus in particular is much swifter. I find myself using the viewfinder a lot more than the screen It is much better than the previous NEX6 Finder, even though on paper the resolution is lower. It is much more responsive and I find the colour difference between the viewfinder and real life a lot closer than the older camera.

I do like the improved layout of the controls and the extra function button is a benefit to me and it's quicker to change things like autofocus mode. There are almost too many focus modes now with compatible lenses. I like the slightly enlarged handgrip but for those people with large hands they might find their fingers get too close to the lens.

I use this camera with the Sony EA2 adaptor quite regularly, and it works really well especially with the Sony Zeiss 24 to 70 mm lens although this combination does look a bit ridiculous and does weigh quite a lot.

Resolution wise the extra eight megapixels makes a difference especially when cropping in. It now matches the resolution of my A900, although I still prefer the full frame DSLR for quality the a6000 is certainly smaller and lighter.

Low light or high ISO performance is okay but not amazing, better than you might expect for 24 megapixel sensor, they have improved the technology since the NEX 7.

Battery life well I would say it last about the same as the NEX 6 does, I took about 200 photographs the other day and it dropped to about 50%, only about a dozen with flash. I'm continually impressed by the fps, although it is not faultless on quick moving children for example coming to camera it was a successful about 50% of the time. This is also very dependent on you being able to reframe the image that quickly on a viewfinder find out which is continually blacking out after taking a frame.

I have been quite impressed by the exposure metering, not often is the camera fooled by tricky situations.

I like the new layout of the control dials, they seem to be stiff enough without being too stiff or too easy to move by accident.

Overall I'm impressed by this camera and it's a keeper, that is until they bring out a budget full frame Alpha camera that means I can retire my A900.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beating the full size DLSR's at their own game., 1 July 2014
Clashcity Rocker "Clashcity Rocker" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Sony have pulled some serious masterstoke on this. Not content with selling Nikon, Canon and Olympus their sensors for their own cameras, they have made their own camera that beats them all.

The auto-focus is really quick, they have clearly nailed phase detection focusing on mirrorless cameras, something that's always been a challenge previously. Sony claim the quickest on the market for any APS-C camera, including traditional mirrored DSLR model, and from what I have seen so far, it's hard to argue their claims, focusing is REALLY good, and lightening quick, and this alone makes it a worthwhile upgrade from previous-gen NEX cameras.

If you go for the kit with the the bundled 16-50 PowerZoom lens, then you should be pleasantly suprised, kit lenses are usually a mediocre affair, however the bundled lens here is pretty decent if you are starting out on the E-mount format, I got some nice shots right out the box, and it's compact size makes it a good walk-about lens. It also has in-lens stabilization.

The viewfinder is exceptional, whilst on paper it seems slightly lower resolution than the one in the NEX6, don't that put you off, this one performs better, less is sometimes more. Whilst there are many DSLR snobs that will scoff at electronic viewfinders, there are several key advantages, namely you can overlay onto the picture, for example, the REALLY helpful "Focus Peaking", which will show the areas that are in focus, great if you want to use a old lens and focus manually. EVF are also benefecial in low light shooting, and they are also useful as they show what your resulting picture will look like. EVF's have really come along in the last couple of years and are now a real competitor to the optical viewfinders, offering some real tangible benefits, with little in the way of downsides.

Onto the camera onboard software. Sony have thankfully taken the camera menu system from their well respected A7 full-frame range, so it's really quick and easy to find the setting you are after, and a big improvement on the previous generation NEX cameras.

There are ample customisations, and several dedicated function buttons you can assign your own functions to, making the camera work the way you want to work, not the other way around.

Build quality is exceptionally good, it feels like a very solid camera, without feeling too heavy, it also balances very well, The body grip has a nice feel, and seems a bit larger than previous NEX camera, so it suits bigger hands better.

As with most EVF cameras, there is a sensor to switch between LCD and EVF when you put the camera to your eye, it's a little bit sensitive, but it does work, and definately saves battery life.

So far, it's very hard to criticize anything with this camera, is been great at everything I have put it up against. If I had to find some minor quibbles, they would be:

Battery life isn't that great. (I found that turning off pre-focus improved battery life quite considerably and put it back to acceptable levels)

NFC tag positioning isn't that good, the strap fixing gets in the way when tapping to transfer.

There is no manual and the online version is dreadful. With a camera that does this much, a decent manual is needed, Sony NEED to sort this out.

They removed the digital level sensor that the NEX5R and NEX6 had. (why???)

Bizarrely it doesn't ship with a hot-shoe cover. Seriously Sony, that costs what 0.25p to the price. I had to buy one from ebay for a quid.

If you are looking for something that's better performing than a mid-range DSLR, cheaper than a mid-range DSLR, smaller and more portable than any DSLR, this really needs to be top of your shopping list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 11 April 2014
I am really pleased with the A6000. The autofocus is super fast and it manages to accurately track my children on their garden swing, no mean feat. Coupled with a 16gb class 10 sony sdhc memory card it fires away at 11 fps. I am particularly impressed by the low light performance that the sensor delivers. The selp1650 is a great match for the camera body and you can use its manual focus ring to zoom rather than the power zoom switch if you prefer. The EVF is superb, allowing you to frame up your image and capture the shot. In fact you very quickly forget that it is an EVF at all and find yourself behaving as though it were an SLR type optical viewfinder. There is no shutter lag at all, this is a really responsive camera. It is highly customisable and has all sorts of interesting modes and features for you to play with if you are in the mood. Equally you can stick it in full auto, shutter priority, aperture priority etc etc etc.
Sony have very cleverly delivered a camera that will delight any photographer from beginner (eg. my 8 year old daughter) right through to seasoned professional (eg. my father, now retired, ex fleet st)
I have not had any problems with the eyepiece cup, it is extremely secure when properly fitted.
If you can get hold of one of these cameras any time soon then I am sure that you will be thrilled with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the Sony Nex6 - another masterpiece from the Sony photographic team, 21 July 2014
I believe that Amazon reviews are usually the most helpful and dependable, so when people choose to rate an outstanding product as '1 star' because they lost the eyepiece, it's being very unfair to the manufacturer - you the lost he eye piece not Sony!

Also, I think it's helpful to have some context - especially with cameras. In my case, I like to shoot casually; friends and family (kids), with some sports, holidays and cars. I have recently owned: A Sony Rx100 (simply outstanding), Fujifilm X-M1, Sony NEX6, Panasonic GM1 (crazy small and cute but terrible image noise), Canon S120 and Canon EOS40D.

What's so great about the A6000?

1) It's simply the most ergonomic of all the small APSC cameras anywhere near this price point. Only the Fujifilm X-T1 is better and that's twice the price! It is very compact but also feels very sturdy and comfortable grip for prolonged use. It feels like a real camera.

2) The photo quality is far superior to my RX100 or Fujifilm X-M1 in terms of sharpness and more natural looking skin tones - especially compared to the Fuji, which tends to make faces look a bit wax-like.

3) For kids, animals and sports it's simply unbeatable unless you pay more than twice the price. It is amazing at tracking fast moving objects from any angle or speed. It means that the photos have lovely depth of field - isolation of the main subject from the background - which is nicely blurred. The continuous shooting is approx. twice as fast as my previous digital SLR - again, amazing, I don't know how Sony have done but it works great.

4) Video is crisp, creamy-smooth panning, and the tracking focus helps the main objects really stand out - which smaller cameras simply cannot achieve. It looks stunning on a full-HD screen.

Negatives?
The lens selection is very poor compared to Fuji who make lovely lenses for the X series range, Canon or the 3/4 range. However, they do have some pretty good lenses which tend to be very good value for money. However, I have not tested the new SELP18-105Z which is supposed to be an excellent all-round lens.

In summary, it's simply the best all-round camera at this price point, with photo quality to match many full-frame digital SLRs and can beat many of them when it comes to shooting kids, animals or sports. The only downside is the lens selection - until I test the SELP18-105G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 27 Jun 2014
This camera is all I was looking for. Fast focus, easy to carry and the images... well difficult to say something different of amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality, 21 April 2014
S. C. Lee "Karpy" (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This is a very fast autofocus camera. I have tried it with my 18-200 lens and it is blindingly quick. I bought this as an upgrade from my NEX5 and it is well worth the money. I would highly recommend this for an point and shoot to a keen ameture photographer as it can be set very easily from the view finder to cope with any tyupe of photographic effect you may require.

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I a photographer now?, 23 May 2014
I'm going to start off by saying that I am a complete amateur at photography. As in, before this camera, my only experience was from taking photos with a phone camera or with a very old point and shoot.

I will preface the first part of my review by saying that this camera makes it very easy to take good pictures. It has a plethora of versatile automatic modes, and some specific modes which adjust most settings automatically, but allow some features to be user defined – such as shutter speed or aperture. The function of almost all features and buttons can be determined by the use of the on screen guide – which I found intuitive and helpful. Any features more complicated can be studied further in the guides and manuals available online or in the box. Despite the ease of use, this camera does not hold your hand needlessly. I have delved a little into the manual modes, and find that they are initially confusing and complicated, but in being this way do not water down the features in order to make the camera more accessible to amateurs. This makes this camera suitable for both amateurs and enthusiasts.

Now, let’s get on to hardware. This camera is light, portable and doesn't make much of a dent in my bag, yet holding it now in my hand, it feels strong and the buttons meaty. I'm not going to test it, but I would imagine it could take a couple of tumbles without being completely broken, but I can’t imagine it would do much for the gorgeous black finish. Now this might just be my sweaty hands, but I find that many surfaces of the camera get very greasy and smudgy very quickly. One issue likely to affect more non-sweaty handed people is the fact that even with attached viewfinder hood, (which by the way is solid and has not once fallen off) many people’s faces still touch the screen, transferring the inevitable multitudes of creams, lotions and potions to the lovely shiny surface. I have had coats of make-up left after friend have had a play even for moments. Moving on to the viewfinder. This bit of kit is one of those things that I do not have any comparable experience with, this being my first proper camera, however I will say that it is an invaluable tool in taking many types of shot. I will say, that despite the fact that I prefer to take pictures through the viewfinder, the resolution leaves much to be desired. Maybe it is my spoilt young “retina display” generation eyes, but I can simply tell that I am looking at a screen, being able to see individual pixels and the difference in colour from reality, no matter the settings used.

Now, let’s move on to picture quality. The resolution of this camera is pretty incredible – with little noise even at 100% crop in good lighting. The picture quality is not the best I have seen for low light, and in some more dull-lit scenes, the colours have a tendency for being washed out compared to photos highly processed by for example phone cameras. This in my eyes is not an issue however, because the post processing available by even free consumer photo apps is much more advanced than in built phone software. Now, let’s talk about files. Initially as a “newbie” photographer, I selected the setting for the camera to output jpeg files. This appealed to me because the pictures taken initially looked better than raw pictures, since they were processed by the cameras in built software. Now the jpeg encoding on this camera is pretty fantastic, and if you don’t feel like post processing your pictures, it is a good immediate alternative to having to. I invested in adobe lightroom however, and I pretty much only now shoot in raw. The level of correction and quality of pictures is simply fantastic using raw, and will only get better as you get more adept at processing. One gripe I do have, is that the automatic ISO mode often chooses a setting too high, increasing the noise of pictures.

I carry this camera around every day, finding that it is perfect for those moments that you just want to remember, without being a burden in my bag. Picture quality is great and the camera is sturdy. Feel free to comment with any further questions, as it is hard to write a comprehensive review about such a complex product.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite camera. I have also bought a few vintage ..., 7 July 2014
R. S. Peter "raj" (london) - See all my reviews
My favourite camera. I have also bought a few vintage lenses, and using some adaptors that I got off Amazon have fitted it to this camera. the photos are fantastic even in low

1.0 out of 5 stars No Electronic Level Gauge Display!, 9 July 2014
Only received this today and sent it straight back (Amazon Prime). For some reason known only to Sony, they've stripped out the electronic level gauge display. Now this might not matter to some (or even most), users, I don't know, but it is the only display I use and it has been in my sony cameras since the A55 (even on my pocket HX20V). I was upgrading from my much used and loved Nex6 (which has the feature, as does my A7), so this (for me) turns out to be a major step backwards. Really can't understand it - and even more interesting will be to find out if it is a software issue (which might be remedied later) or if the necessary hardware is actually missing. I know I should have done more research, obviously, but to be honest, when something is touted as an 'upgrade' you expect additional features to what was there, not fewer, surely?