5.0 out of 5 stars B-sides too
Published 8 months ago by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars why oh why!
Published 10 months ago by dutch

5.0 out of 5 stars B-sides too, 26 April 2014
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Abba Gold Anniversary Edition (Audio CD)
I have bought nearly all of the tracks here in one form or another several times over, and I've reviewed them too, including Gold: Greatest Hits and More ABBA Gold. I nearly missed the fact that this edition rounds up some of the B-sides, although the selection is a little strange. Some of the B-sides were originally released on singles that were only released in one or two countries (and not the UK) so their A-sides aren't always here (though I have them elsewhere) but seeing that somebody else has pointed out that no mention is made of where those B-sides appeared, I list them here. Note that some B-sides were also included in More ABBA Gold so I include those too.

I cannot find anywhere that Man in the middle was used as a B-side despite its inclusion here on the B-sides CD. Meanwhile, some great B-sides including Tropical Loveland (B-side of Fernando) are omitted. You'll also see that I've been waiting for you appears both as a B-side (where it commonly appeared in Europe) and an A-side (which it was in Australia).

Many but not all of these tracks have appeared on the original albums or on bonus tracks added to those albums, but here's the list.

Eagle - Thank you for the music
The visitors - Head over heels
I wonder - Name of the game
Lovelight - Chiquitita
Cassandra - The day before you came
She's my kind of girl - Ring ring
I am just a girl - Nina pretty ballerina
Gonna sing you my love song - ?
King Kong song - I've been waiting for you
I've been waiting for you - So long
Rock Me - I do, I do, I do, I do, I do
Intermezzo no.1 - Mamma mia
That's me - Dancing queen
Crazy world - Money, money, money
Happy Hawaii - Knowing me knowing you
I'm a marionette - Take a chance on me
Medley: Pick a bale of cotton / On top of old Smokey / Midnight special - Summer night city
Kisses of fire - Does your mother know
The king has lost his crown - Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie
Elaine - The winner takes it all
The piper - Super trouper
Our last summer - reissue of Thank you for the music
Andante, Andante - Happy new year
Should I laugh or cry - One of us
Soldiers - When all is said and done

5.0 out of 5 stars For ever good, for ever listenting, 30 July 2014
Even I had not listened to the album I would give it 5 stars. And that is the problem with reviewing Greatest Hits albums, they are generally the greatest hits of your favourite band. However the anniversary is a cut above that. I want to cut a star shape hole to give it a 6th star. Why? This is not just Abba Gold but Abba more Gold and Abba rare (well in most, if not all, b sides on disc 3). In general there are not weak songs on here, though I've never been a great fan of Voulez Vous the single, but listen the up and down rhythm of the day before you came (it rises at lunch and home time) an indication of the more serious aims to write songs with a stage musical bent, the slightly sinister The Piper (b side to Super Trouper and hidden classic, the strange lyrics of King Kong Song from what must have been an experimental time for the early group. This is a group that could make breaking up sound acceptable, having a crush on a teacher fun making love extraordinary (people talk about Summer Night City, but seriously, listen the Adante Adante, if that is not about sex what is ... take it easy with my please, and even better Kisses of Fire "touch my lips, close your eyes and see with your finger tips, things that you do and you know I'm crazy about you..." But above all, there is the Winner Takes It All. One of the all time greatest break up songs in my book. I could listen to it on a loop for hours, but there are 59 songs on this album (for less that 15 quid by the way) so don't linger but listen to the music and seriously... say thank you for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the pops!!!, 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: Abba Gold Anniversary Edition (Audio CD)
Disks 2 and 3 steal the show. The less standard tracks is like coming from a treasure chest. Summer night city is one of my overall favorite ABBA songs, I'm a marionette touches progressive rock, King Kong song rocks hard, Visitors is an epic adventure, Man in the Middle is laid back funk. This collection offers 5 songs from arrival, 6 songs from The album, 8 songs from Abba, 8 songs from Super Trooper, 7 songs from Voulez vous, 5 songs from the visitors, 4 songs from Waterloo, 3 songs from Ring Ring, 8 non album single tracks, 4 songs from greatest hits albums and 1 previously unreleased track. As you can see it is pretty complete. ABBA are easily the best pop band of all times and this box is like ... well ... top of the pops ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars why oh why!, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Abba Gold Anniversary Edition (Audio CD)
Why Universal are putting out an anniversary 'Gold' album is beyond me. It's the anniversary of 'Waterloo' not this album, and not even of the use of the name ABBA. They were known as ABBA from mid 1973! It's obviously a promotional gimmick again, trying to cash in on the success of ABBA and this album in it's original form. Someone is trying very hard to make this the Number 1 album in the UK!

The putting together of the 2 'Gold' albums has been done before, but why add a 3rd disc of just 'B' sides!, they're not even their strongest songs on the whole. And where is 'People need love' or 'He is your brother', in fact several singles were left off the 1st 2 albums. 'Happy new year' has now been a hit in several countries and 'Slipping through my fingers' is well known via 'Mamma Mia'.

Wouldn't it have been much better if 'Just like that', 'Just a notion' or another finished Abba song were included for the fans. After all Benny & Bjorn have broken their rules before with releasing 'Dream world' & 'Happy Hawaii'. Please give us something different and hopefully 'Live at Wembley' will be coming out later in the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN INTELLECTUAL BREAKDOWN, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Abba Gold Anniversary Edition (Audio CD)
I would suggest that people with musical tastes from heavy metal to Schoenberg can sing-along to Abba,
Mine range from The Doors and Sprigsteen through to Wagner and Bartok BUT I know the words to all these golden tracks and can sing with the best of them.
It is refreshing and fun and reminds one how badly the cast sing in Mama Mia although I sing along to that too as Abba songs and tunes are happily addictive!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABBA GOLDEN YEARS, 8 April 2014
Philip Johnson (Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abba Gold Anniversary Edition (Audio CD)
As a massive ABBA fan from the very beginning, I have collected every CD ever released, and although I have the previous issues of both ABBA GOLD & MORE GOLD, I just simply had to have this latest release to complete my collection, along with the deluxe edition of WATERLOO and the import from Japan ABBA 40/40. To those who may not be too familiar with some of tracks on CD 2 MORE GOLD, this collects together all the singles that did not appear on ABBA GOLD, along with superb album tracks such as 'Eagle', 'The Visitors' (one of Frida's standout tracks),' When I Kissed The Teacher' (could have been another hit single back in 1976) had it been released. Frida shines on 'When All Is Said & Done' & 'Cassandra'. The very last recording as a group 'The Day Before You Came' should have been a massive hit at the time, but interest in the group was beginning to fade. Onto CD 3 'B sides', I have to admit that one or two tracks should have been omitted and replaced with other gems, but just listen to Agnetha's vocals on 'I've Been Waiting For You' (one of her best performances on record). Other superb tracks in my opinion are 'The King Has Lost His Crown', Andante, Andante' 'Should I Laugh or Cry' which all feature lead vocals by Princess Frida & 'Kisses of Fire' & 'Soldiers' featuring Agnetha. One of their most unusual tracks is 'The Piper' which was featured on the album 'Super Trouper'. If you are a genuine fan, just buy it and celebrate with ABBA for 40 fantastic years of golden classic pop music. Congratulations to Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny & Annifrid & thank you all for your contribution to the world of pop music. I personally would love to see compilation double CD featuring Agnetha on one CD & Annifrid on the second CD. Suggested title 'As Good As New'. Sometimes I could listen to the golden tones of Agnetha & at time I love to hear Frida with her perfect vocals. Two of the best vocalist ever along with two of the best songwriters ever. Phil J ************

5.0 out of 5 stars So many great tracks, 29 Oct 2014
ABBA - what can I say? You either love them, or you don't! I love them and this album is great value as it contains so many tracks. There are quite a few tracks that I hadn't heard before and they may not be as 'top notch' as their hits, but they still make pleasant listening. There are many ABBA albums, but this one seems to contain almost everything they ever sang - well worth having.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 29 Oct 2014
The volume and quality of the music created and performed by this group is simply outstanding. The harmonies woven together by the two A's remain spellbinding. This collection provides both all the hits plus many less well known tracks, and is well worth the minor investment for a catalogue of what has to be the world's greatest pop band.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this double album as a pair of cassette ..., 20 Dec 2014
This review is from: Abba Gold Anniversary Edition (Audio CD)
I bought this double album as a pair of cassette tapes years ago but the quality is fading with time and use so this CD version was essential. The extra B-sides disc is an interesting addition offering some of the lesser known ABBA tracks. Fairly priced and promptly delivered, very pleasing all round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Great cd

Abba Gold Anniversary Edition
Abba Gold Anniversary Edition by ABBA (Audio CD - 2014)