Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 September 2015
Lacuna Coil are one of those bands I keep going back too.I lose street cred for liking them but they give something others don't.Sure I would prefer a less crunchy modern production,something a bit warmer sounding to suit Cristina's voice,in fine form as usual.The usual criticism of bands like this is they chase success,sell outs in other words,but LC haven't really changed much from their early days.Granted they have taken on that modern sound and have gone on the 'hottest chicks' tours (where else but the USA could come up with that) but if they want to make a living fair play to them.They get accused of being popular because they have a gorgeous singer,how is that worse than being liked because they have cool beards or the usual metal tough guy stuff..They still manage to tap a combination that's is it's own thing.They don't actually sound like Evanescence or Nightwish or Within Temptation etc and what other bands are trying to put a Goblin (Italian prog/horror film soundtrack band) influence in modern commercial metal/rock,none,ever! I read their new material has a more electronic edge which makes me imagine them going in a semi Depeche Mode direction which would be brilliant.
on 31 March 2014
How is this possible? Who do they think they are?

Lacuna Coil have for nearly ten years been my favourite band. Fair enough, a five-star review seems inevitable for such a long time "fanboy", but it is no lie to say that I have loved everything they have ever released. Still, with every new album announcement, I suspect I will be let down, just because it seems ridiculous to expect a winning effort every time.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that I really enjoyed the three previously released songs, Nothing Stands In Our Way, Die And Rise and I Forgive (But I Won't Forget Your Name), even if I did sense a bit of of a sonic carry over from Dark Adrenaline, released in 2012. To be honest, I did think there was a slight chance this could be a very standard LC release.

However, when I popped the album in my CD player, my jaw dropped through the floor. I will give you three reasons for why this happened:

1) Zombies: is that a hint of djent? It works!

2) Victims: Cristina Scabbia, you almost sound like Stevie Nicks! Hold on, are you now punkishly shouting at me? Scabbia once again ups her game. Bravo.

3) One Cold Day: hold on, are you telling me this IS NOT In A Reverie? This is a dream come true!

Broken Crown Halo is everything Lacuna Coil should and need to be in 2014, but truth be told, I thought there was little chance they could be this great 20 years into the game. To achieve what they have achieved with their seventh album is unprecedented. I loved Dark Adrenaline, but this is a step up from even that classy masterpiece!

The creativity on display is astonishing, there are moments of stunning invention never before heard by this band, and on Victims and In The End I Feel Alive, Lacuna experiment with complex arrangements in a way that recalls the wonderful Halflife EP from way back in 2000. Lacuna Coil promised anger, told us to believe in them, and rewarded us with an epic album.

Say goodbye to the blatant (though endearing) commerciality of Shallow Life and the superior Dark Adrenaline, and welcome back the metallic sheen of fan favourites Comalies and In A Reverie. One Cold Day and Hostage To The Light sound like vintage Lacuna Coil in the most forward thinking and masterful way imaginable, and the contrasting vocals of Cristina Scabbia and Andrea Ferro delight and empower the listener to joyous screamalongs on tracks such as Zombies (the heaviest LC song ever?) and the brilliantly anthemic I Burn In You. In terms of quality, this is a consistnetly enjoyable collection of eleven powerful rock songs, the bands strongest set since 2006's Karmacode.

I Forgive and Cybersleep are two of the finest Cristina focused songs in the bands history, whilst One Cold Day provides us finally with a slow ballad that matches up to the crystalline perfection of such classics like Falling, Cold Heritage and Entwined. Cristina Scabbia never fails to enchant. She continues to push the boundaries of her voice, and it is a wonder to behold! Andrea Ferro delivers his finest moments on Zombies, Victims, Infection and Nothing Stands In Our Way. Lacuna Coil have always needed him, and on this album he truly becomes Cristina's equal.

Unfortunately, guitarist Cristiano Migliore and drummer Cristiano Mozzati decided to amicably split from the band just weeks before the release of Broken Crown Halo. Long time fans of the band, such as myself, were devestated to see the break up of what may turn out to be Lacuna Coil's classic line up. But rest assured, they left on the highest note imaginable.

I have never been let down by Lacuna Coil, and possibly never will be. I have no idea where this band could go next, and if this really is the Italian stallions final album I will be sad to see them go, yet delighted to see them bow out on a career high.

5/5
on 12 July 2014
Top notch album from my favourite rockers. It stood out straight away as being a little different than their previous material. What can I say if you are a Lacuna Coil fan you will love it (so I guess I am a bit biased)
on 4 April 2015
This has got to be their finest album to date, so many tracks that i am pressing rewind on to listen to again, its hard to get through he whole album start to finish. Excellent vocals, brilliant music, simply the best so far.
on 17 October 2015
No problems with the delivery and service as despatched and received in quick time. Star rating is based on the album itself which is not their best although a bit of a grower with some of the songs. Could be something to do with the fact that one of the guitarists and the drummer (both original members) are leaving the band which may indicate that they are starting to run out of ideas. However, not planning on writing them off just yet, as new band members and absence of others might inspire them to take a new direction and once again kickstart their creativity.
on 4 April 2014
Overall, it's a great album. Very atmospheric with a big and often heavy sound. All the classic elements of LC's but as always with a new dimension. AS ever a key strength lies in the many wonderfully compelling and, at times quite intricate, melodies particularly from Cristina whose performance on this album is stunning. If you want to jump straight to an example try the track Cybersleep.

With this in mind, I am surprised by some of the negative reaction here, particularly the unfavourable comparisons to the previous album. So far I prefer it to Dark Adrenaline. Yes, it has a distinct sound but I find it a natural progression from DA and that it still sounds absolutely like LC. There is actually more depth here; maybe a lot more. Also, whilst I understand that some may not like the direction the band has taken I can't understand the criticism that they don't sound like they used to. Personally, I would would they make the music they want to at any given time and think it's dishonest to do otherwise.

However, in my opinion, the track order makes the album less seamless and accessible than previous releases and perhaps gives it a disjointed feel to begin with; but perhaps this is dues to that fact that I had already heard the 3 songs they had released to streaming which created flat patches in my first listen. I also think that the first two songs one after the other don't properly reflect the album in it's full diversity so this is why it will take longer than your first 8 minutes to come to full glory of what's on offer.
on 2 April 2014
I've been a fan of Lacuna Coil's for quite a few years now and it pains me to say this but I really don't get why this album has had such good reviews in magazines like Kerrang! and some websites. To me it feels like it's lacking something, a certain spark or passion. Now i'm all for trying new things especially in music but Broken Crown Halo seems a bit like "Songs that weren't good enough for Dark Adrenaline so we released them anyway!". I hope to god that I change my mind and love this album but it hasn't happened so far. As for Andrea's vocals (who i used to defend his vocals against people that were really against them) in this release I just cannot defend them - they are terrible!!

It's such a shame really because i feel that Dark Adrenaline was a huge step forward for them and this in comparison isn't just stepping back, it's moon walking off a cliff! But now it's released, if you're thinking of buying this definitely give it a listen before buying. As for me, I'll look forward to Epica's "The Quantum Enigma" and enjoy Lacuna Coil's past catalog of excellence.

Oh and If you do get the limited edition, there is light in the form of a DVD which is far better than the DVD that came with Dark Adrenaline as it's a behind the scenes type movie with interviews too. Because of this improved material and my love for the band i've given this release 2 stars and if one day i do fall for this release, i'll come back and update my review.
on 16 May 2014
Great album. I actually like all the songs which is rare for albums! Lacuna coil seem to be back on form after dark adrenaline (which I didn't like as much as karmacode and shallow life). Cannot stop listening to this right now!!!
on 12 July 2014
This is a great new album from Lacuna Coil so I thought I'd risk getting it on vinyl as well as CD. I'm happy to say that the 180 gram record is a very good quality pressing without any type of additional noise or clicks that some lower quality vinyl often has. Very good music from Lacuna, who are evolving nicely as a band. Cristina Scabbia's singing is marvellous, always gets better and I must say that I am really looking forward to listening to their next album! Highly recommended!
on 7 June 2014
Lacuna Coil have outdone themselves fabulously, can't stop listening to this album!

Only downside was the sticker which ripped the cover when trying to remove it >:-(