5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Stands In Lacuna Coil's Way!
How is this possible? Who do they think they are?

Published 3 months ago by Michael Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing release
I've been a fan of Lacuna Coil's for quite a few years now and it pains me to say this but I really don't get why this album has had such good reviews in magazines like Kerrang! and some websites. To me it feels like it's lacking something, a certain spark or passion. Now i'm all for trying new things especially in music but Broken Crown Halo seems a bit like "Songs...
Published 3 months ago by Orchid_Rose89

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Stands In Lacuna Coil's Way!, 31 Mar 2014
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Crown Halo (Audio CD)
How is this possible? Who do they think they are?

Lacuna Coil have for nearly ten years been my favourite band. Fair enough, a five-star review seems inevitable for such a long time "fanboy", but it is no lie to say that I have loved everything they have ever released. Still, with every new album announcement, I suspect I will be let down, just because it seems ridiculous to expect a winning effort every time.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that I really enjoyed the three previously released songs, Nothing Stands In Our Way, Die And Rise and I Forgive (But I Won't Forget Your Name), even if I did sense a bit of of a sonic carry over from Dark Adrenaline, released in 2012. To be honest, I did think there was a slight chance this could be a very standard LC release.

However, when I popped the album in my CD player, my jaw dropped through the floor. I will give you three reasons for why this happened:

1) Zombies: is that a hint of djent? It works!

2) Victims: Cristina Scabbia, you almost sound like Stevie Nicks! Hold on, are you now punkishly shouting at me? Scabbia once again ups her game. Bravo.

3) One Cold Day: hold on, are you telling me this IS NOT In A Reverie? This is a dream come true!

Broken Crown Halo is everything Lacuna Coil should and need to be in 2014, but truth be told, I thought there was little chance they could be this great 20 years into the game. To achieve what they have achieved with their seventh album is unprecedented. I loved Dark Adrenaline, but this is a step up from even that classy masterpiece!

The creativity on display is astonishing, there are moments of stunning invention never before heard by this band, and on Victims and In The End I Feel Alive, Lacuna experiment with complex arrangements in a way that recalls the wonderful Halflife EP from way back in 2000. Lacuna Coil promised anger, told us to believe in them, and rewarded us with an epic album.

Say goodbye to the blatant (though endearing) commerciality of Shallow Life and the superior Dark Adrenaline, and welcome back the metallic sheen of fan favourites Comalies and In A Reverie. One Cold Day and Hostage To The Light sound like vintage Lacuna Coil in the most forward thinking and masterful way imaginable, and the contrasting vocals of Cristina Scabbia and Andrea Ferro delight and empower the listener to joyous screamalongs on tracks such as Zombies (the heaviest LC song ever?) and the brilliantly anthemic I Burn In You. In terms of quality, this is a consistnetly enjoyable collection of eleven powerful rock songs, the bands strongest set since 2006's Karmacode.

I Forgive and Cybersleep are two of the finest Cristina focused songs in the bands history, whilst One Cold Day provides us finally with a slow ballad that matches up to the crystalline perfection of such classics like Falling, Cold Heritage and Entwined. Cristina Scabbia never fails to enchant. She continues to push the boundaries of her voice, and it is a wonder to behold! Andrea Ferro delivers his finest moments on Zombies, Victims, Infection and Nothing Stands In Our Way. Lacuna Coil have always needed him, and on this album he truly becomes Cristina's equal.

Unfortunately, guitarist Cristiano Migliore and drummer Cristiano Mozzati decided to amicably split from the band just weeks before the release of Broken Crown Halo. Long time fans of the band, such as myself, were devestated to see the break up of what may turn out to be Lacuna Coil's classic line up. But rest assured, they left on the highest note imaginable.

I have never been let down by Lacuna Coil, and possibly never will be. I have no idea where this band could go next, and if this really is the Italian stallions final album I will be sad to see them go, yet delighted to see them bow out on a career high.

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
Superb album. A must but for the Coilers

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 12 July 2014
K. Hitchen "kurtph" (BLACKPOOL, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Crown Halo (Audio CD)
Top notch album from my favourite rockers. It stood out straight away as being a little different than their previous material. What can I say if you are a Lacuna Coil fan you will love it (so I guess I am a bit biased)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great new album from Lacuna Coil so I thought I'd ..., 12 July 2014
The Cleaner (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Crown Halo [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a great new album from Lacuna Coil so I thought I'd risk getting it on vinyl as well as CD. I'm happy to say that the 180 gram record is a very good quality pressing without any type of additional noise or clicks that some lower quality vinyl often has. Very good music from Lacuna, who are evolving nicely as a band. Cristina Scabbia's singing is marvellous, always gets better and I must say that I am really looking forward to listening to their next album! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... promptly and the person it was for was very happy with it, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Broken Crown Halo (Audio CD)
This was a gift and it arrived promptly and the person it was for was very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
PERFECT !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good one, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Broken Crown Halo (Audio CD)
They never seem to get it wrong, if you like their sound and energy then here is another good one.

4.0 out of 5 stars i like it, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Broken Crown Halo (Audio CD)
another solid album from the italian group good songs from first to last well worth the purchase price a must

5.0 out of 5 stars As allways, you cannot go wrong with Lacuna Coil., 19 May 2014
This review is from: Broken Crown Halo (Audio CD)
Excluding their DVD, this is my 8th cd/album in total that I have of this awsome band. I didn't really expect much since there was only about 4 songs on the last album that stood out for me. After I listened to Broken Crown Halo twice, I was very impressed. You can definetely hear a change in their music, like they were experimenting with new sounds (voices and instruments), and it paid of. Awesome cd, going to listen to it a few more times before putting it into my playlists

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album yet?, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Broken Crown Halo (MP3 Download)
Great album. I actually like all the songs which is rare for albums! Lacuna coil seem to be back on form after dark adrenaline (which I didn't like as much as karmacode and shallow life). Cannot stop listening to this right now!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Broken Crown Halo
Broken Crown Halo by Lacuna Coil (Audio CD - 2014)