5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the St. Mary's chronicles to a new level
This is the best one yet. All the humour, tragedy, and roller coaster of a storyline that the first two books were bursting with, but with a depth of characterisation and sophistication of plot and subplots which mark the authors increasing confidence in her own abilities. Finished in less than a day, head spinning with how the story continued. Simply excellent.
Published 10 months ago by Derek England

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is she going with this?
A confusing and not very convincing departure from the theme established in the previous books.
Published 18 days ago by J I Houston

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the St. Mary's chronicles to a new level, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St Mary Book 3) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!, 14 Feb 2014
Bought downloaded and read all in a day... I laughed and cried and as usual marvelled at the story that keeps you hooked. This chronicle for me was more dark than it's predecessors but not the worse for it... I had a sinking feeling that this was the end of the road for Max's story and even with it's twists and turns felt it had reached a gentle though deserved conclusion...and then we're off again!! Waiting impatiently for the next instalment. Another job well done!!

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could experience history in a contemporary setting, I'd go forward to get my hands on book No 4!, 14 Mar 2014
I downloaded the first one for free. After all, how wrong can you go with a title like 'One damn thing after another?' and was hooked straight away. This is the rare thing: a series that doesn't loose pace and appeal, but gets stronger and its characters more compelling along the way. Simply love the bit about Troy and the infamous 'horse'. More please.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous Book, 9 May 2014
This, and the 2 1/2 books before, are filed in my Kindle under "Little Gems". I first discovered them last year and absolutely adored them.
You need to read "Just one damned thing after another" first, and they need to be read in order.
This is the 3rd Novel in the Chronicles of St Mary's series (there is also a novella that I haven't included). These books details the adventures and misadventures of the team at St Mary's, a fringe organisation of academic and technicians who document history in real time (they travel in time to witness history first hand!).
This book is in the same vein as all the others, historical research, cock-ups, catastrophes and lots of cups of tea!
The tone of this book is darker than the previous two, it isn't as heavily plotted as book two, the themes are not as lighthearted as book one but that's not to say it doesn't have it's comic moments. Blue body paint anyone?
The attention to historical detail in all of these books is brilliant and gives you a sense of being witness as well as our motley crew. Jodi Taylor is a brilliant writer who gives you enough historical information without the book becoming a text book. All the characters are fantastic, they are all brilliant and yet ultimately flawed. I spent a large part of this book despairing at the direction some of the relationships took.
As an avid reader, not a lot shocks me. This book left me speechless. It is the sign of a excellent writer to take the character in directions we didn't expect. I laughed, I cried and I was left with the need to read the next installment. Jodi Taylor, i salute you as a true hidden gem, I hope you get the recognition you deserve. Thank you for writing strong female characters, male characters that are not just comedic foils and thank you for "chief" who I have a little crush on!
Curl up, read and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super addictive series, 7 Aug 2014
Jakeisthecoolest "Jake" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Like the previous books this third instalment still has issues with structure and pacing and feels like two or three books squished together. That said, I do feel the the writing has improved a great deal and Taylor seems to have found her voice finally. As well as being an engaging work of fiction, there is clearly a great deal of exceptional historical research taken place and her attention to detail is excellent.
This instalment sees us follow Max and her team to the city of Troy and engage in an exciting mission to separate the truth from the myths. As always she is confronted with tough decisions and heart-ache as she crashes through the centuries.
There are still odd times that some of the events feel forced and perhaps clumsy.
Overall, a great read that is difficult to put down despite some slight annoyances.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet., 27 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this installment of St Mary's. It is my favourite of the St Mary's chronicles so far and strikes just the right balance between plot, romance and historical detail. This time round the on-off romance between Max and Leon was believable, there were enough twists in the plot to keep me in suspense without being overly complicated and the description of Troy, especially the details about the horse, were very clever and have re-awakened my interest in history. Looking forward to another installment in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have a Second Chance, 12 Aug 2014
Mrs. Penelope J. Jaquet (Cheltenham UK) - See all my reviews
Max is distraught. Time has dealt her another rough hand. St Mary's is trying to carry on as normal. Welcome back to another tale of the Time Team of St Mary's, although things are a lot darker than before. Just as I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms that re-reading of the Chronicles could not cure, along comes another one! I anticipate these stories with an intensity only a true fan knows. Well written, easy to read and a great slant on time travel, now with added extras. Thank you Ms Taylor, my life can continue!

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband is glad I've finished..., 29 April 2014
Amazon Customer (SAINT LOUIS, MISSOURI, United States) - See all my reviews
I found Jodi Taylor through Audible. I usually listen to my audio books only during my commute, but I broke my own rule for this series. I loved it! 5 wonderfully earned stars!

The plotting is gorgeously circuitous, the characters are people you'd want to be friends with, the history is plausible, and the action never stops. I laughed out loud, I cried, I hoped, I feared.

Thank you Jodi Taylor, I cannot wait for the next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 Dec 2014
This book is the third in the series and you really need to read them in order. That said, they are all stand alone stories but in sequence they clearly make much more sense. I was hooked by the first book. This is intelligent time travel packed with historically accurate, as far as I can tell, detail, evoked brilliantly. I have read a historical account of the battle of Agincourt. I've seen Henry The Fifth. I knew the lie of the land and what happened but the way it is written here, puts you there. You smell, feel, hear, as well as see the events unfold, and on a personal level, somehow knowing the outcome makes it all the more exciting as you hurtle headlong through the battle.

This is just a small part of the story. We also have Troy, a villain who refuses to die, well, even when you know he's dead, he can still turn up in another time, from an earlier time. And a brilliant love story. It's all evoked with such clarity, you can't put it down. On now to book four!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, that was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster!, 1 Jun 2014
If you have read the previous St Mary's books, which you really should have done, then this book will keep you guessing where it's going to go next at every turn. The characters are really developed and emotional bonds fully formed, so when someone dies (I won't say who), it hits you just as much as it does their friends. As per usual for St Mary's they drink lots of tea and jump all over time mucking things up or putting it right, then at the end they......... Well you better read it and find out!