I believe that Amazon reviews are usually the most helpful and dependable, so when people choose to rate an outstanding product as '1 star' because they lost the eyepiece, it's being very unfair to the manufacturer - you the lost he eye piece not Sony!

Published 8 months ago by Dave Ashman

2.0 out of 5 stars Get a Sony RX10 instead
I must fly in the face of most reviews as my honest appraisal of this camera is not a good one.

My main dislikes were four:
- The supplied "kit" lens is pants. While kit lenses in general don't get much favour this one is no exception. There are no focal length settings on it, and the adjustment ring is very hit and miss, so you end up sort of...
Published 1 month ago by Michael J. Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the Sony Nex6 - another masterpiece from the Sony photographic team, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Sony A6000 Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with SELP1650 Lens Kit - Black (24.3MP) (Electronics)

Also, I think it's helpful to have some context - especially with cameras. In my case, I like to shoot casually; friends and family (kids), with some sports, holidays and cars. I have recently owned: A Sony Rx100 (simply outstanding), Fujifilm X-M1, Sony NEX6, Panasonic GM1 (crazy small and cute but terrible image noise), Canon S120 and Canon EOS40D.

What's so great about the A6000?

1) It's simply the most ergonomic of all the small APSC cameras anywhere near this price point. Only the Fujifilm X-T1 is better and that's twice the price! It is very compact but also feels very sturdy and comfortable grip for prolonged use. It feels like a real camera.

2) The photo quality is far superior to my RX100 or Fujifilm X-M1 in terms of sharpness and more natural looking skin tones - especially compared to the Fuji, which tends to make faces look a bit wax-like.

3) For kids, animals and sports it's simply unbeatable unless you pay more than twice the price. It is amazing at tracking fast moving objects from any angle or speed. It means that the photos have lovely depth of field - isolation of the main subject from the background - which is nicely blurred. The continuous shooting is approx. twice as fast as my previous digital SLR - again, amazing, I don't know how Sony have done but it works great.

4) Video is crisp, creamy-smooth panning, and the tracking focus helps the main objects really stand out - which smaller cameras simply cannot achieve. It looks stunning on a full-HD screen.

Negatives?
The lens selection is very poor compared to Fuji who make lovely lenses for the X series range, Canon or the 3/4 range. However, they do have some pretty good lenses which tend to be very good value for money. However, I have not tested the new SELP18-105Z which is supposed to be an excellent all-round lens.

In summary, it's simply the best all-round camera at this price point, with photo quality to match many full-frame digital SLRs and can beat many of them when it comes to shooting kids, animals or sports. The only downside is the lens selection - until I test the SELP18-105G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera!, 9 April 2014
Paul W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've had the camera over a week now and has some opportunity to test it and also use it for genuine photos rather than just test shots.

I've got a Sony NEX 5N and last year bought a Sony RX100 - mostly for its small size.

Although I have other cameras those are my main comparison cameras.

My main reason for buying the Sony a6000 was the Sony marketing of supposedly amazing auto-focus capabilities and also for the electronic view finder - which neither the NEX 5N nor RX100 have.

As well as landscapes I do also like to take occasional action shots of my dog and also wild life - a couple of years ago I went on a sea safari and got some excellent shots of dolphins and seals with my Nikon D700.

*** Auto Focus ***

The Sony a6000 has 179 AF points which the Sony marketing implies can quickly track any moving object in the frame and get perfect focus every time.

My young Labrador never stays in one place long enough and its a challenge getting action shots of her - hence my excitement when I saw the Sony marketing of the super fast autofocus system of the a6000 and the videos I saw on the Internet of the a6000 easily tracking fast moving subjects and every shot being in focus!

It looked like all I need do was whip out the camera, switch it on and it'd be able to automatically shot rapid action shots of my fast moving dog.

If only my experience matched the marketing. Instead the Sony struggled to even spot my small brown Labrador in outside locations ( fields, muddy paths etc ). Leaving it up to the Sony camera I was lucky to get any shots in focus!

Its very good at rapidly shooting 20 or 30 shots - all out of focus as far as my dog was concerned - though the grass and path behind were nicely focused!

This certainly didn't match the marketing and I was very disappointed and almost ready to give up on the camera.

I think the issue is my dog is too low contrast and not big enough to get the Sony's attention - put her in a high visibility jacket or get a large white dog and I suspect it would work much better.

To be fair to the camera I've only tested with my dog so far and it may well work very well with more high contrast subjects.

After lots of attempts and playing with the settings I abandoned letting the camera make decisions and used central focus AF - as long as I kept her inside the spot when she was running towards me then I'd say more than 60% of the shots were in focus. Which given how fast she runs this is not too bad at all. Also a reasonable amount of depth of field helps!

I did try the tracking facility and that did notice my dog and track her but the hit rate was no better - probably worse - than me manually tracking her.

With that disappointment out the way I realised the AF system was not going to perform the miracles shown in online marketing videos.

On the plus side the AF is very fast and generally fairly accurate as long as its focused on the right thing.

The AF also appears to be able to operate in slightly lower light than the AF of the NEX 5N.

The AF is certainly a step up from the NEX 5N and RX100 in terms of focusing speed and number of frames per second.

*** Electronic View Finder ***

My other reason for the a6000 was the electronic view finder - and I have to say the a6000 EVF is excellent - bright and clear and copes well in low light.

Having said that I don't have much experience of other EVFs but I was very happy with the Sony a6000 EVF.

*** Image Quality ***

The next question I had was image quality of a6000 vs NEX 5N vs RX100.
At the lower end of the ISO scale - 800 and less - they were all pretty much the same. Very careful pixel peeping sees the a6000 and 5N being very, very slightly better than the RX100 but in reality you'd never notice the difference.
But the advantage the a6000 has is 24 mega pixels vs 20 of the RX100 and 16 of the NEX 5N.
So the a6000 wins in the sense you get bigger images ( and prints ) but with no significant loss of image quality in terms of low ISO noise. Of course 99% of the time you won't notice - you need to be creating 4 foot by 5 foot posters to start to notice!

At the high ISO end of things the RX100 - while providing excellent images at ISO 1600 - 6400 - is still a bit grainier than the other cameras. Not so bad as to be an issue though - you really have to look hard at 100% image size. But there's no doubt the NEX 5N and a6000 produce less noisy high ISO images.

On the other hand the difference between the a6000 and NEX 5N is much, much smaller. You REALLY have to look hard to notice any difference.

The in camera high ISO JPGs are slightly better on the NEX 5N. Re-sizing the a6000 images to 5N sizes improves them but I still feel the 5N has the advantage. The a6000 JPG noise reduction has a habit of making images a bit too smooth and smeary with a loss of detail.

But RAW images are slightly better from the a6000 than the 5N. I used the lastest version of the Sony Image Data Converter software to process the RAW images as well as Lightroom 5.4

I tested with some ISO 3200 images and without noise reduction applied they look pretty bad! But the a6000 marginally less bad.

Applying noise reduction with the Sony Image Data Converter software set to Auto noise reduction improves things massively but the a6000 images come out looking better when viewed at 100% on screen. Slightly less smeary and more pleasing looking noise on the a6000 vs the 5N. Again at normal size prints you won't notice the difference - its only pixel peeping you notice these things.

So in terms of image quality the a6000 is very similar to the other cameras but wins because its 24 mega pixels allowing for larger prints.

One thing I did notice was the a6000 image was slightly brighter than the NEX 5N image. Even though I shot the same thing at the same time in the same light with the same lens, shutter, ISO and apatures. Maybe its a fluke but perhaps the Sony sensor is slightly more light sensitive at the same ISO. It'll be interesting to see expert reviews with proper tests.

*** Ease Of Use ***

Where the a6000 definitely wins over the NEX 5N is its ease of use. The menu structure and navigation is so much easier on the RX100 and a6000 which share similar menus structure. I personally found the NEX 5N's interface a nightmare to use and never really liked it.

The a6000 is also much more customisable than the NEX 5n. It has 3 buttons you can assign to your own commands as well as being able to customise things like the wheels, dials and some of the menus.

I've not used the 5N in a while and was swearing a bit trying to navigate its menus ready to set it up for testing!

Sometimes its silly little things that help. For example if you go in to image playback on the NEX 5N and then press the menu button it'll go back to the last menu used. Do the same thing on the a6000 and it goes automatically to the playback menu with the delete menu highlighted - so you then just select the delete menu and then choose what to delete. On the NEX 5N you go back to the previous used menu and then have to navigate to the delete multiple images menu - all of which takes time. Sounds silly but just makes the camera easier to use - and there are lots of little improvements like this that make the a6000 an easier to use camera.

*** Battery Life ***

Battery life on default settings seems quite poor - certainly compared to my Sony RX100 which just keeps on going! I can go on a week's holiday with the RX100 and take a few hundred shots and still have 50% power left.

The a6000 seems to be down to 40% power after 1 day and 100 shots.

However I switched off the Pre-AF feature to save power and this has definitely helped reduce battery consumption. Pre-AF continuously focuses at whatever the camera is pointing at when on. When off the camera only focuses when you half press the shutter button.

For most things leaving it off is fine and saves power. Only if you are trying to shoot fast moving/changing things like children and dogs would it be a good idea to keep the Pre-AF switched on.

However I'd still strongly recommend getting a spare battery.

*** Movies ***

Movies. Until now I've always preferred a dedicated camcorder to using a camera for video. But I've done a few test videos with the a6000 and one word - WOW! Video quality is surprisingly good - even under low lighting. I'm really impressed.

*** Summary ***

To sum up this rambling review.....

If you own a Sony NEX 5N then the main reasons to upgrade to the a6000 are:

* The excellent electronic viewfinder
* Faster frames per second and slightly faster AF
* Higher mega pixel sensor
* Better menu structure
* Easier to use with customisable buttons
* Marginally better high ISO RAW images but high ISO in camera JPGs not quite as good. Maybe Sony will improve this in a later firmware update.
* Wifi - I've used the Sony remote control app on my Android phone and it works quite well.

I wouldn't say image quality is a reason to upgrade unless you really need a 24 megapixel sensor and its not that necessary except for very large prints. The easier interface, AF speed and EVF would be the main reasons to update.

If you own an RX100 than the advantages of an a6000 are similar - except the menus which are common to both cameras. But you lose the amazing battery life of the RX100.

Downside is the a6000 while not a big camera is much bigger and heavier than the compact Sony RX100. Still way lighter than my Nikon D800 though!

After using the Sony a6000 for around 10 days I'm really pleased with it. There's a lot to learn but its generally easy to use and gives you a lot of creative options. I'm still learning many of them!

**** Update ****

Having spent the weekend away in Bath taking lots of photos I wanted to give an update.

Image quality is great - though I sense 24mp is the maximum for that sensor - sometimes some slight noise can be seen at low ISOs where there are shadows in the photo as well as bright areas.
No big deal and only visible with careful pixel peeping. I suspect the sensor is better than the sensor on the NEX 5N but not a massive leap better - Sony taking it to 24 mega pixels vs the NEX 5N 16 mega pixels is pushing the boundries.

But over all this camera does take great photos. Exposure is generally spot on as is auto focus. Auto focus does a good job in low light - it gets quite dark inside some parts of the Roman baths but the AF never faltered at any point.

I was also impressed how far JPGs could be processed in Adobe Lightroom and still look good. A tourist had taken a shot of me and my partner - and unfortunately we didn't spot till later it was way over exposed. I assumed it was for the recycle bin but I had a quick play in Lightroom when I got home and mostly using just auto settings was able save the shot and it looked both natural and correctly exposed.

The ISO Auto multi image noise reduction does a good job of minimising noise at high ISOs while retaining detail. This feature is absent on the NEX 5N though it does have other multi image noise reduction options but I they don't seem to work quite as well as the a6000s.

The viewfinder is a real bonus over the NEX 5N's lack of view finder. I'm finding I'm using it a lot - especially on bright sunny days. The NEX 5N screen becomes very hard to see when its really sunny.

The movies I filmed with the a6000 have really impressed me. I recorded a short clip of some practice singing in Wells cathedral and despite it being very dark the image has come out really, really well!
And to my surprise the sound quality from the in-built mic is also really good.

I also tried again one morning in some fields to shoot my dog running using the multi-point AF detection facility. Not sure what name Sony give it but the idea is the camera spots what you are trying to photograph and automatically tracks it as it moves - making it easy for you to take a rapid succession of perfectly focused shots of moving objects.

Despite it being a really bright day and me using f8 at 1/500 of a second at 70mm I am still not having much luck photographing my dog with the automatic facilities.

After a lot of experimenting I think the problem is the camera is not looking for a moving object - which is what I assumed it was doing. Instead its hunting the image for the main subject. It defines main subject as the closest high contrast thing in the image - regardless of whether its moving or not. I suspect its also using face detection and would prioritize a human being in the image. Which is why people taking photos of other people are having much more success than me trying to photo a dog.

In my first attempt I was kneeling down with the sun was behind me and the dog running towards me. On viewing the shots taken I realised it'd taken 10 perfectly focused shots of my shadow in front of me! Obviously this was much higher contrast than my brown down on green grass.

I tried again in a different location and this time it focused perfectly on the patch of lighter green grass my dog ran past!

The solution is obvious - I need a higher contrast dog! She's a medium brown small Labrador - the Sony can't cope with that unless I'm zoomed in enough for her to be the only thing in the frame. My Sony 16-70mm doesn't allow for that - I need something with more reach that allows me to stand some distance away but still have her zoomed right in.

The other option is to use the tracking facility - which can be challenging as the dog runs at high speed towards you. I found using centre focus spot and tracking manually is actually easier.

I do have a 2 year old Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 which I will update with v2 firmware and report back when I've done some more tests.

5.0 out of 5 stars but from my first impressions it's a lovely camera that takes great pictures even in the automatic modes, 16 Aug. 2014
Only had this for a week so I'm still getting used to it, but from my first impressions it's a lovely camera that takes great pictures even in the automatic modes. It handles well even with the larger zoom lens (50-210 mm). We also looked at the A5000 for its compact size but preferred the handling of this one. Plus we wanted the mode selection dial rather than accessing those via the screen. The digital view finder is very handy too when shooting in bright outside conditions. Wi-Fi connectivity are handy and we love the near-field-communication; however this drains the battery, so we have disabled it and only turn it on when needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most complete consumer camera ever made!, 20 Dec. 2014
R. McCarthy (London) - See all my reviews
If you can afford it, buy it.

This is an exceptional camera and you have to work hard to mess up a shot. The results you get are as close to "professional" quality as you can get this side of £3000. That is actually an understatement because unlike full frame DSLR's , you do not need to know anything about photography to take the perfect picture.

The body is much smaller and lighter than a DSLR. It won't quite fit in your pocket with the standard lens but it's easy to carry around all day in a small case. It is a quality piece of equipment and feels comfortable in the hand. I bought the silver version which has a nice retro look and reminds me of the Leica of the 60s.

It works in both j peg and raw modes so if you are into post production photoshoping that is a plus. The camera has 2 auto modes, and all the usual manual settings too. The auto focus is amazingly fast and because of its light weight, it makes it ideal for action photography or taking pics of the kids running about.

The lenses are interchangeable and you can mount full frame lenses with an additional adapter as well as the Sony e mount ones .The stock lens is superb and the zoom function is very smooth and perfect for framing shots.

Other noteworthy points are it has a hot shoe, an electronic viewfinder ( which has transformed my results) , an excellent flash which can be pointed at the ceiling and a tilting lcd screen.

It can shoot at an astonishing 11 frames a second in burst mode. You can happily shoot at 6400 iso without the standard size images getting grainy and in low light conditions it will take 3 exposures and merge them to give a far better result.

The menu options are enormous and everything you can think of is adjustable and you can custom program the buttons in a way which suits you best. It also has WIFI and NFC which will allow you to both control basic camera functions, have live view using your smartphone and upload as you go. There are also a few decent apps to download from the Sony Playmemories site. The A6000 has a mini HDMI port along side the usual micro USB which is the same size as on most smartphones, saving the need for extra cables.

OK, no camera is perfect so I will mention what I don't like. The main thing to mention is that it isn't designed for video. It does take amazing quality video but the on / off button is a nightmare to find and use. It's as if they designed it that way on purpose ( it's a tiny button on the right upper corner of the camera). Also the sound quality is very average particularly in windy conditions and it doesn't have a mic jack for external input.

With all those clever electronics the battery life is just about ok but a backup is a good idea. My final criticism is the LCD screen doesn't articulate as much as other cameras. The other point to note is that because of the sheer number of menu options (almost 150 menus) it does take time to get used to. I have had the camera two months and I am just beginning to get used to it.

But these are relatively minor niggles if you are primarily interested in stills. It will consistently offer up the best quality pictures for any given lighting condition whether it's shooting into the sun or a window, indoors under domestic lighting or at night, you can't go wrong.

Even though I am a big Amazon fan, I bought my camera locally because I wanted expert advice so paid a bit more. While you might think the A6000 is expensive, it's not when you consider all you get.

If you are thinking about hiring a professional photographer for any reason well think about buying the A6000 instead. I promise you, you will not see the difference and if I am wrong, well this is Amazon ;-)

I hope this helps with your buying decision and happy snapping!

UPDATE: I have now had the camera 3 months and if anything, I am even happier with it. The form factor makes such a difference to both the number of times I take it with me and the ease of use compared to a DSLR. After a while you almost forget it isnt a compact camera. Also the quality of the images are really hard to beat. I watched a few reviews by professional photographers on YouTube who claim it is as good in most situations as their professional £6,000+ cameras. Definitely worth watching if you are thinking of buying.

I have been using the camera a lot for video too. The image quality is great and I got around the sound issue by buying a RODE smartphone mic ( also great ) and recording off camera. But the on / off button is still a nightmare to find which is remains my biggest and possibly only complaint. The camera battery just about lasts for a single outing but I do carry a spare.

Anyone considering buying a DSLR should seriously look at this mirror-less option instead.

Update:

After nearly 6 months I'm still getting a lot of use from this camera. It's size and ease of use means I can take it along to social functions without looking a bit obvious which I think you tend to do with a DSLR. I've purchased a cheap lens converter so I'm able to use my old canon effective lenses. Results are a bit mixed. It slows the auto focus down quote a bit particularly with my 200 mm zoom but still useful.

I also got a free time lapse app in the Google app store and have been taking some fabulous night sky images.

So overall I am still delighted with the camera. Seems to me mirrorless cameras certainly look set to replace low and medium end DSLR s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beating the full size DLSR's at their own game., 1 July 2014
Clashcity Rocker "Clashcity Rocker" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Sony have pulled some serious masterstoke on this. Not content with selling Nikon, Canon and Olympus their sensors for their own cameras, they have made their own camera that beats them all.

The auto-focus is really quick, they have clearly nailed phase detection focusing on mirrorless cameras, something that's always been a challenge previously. Sony claim the quickest on the market for any APS-C camera, including traditional mirrored DSLR model, and from what I have seen so far, it's hard to argue their claims, focusing is REALLY good, and lightening quick, and this alone makes it a worthwhile upgrade from previous-gen NEX cameras.

If you go for the kit with the the bundled 16-50 PowerZoom lens, then you should be pleasantly suprised, kit lenses are usually a mediocre affair, however the bundled lens here is pretty decent if you are starting out on the E-mount format, I got some nice shots right out the box, and it's compact size makes it a good walk-about lens. It also has in-lens stabilization.

The viewfinder is exceptional, whilst on paper it seems slightly lower resolution than the one in the NEX6, don't that put you off, this one performs better, less is sometimes more. Whilst there are many DSLR snobs that will scoff at electronic viewfinders, there are several key advantages, namely you can overlay onto the picture, for example, the REALLY helpful "Focus Peaking", which will show the areas that are in focus, great if you want to use a old lens and focus manually. EVF are also beneficial in low light shooting, and they are also useful as they show what your resulting picture will look like. EVF's have really come along in the last couple of years and are now a real competitor to the optical viewfinders, offering some real tangible benefits, with little in the way of downsides.

Onto the camera onboard software. Sony have thankfully taken the camera menu system from their well respected A7 full-frame range, so it's really quick and easy to find the setting you are after, and a big improvement on the previous generation NEX cameras.

There are ample customisations, and several dedicated function buttons you can assign your own functions to, making the camera work the way you want to work, not the other way around.

Build quality is exceptionally good, it feels like a very solid camera, without feeling too heavy, it also balances very well, The body grip has a nice feel, and seems a bit larger than previous NEX camera, so it suits bigger hands better.

As with most EVF cameras, there is a sensor to switch between LCD and EVF when you put the camera to your eye, it's a little bit sensitive, but it does work, and definately saves battery life.

I'm a big fan of the NFC functionality, all devices should have it! Tap your phone on it when in camera mode, and it opens up Smart Remote app on your phone and connects. You can record pictures and movies remotely (within Wifi range). Tap your phone on it when viewing pictures and the currently displayed picture transfers to your phone. All very intuitive and fuss-free. Obviously your phone needs NFC (alot of Android phones have it).

PlayMemories app is now pretty good (tested the Android version), very stable, and opens up lots of sharing possibilities. In particular the Auto-Transfer app, which when you switch the camera off, all the pictures are automatically send to your device. This works very well for my workflow.

So far, it's very hard to criticize anything with this camera, is been great at everything I have put it up against. If I had to find some minor quibbles, they would be:

Battery life isn't that great. (I found that turning off pre-focus improved battery life quite considerably and put it back to acceptable levels)

NFC tag positioning isn't that good, the strap fixing gets in the way when tapping to transfer.

There is no manual and the online version is dreadful. With a camera that does this much, a decent manual is needed, Sony NEED to sort this out.

They removed the digital level sensor that the NEX5R and NEX6 had. (why???)

Bizarrely it doesn't ship with a hot-shoe cover. Seriously Sony, that costs what 0.25p to the price. I had to buy one from ebay for a quid.

If you are looking for something that's better performing than a mid-range DSLR, cheaper than a mid-range DSLR, smaller and more portable than any DSLR, this really needs to be top of your shopping list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, light, quick, 30 July 2014
A. M. Vaughan "almiva" (barnet, uk) - See all my reviews
Sharp images, quick accurate focus, lightweight.
I bought this to replace a Nikon D90 DSLR and I am very pleased with it. I think the autofocus is more reliable and it is so much more practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best purchases I've ever made., 14 Oct. 2014
I purchased the SELP1650 & SEL55210 Lens Kit, via a reseller (expedite electronics) as a replacement for my Bridge camera. I did a lot of research into this, and my price range was a maximum of 800 GBP. I got the body and dual lens kit for 700GBP, and I am happy I went for this option.

LOOK AND FEEL – Sony rarely disappoint with any products when it comes to sex appeal, and this baby is no different. It looks stunning, compact and more important, it feels sturdy and has the right amount of weight, not too light that you wonder what you paid for (like some new smart phones these days), and not too heavy that it becomes an issue to carry around. It’s the perfect weight and I never had a problem wearing it around my neck from 7am until 4pm. The lenses supplied with the camera are equally impressive, sturdy, metal parts, the auto zoom on the 1650 lens works seamlessly, the manual zoom on the bigger 55210 has just enough resistance, all in all, they are both a joy to use.

SOUND – CLICK CLICK CLICK. Any Duran Duran fans who know the song Girls on Film (most men will due to nature of the video ) will remember the start of the song with the camera clicks. Well, that’s just the sound you get when you take pictures. You can probably turn this off, but why would you want to? It makes you feel like a pro even if you’re not. If you throw in a few crouched positions and a cheap lanyard, you could probably pass yourself off as a professional.

PRICE - Are there better camera’s in this price range, MAYBE, but from what I read most reviews (which camera/stuff/T3 etc) gave this camera 5* for the <1000GBP choice.

FEATURES AND PICTURE QUALITY - It’s packed full of features and is crammed with a whopping 24.3MP. There’s far too much for me to review at this early stage, and it’s a steep learning curve for a novice (like me) who’s never had anything other than point and shoot, but it’s very rewarding. I got this camera for a trip to Brazil next year as I wanted to take excellent pictures for this holiday with the view that it’s not somewhere we’ll go many times in our lifetime (unless we win the lottery).
My first field test was on a London bus tour I took my in-laws on. For this trip I only used the Auto modes as I know nothing about other modes (yet). My only regret is I only took the 1650 lens with me as I did not want to carry the larger zoom lens. The 1650 is awesome for taking pictures of people close up, however, due to the limitations of such a lens the pictures of the buildings were quite small (this is normal and is not a complaint), what I did notice once I looked at the pictures on my laptop, was the clarity and colour. The pictures were infinitely better than anything I have ever taken up until this point. I’ve since been taking may pictures with different lenses to work out limitations and what lens is best for what situation, but all in all this is a phenomenal bit of kit.

OPTIONAL/REQUIRED EXTRA’S
Lens caps/covers - if you are getting the dual lens kit, get a spare body cap (I got the JJC L-R9 Rear Lens Cap/Body Cap for <4GBP on Amazon). As usual Sony give you just enough caps for one lens, but not both!

Screen protector – I opted for one as it will hold the camera’s value and why would you want to risk spoiling such a beautiful product. The expert Shield product for this camera is wonderful and highly recommended (although I was very close to getting the hard plastic screen by Sony).

Case – Nothing provided by Sony. I opted for the leather option sold by Sold by Prostrap2010 on amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K4T3VS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It’s about the same price as the body cases sold on the Sony site and comes with the lens cover as well. The case is second to none, looks stunning, fits well and compliments the looks of the Camera.

Book – Once you see the amount of features, you may want to get something to help you out. I cannot recommend this book enough (The Complete Guide to Sony's A6000 Camera (B&w Edition) Friedman, Gary L.). For 25GBP I got the book, a PDF copy and an ebook format. It’s not a guide for novices, but if you persist with it, it will really help, it’s well written and even has stuff like the authors personal camera settings. This is something I will refer to over time as I get my head around photography, and the language. Yes it does help from the start, but you need to understand more about photography than just the basics to fully appreciate this book and this CAMERA!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this camera because of the great reviews and with the idea of replacing my bulky ..., 16 Aug. 2014
I bought this camera because of the great reviews and with the idea of replacing my bulky SLR. It is a great little camera and I really really like it. It has two shortcomings, however. The first is that the battery life is rather short compared to my old SLR so I purchased a second battery to carry along on day long trips. And secondly, the instructions are pretty thin on the ground in that the camera has an amazing amount of options and an instruction disc or such would have been helpful since as of this writing, I use very little of the camera's full options.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, unbeatable., 10 Aug. 2014
Gareth Steel "species" (Oxford) - See all my reviews
coming from using dslrs like the A77 and A99 I was initially quite sceptical about this camera, especially as I had tried many alternatives in the past in an attempt to find a suitable backup. What I can say is that after using it for birds in flight, for several days, I am very impressed. This is the camera I have been waiting for! OK from a low light perspective it isnt going to be as good a say the A99, but what surprised me was that it was far better than my A77. Yes its a far newer camera of course, but given its price I expected it to be only on par, not trounce it. Where of course this camera really excells is its focusing speed, and for once the claims are true. This thing is nothing short of superb, but I do have a warning though, whilst it is great, like most cameras it will struggle under certain conditions. For example if I shoot a flying stork, the white against the blue of the sky it has no issues and is spot on. If for example I shoot a bald eagle flying in front of trees, then whilst still better than any dslr I have had, it isnt perfect. I generally dont use the tracking function, which may seem odd, but I find better resukts without it. That said I set the camera up to track a bee on a flower, and it never missed it, even when the bee when out if shot and came back, which is quite impressive. Again though, dont expect miracles, there will be times when it will struggle - you could really expect it to track a ninja at night!

Now you do have to get Oss lenses to have stabilisation, and originally I thought this would be a drawback, but in actuallity I have found it works better for me.

Having wi-fi built in is very useful and now I probably wouldnt consider a camera without it.

So what are the drawbacks, sadly there is one (well sort of), and that is the range of lenses specifically made for Sony CSC's. It is true that you can get adaptors which will convert almost any lens from almost any manufacturer to fit, which is excellent, but it can be a bit of a gamble to know which lenses work well and which ones work poorly - after all many werent designed for this sort of camera. In additon having an adaptor, especially the sony ones, can add significant bulk, almost negating the benefit of the smaller body.

One thing I do miss is that the screen isnt as flexible as the A99, and doesnt twist round so as to have it against the body of the camera, protecting it when you want to use the viewfinder.

Overall though I am very impressed, so much so that I am going to look at the A7r, with the hopes of scaling down/replacing my dslr kit. It's lightweight body, fast focusing, machine gun 11fps, and good image quality have won me over. It wont of course win the people over who think you need a huge dslr with camera grip to look like you are a professional - I didnt chuckle at myself at my local bird of prey centre seeing what some people had brought. In some cases sometimes smaller really is better! of course Sony doesnt have quite the legacy of Canon and Nikon, but my hope is that they will continue to release more lenses as their products grow in popularity. It will take time, there is without doubt a lot of equipment snobbery, especially amongst the aforementioned Nikon and Canon owners, but if Sony keeps chipping away, people we see that their products are comparable, if not in some cases better. FYI I was once a Nikon bod, then Canon, now firmly Sony...

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile upgrade from NEX6, 3 Jun. 2014
Dabbler (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought the A6000 because I wanted a faster autofocus than my NEX 6. I was also interested in the upgraded resolution this camera gives.

I bought a kit with the 16 to 50 Zoom but I need to be replaced it with the 18 to 55 as I believe that this lens gives sharper images than the kit lens.

The odd thing is that thinking about this review I don't actually have a lot to say about this camera. Yes things have improved over the NEX6 the autofocus in particular is much swifter. I find myself using the viewfinder a lot more than the screen It is much better than the previous NEX6 Finder, even though on paper the resolution is lower. It is much more responsive and I find the colour difference between the viewfinder and real life a lot closer than the older camera.

I do like the improved layout of the controls and the extra function button is a benefit to me and it's quicker to change things like autofocus mode. There are almost too many focus modes now with compatible lenses. I like the slightly enlarged handgrip but for those people with large hands they might find their fingers get too close to the lens.

I use this camera with the Sony EA2 adaptor quite regularly, and it works really well especially with the Sony Zeiss 24 to 70 mm lens although this combination does look a bit ridiculous and does weigh quite a lot.

Resolution wise the extra eight megapixels makes a difference especially when cropping in. It now matches the resolution of my A900, although I still prefer the full frame DSLR for quality the a6000 is certainly smaller and lighter.

Low light or high ISO performance is okay but not amazing, better than you might expect for 24 megapixel sensor, they have improved the technology since the NEX 7.

Battery life well I would say it last about the same as the NEX 6 does, I took about 200 photographs the other day and it dropped to about 50%, only about a dozen with flash. I'm continually impressed by the fps, although it is not faultless on quick moving children for example coming to camera it was a successful about 50% of the time. This is also very dependent on you being able to reframe the image that quickly on a viewfinder find out which is continually blacking out after taking a frame.

I have been quite impressed by the exposure metering, not often is the camera fooled by tricky situations.

I like the new layout of the control dials, they seem to be stiff enough without being too stiff or too easy to move by accident.

Overall I'm impressed by this camera and it's a keeper, that is until they bring out a budget full frame Alpha camera that means I can retire my A900.