5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of the BST series

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Out of Step with the Series
Published on 1 April 2008 by Jason Disciple

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of the BST series, 14 Jan 2010
Ann H (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This book has been an excellent resource for studying 1 Peter both on my own and in a home group setting. I am grateful to the author for the way he has made Peter himself become real for me. Peter, as a living man, walked and talked with Jesus, watched what happened to him and around him, and had to fight to accept that all of that suffering in love fitted with what he had been taught from childhood to expect of God. Edmund Clowney brought home to me what an amazing gift and privilege it is to have one's mind informed and changed by God himself. A previous review of this book had made me hesitate about whether to bother to try it. It has proved to be, for me, one of the most rewarding studies of the many in the excellent " The Bible Speaks Today" series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Out of Step with the Series, 1 April 2008
I think that The Bible Speaks Today by J A Motyer, J Stott and others is an excellent series. I have studied the Bible using 9 of these and they are very very helpful and achieve the goal given in the Preface: 'to expound the biblical text with accuracy, to relate it to contemporary life, and to be readable'. I would commend the series most heartedly. BUT the book by Clowney fails to meet these objectives most miserably. I was very disappointed. Mr Clowney may be a most learned and excellent theologian. a brilliant scholar but imparting that knowledge is not the goal of this series. Skip this book and get ANY of the others.