Canon PowerShot SX700 HS Compact Zoom - Black (16.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom)
Style Name: Camera BodyColour Name: BlackChange
Price:£232.45+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 30 September 2014
The camera is a great buy. This model replaced my (8) year old Canon PowerShot and accompanied us on our recent S African safari. The zoom is incredible, images are sharp and clean. Power on/off is a bit slow if you are in a hurry, as is the zoom. The compact size is perfect for dropping in your pocket or bag and easy to retrieve. My photos were as good if not better than those taken by fellow travelers with bulky cameras with changeable lenses. The bag, in my opinion, is too bulky, has unnecessary pockets and detracts from the compact size of the camera. I quickly replaced the bag with a much smaller, single pocket protective case. I already had a gorillapod, so this one is just an extra. Overall, I'd recommend buying the camera alone and pairing it with a smaller travel case.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I guess Canon evolved the SX200 series cameras as far as they could take them; the SX280 was a great travel / pocket camera; albeit one you needed a spare battery for. The SX700 loses features from the SX280 - most painfully for me a reduced ISO range and for travelling around and knowing where you took your photo its disappointing to lose the GPS feature. In exchange for those features you gain 4megapixels with the SX700 having 16 megapixels and an extra 10x of zoom taking it to 30x and to try and manage that extra zoom the image stabilisation has been improved. After the new zoom the next big improvement is the new screen on the back has twice the resolution so it looks more clear; and the menus look better. The battery live is also still improved; though the SX700 still doesn't charge via USB needing a cumbersome charger to go on holiday with you.

The zoom / Lens
------------
In my first city centre based experiments with the camera I found the camera nice in the hand. The button layout is new but the movie button is better on the top than the back. There is a snap out of zoom button to help you frame your photos; press it the SX700 zooms back and shows a box where your zoom was; release it and it snaps back; excellent for tracking moving objects. That 30x zoom does come at a price though; I have steady hands but zoomed out to 30x its very difficult to hold the camera steady; and for truly sharp images you need a tripod; back at 20x its much easier to control the camera. The pictures modes are still there from the SX280; including my favourite miniature mode (which is also available in the video.)

Still Photos
----------------
The drop in ISO / raise in mega pixels has resulted in mostly noisier photos which is a step backwards. I also feel at the extreme ends of the zoom the image quality isn't as good as it should be; photos look out of focus. I have uploaded examples of the zoom range in the city centre a couple of photos from a walk in the Peak district. The Robin Image has really good image separation (and the background blur is excellent) but the Robin itself isn't really in focus - you can't see the feathers. As a snapshot it might be more than enough; but you can get a better photo.
The drop in ISO ability is most noticeable when you are out with friends; I took my SX700 to a retirement party in a restaurant; less than perfect lighting. Pretty much all photos the camera asking me to raise the flash (its manual now which is a big improvement) at times the SX280 wouldn't have done so. With the flash on the pictures were very good; but do you want to fire a flash in a restaurant?

Video
--------
The video image quality is better; as is the sound quality. I took and the video stabilisation is markedly better - even at the extreme 30x end of the zoom. The sound quality is excellent; shooting video of songbirds in the forrest the audio was very good; in the city the auto levelling the microphones are internal to the camera but are now on the camera race. As they are internal though so the zoom is evident if you use it. The video looks better than its processor - and it doesn't destroy the battery in the way it did with the SX280. There is a super 240fps mode at very low resolution if you want to analyse sports or other fast moving events the SX700 can still make super slow motion videos.

Its Peers
----------
I get to play with a lot of cameras the SX700 (as with the SX280) I bought with my own money. If you are looking to spend your own money; my honest advice is at the time of writing the SX280 is considerably better value. If you want the latest toy; the Canon has good image and video quality compared to its peers. The interface is also much more responsive and easier to use than its sony and olympus peers. . Compared to the competition I have a Sony super zoom and had an Olympus in my camera cupboard both are in the 20-30x zoom space and competitors. Both have higher megapixel counts in their sensor but take more noisy photos (and in the case of the olympus it feels sluggish.) In my use the SX700 is excellent compared to its peers. Using MP4 video on the canon the video is easier to work with than the AVCHD of the Sony; and the image and sound quality on the SX700 is noticeably better than both the Olympus and sony. The sound levelling in the SX700 seems much improved.

Sharing photos / there is an app for that
----------------------------------------------------
The Canon iPhone / android app lets you take pictures or share them on the internet is easy to get from the app stores; and its easy to use with the SX700. The Canon app lets you take and share photos; and in use its more flexible than Sony's was (though sony cameras all have differing interfaces so that may change) - both the Canon and Sony apps worked first time - I have never been able to get the Olympus one to connect.
Conclusion
--------------
My advice on the Canon SX280 when it came out; was it was better than its predecessor but the significantly lower price tipped the purchase in favour of its predeccessor. I think at the time of writing the SX280 is far better value; as the price of the SX700 comes down that will change. Im just not sure the SX700 is all that much better than its predecessor. The extra zoom range is nice; but when using those high zooms you don't get a sharp image unless you have some kind of support. I also miss the in camera GPS function; I can use my phone with the app to tag images - but that comes at the expense of both camera and phone batteries which isn't a good solution.
Compared to its competition its 4 stars at the current price point; its pictures are generally better but it doesn't feel like a polished product. Bring on the SX720 in 2015. At its current price its predecessor is 5*.
review image review image review image review image review image
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 August 2014
I've Just had this camera for 3 days, 500 photo's... and well, I'm just not impressed.

I have a Canon DSLR (70D) and love it, and thought I'd change my compact to Canon. I shied away from the SX280 because of battery problems..... and to be honest the SX700 is just appalling for battery life... 500 pictures, 8 minutes of video and I've used 3x full batteries....

I've had Sony HX5 (brilliant), HX20 (great, stolen from me), HX50 (Gave it back after 2 days, terrible picture quality)
I've also had the TZ40 x2 as I broke the screen on one, great little camera... and now I was looking for a longer zoom compact

Anyway I write this for all of those that have had the dilemma whether to go TZ60, HX60, or SX700 (or other).... I want to like the Canon, I really do, it's robust, zoom is great/quick and focus peak is very useful... fast autofocus... when it focuses that is

.... but the problems are battery, you can't take more than 8-12 mins of video (after taking 40-50 pics) and you get the red flashing battery warning). My Sony's and Panasonic's batteries are good for 300-400 shots and 20-30 mins of video easily before you get near any dead batteries

... and picture quality, great when it works, but you have to really work at it.... it does not focus at near range when zooming (like the Sony/Lumix's do well at), the Macro double beeps to focus, but it has not focused (1/4 times it might)...

So I'll give it a few more days, hope there's a firmware fix or some gem of wisdom, or I will be giving it back and getting the TZ60, despite the reports that the SX700 image quality is better.... it is NOT better than my TZ40, so the TZ60 can only be better than the TZ40.... I'm sad, because it is well made and solid....

I am an 'experienced enthusiast' and strive for the best settings and trial every possible tweak, so I don' believe I'm not getting the best this camera can give.... I do hope I can be proven wrong
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have had the sx220, sx280 and now the sx700. Yes im a superzoom compact junkie! The first things to strike me as standout differences between the sx280 and the sx700 is the flash lock slider switch on the left side of the camera. Im not really sure what the point of this is. When im program mode you cannot make any changes to the flash settings without sliding the switch to open the flash. Personally I don't like this, its one extra step in making your settings with no benefit that I can personally see. Then there is the on/off switch. The classic position for canon on these pocket zooms has been to place the on/off switch on the far right of the top, but now its been replaced by the video record button which used to be on the back of the camera. So the on/off switch is now to the left of the record button and the zoom slider. I kept finding myself starting a recording when I meant to switch the camera off. I guess you get used to it after a while but for now if you're a long canon user you will find yourself doing this too. The other thing that hits me is how chunky the `pocket' zoom is becoming. Noticeably wider (thicker) with a larger lens ring this no longer fits smoothly into tight jeans. The sx280 does manage that but the sx700 is no longer what I think of a true pocket camera, though of course it will fit into loose trousers or a handbag no problem. Online sample photos did seem show the new 16 megapixel sensor producing sharper and cleaner images compared to the older 12 megapixel sensor and I found this was indeed the case. The difference was actually much more than I expected, in a/b comparisons to my sx280 it was certainly a stepup, making the sx280 look a little blurry in comparison. I noted that the sx700 often chose a higher iso, sometimes by a full stop while keeping shutter speed and f-stop the same compared to the sx280. This didn't seem to affect noise which was still better than the sx280. Is the new sensor really that much cleaner or is it better noise reduction? I personally feel it's a little of both looking at the smooth appearance of the noise with hints of smearing typical of noise reduction, but it is well implemented if that's what it is. The biggest challenge with the sx700 is keeping the camera still when using the long zoom. I found , as you would expect, more photos showing hand shake blur (on still subjects) compared with the sx280 but still ended up with cleaner images with more resolution thanks to the extra zoom and the better sensor.

If your looking for a first time superzoom compact then this is a winner in my opinion. If your looking to upgrade from the sx280 then the decision is a little harder. As I write this review the sx280 is half the price of the sx700, and its not half the camera plus it fits a pocket much better. They both have the digic 6 sensor which for me makes both cameras standout from the competition, its so fast and smooth in operation it's a pleasure handling the cameras. For me as someone who will mostly make use of that extra zoom then I think it's a worthwhile upgrade even if you have the sx280 already. You will gain cleaner images with more resolution/detail at the far end of the zoom. Also note the sx280 had battery reporting issues although for some, but not all, was fixed with a firmware update.

Personally i recommend using My Colors to take the sharpening down to a setting of 2 (from the default 3). This seems to best setting to keep sharpening artifacts to a minimum while allowing for editing afterwards (or leave as is) to sharpen without producing the noise the in-camera noise that i see from 3 upwards. You can of course turn sharpening off but a setting of 2 seems to be where you have enough sharpening for acceptable out of camera images even if you dont edit afterwards but still leaving the option of sharpening further if required.

The sx700 uses the nb-6LH battery which is the high capacity version of the nb-6L used in the sx280 and other canon cameras. They are interchangeable so if you have some spare nb-6L batteries they will work in this camera.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style Name: Camera BodyColour Name: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Canon SX700 comes in a box with minimal packaging, an external power charger, battery and carry handle. The manual is next to useless (although it does come in 18 different languages). It shows you how to use the very basic functions of the camera and gives you a location to download the real manual. To save digging through the web site this is the link to the actual model reviewed - http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_SX_series/PowerShot_SX700_HS.aspx

As with most other cameras there is no SD card supplied, and I used a class 4 8GB SDHC card which worked fine. The camera itself is slightly heavier than some other compacts, but only noticeable on first use, I found in day to day usage and carrying around that it felt fine and comfortable to hold.

The screen is excellent - it's 3 inches and very sharp resolution but not touch screen which means you have a couple of dials and controls on the camera itself. There are 11 different modes to choose from, and some are obvious such as sports for fast moving images, some odd modes such as fish eye that distorts the image like, well a fish eye lens, and creative mode which takes several shots and applies filters to them giving a different perspective on the shot. You can also manually control and set the shutter speed, aperture and priority which allows you frame the shot exactly as you'd want it.
Finally, and this is a gimmick, but there is a tilt-shift mode (called miniature effect on the camera). This is something that I've used external software for in the past so I really like that it's built into the camera software - it allows you to frame a scene as though it was a model (i.e. a model railway scene) by focusing on the middle of the picture and moving the top and bottom slightly out of focus.

For day to day use you thankfully have a smart auto mode, which is the one I used most often as it was intelligent enough to give me the right settings every time.
The face detection works well and adjusts the shot to make it a touch softer. There is also a dedicated hardware face track button that ensures the face stays in focus - quite a useful feature, especially if using zoom and you loose track of the subject, then it will find again.
You can also register a face beforehand and the camera will prioritise that face in a scene. You can also register birthday data, which means the registered face will still get the main focus in a scene with lots of people. It's not a killer feature, but it works well enough and adds a degree of usability to the camera.

In low light scenes, the flash will not fire automatically. You get a message on the screen then you have to manually pop out the flash (with a fiddly button on the side) and then manually push it back in. This is shoddy. On a camera in this price bracket and level of build quality, how difficult would it have been to have an auto flash feature? The are almost standard on cameras that are far less expensive and while it may seem like nit picking, I found it annoying to set up the shot then have to activate the flash manually. While I'm moaning, the flash housing is very weak and looks fragile as it extends from the main body.
I've had no issues with it to be fair, but if the camera was dropped with the flash extended then it would without doubt break off. The entire design and activation of the flash is inexcusably poor.

In actual use, the quality of the optical zoom is superb. It's probably the best I've seen on any compact camera - at maximum zoom, you can get far more detail than is available with the naked eye. However be aware that at that magnification then you'll need a very, very steady hand or a tripod. My few few shots were poor but I soon got great pictures with the use of a mini tripod. I tend not to use the digital zoom so won't comment on this, other than it's there and doubles up the zoom.

The quality of the photographs taken with the camera are very good - they average around 4Mb each in size and they are mostly sharp and in focus. I say mostly as there were a couple they were not as clear as I'd like, but this was probably down to user error. The colours are vivid, and are generally a good representation of the scene - the green focus light sometimes can change the picture, but there is an option to adjust this on the camera. Even at maximum zoom, there is a lack of artefacts and each shot is clear and good quality. One feature that I really miss is GPS tagging, it's something that I like to have on the photos, so that you can accurately see the location the picture was taken after the fact, but as this isn't built into the camera then it's difficult to add later.

The button to start video shooting is to the left of the main shooting button, and easy to operate. The camera captures up to full 1080p HD without any issues. The microphone is good enough to pick up voices, but doesn't pick up the zooming of the lens - something I've noticed with video mode on other compacts. The resulting video looks clear and crisp and it's good enough quality to be used without carrying around a separate video camera.

You can edit both video and photos on camera, adding effects, cropping and so on directly on the unit, however I prefer to capture the images and then review and manipulate separately. One slightly useful feature is the remote shooting (via WiFi) where you can link the camera to a device with the appropriate software.
I tried this on both iPad & iPhone and you can adjust zoom, timer and take pictures remotely. It's also excellent to review on a larger screen. One other feature is the ability to add GPS data to the picture (as the camera sadly won't). I tried this a couple of times and couldn't get it to work though.
You can also use WiFi to send images to another camera, computer or printer, and it's useful to send without having a lead or taking out the SD card out of the camera. I used an access point at home to pair the phone and camera, but you can also set up a peer to peer network when out and about that allows the camera to connect directly to your chosen device. There is also a physical button on the camera to allow quick and easy connection. Again, another nice to have but not essential.

The battery is 1060mAh, and this has been fine for me for several days of shooting - I generally buy a second battery for when I'm out and about to ensure I don't get caught without power but I'm finding that this seems to be enough for an average (for me) day of taking photos

In summary, this is an excellent camera that takes high quality still and video images with one of the best optical zooms in the price range. The two huge bug bears for me are the lack of GPS and the frankly baffling manual flash control/mechanism - this makes it lose a star, but please bear in mind that this is simply something in which I may be unique, and is only my opinion.

For people that aren't as picky as me, then it's highly recommended and certainly represents good value for anyone wanting a compact that's an all rounder.
on 1 December 2014
Sorry Canon, this is not one of your best. Fantastic zoom, nice handy size, but terrible picture quality. Ok I have some top of the range cameras to compare this with, but I have had much better ixus cameras that are 10 years old. I can only put it down to the massive zoom you have achieved, but I never use the really extended zoom anyway as it is all too shakey.

So if you want nice snaps then this will do it Ok, but if you might ever want a decent photo I think you need to look at Sony...
on 24 January 2015
Poor quality, images slightly washed out look, too much work in software afterwards needed to bring up acceptable images, camera subsequently part exchanged after just a month for something better.
VINE VOICEon 31 July 2014
I can't recommend this compact enough for users of all abilities. It's takes incredible pictures, is very easy to use as a point-n-shoot, but is manual enough for experienced photographers to adjust shutter speed and aperture for the specific shot. Best of all it has an amazing 30x optical zoom for such a small camera. This makes it perfect for a whole heap of picture taking, from wildlife to plant life to great wide angle landscapes to close ups. It focuses well for macro photography zoomed in and does a fantastic job of shake-compensation. Even zoom right in I got a clear in focus shot (with not the steadiest of hands and no tripod).

This camera doesn't have the gimmicky features other compacts do. It's meant as an all-rounder compact that you can take to just about any environment and get a great shot, while not limiting the ability to manually adjust settings (though it does have one slightly gimmicky setting "fish-eye"). I'm ashamed to say that this camera, in some instances, takes a better shot that my Nikon SLR.

It doesn't just take photo's though, you can take full 1080p HD films with this camera. Great for holidays or uploading to the web. The camera can be used in conjunction with the Canon app to upload direct to tablet so you can view and share your photos in seconds, and its very easy to use. Just download the app from the app-store, open it, then click the tablet icon button on the camera, connect to your wi-fi signal... and that's it.

This small compact can do so much that it's got to be a MUST BUY for pro photographers who want something lighter and amateurs who want a great photo and a versatile camera.
on 1 June 2015
I did a lot of research before I bought this camera which was a replacement for an Ixus which was stolen. I wanted a simple, no fuss camera with a powerful zoom so I could catch wildlife mainly as well as panoramic pictures. The zoom is very important to capture those subjects you can't get close to without frightening them off. I also wanted a camera that wasn't too bulky or heavy because I tend to carry it with me wherever I go. I have used this camera for a few months now in different situations and although I haven't begun to explore its many functions, I am absolutely delighted with the quality of pictures I'm getting. The clarity of pictures on full 30 x optical zoom are fantastic and show amazing detail of birds, butterflies, etc. Similarly I've been impressed with the great picture quality in poor lighting, outside and without flash.
on 23 July 2014
Extremely good camera. The flash on the first one supplied was not working and so I returned it on Saturday free via the collect + service. I was amazed when a new camera arrived on the Monday - well done Amazon - very customer focussed.
I should add that the new camera works perfectly.