4.0 out of 5 stars A Fighter Pilot's Tale.
"Bugs" and I flew Lightnings together at RAF Wattisham in the 1960s. This story omits some of his more outrageous episodes from those days, including the Summer Ball at Wattisham --- but I won't tell, Bugs. Poor Bugs is now in care, suffering a final illness. I wish him happiness and thanks for all the fun we shared.
Published 9 months ago by J. Stewart-smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Did they really risk life for Science
Fascination l
Published 6 months ago by David Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fighter Pilot's Tale., 18 Sept. 2014
J. Stewart-smith (Pembrokeshire Wales) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating insight into the world of the raf, 29 Oct. 2001
By A Customer
An interesting and human account of life as an RAF pilot. "Bugs" describes his life as a pilot, as a family man and touches on the tragedy of his illness Multiple Sclerosis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific., 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Never in Anger (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished Never In Anger and already miss its company. Bugs had an interesting and varied career in the RAF and relates it in a most entertaining manner. He is self effacing in his writing and never comes across as pompous or overbearing. He explains the flying manoeuvres in such a way for a non flying duffer like to understand easily.

Also he tells us much about life of station particularly the social scene and also reminds us of the realities of the Cold War.

A tiny gripe would be he doesn't remind us of exactly who some of the friends and colleagues were when they are referred to again later in the book.

A delightful book by clearly a delightful man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into RAF life, 26 Jun. 2014
A. J. Patton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Never in Anger (Kindle Edition)
Written with pride and passion for the job he did.Where would we be without men like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars good syntax, grammar and style, 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Never in Anger (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, well written, good syntax, grammar and style. Secondly, from one who has served in many of the RAF Stations that Bendell has written about, but as a non pilot, I found intriguing to have a deep insight into the training of RAF pilots in particular how managers (Air Staff) make use of the experience of their pilots to improve flight safety and air experience. Thirdly, as a doctor who, since retirement, has devoted a year of my life working in an MS Centre with patients receiving hyperbaric oxygen treatment and specific types of physiotherapy, to hear the words of a patient from the onset of his condition and the personal fight he has had dealing with his affliction. A good read and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining!, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Never in Anger (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I think it is one of the best of its type that I have read. The author writes with a great deal of subject knowledge about his life in the RAF and his service spans from the 1950 right through the Cold War and beyond and so reflects the changing ethos, equipment and priorities of the RAF in those ever changing times. He writes with much humour and understatement and is not afraid to admit to his mistakes. He also writes without self pity about the illness which ultimately ended his RAF career. A highly recommended, thoroughly enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent account of service life in the sixties through to the mid eighties., 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Never in Anger (Kindle Edition)
This is a collection of anecdotes recalling a service career filled with stories of an era that has been seriously overlooked by many aviation writers. Having served on many of the squadrons mentioned, I can honestly say that I was impressed with this writers power of recall and total lack of self promotion. How refreshing to read what turned into a trip down memory lane for me, as I reach the stage in my life when nostalgia becomes more 'normal'.

5.0 out of 5 stars I give this book five starts without hesitation for the ..., 31 Aug. 2014
Tibblington "NSG" (Liorac-sur-Louyre, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Never in Anger (Kindle Edition)
I give this book five starts without hesitation for the content and quality of writing. It chronicles the life of an RAF officer passionate about flying. However I consider that it would only be of interest to anyone who has served in the RAF or someone associated with the service. For me it enabled me to experience the probable life of our late son who was tragically killed in a flying accident in Hawk jet while at the beginning of his career.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight to the front line of the "cold war", 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Never in Anger (Kindle Edition)
This book describes "Bugs'" career from the Air Training Corps to a senior officer in the RAF through the cold war. It provides a fascinating insight into the men and machines that were on the front line of the "cold war" and is full of detail and humour. A must read for anyone who lived through the 1970s and 1908s or has an interest in the history of that period.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT HUMAN TALE !!!!, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Never in Anger (Kindle Edition)
This guy writes from the heart - rarely has an officer presented a tale of his service life with both personal and professional perspectives so well intertwined. This background to Cold War service, and the unhappy ending, made for a really human story, not ofrtn encountered from a gung-ho fighter pilot. Excellent.

Never in Anger