Format: Audio CD|Change

This is another one of those box sets that the classical music industry is churning out, as they exploit back catalog. I remember the days when one would pay the same price for an opera on three or four discs, and now you get 56 (or more) CDs for the same price.

Classical collectors probably won't find this set interesting, but it's the ideal box set for someone interested in classical music, and trying to build up a library. It covers a good range of symphonies, from the earliest examples through the late 20th century. With three CDs of Haydn, as many of Mozart, all of Beethoven's symphonies, a good sprinkling of Brahms, Mahler and Sibelius, the basics are covered. There's a good selection of 20th century music as well: Stravinsky, Ives' second symphony (his best, in my opinion), Shostakovitch, even Messiaen; Berio, Lutoslawski, Part and Glass finish up with an eclectic selection of works.

These are all DG recordings, and there are no real duds. If you're hesitant about the modern music - about 1/3 of the set - don't let it put you off. If you're starting to build a library, grab this; you won't get a better bargain with a-list performers. You probably won't like everything, but you'll be able to sample dozens of composers over several centuries.
on 28 April 2014
I received this box set the day of release.This is a bird eye view of the box set.It shaped like a perfect cube that does not melt in large glass of whisky but it is smaller in size of the Living Stereo or Mercury living Presence and it perfect like a king size kebab to put in your
hand language to travel in far distant such to see the kangaroo in Australia or to se the vicious monkey in Uk Gibraltar or siting under the mango tree in Mauritius or under an umbrella in Bognor .(UK).If you like symphonies it is included from Martini,sorry, Sammartini to Phill,Phil,phil,Phillip Glass.The quality of sound from the recording that so far is excellent and no complain so far.I am are aware there are some other symphonies I would like to be included in the box set but even perfect diamond has impurities.I am pleased to purchase this box set.For those who is starting to listen classical music this is excellent collection as a base on the long road to explore other genre of music such as piano sonata.Highly recommend to those who do and do not like classical music.The view expressed in this review here is not the the view of the author as I wrote this under the influence of cooking sherry and I am hiding from my wife for spending so much money on box set in March and April 2004.Any remedy for headache when my wife hit with a saucepan which will happen soon. I say good bye quietly in case my wife heard heard me. Please no negative comments as I can feel a headache coming. Pass the reinforce helmet.The next larger box set that I ordered is the Scarlatti 555 sonata in 34 cd that is coming soon so is my wife with a larger sauce pan.I thank God that I am still alive today..Tomorrow I do not know. I wish Amazon do not sell so many box at a give away price.For October. I ordered a bigger box set the complete RCA James Galway. . Despite all negative comments I bought more box set that you have hot dinner as nobody has posted more reviews that one other person.I have listened to all cd and still rate to any one who want to buy this as an introduction to classical music or those who know it all this is he best box set for 2014.If you do not agree then tell me which box set you think is the best and the box set that I bought is James Galway complete,Karajan 80 and Bernstein coming box se,Paul McCarthy Venus and Marduk and Kiss on the bottom.
2121 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2016