5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect intoduction to Scratch and a great way to bridge the gap to the new National Curriculum in ICT., 9 Mar 2014
Jason James (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought my 6 and 8 year old a Raspberry Pi for Christmas and the first thing we did was see what this thing called Scratch was. We spent several afternoons creating programs using this very child-friendly program. Once my son saw that he could build the game he wanted to play, and then play it, there was no stopping him - he's the 6 year old.

Simple things were easy to accomplish with a little trial and error, but more challenging ideas required some research: How can I get my cat to look as though it is actually walking? How do I keep score during my game? How do I keep my car on the road? Answers to these questions and many more were waiting for me in this book. I worked through the examples from cover to cover over several nights (once the kids were asleep and I could get a look in) and it helped us to progress to a stage where we were really able to create some great projects and learn some of the fundamentals of building computer programs without it seeming like we were all back at school.

Since getting this book my children's school has dropped teaching Word, Excel and PowerPoint during ICT lessons, and are now teaching them Scratch. Many schools that follow the National Curriculum for ICT will be doing the same, or have already done so, and this book is a great way to supplement the lessons they are getting at school.

The book was perfect for my children and I to work through together or dip into if we wanted to find help on a particular topic. The author has a really engaging style, clearly has a great understanding of the subject and a great ability to communicate that to his readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is 'in easy steps', 1 April 2014
A very easy to follow book for anyone who has no programming experience. My 8 year old son has no problem following the guide without any adult help - it is written in a clear, child friendly way. For me, as an adult that can only use word processing packages and the web/email etc, this book has proven to be a great introduction into the world of programming. Adult and child can learn together - perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scratch Programming in Easy Steps - Book, 17 Nov 2013
This is a first class publication for beginners and children alike.
I found it very easy to follow from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 11 Mar 2014
N. Collins - See all my reviews
I bought this book with no experience of coding, to stay one step ahead of my six year old son. It's easy to follow format has very quickly given me the confidence and enthusiasm to develop my own projects and the chance to share new skills. A great little book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Scratch Programming in easy steps (Kindle Edition)
As a grandpa learning how to use Scratch before introducing my young g'kids to it, it is ideal and lots of fun too. I am quite addicted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work, 9 Jan 2014
This is a very useful book for anyone looking to use Scratch for the first time. There are many useful ideas within this book and they are all accompanied by colour pictures. Great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent beginners guide, 30 May 2014
This book is a tremendous introduction to Scratch programming. If you have a Raspberry Pi, or Scratch on a standard windows based machine, then this book is an ideal guide. There are 2 versions of scratch (though only 1.4 is currently available on the Raspberry), and this covers both versions very well.
The book is very well written, has loads of pictures and explanations, and is printed in a very easy to read style. I particularly like the continual pictures of what you should be seeing in your 'script' so you know if you have missed anything out. The book gently takes you through a number of different games and drawing applications, which gradually build your knowledge.
Don't assume this book is totally for beginners either. Scratch, despite it's child friendly look and feel, is a very powerful piece of software, and this book will enable you to wield that power with confidence.
For anybody who is interested in taking their first steps in programming, then look no further than Scratch Programming In Easy Steps. It is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this book extremely useful when trying to decide lessons for my year 4 ..., 8 July 2014
I found this book extremely useful when trying to decide lessons for my year 4 class. Although I didn't use any of the chapters outright, the ideas and methods are clearly laid out and the short projects are suitable for less experienced children (and adults). The book helped the kids build confidence and knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Introduction to Scratch, 14 Jun 2014
As a teacher, I bought this to help myself understand the power of Scratch before I got my class started on it. I found it a very easy to follow and helpful book that taught me how to create a great range of Scratch projects. My Y5/6 class have tried several of the projects with great success and many have gone on to buy the book themselves to explore further. Perfect for the new 2014 UK Computing Curriculum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative - definitely recommend, 26 Mar 2014
I am very keen on programming myself, but I was having trouble coming up with inspiration and ideas for my new Scratch games. I received this book and was immediately impressed with its simple-to-follow and child-friendly instructions. The book is very informative and has clear pictures and diagrams which made it easier for me to re-create the programs on my own computer. I loved the fact that you learnt about different areas of Scratch, and how the book had a range of programs, most of which were easily downloaded or produced. My favourite project from the book was Hangman, as it taught me how to write text on the stage, using a sprite ! I would highly recommend this book to all my friends and any beginner, or even experienced Scratch programmer, to improve or inspire their Scratch projects !

Scratch Programming in easy steps