4.0 out of 5 stars The Future of Lighting
I bought the Philips Hue Starter Kit to add to the integration and automation systems I already have in my home. I'm a bit of a geek!

Product arrived promptly and was set up in less than 10 minutes. It's as simple as screwing in the bulbs, connecting the bridge to your router via the included ethernet cable and getting the Hue app on your chosen device and...
Published 13 months ago by Matt

2.0 out of 5 stars Lovely spectrum of ambient lighting. Eratic software, lots of WiFi interference and poor customer support. Wait before you buy.
2 stars means it's a 3 star product with a star off for 1970's customer service attitude (think late 1970's Wimpy Bars - I was 12 at the time) and that's all I can say about this system overall - not including the rediculous price which would take a half-star off to be honest. The concept is appealing and controlable dimmable 16 million colour lighting certainly caught...
Published 11 months ago by Mr A CANNON

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunrise Wake Up and much more..., 6 Feb. 2015
NeilC (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Decided to go for the Phillips Hue lightbulbs as I was looking for a sunrise wake-up alarm clock and for the same price as a good one of those (about £100) you could get the Phillips Hue with 3 light bulbs to use in lots of different rooms. I therefore use the light bulb in my own room for my wake up, one for the kids in their room and another for just general use.

The lightbulbs are an absolute doddle to set up. Took less than 3 mins out of the box. The official app from Phillips is easy to use, but lacks anything but the most basic functionality (group lightbulbs, turn them up and down, change colours). However, there's a plethora of apps on the android and apple App stores that allow you to do a huge multitude of things like set sunrise and sunset times, make the light change in response to the music, come on a certain times of day etc.

The lights themselves are great. The colour range they achieve is amazing and you can very easily create a variety of different warmth's depending on your usage (watching TV, working etc.). One great feature is if that lights are on a funny colour, just switch them off and on again and they default to a nice warm yellow. I'm sure some might see them as gimmicky but I had a specific use for them and they did a great job at this, I use the feature every single day and waking up and getting out of bed is much easier as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars How cool are these lights?, 9 Sept. 2014
Mr. A Garcarz "Guitar God" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting Starter Kit (3 x A19 E27 LED Light Bulbs, 1 Bridge) (Kitchen & Home)
How cool are these lights?
Since taking delivery of my starter set i have literally hours of fun. Ny other half just moans and says stop messing around and leave the set to one thing or another, but they are so versatile I just love trying out as many combinations as I can. One word of advice, the Phillips control app is bettered by several other free apps so check out some of the others for even more lighting options - and more ear ache!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the right people, not for the lighthearted, 6 Feb. 2015
Mr. Benjamin Gorczyca (UK) - See all my reviews
To start off, yes these bulbs are expensive. These are more of a hobby for me:

The possibilities with these bulbs are vast. The hue app is rubbish, however since they released an API there are plenty of alternatives, Lampshade.io is my favorite. Using the same API you can interface with these bulbs using Python, so you can control these with scripts on something as simple as a raspberry pi.

Now onto the lighting aspect:

As a light bulb and not a play thing these are equivalent to say a 50-60w incandescent bulb. This is a little dim for some scenarios as they are just a little too dim for some rooms, so in some rooms your need two. What these are absolutely fantastic for is reproducing different colour temperatures. It seems that philips designed them to accurately produce the different temperatures, as a byproduct of this some colours are not as brilliant as they could've been, green for example is a little lacking. The best part though is simulating sun sets and sunrises on a schedule. I really feel it helps me to stay alert or get sleepy when I need to by using the brighter more blue colours during the morning hours and warmer more red tones at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some day all lights will be like this!, 6 April 2014
Shaun Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 1:00 Mins

The Philips Hue lighting system is a next generation way of lighting your home.

This starter pack consists of a base "bridge" that connects to your home router and three remotely controllable, multi-coloured LED E27 screw bulbs.

Once you have connected the hub to your router and screwed in the bulbs, simply download the Hue App to your Android or Apple smartphone and pair the App to your bridge by pressing the button in the middle of the unit.

You can now control the bulbs from your phone!

You can set a timer so that they come on or turn off at any time you want, you can turn them on or off with the phone, you can dim them, you can change their colour, you can create a lighting scene, or you can control them from anywhere!

I am really impressed with this system and my wife absolutely loves it. She hates coming home from work to a dark house and now she doesn't have to.

As this system is designed to be left on all the time, I have tried to find out the standby power consumption. I found the following on the Philips Hue Discussion board:

Each bulb uses 0.4 watts in standby mode.
The Bridge says 5v/600ma on the bottom - but the forum said that in reality it uses far less.

I also have a electrical power usage energy monitor that gives me a real time display of how much energy I am using. It showed no difference in power being used with the lights and bridge in standby to when I powered them off at the switches. I must add that energy monitors are not very good at detecting small changes in power use, but I suspect the amount is very small - perhaps 3 watts in total.

In use each bulb is rated at 8 watts, which is less than most "energy saving" compact florescent bulbs. They are also supposed to last 15,000 hours in use.

One last thing I tried was installing the App on both my phone and on my wife's phone. This worked without any problems at all. We could even set up different lighting profiles so we could control different bulbs, or we could both switch them on and off at will.

Overall: I really am very impressed with this product. I think in a few years time that this type of lighting system will the norm rather than the exception.

Lastly - Have a look at my little video of the App running on my Android phone and controlling two lights in my living room.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice toy, but not sure its worth the price!, 13 April 2014
South Londoner (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A few years back they said all our appliances would be connected to the internet. But no-one said that would include our lightbulbs! Well the future is here. Control your lights over the internet, change their colours, set alarms, get your lights to come on automatically when you arrive home. Yes, this Philips Hue starter pack can do all of that.
The bulbs themselves aren't much bigger or heavier than normal bulbs and give a wonderfully warm and bright light - perfect for reading. Connect the base station to the internet, pair the lights and download some Hue apps and then you can really see what they are capable of.
Change the lights to suite your mood. Set them to come on slowly in the morning simulating sunrise. Or get them to glow in funky colours. All of this is possible!
I really enjoyed experimenting with HUE, but at the end of the day I'm not sure its worth the price and I find I'm not really using the functions that much. I think the apps need to be a bit more intuitive. I'd like one app that can do it all rather than needing 3. And I think it needs to come down in price too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I received these and easily plugged them into the 3 lights, 22 Oct. 2014
These I believe really will be the future of home lighting, I received these and easily plugged them into the 3 lights, and then connected the wireless bridge to my router (you must have a bridge to operate). The instructions were clear and simple and really talked me through each step of the process. The Hue app from Philips is a touch basic but does exactly what you need to get going. There are many 3rd party apps that work with these lights so the possibilities really are endless in terms of what you can achieve.
I will have to say that the need to access your smartphone to change and turn off lights can become tiresome -but this can be solved by buying the Philips tap which is an external control (another investment I know)

Overall the quality of the item is high which is reflected in the price, but you do get what you pay for which is stunning lighting effects

You can link many different types of Philips product to your bridge to create different effects and can have up to 50 items on one bridge. I would really recommend these to anyone as they can transform a house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but you need a hefty budget!, 29 Dec. 2014
The ease of set up on these things is amazingly easy and well done. The products themselves are really cool although you have to think they are only used in the dark and more in winter!

Why only 4 stars? Simply cost, the starter kit you can just about swallow but £50 a bulb!! YES YOU DID JUST READ THAT RIGHT ITS 50 QUID FOR ONE BULB!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, if with a few niggles., 21 Mar. 2015
Mattdoc30 (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I really like these Hue light bulbs and I'll be buying more in the future. Very easy to set-up and get going and I've configured a number of nice features such as the porch light turning on as I return home (and if the sun has set) and the bulb in the bedroom coming on slowly over half an hour for a natural wake up. It doesn't get 5 starts for a couple of reasons. While it was easy to set-up, it hasn't been without it's niggles. There have been periods where the bulbs appeared to have minds of their own and would turn on and off randomly (that seems to have stopped now, so perhaps a software bug) and the reality of needing your smart phone on you all the time to use the bulbs didn't sit well with the missus (I've bought the Hue Tap to go with these bulbs now and domestic bliss has returned!). One of the bulbs is also awaiting collection via UPS as it has simple stopped responding and Philips issued and RMA - that said, the customer service has been fast an efficient.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for setting a scene at home, 3 Sept. 2014
Great for setting a scene at home. Bulbs at £50 are expensive if you are thinking of kitting out your whole house, or even several rooms, but I image a professional solution would be x10 more expensive. Impressed with IFTTT.com where you can get all sorts of add-ins like "turn lights on a sunset".

4.0 out of 5 stars Isn't technolgy wonderful, 4 Jan. 2015
Hippo (London, UK) - See all my reviews
While you can get adaptors for the E27 bulbs these native B22 bayonet bulbs fit in better our standard UK fittings for a smaller and better connection.

They are undoubtedly cool, quite bright and no bigger than a standard bulb but they are of course expensive, they are also only the equivalent of a 50w bulb so they cannot replace 100w fittings satisfactorily, but in my three light fittings they work well and allow for fancy multiple bulb effects.

What lets it all down is the android controls, there is a great control that will perhaps be developed some day but at the moment the official app just does not handle groups of bulbs efficiently and the non official apps are better, but still not quite as good as they should be.

I really like being able to control the lights from my Logitech Harmony TV remote, its expensive but it is so good,

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›