NESPRESSO© COMPATIBLE

* STRENGTH : 8

~ DARK FRUIT
~ COCOA NIB
~ ORANGE ZEST

Published 4 months ago by A Customer of AMAZON-UK!

These are described as Strength 8 and for a Lungo size drink. I found these tasted weaker than strength 8ths I've tried using official Nespresso. The taste was ok and better (stronger) as a Espressso.

Published 3 months ago by Uncle Barbar

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Luxuriously nutty with hints of ripe berry fruits, clear citrus notes and a chocolate-like flavour', 24 July 2014
This review is from: CafePod Nespresso Compatible Arabica Colombia (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods) (Grocery)
NESPRESSO© COMPATIBLE

* COLUMBIA HUILA
* LUNGO : 110ml
* STRENGTH : 8

~ DARK FRUIT
~ COCOA NIB
~ ORANGE ZEST

As the description of coffee increasingly becomes similar to that of a quality full-bodied wine or an expensive chocolate box selection, there is no argument from me with the above and the amount of packaging does not particularly worry me when it comes to choosing my coffee.
It is all part of the unique and desirable experience, which starts with that fresh, moreish aroma on opening the easy-tear individual little pod packet and follows through into a flavoursome cup of coffee with a thin but perfectly adequate crema.
This is a rich smooth coffee on its own if you like yours strong and dark, but adding milk makes it a longer, lighter affair.

My robust little machine (Nespresso Magimix) copes fine with this type of POD and no extra pressure is required.
The VINE package, which arrived, was a sturdy CAFÉPOD cardboard container with four boxes of ten individually sealed pods safely stowed within.
Each 52g box, measuring roughly 9 cm x 9.5 cm x 13.25 cm high, is just the right for my top cupboard shelf, which is an added bonus.

On the base of each box:

* 'Recyclable carton and capsule ~ Sachet and capsule film currently not recyclable

The black/brown pods dissect easily, as I continue to pile my coffee remains around the sunflowers in the continuing struggle with the midnight feasts of the slug and snail population!

'Best Before July 2015'...on my batch, but I'll be ordering some more way before then!

ooOoo

From the box:

'100% ARABICA
Ingredients : 100% Roasted and Ground coffee

FAIRTRADE certified.

COLOMBIA: With its high altitude, consistent temperatures and mineral-rich volcanic soils, the Huila region has become synonymous with great Colombian coffee. Its quality Arabica beans deliver a smooth and well-balanced cup.

Origins by CaféPod: Select single estate coffees expertly sourced from around the world. Crafted from HIGH QUALITY Arabica beans slow-grown on the slopes of the Andes, COLOMBIA HUILA represents the best of Fairtrade small-batch production.

Our DEDICATED farmers remove the fruit from the bean before fermentation for GREATER flavour clarity and acidity, resulting in a vibrant orange zestiness and a LUXURIOUS chocolate finish.

TASTING NOTES: Luxuriously nutty with hints of ripe berry fruits.'

ooOoo

EDIT TO ADD:

I was just about to throw my first empty box away when I spotted a note to 'Tear open to explore'....so I obeyed.
Yet more information about the origins of this coffee and a map!
A nice extra touch and I can feel another 'little project' coming on!
The little(-ish) ones will be impressed when they return from their summer hols!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as bold as I was expecting, 30 July 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My reviews of Cafe pod capsules are the same (as they function and perform the same), but differ in the review of taste.

These are individually wrapped plastic capsules that when opened release a welcoming aroma of roasted coffee

I have some reservations over plastic capsules as some I have tried have failed to puncture correctly and this has led to weak coffee and wasted capsules. However, these are pre-perforated plastic capsules (hence the need to individually wrap them) and they perform well.

The capsules fit perfectly in my Nespresso machine and I set the coffee to lungo. I was pleasantly surprised when the coffee started to flow as if I had put in an aluminium capsule. The coffee amount seemed to be just right and there was little evidence of back feed of water where it had failed to push through the capsule. The real quantity test is that my super-size coffee mug takes 2 lungos and milk set to the latte mark in my Aerocchino. With Nespresso capsules this gives me a full mug of Latte. With the Cafe Pod capsules the level was much the same as if I had used the aluminium Nespresso capsules. Flow test passed! The crema had a decent golden colour, but there was some muddying, but nothing to effect the taste or to complain about.

Of course if the coffee doesn't taste right then it makes little difference how well the pod performs. Like wine, people have their own preferences and tastes and what is pure nectar to one is pond water to another. I prefer dark and bold coffees with heavy earthy tastes. This is a level 8 roast and should therefore be a strong intense roast as it is at the top of their strength range. However, don't really associate Colombian coffees with bold roasts and find many of them to be mid range at best in terms of my penchant for bold coffee. The roast is not strong enough for my liking, but did appeal to my milder coffee drinking wife. As it is made from 100% Arabica beans the cup has a softer rounded taste to it with a good balance of acidity that doesn't feel like an electrical charge running over your tongue.

In terms of value for money, at the current price at a shade over 9 GBP for 40 capsules this puts each capsule at around 23p each. This is a very competitive price for 100% Arabica beans compared to Nesspresso capsules. Even though these pods function a little better, I would urge you to check out the Carte Noir range. Depending on fluctuations in price, they are priced around the same per capsule and just have the edge in terms of taste.

Bottom line: Good coffee, a capsule that functions as good as Nespresso capsules and very good value for money. Whilst this coffee wouldn't be at the top of my shopping list of capsules, I can't see any reason not to give it 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok coffee, but I'd prefer to spend the extra on Nespresso capsules..., 7 Sep 2014
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I found the crema to be quite thin. They are around 5p cheaper per pod compared to Nespresso and as you can order smaller quantities for free p&p, it makes them cheaper still.

As with all non-Nespresso capsules, they are individually wrapped which puts me off - more wastage and unable to store them in display units.

An ok coffee, but I'd prefer to spend the extra on Nespresso capsules.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than Nespresso, acceptable (for a pod); fiddly recycle, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, I don't believe that the pod experience can ever rival the carefully sourced beans (and variety of beans) which can be had with the loving hand-grinding experience coupled with my new best coffee method Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (or even the French Press, cafetiere, for more cups at once) Though I'm the first to admit this takes some time.

Machines are good for the varying demands for coffee, and several cups of these, all at once. My hand grinding muscles can't cope with crowds. Machines also provide the added touch of crema, not to mention the delectable possibility of froth for the cappuccino heads

I don't know what the beans used for this would be like to my tastebuds if I had done the handgrinding and the Aeropressing on them, but, certainly the taste of the coffee lacks the layers of flavour available in my two current favourite beans Barbera Classica Espresso 1000g Coffee Beans JJ Darboven Movenpick Cafe Creme 100 Percent RFA 1 Kg

I couldn't find the described notes in this - the orange zest particularly, which is very evident in the Movenpick. Though these do indeed work beautifully in the Nespresso by KRUPS U and Milk Pure Cream Coffee Capsule Machine with Aeroccino, 1700 Watt in the end the real downside to the, well, acceptable but not memorable, an average cup flavour is the issue of recycling. Which is kind of the real challenge, to me, with pod machines.

Nespresso, particularly for those of us lucky enough to live close enough to a boutique where we can collect a little handfull of recycle bags, have this sorted well as the pods can be packed as they are in the nespresso post bags and returned, for free to Nespresso for recycling using the widely available Collect outlets. More difficult for those who have to wait till they re-order a quantity and meanwhile may be gathering mould on their existing used pods.

Cafepod are half-recycleable and half not, with disassembly needing to be done. The foil individual wrappers are NOT recycleable. Landfill then. The pods are - but not AS they are. The film lid (not recycleable) has to be removed. The grounds from the pod are then scraped out for your compost bins. The rinsed plastic pots can then go to plastic recycle.

Well, on a day recently with several people drinking several cups of coffee, I realised the amount of time I then later spent of doing my environmental bit easily made the fully recycled Nespressos worth their extra cost, and possibly I could have made 'grind those beans by hand' a game for guests to share around and delivered better coffee with even less waste!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect - but not bad, 30 Aug 2014
Andrew "Little time to "read" plenty ... (Chinnor, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly I love my (newish) Nespresso Citiz - it's great and consistently does a good job. However it's only 1/2 of the "coffee" equation. Nespresso capsules are also excellent and again, deliver consistently good coffee. However they come at a premium price - so more economic alternatives are always welcome for consideration.

CafePod - in this case Arabica Colombia - is one such example. At something like 20p - 25p per capsule that's a reasonable saving over the 30p you'd pay for a "genuine" (i.e. Nespresso) similar strength Arabica.

Each capsule is individually wrapped - which is a good thing because the foil capsule is perforated and a small amount of fine grains of coffee are discernible when opened - it would get a little messy without the wrapper. Personally I find the packaging less pleasing than Nespresso's offering.

The capsules are exactly the same in use as the "real" thing. Possibly slightly smaller as a couple of times over enthusiasm in loading a capsule resulted in it falling through to the used capsule container. However this is not a real problem and easily avoided.

The coffee... Not bad at all. I detect a slight graininess that I've not with Nespresso's own. However the flavour is good - though I'd prefer it stronger. This capsule makes a long coffee (lungo) which is generally expected to be milder than an espresso. Strength wise it's listed as an 8 - which is probably fair.

Bottom line. I'll not stop with genuine Nespresso capsules. Somehow they are slightly slicker and smoother. However - despite the saving not being huge the quality is sufficient and the saving just enough that I would certainly use these again - and I will try similar products from the same producer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value alternative to Nespresso capsules, 4 Aug 2014
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like the Carte Noir range, these coffee pods are completely compatible with the Nespresso machines - some others seem to take more force to pierce the capsules, but not these. The top is more plasticy than the foil type used by others. It's a bit like very strong cling film. Also like the Carte Noir range, the packaging is either premium or wasteful - depending on your point of view. The boxes contain individual pods that are then in individual sealed bags. Is this necessary? Surely the pods themselves are sealed enough for freshness. This means that if you store them in anything other than their original box (say if you like to have a choice) then you find yourself unwrapping them all. Furthermore, there is no differentiation on the capsules for the different strengths (like the Nespresson colour coding for example). These are minor points and at the current selling price these offer great value for money and are a lot cheaper than either the Nespresso or Carte Noir ones. Taste is subjective but of the three makes, I prefer the Carte Noir flavour, but the Cafe Pod range is perfectly drinkable - in fact I think they taste more similar to the Nespresso originals than the Care Noir range. Five stars for value but losing one star for what I think is over-packing and lack of differentiation on the capsules. To my taste, I prefer the espresso version of the Cafe Pod range - for me, the Colombia is a bit lacking in umph - but of course if you like your coffee weaker then this the Colombia is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, nice and strong, good crema, 18 Aug 2014
Smatch (South West) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To start off with, this isn't expensive high end coffee, it's not meant to be, if you like expensive high end coffee and consider yourself to have an acquired taste then this probably isn't for you. But if, like me, you love a quality rich coffee in the morning then this is for you.

Like a lot of the non-Nespresso capsules these come in individually foil wrapped pouches in boxes of 10, so they will in no way fit through anyones letterbox like some others and Nespresso branded ones do. However these are a very good price for how many you get, especially when taking off the postage that Nespresso charge.

The design of the capsules is one of the better I've seen (I've tried quite a few now), the plastic is quite hard so is not pierced at all, but there are ready made perforations at the back for the water to be forced through, at the front is a layer of plastic with perforations also, the coffee is forced through fine, though you only get around 2-3 seconds worth of pure black coffee through, which is fine for me because I always have milk. It is strange why Cafe Pod don't foil wrap the front and use less thick plastic so they don't have to use so much packaging, but it is good to see they've dealt with this by already putting holes in the back so you don't worry about your machine taking damage.

Overall I'm impressed and will be buying these in the future, like I already do a previous Cafe Pod line I have previously tried.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special in the taste department, 31 Aug 2014
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is based purely on taste and nothing else because we do not have a 'Nespresso compatible' coffee machine. Specifically we use a Philips Senseo 7825 coffee maker (definitely recommended) with an essential accessory : the Coffeeduck Pad. So in this case, the CafePod pods are not actually used in the conventional sense; we just put the coffee itself into the Coffeeduck. It's a minor inconvenience but we've got accustomed to it.

Anyway this Colombia Huila is rated 8 in strength but this doesn't reflect our own impression. It's not exactly weak but it's not as strong or as rich as another we have been trying at the same time : Carte Noire Espresso No 9 which admittedly has a slightly higher strength rating but to our tastes is undoubtedly preferable.

We typically buy Colombian ground coffee from Aldi, which is okay (it's very good value though at about £1 per 100g) but it still just about has the edge over this CafePod Colombia Huila, so given the price - about £4.40 per 100g - which is more than three times the price of the Colombian Catura Arabica at Aldi, it's hard to make a case for it. It's okay but for our tastes at least we cannot recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job!, 7 Oct 2014
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The IT boys at my workplace have a Magimix machine that takes Nespresso pods. Somehow, whenever I need something to enliven my day, there's always a pressing reason why I MUST visit them in person. Being hospitable boys, they will always offer me either an espresso - or if they have enough milk - a perfectly adequate quasi-latte. There is a price to be paid of course, and that is the fact that I'm forced to listen to their sophmore speech cadences and frankly juvenile humour. But that's the trade off for a decent cup of coffee.

Anyway, onto this particular product. I've used them in my machine at home and also dropped a couple of boxes off with the IT crew in order that I can also enjoy them at work. The consensus among the four of us is that the pods produce a good, medium
espresso with a nice taste.

Cheaper than Nescafe pods, they offer a tangy, vibrant alternative to the 'official' product, have a nice decent aroma and come at a fair price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drinkable coffee from functional pods., 1 Sep 2014
John R. Wade "john24526" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a coffee expert, so take what I say with a spoonful of sugar..

Firstly, the pods fit and work. They may not fit as smoothly as genuine nespresso, but they are okay.
And the coffee is pleasantly robust.
Basically, these will work with your machine, unlike some 'compatible' products I have bought in the past.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›