on 10 April 2014
In our first couple of visits to Italy over the last two years we went to Tuscany, Umbria, north Lazio and Rome. We used the Rough Guide for Tuscany and Umbria and the Lonely Planet Rome - both were very good. For planning a trip to a wider area (Bologna,Verona, Lake Garda and on to Milan) and subsequent travel we bought the LP Italy. We have used LP for several other trips and have found them to be as good as any, particularly for the wider area guides rather than city guides and this is no different.

It is excellent for a bit of a potted history of the places that we visited and gives a general introduction - certainly excellent for general places to visit, traveling / transport tips and places to eat. You can't expect everything to be absolutely correct as it is a huge amount of information and business change etc, some of the things like prices and opening times differ from the book on occasions, it does also pay to check ahead to confirm details via the internet if you have the opportunity but this book is pretty comprehensive.

It also included a pull-out Rome map, which is I believe the same one that we had in the LP Rome book.

I would certainly be confident in accuracy to use it for further trips to Italy (we absolutely love the country, history, culture, and people!) and would probably stick with just this book than buying any more of the specialist regional versions that they also produce. I always find that tourist information places and car hire places give good detailed local maps and would use those to top-up this book if necessary. I would also recommend the Lonely Planet Italian Phrasebook - a little goes a long way when it comes to trying to speak Italian to locals!
on 15 March 2014
I had never visited Italy before. The lonely planet guide was invaluable. It gave me the opening times of attractions and the entrance fees, travel costs on trains and buses along with the times, numerous suggestions for visits, which I would otherwise have missed as well as the more obvious sights to see, suggestions for eating places and the specialities for the area.and much more. I was able to make the most of the time I spent in Italy.
This 976-page book - the 11th (print) edition of February 2014 - is an interesting and readable guide to the southern European Republic of Italy. This is a well-designed and presented guide, with useful maps. This is not a glossy guide with lots of colour pictures, but it is a well-designed and laid out guide, with colour used only sparingly, such as for maps. It is intended to be a helpful guide to things to see and do, and not just a list of things to see and do.

It is broken down into four major sections:

Page 6 - Plan Your Trip:
Introduction to Italy, what to look out for (Italy’s Top 18), what you need to know in advance, touristy stuff, etc.

Page 61 - On The Road (“The Guide”):
P062: Rome & Lazio (with a detachable fold-out city map of Rome inside the back cover)
P162: Liguria, Piedmont, & the Italian Riviera
P704: Puglia, Basilicata & Calabria
P765: Sicily
P831: Sardinia

Page 873 - Understand (local culture):
History, art & architecture, cuisine, etc.

Page 932- Survival Guide:
A-Z Directory, transport, language, index, etc.
on 12 August 2014
Received quickly - usual Lonely Planet standard though less seamed to be marked on the map than lots of other LP that Ihave used in the past.
on 28 June 2014
Bought it for an upcoming holiday. It gave me the information I wanted.
The book is a bit big, so it's not going into the baggage.
on 20 November 2014
Have used lonely planets for years, but found this to have quite a lot of errors in the maps, and locations of places. You can read one section, i.e. Naples and it refers to a map which is a totally different place. Ended up not using it for too much reference of places. Shame as they used to be the best. Would recommend looking at other guides also.
on 11 September 2014
We are traveling to Rome and then down to the Amalfi coast next week and the Lonely Planet guide has been very useful when planning the trip ... full of good tips and thing you need to Know
on 15 October 2014
Great write up - far more information than you will ever need! You can trust Lonely Planet to deliver on this. I have several of their publications and have never been disappointed.
on 10 April 2015
Checked out a few of the places to eat, reviews were spot on. Maps so super helpful as soon as I arrived off the train from the airport. All historical information on sights and monuments interesting and all description were accurate. A helpful aid when travelling (I myself used it for a trip to Rome, Naples and Florence).
on 27 September 2015
Sadly didn't include the town we are due to stay in and a thick book that is too heavy to carry with us. Good for research from the comfort of your home. Would prefer to see a northern Italy version as the southern Italy one is excellent and that would allow better coverage in a thinner book.