5.0 out of 5 stars Future retro!
Published 10 months ago by Pepper

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, Awful Battery Life
Published 13 months ago by Stacy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, Awful Battery Life, 24 Mar. 2014
I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio. While not born there, it was the city where my love for all different types of music developed, even in the face of such horrible radio stations (the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is a joke, but I digress). Back then I was proud of my tabletop stereo with the wired speakers as I rotated through my 3!! CD changer and grooved out. Now music lovers have the option of listening to music through Bluetooth wireless speakers, enabling us to play the sound wherever we like! Truly, technology is a marvel. And, of course, that is where the OXA NFC Bluetooth Natural [Wood] Wireless Speaker comes in.

Functionality

The OXA NFC Bluetooth Natural Wood Wireless Speaker (henceforth referred to as the OXA NFC to save my hands from wearing out by just typing the product name) is a cube roughly the size of a large alarm clock; the nifty part is that you can use this speaker as an alarm by syncing it with a device that has one programmed. This, however, is but one function of this product.

At it's heart, the OXA NFC is designed to play sound. Since it is a Bluetooth-enabled product that also happens to include a microphone built in to the top of the unit, there is a great deal of flexibility in how you choose to use this device. If you want it to act as a speakerphone for your cell phone/tablet, you can do that. Want to listen to music saved to a micro-SD memory card? No problem. Heck, it can even support devices that do not have Bluetooth capability by using either a USB or 3.5mm Aux Line-In (the cable is even included in the box).

What if you don't have a music device? Never despair: if your pet iguana ate your iPod, this device can even function as an FM radio to help you get through the day(s) until you can get a replacement (or until the iguana gives it back to you, if you know what I mean)!

Use/Performance

When you first turn on the OXA NFC, it will automatically enter Bluetooth sync mode; during this time you can have your iPod (or other device) detect the speaker in order to link. Once you have set up a connection to the speaker, the next time that you use it in Bluetooth mode it will connect to the same iPod within the first few seconds after the speaker is turned on, automatically.

When using the OXA NFC, the screen on the front of the device will say "Blue" and a voice will advise you when the speaker is connected to your device; command buttons will then appear at the bottom of the screen (it is a touch screen), allowing you to adjust the volume, choose a song, play/pause, and choose the operation mode. With the Bluetooth mode being the first mode, the second is the FM radio, third is Line-In, and finally back to the same voice announcing that you are in Bluetooth mode.

Pros:
1) Syncing this speaker to your desired Bluetooth-enabled device is a breeze. No fussing around and holding down buttons for a set period of time; the OXA NFC takes care of that for you.
2) The sound quality of this unit is amazing; especially considering how lightweight it is!
3) The "Mode" button responds quickly and cycles between modes with no issue.
4) If you have an audio device plugged into the OXA NFC before you turn it on (i.e. - auxiliary cables and/or the micro-SD card reader), when you do use it, the speaker will detect that device and enter the appropriate mode.
5) The volume level is independent of the music device synced to the speaker. While the volume will go up if you raise it through the device, the speaker will respond. However; you can then use the command buttons on the face of the speaker and bump it up/down as desired.

Cons:
1) While you can change the song playing on your iPod/music player through the control buttons on the touch screen, there seems to be a bit of a lag when doing so. In the long run it is much faster to change songs using your iPod, rather than the speaker.
2) The battery takes about four hours to fully charge, and then only lasts roughly 1-1˝ hours before you need to charge it again.
3) While the speaker is of good quality in the design, dropping the OXA NFC would most likely prove disastrous, especially on a hard surface.
4) While you can go into FM radio mode wirelessly, you will drain the battery VERY quickly. You must have it plugged in to get the best results.
5) The OXA NFC works well as a speakerphone, but the microphone has a tendency to pick up smaller background noises.
6) The display screen will always list the mode that the speaker is in, which is great, but I really wish that it would show either the current song title/artist information, or even more basic, a clock, as the default.

Overall

While I think that the sound quality and the bevy of features that are available with the OXA NFC Bluetooth Natural Wood Speaker are great, with the short battery life it is a stretch to justify the cost. Sure, you can keep it plugged in, but that rather defeats the purpose of having a Bluetooth speaker in the first place. If OXA can improve the rechargeable battery's life so that you can use the unit wirelessly for longer than an hour, then I could see paying $40 for this item. Otherwise I would hold off and/or invest in one of the smaller Bluetooth speakers that OXA offers (I have one and LOVE it).

**Disclaimer: This speaker was sent to me by the manufacturer at no cost to review. While I do not feel that this influenced me in any capacity, I am legally obligated to disclose this fact so that you can come to your own conclusions about the merit of this analysis.**

5.0 out of 5 stars Future retro!, 25 Jun. 2014
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: OXAŽ NFC Bluetooth Natural Wood Design Wireless Stereo Speaker For iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, iPads, Bluetooth Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia, Blackberry and all other Smart Phones, Tablets and Computers (Apple Green) (Electronics)
This OXA NFC Bluetooth Speaker which was sent to me for review represents a fusion of current technologies including Bluetooth and NFC but draws on the traditional concept of "wood speaker cabinets sound better" for its output. My initial reaction was that it reminded me of one of those Sony Digicube Clock radios in both terms of size and look save the contemporary colour (mine is green). It fits into a niche - it certainly isn't portable as such, but is compact and has a small, square footprint - I'd say it was an ideal desktop device.

In the box you get the unit, a USB to Micro-USB charging lead, audio lead, spare battery cover and instructions. Don't be put off by the screen which has a protective film on it, and, which until you realise it's a protective film, looks as though you've got one with a scratched screen. Once the film is removed the device looks nicely made and well finished. It is powered by a Nokia type mobile phone battery which is easily removable via a slot at the rear.

The on/off switch is quite small but positive and on switching on you get a synthesised voice announcement of "Bluetooth Mode" - the voice is clear if a little officious! You actually have a choice of several inputs; Bluetooth streaming; NFC; Micro SD card, USB stick via the built in reader and socket; conventional audio jack and a built in FM radio. All these inputs worked well for me and Bluetooth pairing was easy, although, as I'm in a fringe area for FM, an external aerial would have been helpful.

The touchscreen display works very well although, in practice, if you are streaming you will probably be controlling the music via your host device such as a phone or MP3 player. The display is a bright red LED one with no obvious dimmer and it shows the track number and time elapsed. The whole point of this unit being made in wood is the sound quality, and, yes, it is very good indeed for the size and cost. There isn't any tone control on the unit but the sound is clear, there's good bass with clear vocals up to quite a high volume level adequate for an average room.

I got about 4-5 hours playing out of this device from a single charge at quite a high volume - if you were going to use it a lot you might want to buy another battery so you have one in the unit and one on charge. I find the idea of a mobile phone battery a strange choice as a power source when, arguably, the makers could have installed a heavier duty set of rechargeable cells (even AA) at less cost but there may be some technical reason for this.

This is an unusual device - it's up to date in its technologies but looks rather 80's, however, I really like it because it sounds so good for its size plus, it really looks different whilst being easy to use. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile Speaker, 31 Mar. 2014
The OXA Bluetooth speaker is not just a Bluetooth speaker. It's also an FM radio, and it has inputs for a TF card and flash drive and auxiliary cable. The speaker speaks to us in a pleasant female voice with an Asian accent. Controls are on the face of the unit, basically a touch screen with LED display. From the looks of it, I think it would make a nice clock. Alas, it does not display the time.

Bluetooth was easy to set up with my iPhone 4S. It always reconnects automatically. The range is not the best of my Bluetooth devices but still very good. I can go down a long hallway and still get reception. Documentation says it can get up to 20 meters. I'd say that's about right.

Phone calls are poor. I can hear the caller, but the voice is soft. The caller can hear me, buy my voice is muddled.

TF card and flash drive work well with this speaker. The display will tell me what track I'm on but nothing else. The only way to pick and choose music is to skip forward and back.

The radio will scan all the stations until his has a list of live channels in the area. After I do it once, I don't have to do it again. Reception is very good. I don't get a lot of static.

One thing I would like to see is a larger power button. We get a small one I have to look to find. Other than that, this little speaker puts out a lot of sound. While it may not have the richness of higher end systems, it can fill a room. That, along with its versatility, is enough to satisfy the average listener.

This product was provided for review by OXA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality sound, quality speaker, 30 May 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have left me to write what I want good or bad.

I have reviewed a range of bluetooth speakers from a few different manufacturers and the ones from OXA have been consistently of a very high standard, but they were all single speakers (for portability). This speaker takes their range to a new level. Stereo speakers with a smaller centrally mounted bass speaker and the box itself lends a hand to the quality of the sound.

In the box you get the speaker, a micro-USB cable, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo audio lead and a set of instructions. I also had a spare battery cover and set of foam feet (as this is an evaluation product, I am not sure if they will come with all products).

The micro-USB lead is for charging the speaker unit which takes just a few hours. It also acts as an antenna for the built in radio.

The 3.5mm lead is for plugging in any audio equipment or phones that do not have Bluetooth, but do have a headphone socket.

The instructions are quite simple, but a little pidgin english. That being said with a little trial and error you can work out most functions.

The speaker unit itself is a solidly built cube. The back and sides are made from some sort of plastic or resin with what they say is a wood effect, I am not sure what it is or what it is supposed to look like, but it is an appealing design and is well constructed. The top panel contains the Micro-USB charging / antenna port, 3.5mm audio input socket, a USB port, micro-SD card slot and the power button. The rear contains a battery cover where the battery can be removed. The battery is a Nokia type BL-5c which is widely available. I think it is a great idea to put in a removable battery. If the battery goes bad, you only have to replace the battery and not the complete unit.

The front face panel is shipped with a plastic film cover. Mine was scratched to bits and I was horrified, until I realised that was the protective cover DUH! When the film is removed you are left with a sleek looking polished black plastic that comes to life when you switch the unit on. The display lights up with red letering and you are welcomed with "HI". Then the unit speaks to you to tell you it is in "Bluetooth mode". Below this are the touch sensitive controls. Back, forward, volume up and down, mode and play / pause. The buttons have different functions depending on the mode.

Pairing up is easy, as soon as it is switched on I just hit scan on my phone, and within a few seconds I was connected and ready to go. This does have Near Field Communication (NFC), but I don't have such a device to try this out. If you don't have Bluetooth you can use the 3.5mm audio lead and if you don't have that, then you can always use a micro-SD card or the radio.

The sound is wonderful for such a small cube. Very little noticeable hiss, a good thump from the bass and loud enough to damage your hearing. For a device under 25 GBP you get a lot of bang for your buck. My usual disclaimer is that audio perfectionists will likely criticise the sound, but I am fairly confident that they would be a little impressed too. For me, I think the sound is perfectly acceptable.

Controls are fairly straight forward with the usual play, pause, skip and volume. The mode button will take you to the line in / card and radio. I was particularly impressed with the radio. Press the mode button until you see "Radio" then press and hod the play button until it starts to seek. It will then store all stations it finds. I did this without the antenna plugged in and it still picked up 6 stations. The quality of the station was very clear, no hiss or crackling - granted that quality depends upon reception. If you remove the battery you will have to re-tune.

Playing from the card was just a matter of skipping through songs as they started to play. The instructions didn't say what the USB pot is for and I didn't have a pen drive to hand to test this, but I think it is for playing audio directly off a pen drive, but I can't be sure.

Bottom line: A very good quality Bluetooth stereo speaker set and at a very reasonable price (currently under 20 GBP). Attractive and solidly built this will no doubt last for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bluetooth speaker with few extra features, 27 April 2014
OXA NFC Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker is a well-made and nicely wooden designed device that besides the usual features found on similar products offers few extra such as built-in FM radio that makes it interesting.

As few other devices I received from this company it also comes in well-designed package box that keeps it well-protected from the possible damage during transport. Inside the box user will find USB cord with a mini-USB charging connector, a twin male audio cord and not too detailed manual. It's stated that battery duration is around two hours, though I managed to squeeze a half hour more.

The device have several function modes enabling audio listening via micro-USB card, an auxiliary in jack, USB port and other sources via Bluetooth pairing that worked flawlessly. One drawback that could be important for some users is that device doesn't allow skipping or browsing tracks on the media.

OXA speaker comes with two 2" diameter speakers, which produce decent sound quality. Of course, do not expect HIFI quality, but considering the size of the device is certainly more than expected though there can be some distortion at higher volumes. Also, the first time you will power on device in FM radio mode, it will try to locate and memorize radio stations available in your area.

The device has six touch sensitive places used for usual functions such as volume adjust or operation mode selection that are together with whole device designed in unique and innovative way - where the entire device with its red lights resembles some cube from the future – makes it look futuristic which is something this company obviously strives to.

The three drawbacks would be:
- incomprehensible and short manual
- device doesn't allow skipping or browsing tracks on the media
- short battery life

Still if you're searching for a Bluetooth speaker with few extra features I would recommend that you consider OXA product as well.

I received a sample of OXA NFC Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker for the purpose of testing and unbiased review, while all the presented information is based on my impressions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the cost....so I thought, 20 April 2014
Bought this based on the other reviews but still had doubts. Never used a bluetooth device for music before and was expecting lag or interference on the sound being as it was at the bottom end of the value scale. However I can't fault it so far, connection is fast and the sound is clear. Arguably the volume could go higher but for the size of it you really can't complain - it's easily loud enough to have on at home and can be boosted by the volume on whatever device you're playing the music on, I bought this mainly for work (I'm a builder) and I think it'll do the job perfectly. The radio also picks up all the regular stations and the reception's great. Seems like a sturdy little unit. I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 for 2 main reasons. The inclusion of a remote control wouldn't be a bad thing (though definitely not a deal breaker) and the fact a voice has to tell you what mode you're in and if bluetooth is connected is both unnecessary and annoying (and can't be turned off). It could just be on the display though that's me being picky! All in all I can't complain.

Added after a few months use:

After using the product for a few months I have changed my review from 4 stars to 2. The bluetooth range is about 10m maximum before it starts distorting/breaking up. The battery life, when in bluetooth mode, is terrible and unless it's plugged in isn't worth using. The battery cover also keeps falling off for no apparent reason. The voice has become more annoying than a Sat Nav woman especially when she's telling you 'no power, please charge' which has become a recurring theme since the USB socket has stopped working unless I bend the cable to 45 degress and tape it in place. Also, a minor point, but when you're using a memory stick there's no way of scanning through albums so you have to go track by track. Not great if there's hundreds on there and especially when there's no memory function if you take the stick out ie it goes back to track 1. Even my cheap van stereo can manage both of these. Definitely got its uses but I've found its also got its drawbacks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Bright Little Bluetooth Speaker in Green., 3 April 2014
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
.On first arriving I was surprised at just how small the OXA NFC Bluetooth Natural Wood Speaker is.
It does have a reassuringly heavy feel to it.
This suggests that this is a quality item and not a flimsy, tinny affair.

Mine came in a smart apple green. It looks neat and great for a bookshelf, it's about as wide as a CD case.
The black of the speakers and front contrast really well with the apple green.
So in the looks department this is a winner.

The good thing is that the box comes in a variety of colours so it will fit in with any decor- tartan lovers excepted.

Now my first instinct was to pass it to my 17 yo music and gadget adept son.

After a lengthy tryout his verdict this is a really neat piece of kit.

He played his I pod wirelessly through it then tried out his android phone likewise.

The sound although not excessively loud was good.
The two speakers provided a neat sound.
he has his on a shelf in front of his desk at face height.
So the size and power are just right.
He gave this a two thumbs up.

This is great for a bedroom but not so good for a concert hall or a large room if you are yards away.
But then this device is not designed for that is it?

The battery life is about 1 and a half hours to two at a push.
It does take 4 hours to charge up however.
If you use the radio leave the jack plug in. This acts as an ariel. leave it connected to a power source like your computer with USB port and and stops it running down too quickly.

All the controls are in the top of the device.
What make me smile was the woman's voice saying 'Bluetooth' when that was selected.
She has a wonderful Chinese English accent.
Quite sweet.

The radio was a great bonus.
It has a really clear bright display.

The stations are not stored and you have to scroll through to get your station.

It's a bit fiddly to tune in but hey we all love to play with tech.
The display is bold and bright.

All in all a def. winner a nice piece of kit.

I was provided with mine for review from the company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity and convenience - good audio, 12 Mar. 2014
Nuknuk (Springfield, VA) - See all my reviews
I really like this unassuming yet nicely designed cube speaker. The front panel is a touchscreen where you can adjust the volume, navigate the music and switch modes from Bluetooth, FM radio and auxiliary. You can also play using a TF memory card (microSD card) if you have a your music selection. The USB slot works similarly for a memory stick or a USB dongle with MP3s. Both TF card and USB dongle will play your music right away once you stick it there - no matter in which mode you are in.

The audio coming from the left and right speakers is pleasant; it is smooth and clean. It won't be heart pounding even if you crank the volume up all the way to the max (32). But it is not a speaker that I am expecting to mimic a boombox. It looks more like an digital alarm clock. Honestly, it would be nice if it has a clock function because it just the perfect form. The red numbers and letters are not very bright and is actually soothing in my bedroom.

The only thing odd is that the connectors are located on top so you would be running your cables on top instead of hidden at the back. But it is that makes it very convenient. Everything is easily accessible - your TF card, USB dongle, aux and microUSB cable. Maybe it is for good reason as it uses the same microUSB cable for FM radio antenna.

I don't have any NFC devices so, I won't be touching that feature, but it is nice to know that it can.

A sample of this product was sent to me for review purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality at a fair price., 12 Mar. 2014
Cube shaped, sleek multifunction speaker that is available in many colours.

Pros:
- Elegant design. Sturdy and compact.
Good sound.
Several choices of music source - Bluetooth; FM; MicroSD card; USB memory stick; plug-in Auxiliary.
Bluetooth pairing is easy.
NFC (Near Field Communication) capability.
Bright crisp screen with vivid Red touch controls, intuitive use.
Two speakers, one on each side+ small Bass.
Replaceable battery.

Cons - Maximum Volume U 32, barely above normal speech.
Poor reception as phone speaker.
Bass function less than expected.
FM requires an efficient antenna.
Too bulky as a travel speaker (4.25” x 4.25” x4.5”), 1lb .
Battery lasts 65 minutes but takes 4 hours to charge.
Confusing inadequate instruction manual, badly translated from Chinese.

Value priced wireless Bluetooth speaker that would complement any decor in a home or office.

A complimentary sample was provided for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome speaker!, 14 Mar. 2014
rpv (California) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful natural wood design speaker. The sound is very clear. Has nluetooth and NFC technology. Digital screen display the working status in bright RED color. Very nice. When the speaker pair with phone, a clear voiceover announces paired. This has 3.5MM Line in, USB and SD Slot. FM radio will automatically search channels after long press the pause button and it was clear. For FM, you need to connect the given microUSB cable which serves as an antenna.

This speaker is bigger in size than a typical bluetooth speaker, but the sound quality and construction is awesome. It also has a nice big LCD display. The battery is replaceable, but I did not open it and test it. I am sure these batteries last a long time. The main impressive thing is it has a awesome sound and you an increase sounds in increments from 1 to 31.