Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 April 2014
After releasing a series of dance floor dominating singles over the past few years, Todd Terje tries his hand at the long playing format, and the results are pretty successful. Whilst avoiding the traps and pitfalls of just producing a mere collection of singles, or worse still, padding out the hits with similar but less inspired filler, Terje does a Daft Punk and delves into dance musics 70's roots with a selection of retro tracks that just about evade the 'derivative' label.

As you'd expect there is a heavy disco influence (in the more European, heavily electronic Giorgio Moroder/Patrick Cowley/Koto vein rather than the live band, syncopated Nile Rodgers style), but on top of that there's tracks that are pure Herbie Hancock style jazz funk, spaced out lounge/easy listening reminiscent of Herb Alpert or Henry Mancini, some esoteric stuff that sounds like it could have been included in the Katamari Damacy soundtrack, like lost gems from the golden age of library music.

However, all this retro referencing and nods to musical influences is all well and good but the main thing here is that this record is just fun. It's good lighthearted catchy pop music and upbeat dance music. The only real exception is the the Robert Palmer cover with Bryan Ferry's vocals which is like an emotive centre amid all the campy spacesynth and Eurodisco. There are even a couple of mini song suites which does sound quite proggy on paper, but Terje completely sidesteps the chin stroking in favour of foot tapping. Plus the album closes with 'Inspector Norse', which is nice.

The album definitely isn't going to win any awards for innovation, with most of it sounding like it was streamed directly from the 70's and 80's, but it's an excellent soundtrack to the summer months, and compared to some other recent big name dance producers album efforts (say, Tensnake) it is pure class.

Update: October 2014: I'm boosting the rating from 4 to 5 stars. I was a bit stingy because it was so retro and it wore it's influences on it's sleeve so brazenly but it's just so joyous and irrepressibly sunny that it's not merely a good record it's a great one.
VINE VOICEon 6 May 2016
This album has quite simply been on a loop for the week that I've owned it. In a world where a lot of music just serves to tell you how great it is to have loads of money / fast cars / bling, or bleat about how tough life is on the streets, Todd Terje has produced a rollicking album of pop/house/funk-infused dance. It is classy, lighthearted, immediately accessible and - heaven help me - fun.

This is a quality album that does not for one second even think about taking itself too seriously. Having said that, there is some absolutely blinding music that you just have to keep coming back to. Stand-out tracks for me are the trippy, trancy, dreamy chords of Delorean Dynamite, the chilled, arpeggiator-laden loungecore of Preben Goes to Acapulco, and the absolutely exquisite Oh Joy, which starts off like the Get Carter theme and turns into a stonking, piano-driven dance anthem. Having said that, there isn't one duff track on the album, and it's a joy from start to finish. An interesting break in the mayhem is Bryan Ferry's breathy, laid-back vocal cover of Robert Palmer's Johnny and Mary.

The musical styles are pretty varied. 70s is writ large all over. I get hints of Emerson, Lake and Palmer (particularly with the cheesy synth leads) and turn-of century Darude with the chunky basses, but it's totally unique. There is even an insane samba track, Alfonso Muskedunder.

I actually adore this album and it's the best thing I've bought in ages. Perfect antidote for all the crap and with summer coming this will get plenty of play. Bravo, Sir!
on 26 January 2015
I felt compelled to write a review for this album. For me its not often that you get so many good tracks on an album to make a pleasing whole. If you like electronica, dance and disco, and can see the sense of melody and rhythm to music, as well as its originality with lots of layers and influences, this album will be for you. Its one of the most raved of electronic albums of 2014 and I can see why. You need to put it on and listen to it throughout as its crafted as one and not all the tracks are to the same ilk, plus it moves through different electronic genres. At first listen you might think its a little cheesy and unimpressive with its staccato café style on some tracks, but give it time and patience and it will reward you. Oh boy will it do so - a real builder album and the best are so! You could be forgiven (at the start) for thinking that listening to any one given track in itself might not be absolutely amazing, but as a whole this album builds and its for those that really take the time to appreciate music. Proper music and none of this online single track cherry picking. I happen to think at least 8 or 9 of the 12 tracks are brilliant. It hails to the current Scandinavian tradition of using lots of synths, some of which will be familiar in the sound of well known artists like Royksopp. It starts off with lots of Scandinavian sampling and synths, moves into chilled café lounge type music akin to the backbone of a something out of a 60's Rivera film, then carries on this tradition before moving into what sounds like Brazilian café lounge. All the time keeping it's disco and electronica stance. Then back onto club/disco and what sounds like house with lots of synths and key changes. The tune from the Renault adverts could not be so good in an electronic form, in the track 'Johnny & Mary', in fact my favourite version with the slightly breathy Bryan Ferry. Then it goes back onto café chill then back into repetitive Scandinavian sounds with lots of arpeggio's. The chilled out 'cafe' tracks are the likes of 'Leisure Suit Preben', 'Preben Goes to Acapulco' and 'Alfonso Muskedunder'. It hails to disco for 'Strandbar' and to the slightly more house orientated 'Delorean Dynamite'. I love the track 'Oh Joy' and when it breaks into the beat at around 3 minutes - it goes from an electronic sounding track into something you want to get up and dance to. The ending 'Inspector Norse' with the keyboard riff, really gets you going again. Clearly this album has been very well conceived and thought out from someone on the top of his game. If you like groups like Royksopp and the electronic / dance genre I don't think you will be any other than impressed by this album. Very well recommended and cant wait for the next one please. When?
on 5 June 2014
this aalbum was what I kind of expected having heard annie mac play a couple of the songs on radio 1 the week it came out, she said it was really good modern throwback to disco from the 70s and 80s and was very good, so I ordered one thinking it might be good having heard the couple of tracks and hearing what she had to say about it, the album was better thaan I expected I love it, it does have 70s and 80s influence but it is also modern with a house music style going on, loved it, 5 stars.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2014
Lets face it, this is probably the most anticipated record in a long time. Todd's been dropping EPs left right and centre, and the question on most people's lips was "when's the album coming Todd?"

After a long period of making disco edits; Todd Terje moved into the world of his own productions. The first I heard of was inspector Norse, with it's pulsy synths and exciting pace. I really thought it could get no better.

I'd obviously not heard Delorean Dynamite - a beautifully crafted 6 minute piece which takes you back to the past of synth music, a time when Jarre was king and the Arp synth was considered hardcore. At the same time Todd makes us feel like we're in a new future we have never seen coming, and this is why this track is so important. He's thought of everything here, from the bumpy beats, cloudy synths and the funky rhythm guitar - this is the sort of track that sells albums, and Todd's hit gold.

Other massive tracks include Todd's homage to Robert Palmer with Johnny And Mary, which features Roxy Music frontman Bryan Ferry. It's a very nice cover which makes you feel all fuzzy and warm.

The rest of the album is just as good, with it's funky disco feel and retro synths. Svensk Sås is a stand-out here. I'm not really getting a feel for Oh Joy yet, but I guess it won't be long until I like that too.

This was well worth the wait-it's funky, fun, retro and different. It really reminds me of when Royksopp first hit the charts back in 2002, it's new different and just cool. I would highly recommend checking out his Soundcloud as there's always interesting sounds coming from him.

Brilliant début, worth every penny.
on 13 May 2014
I kept hearing Delorean Dynamite on 6 Music and thought I would check Todd Terje out at some point. A couple of days later, I then heard the album playing whilst browsing in HMV and it sounded really good, so decided to buy it. I wasn't disappointed.

I've played the album a lot in the car and it really feels uplifting. It is mainly instrumental and sounds like a fusion of 70s/80s electro/disco/funk/jazz. Quite a lot of fun and great to have on in the background. Even Bryan Ferry’s cover of Johnny & Mary, which jarred a bit at first, has grown on me after a few plays.

I think it will make a good soundtrack over the forthcoming spring and summer months.
on 26 May 2016
In addition to the hilarious cover imagery, you are in for a treat with this album.

Its at least the equal of Daft Punk's retro disco stuff. But in my opinion Terje's production leaves that of such other luminaries in its wake.

If your sound system does electronica par-excellence justice, wait'll you get a load of this. Your EQ will love you for it.

Bryan Ferry being willing to croon on one of the tracks and thus take an opportunity to associate himself with our man, should tell you something about the reverence Terje already commands.
I was introduced to this music by listening to BBC Radio 6, Radcliffe and Maconie; love, love, love their afternoon programmes. Anyway - Todd Terje's "Inspector Morse" found its way into my living room via the radio and I've been hooked ever since. Delorean Dynamite, in particular reminds me of Tangerine Dream. Can I use the word "funky"? Electronic music at its best.....I defy you to sit still listening to this.

Suffice to say I just love this guys music....
on 30 December 2014
Many of the tracks here could be a theme tune for a sixties TV show, I'm thinkinking, 'The Persuaders' or 'Vendetta', in other words anything by John Barry. In the same way rock music draws on the blues. Todd Terje has taken the influence of lounge or cocktail jazz and created something unique for the 21st century. It is one of the best albums of 2014.
If you buy this on double vinyl as I did, be aware it plays at 45rpm!
on 8 August 2014
I went into a cafe in Norwich for lunch and they had this on in the background. I was unable to concentrate on what my wife was saying during Deleorean Dynamite. It was the first time I'd heard it and I was swept up. I'm a big fan of electronica and this is the most exciting thing I've heard in years. Well since the last Orbital album anyway. Its like Air meets Kraftwerk meets Disco meets Yellow Magic orchestra. Parts of it are nearly House, I would expectthere are some banging refixes of some of this.

Absolutely cracking album.