5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully complex loved it!
Breathtakingly beautiful.
Let me just start by saying Rachel Van Dyken has the ability to control your emotions through her words. Ruin took my breath away and Toxic made my heartache so bad, both had me ugly crying, and i mean sobbing. There are not enough stars in the sky to rate these books.

TOXIC was simply beautiful, it made me laugh, cry, fall in...
Published 7 months ago by Nicola Higginson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read
This is the second book in the 'Ruin' Series. I really enjoyed Ruin and so I was excited to read Gabe's story. It has a surprising storyline that I would never have predicted. Somehow I didn't feel quite as connected with Gabe and Saylor as I did Wes and Kiersten in book 1. Maybe their relationship felt a bit rushed. Still a good book and worth reading.
Published 7 months ago by Heroesinbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully complex loved it!, 4 Mar 2014
Breathtakingly beautiful.

TOXIC was simply beautiful, it made me laugh, cry, fall in love, made you see the beauty in life and it gave me hope!

At first i was a little confused about Gabe he seemed so very different from the Gabe we met in Ruin. This Gabe was so very broken, the raw thoughts running through his mind, the total belief that he was undeserving of redemption just knocked me back for a while.

We got small pieces of Gabe’s past that left you wondering what was going on and how Saylor fit into it all, what there relationship was all about. Then you get to a point in the story when everything changed. There was a melding of all the parts of the puzzle a culmination of events that made everything click.

Gabe’s life is so very chaotic, it a jumbled mess. Gabe is a very broken male lead, he is full of so much desperation, pain, anger and remorse you just wanna hug him and never let him go, let him know that deserved happiness and love.

Saylor and Gabe’s relationship WOW, you wholeheartedly rooted for them to make it right from there first meeting. When Saylor helped Gabe play music to help him deal with his pain, using her hands to move his fingers, god it was so beautiful. Every piece of music played and words exchanged were so heartfelt and meaningful between this couple.
Saylor is so strong and she becomes the light in Gabe’s darkness, she is so understanding of Gabe’s past and relationship with Princess, and she goes to beautiful lengths to help him heal and cope with the heart breaking situation.

The very last time Gabe sang to Princess, god i had knots in my stomach tears rolling down my face and sobs wracking my whole body, be prepared to used lots of tissues and to read a book so emotional and so very profound, and memorable.
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I truly loved this book, I was looking forward to this book since I read ruin, gabe fascinated me towards the end of ruin and my did he deliver. I loved the whole ' sercret' that gabe was hiding about his past life and it was so far fetched that it actually worked. I am a huge fan of Rachel's work and I haven't come across any of her books that I haven't enjoyed. I had a little moment around page 105 so get ur hankies ready ladies! This novel passes a huge lesson to us about guilt and loss and commitment which in characters so young was very heartwarming. I'm so looking forward to the novella 'fearless' which is the continuation of Wes and Keirsten from ruined! At 77p it's a bargain and I'd highly recommend this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful love story sure to have you in tears - tissues at the ready!, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Toxic the second book in the Ruin series.

In this book the main story is told from Gabe’s and Saylor’s pov and what an emotional book it is, I laughed and cried and cried a few more times. The story is that of love, mending broken hearts, lies and truths, hurt, pain and keeping promises.

Gabe made a promise to his love, to never leave her and to always look after her, protect her and to never let her go; he also gave her his heart.
Four years on and now existing as a shell with a painful heart, he tries to fights his demons and pretends to the world that he is a lucky, go happy incorrigible flirt and womaniser – unaffected by others and living behind a mask.

This all changes when in a rage of anger and frustration he meets Saylor, a freshman trying to complete her grades in Music. Taking his frustration out on her, he knocks her off her feet and sends all sorts of confusing signals her way.

Saylor if literally knocked off her feet when she firsts meets Gabe; frustrated rage, he insults her attire, make assumption about her life and then assaults her mouth with a deep kiss, then mocks her weakness and their chance encounters from here on just go from bad to worse.

There is a connection and an undeniable attraction for each. Saylor cannot understand Gabe’s behaviour and is frustrated at her feelings for someone who seems to go out his way to be horrible and push her away and to throw his life away with alcohol and women.
Gabe racked with guilt, pain and his demons and unable to feel is thrown off kilter when Saylor sparks the lives back into him at a mere touch. Scared he tries to push her away by being a complete ass and scared that she will go and will never come back.

This love story isn’t as straight forward – hey! Let’s face it they never are and never before have I read something so painfully lovely. The suspense and ‘need to know’ will keep you addicted to the pages. This book has its highs and lows and tissues are needed within reach.

Book 1 Ruin
Book 2 Toxic
Book 2.5 Fearless
Book 3 Shame - I believe is being release June 2014 – this is Lisa’s story and it looks to be just as good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Definitely a Must-Read..., 30 Mar 2014
M. Skerritt "onemorechapter" (Northamptonshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Gabe has a secret. He's kept it hidden for 4 years, but he can't keep it for much longer. It's too much, trying to be someone you're not, looking over your shoulder the whole time. Then there was her, Princess. He'd promised her everything and he'd promised her he'd never leave, but how much longer could he keep up appearances?

Saylor needed to graduate, she needed a good job to help look after her mother and brother. She didn't need, or want distractions. Then there was Gabe, the tattooed, no hoper, bad boy, who could play music like she'd never heard before.

I loved this story. This is the second book in the Ruin series, and after reading Ruin, I always believed Gabe had his own story to tell, and here it is!

Gabe has a past that he has just walked away from, completely. He's changed everything to be someone than he's not and he's finding it harder and harder to keep this front together. His visits to the Home have become more frequent, because Princess' condition is worsening. He's guilt ridden and would do anything for her, but the girl he loved has long gone.

Then he meets Saylor, and his world starts to unravel even further. Gabe thinks no one knows his secret, but his best friend Wes has it all figured out, and he's there to help, when Gabe's ready to ask for it.

Gabe's character is very well written, and you can't help but want everything to work out for him, he deserves to have a happily ever after.

Saylor is also very well written and the constant battles she has with herself over Gabe are great! Saylor is a strong-willed character and her and Gabe feed from each other fantastically.

Toxic is a five star read, and a definite recommendation, however, I feel that you would need to read Ruin first, as the character's relationships stem from the first story.

5.0 out of 5 stars ARC given for honest review, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Okay where do I start? Rachel you never fail to amaze me and after reading Ruin I never thought Wes and Kierstens story could be topped in the emotion stakes but I was so wrong and I give credit where credit is due so here goes.
Toxic is Gabe and Saylor’s story in the Ruin series and boy did it deliver! Meet Gabe he is such a deep, emotional but very caring character who believes he can make things right from his past, a past which he keeps secret and tries to take care of on his own in his way. He carries the guilt for years before he eventually starts to fall in love again and even then it’s not straight forward as he is carrying so much guilt and burden and he feels like he is betraying his responsibilities. Gabe is too scared to get involved with Saylor due to his commitments but he can't not fall in love with her. Saylor is a very loving person who’s also had a tough life and her connection initially to Gabe is because of their love for music. Saylor never gives up and never walks away she is such a kind, compassionate and understanding character even when Gabe’s secret is revealed she is with him 100%. They both teach each other how to feel and connect through the music which is simply a beautiful way to communicate. Both characters are very strong an emotional all throughout the story and are there for each other for the now and beyond. Do they get their happy ever after, will Gabe's real identity and secrets of the past be revealed ? You will have to go buy this to find out ! Toxic is a deep, emotional, beautiful and inspiring love story between 2 people who are both emotional and determined to make their love for each other work. Rachel Beautiful Lady, If I could give this 100 stars I would but the sites won’t allow it so it’s a very high 5 stars from me and I look forward to Fearless

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally honest review, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I got this from Rachael from a competition I won on face book. I have read other books by her and always enjoyed them.

I had heard great things about this so was super excited to start this.

After a few days of playing through the start,I was feeling agitated. The chapters were very short and I want feeling the characters. I did contemplate finishing it about thirty prevent in...but I am no quitter.

I carried on, and so glad I did.

I love a love story. And this is it. The deeper into the story you go, the longer the chapters the more you find out and its total heart break.
I was sobbing.
Physically proper tears, not just a sad face.
Rachael van wrote a hot scene with it mention throbbing members, and heaving breasts...the kiss and the piano was hot...and a love triangle like that? Hard to beat, totally great breaking and real.

Rachael, you are amazing. I love your stories.
They get me every time.

Please, don't stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOXIC, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Where do I start,book was amazing! Couldn't wait to read the next book in the series,loved Gabe's story, rollercoaster of emotions had me crying with them throughout the story but glad he got his happy ending! Great job Rachel! X

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it...., 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Yet again another fantastic read from this author had me hooked from the start till the finish as do all her books she is such a talented writer. Gabe and Saylor story was romantic emotional and when you read about kimmy oh boy you just had to feel for all three of them you definitely can't go wrong with these books roll on the next instalment. Worth the money and DEFINITELY worth more than 5star's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I was always looking forward to Gabe's story as I loved his character in Ruin and Toxic did not disappoint. Again another emotional book that had me sobbing, such a tragic story handled in a beautiful way. I look forward to reading more books in this series, RVD never disappoints in delivering these amazing stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, heartbreaking, brilliant book, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is such an emotional book. Gabe goes through the ringer in this story. Truths are reviled that were a shocker and Gabe still try' s to protect those he loves.
There is so much more to Gabe then partying, girls and the badass he portrays. So many layers that it takes a "freshman" to get him to open up and play the music that he loves and uses for his therapy.
It was heard to read in some places because my heart broke for him and he made me fall in love with him all over again.

RVD really knows how to drew your emotions to the surface, it's written by a great author who captures your heart.

Shame is coming soon, which is Lisa's story and in this book it touches on some of her issues and I can't wait, since I know it will be great because I don't think RVD Will let her readers down. Read 'Ruin' first and then this book before you read 'Fearless' it's one of my favorite books to date.

Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2)
Toxic (The Ruin Series Book 2) by Rachel Van Dyken