5.0 out of 5 stars Victim No Longer., 23 Sep 2012
Mr. D. Lloyd "David Lloyd" (England) - See all my reviews
Yes, the title IS correct. I'm writing this as a victim of childhood sexual abuse that spent over 30 years in mental turmoil and silence. I was a 'victim' - not any more though.
Mike Lew's book deserves the accolade of being a 'classic', I have read no other book that deals with the subject of the sex abuse of males that is so comprehensive, so clear, and ultimately so helpful. It isn't going to cure your problems on it's own, Mike Lew would be first person to tell you that. A victim will almost always need to a lot of work in therapy and on their own. But, this book will be your companion when you do that work. A companion like no other. Mike Lew's work helps men go from victim to survivor, an important distinction.
Mike Lew doesn't pull punches, he doesn't sugar coat the many problems that men face when they make the decision to get help. What he does do though, is cover all the bases. He never talks down to the reader, never assumes that the reader will know certain things. He never judges the victim
My copy is now over 10 years old, nearly every page is covered in my notes and thoughts - revelations as I turned the pages. It's battered, stained with coffee and tears, and ALWAYS in the draw of my desk.
It doesn't matter if you are the victim, you are the professional who is helping or the family or friend of a victim; this is the book you want.

It's difficult to explain just how important this book was when it was first published in 1998, it was groundbreaking because male sexual abuse was still a taboo subject. It's not any more, and this book is still as relevant today as back then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, 9 Dec 2013
A really valuable resource for myself and a current client. I find the information easy to access and it has helped my client to make sense of his experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victims No Longer, 7 Oct 2011
Mike Lew's book gave me a interesting, sobering and invaluable insight and overview into the prevalence of sexual abuse of boys and men. I find myself newly dealing with the after effects of abuse in a loved one; the sad, lifelong legacy is a huge subject and Victims No Longer has given me a great starting point in my understanding of this tragic subject. I can thoroughly recommend the book as an introduction to those affected as a survivor or partner/friend.