I used to have the predecessor of this model, the NWZ-W273, which I loved but they were unreliable and after Amazon replaced 3 pairs under warranty, they eventually gave up and gave me a refund.
Published 9 months ago by A. Huggins

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware it may stop working after a few months ....
I bought mine from the Sony store, but as I see these advertised on Amazon and I am looking for a new MP3 player I thought I might publish my findings.

Loading the songs requires the Media Go app ... which works OK ... but after all of the tools we have a simple drag and drop as an external drive might have been nice.

The devices works OK, apart from...
Published 3 months ago by G. Worrall

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - and subtle but significant improvement over the previous model, 10 July 2014
A. Huggins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NWZ-W273S 4GB Waterproof All-in-One MP3 Player - White (Electronics)
I then bought this version which has some subtly but welcome improvements. The instructions are better, it supports itunes (although it also supports drag and drop - my preferred option) and the big difference is that they now come with 2 sets of rubber earplugs (in 3 or 4 different sizes): either set can be used for swimming, but one set is spefifically designed with a membrane to keep the water out of the player. This makes them a little quieter, so you just turn the volume up one click... This membrane makes a huge difference to the resilience of the unit when you use it. It is true that if you get an earfull of water, the sound will go, but now it is a lot easier to clear your ear and then the player works perfectly again, without having to tap the water out of the player.
They stay in place fine if you use your goggle straps to secure them.
I swim 40 lengths front crawl 3-5 times/week, moderate pace, push and tumble turns.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions .

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware it may stop working after a few months ...., 6 Jan. 2015
G. Worrall (Darlington) - See all my reviews

The devices works OK, apart from sometimes once a month say it would not power up and I thought this was due to no charge, but when I returned to the cradle it would show charge. I guess that is a pain having no idea of how much charge ... not sure I saw this on media go.

However for comfort and running I have to admit they were one of the best pair of headphones.

However, the device finally has given up and as Sony recommended I take my money rather than a replacement ... I figured this is not an isolated incident ...

My device was used ...3-4 times a week while running so not a heavy user, but was used in the rain / cold etc ...( Yes I do run in England)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 30 May 2014
Zach J (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This product is great and apart from the odd minor tweek here and there i cant fault it as a whole!

the setup/connection to pc/file transfer/charging is really easy, i think technophobes would even be at ease with it.

the usage: so far ive used it in the gym (resistance and cardio training), in the pool (breast stroke) and on 4k trail runs.

The headphones stay in place very well and are extreamly secure in all activities. I have noticed that if I do about one full length completly submerged in the pool, water tends to seep into the earcanal and obviosly affects sound however this is due to the fit of the earbuds not the player. The swimming earbuds do tend to reduce this however you sacrifice overall sound quality and volume. I haven't learnt how to dive with them in without them becoming waterlogged and disloged though but the product instructions do adv not to do this due to the pressure on the eardrum anyway.

No complaints with respect to the gym and running, and its great being able to move about with out a wire flapping or tugging and pulling or even headphones being ripped out or becoming dislodged at inconveinient moments.

The sound: From what ive read in the many reveiws on here, i was fearing the worst. i was expecting something like a cupped loudspeaker of an old mobile phone playing the dreaded tinny music of teenage years for the duration of my workout but then i thought, this is sony, it cant be that bad!

I like my music loud and i like it with alot of bass. Im not so keen on to much treble but i know it needs to be there to provide balance in the music i love. Im definatly not dissapointed with the sound production/quality of these, and the volume contrary to others opinions, is absolutely fine, especially whne it comes to drowning out the one direction playlist thats on in the gym. I think that the headphones give a decent balanced sound to most tracks.

Its got 13.5mm drivers and the speakers themselves are from the EX Series headphones which provide 20 – 20,000 Hz frequency again not too bad a product - certainly not the best sony have produced and sure they dont rival my skull candys heavy medal plugs but theyre adequate and do the job they were designed to do.

overall, a good product, that does what it says on the tin, looks good and is satisfing in the sound department.
recommended to all :) feel free to ask any questions

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on Sony for releasing this product, 5 Jan. 2015
This is a great product, but unfortunately it's a product sony have released without any testing it seems. The problems with the charger is well document online. I've had this product replaced once and 2nd time, I asked for a refund as it stopped charging altogether. Shame on you Sony.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not successful for me, 24 Mar. 2015
when these arrived I was so excited I just could not wait to use them. We charged them as directed.we found the instructions were not that helpful but we finally worked them out. I connected them to the computer and chose my music. everything seemed to be going well. Sadly when we removed the mp3 from the computer we found there was no power and no charge and in spite of repletion and the intervention of my son who is good with this type of thing they refused to work. We returned them to Amazon and our money was very quickly refunded. We obviously got a faulty pair which can happen but because of the poor instructions we decided against having them replaced

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money or time on this, 7 Jan. 2015
I was sent a replacement after the first I ordered didn't work. The second arrived and that also didn't work. Spent hours on the phone to Sony who were unable to help. Don't waste your money or time on this. Useless and shouldn't be sold.

4.0 out of 5 stars these are really excellent. As others have noted, 11 Feb. 2015
Once you get the fit right, these are really excellent. As others have noted, getting a decent fit is tricky, and I bought the triple flanged silicone buds before I could get them right. Once that's sorted though, they're really excellent and while others have complained that they're too quiet, that only happens when they get water in. Sound quality, volume and overall function is top notch. The software was a doddle to install and use so, overall I thoroughly recommend these to swimmers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too quiet for swimming, 30 Jan. 2015
Having been a swimmer (training) for 40yrs, the opportunity to have some music while I swam was overwhelming. Sony I thought, great brand that doesn't do things by half, or so I thought....

Easy to charge & set up, & clear & loud music... oh wait, you need to change the earbuds for swimming, no problem, or so I thought.

I researched all the options for this type of device for some time, saw plenty of youtube reviews of devices that have wires everywhere, so this device was a joy...

Sadly it does everything it claims, but unfortunately very quietly.... When swimming, I could barely hear the music despite having it turned up to full volume. All the points about water getting between the earbuds & your ear are true, & that situation makes it nearly silent...

I contacted Sony, who suggested a firmware update from V 1.0 to 1.1, I downloaded this & followed the instructions, but could not get the update software to work, despite several interventions from Sony UK..

If it were louder...... AWESOME, but its so quiet I have reluctantly had to send it back, I did want to try another, as a friends seems much louder, but the option was not there on the return system...

My device may have been faulty??? .......I guess my search goes on....

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes lap swimming fun!!, 7 July 2014
One of the main reasons that I've never done more swimming is because I soon get bored of swimming laps. I only really swim breaststroke and you have a lot of time just plodding up and down without much to occupy your mind. However when my boss signed me up for a 3k swim I agreed only on the basis that he bought me one of these so that I could train happily. I wasn't expecting anything fantastic, but the chance to try one our for 'free' was too good to pass up.

I put a lot of time into researching the different waterproof MP3 players available and it seems that most have differing reviews. I was heading towards the Finis (or whatever one it is that rests on the cheek bones) but was put off by comments that the sound changed depending on whether your head was underwater or not. I also discounted the waterproof iPod nanos as being too expensive.

In the end I decided to opt for the Sony on account of it being a decent brand and having largely decent reviews (although there doesn't seem to be a waterproof MP3 player out there without mixed reviews). I'm absolutely chuffed with how it works and how easy it is to operate, swimming is now an absolute joy instead of being tedious.

It does take a bit of getting used to and you may also need to play around with the sizes of ear plugs that come with it. I find it easiest using different sizes for each ear, it's unfortunately just a case of trial and error. It's also a bit better to put a bit of vaseline on each one before you put them in. As long as you've got the right size plugs the headphones stay in fine, at least they have for what I do. This includes going underwater for a bit, although I suspect that tumble turns might cause an issue (no doubt you could get round that if you where a swimming cap over them...but this would cover the controls).

Sound quality is okay but don't expect Sennheiser type bass or high volume. You can also occasionally get a bit of water in your ear which plays with the volume, not a great deal but makes it a bit quieter out of water. Again, I wasn't expecting them to be up to standard for a real audiophile (certainly not at £60) so wasn't disappointed by this and it's really not enough to bother me. Only worn them 4 or 5 times (about an hour each time) and quickly picked up how to skip track or get onto shuffle. There is a playlist mode but at the moment I've only got one playlist on it and can't completely work it out, just needs a bit more time for me to play with it.

Only really marked down due to volume being a bit quiet and also having to put up with all the weird looks that I get!

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not charge and computer does not like it. Within 6 hours of receiving it already ..., 26 Jan. 2015
Arrived today after spending xmas money on it. Was looking forwards to it as I swim regularly and wanted it for that. Open packaging, plug it in to the computer and computer told me the devise had malfunction! Will not charge and computer does not like it. Within 6 hours of receiving it already sending it back for a replacement. Hope I don't have the same issue a second time around!