I used to have the predecessor of this model, the NWZ-W273, which I loved but they were unreliable and after Amazon replaced 3 pairs under warranty, they eventually gave up and gave me a refund.
Published 12 months ago by A. Huggins

Published 1 month ago by Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - and subtle but significant improvement over the previous model, 10 July 2014
A. Huggins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NWZ-W273S 4GB Waterproof All-in-One MP3 Player - White (Electronics)
I then bought this version which has some subtly but welcome improvements. The instructions are better, it supports itunes (although it also supports drag and drop - my preferred option) and the big difference is that they now come with 2 sets of rubber earplugs (in 3 or 4 different sizes): either set can be used for swimming, but one set is spefifically designed with a membrane to keep the water out of the player. This makes them a little quieter, so you just turn the volume up one click... This membrane makes a huge difference to the resilience of the unit when you use it. It is true that if you get an earfull of water, the sound will go, but now it is a lot easier to clear your ear and then the player works perfectly again, without having to tap the water out of the player.
They stay in place fine if you use your goggle straps to secure them.
I swim 40 lengths front crawl 3-5 times/week, moderate pace, push and tumble turns.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 30 May 2014
Zach J (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This product is great and apart from the odd minor tweek here and there i cant fault it as a whole!

the setup/connection to pc/file transfer/charging is really easy, i think technophobes would even be at ease with it.

the usage: so far ive used it in the gym (resistance and cardio training), in the pool (breast stroke) and on 4k trail runs.

The headphones stay in place very well and are extreamly secure in all activities. I have noticed that if I do about one full length completly submerged in the pool, water tends to seep into the earcanal and obviosly affects sound however this is due to the fit of the earbuds not the player. The swimming earbuds do tend to reduce this however you sacrifice overall sound quality and volume. I haven't learnt how to dive with them in without them becoming waterlogged and disloged though but the product instructions do adv not to do this due to the pressure on the eardrum anyway.

No complaints with respect to the gym and running, and its great being able to move about with out a wire flapping or tugging and pulling or even headphones being ripped out or becoming dislodged at inconveinient moments.

The sound: From what ive read in the many reveiws on here, i was fearing the worst. i was expecting something like a cupped loudspeaker of an old mobile phone playing the dreaded tinny music of teenage years for the duration of my workout but then i thought, this is sony, it cant be that bad!

I like my music loud and i like it with alot of bass. Im not so keen on to much treble but i know it needs to be there to provide balance in the music i love. Im definatly not dissapointed with the sound production/quality of these, and the volume contrary to others opinions, is absolutely fine, especially whne it comes to drowning out the one direction playlist thats on in the gym. I think that the headphones give a decent balanced sound to most tracks.

Its got 13.5mm drivers and the speakers themselves are from the EX Series headphones which provide 20 – 20,000 Hz frequency again not too bad a product - certainly not the best sony have produced and sure they dont rival my skull candys heavy medal plugs but theyre adequate and do the job they were designed to do.

overall, a good product, that does what it says on the tin, looks good and is satisfing in the sound department.
recommended to all :) feel free to ask any questions

4.0 out of 5 stars very happy, 15 Aug. 2014
I was looking for a mp3 player for going to the gym and accidentally came across this all in one water proof mp3 player from Sony.

First of all, the sound quality is good. Not great but if you are in a gym or in a swimming pool there can be a lot of ambient noise that would prevent you from appreciating really high quality music quality.

Getting music on to the mp3 player is really easy. Just plug it into your computer and drag the songs you want into the music folder. If you use iTunes, you can drag and drop from that as well.

Before working out, going for a run or swimming, it’s important to make sure you are using the appropriate included ear buds that give a snug fit or the unit can fall out or let water into your ears. From a safety/convenience perspective, it is great not to have wires dangling from your ears while exercising. This all in one idea works really well in my opinion.

Using the mp3 player (by the way, can Sony come up with a better name than NWZ-W273S? How about Waterman or something?) is straightforward. I would have liked the ability to fast forward through songs but that hardly a show stopper. After a few minutes, changing the volume/songs is second nature.

Its only 4gb so if you have a large music collection you won’t be able to get it all on. However, it would be a nightmare to try a navigate through thousands of songs on a device like this (although you can have playlists).

Overall, I was torn between getting this or the iPod shuffle and I am very happy with my choice. The Sony is waterproof and there is less risk of loose wires getting tangled up or caught in anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes lap swimming fun!!, 7 July 2014
One of the main reasons that I've never done more swimming is because I soon get bored of swimming laps. I only really swim breaststroke and you have a lot of time just plodding up and down without much to occupy your mind. However when my boss signed me up for a 3k swim I agreed only on the basis that he bought me one of these so that I could train happily. I wasn't expecting anything fantastic, but the chance to try one our for 'free' was too good to pass up.

I put a lot of time into researching the different waterproof MP3 players available and it seems that most have differing reviews. I was heading towards the Finis (or whatever one it is that rests on the cheek bones) but was put off by comments that the sound changed depending on whether your head was underwater or not. I also discounted the waterproof iPod nanos as being too expensive.

In the end I decided to opt for the Sony on account of it being a decent brand and having largely decent reviews (although there doesn't seem to be a waterproof MP3 player out there without mixed reviews). I'm absolutely chuffed with how it works and how easy it is to operate, swimming is now an absolute joy instead of being tedious.

It does take a bit of getting used to and you may also need to play around with the sizes of ear plugs that come with it. I find it easiest using different sizes for each ear, it's unfortunately just a case of trial and error. It's also a bit better to put a bit of vaseline on each one before you put them in. As long as you've got the right size plugs the headphones stay in fine, at least they have for what I do. This includes going underwater for a bit, although I suspect that tumble turns might cause an issue (no doubt you could get round that if you where a swimming cap over them...but this would cover the controls).

Sound quality is okay but don't expect Sennheiser type bass or high volume. You can also occasionally get a bit of water in your ear which plays with the volume, not a great deal but makes it a bit quieter out of water. Again, I wasn't expecting them to be up to standard for a real audiophile (certainly not at £60) so wasn't disappointed by this and it's really not enough to bother me. Only worn them 4 or 5 times (about an hour each time) and quickly picked up how to skip track or get onto shuffle. There is a playlist mode but at the moment I've only got one playlist on it and can't completely work it out, just needs a bit more time for me to play with it.

Only really marked down due to volume being a bit quiet and also having to put up with all the weird looks that I get!

5.0 out of 5 stars I decided to bite the bullet and bought them and I highly recommend them. The sound quality is bloody amazing considering ..., 2 July 2015
I was not sure if I should buy these or not... it seemed to be quite a lot of money for something which logic tells me would not work too well. However, I decided to bite the bullet and bought them and I highly recommend them. The sound quality is bloody amazing considering that they are used under-water. You are not buying these for the best audiophile experience, you are buying them to listen to music, podcasts or audio books whilst plodding up and down in the pool, and for that purpose they are bang on. Can you buy a better sounding headphone for the money... absolutely. Can you buy a better sounding headphone for the money that works in a damm swimming pool.... no way!

I plod up and down in the pool for half an hour every day and these are just great. Easy to drag and drop my music onto it, and the sound is so clear that it is very easy to listen to podcasts and audiobooks. Not only that, but they totally shut off the ambient sounds in the pool. They work fine when swimming normally and even when swimming 2-3m underwater... bizarly they sound even better 2--3m down!

I highly recommend them. They have improved my swimming no end as I now stay in the pool longer and the music helps keep me motivated. Battery lasts for ages, they charge in no time and you do not even notice they are there. The only thing to remember is that in the box comes some normal ear socket bits, and some underwater ones.... make sure you put the underwater ones on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Purchase. I do a lot of long distance ..., 9 May 2015
Asa Cowell (Lilongwe, na, MW) - See all my reviews
Fantastic Purchase. I do a lot of long distance running (40+ km) and the headphones are comfortable. I was worried about them bouncing but this is not the case. The narrow band allow's for comfi wear of sunglasses (unlike some headphones that obstruct the sunglass arm). I was tired of wasting cash on sets of headphones that eventually got sweat damaged / stopped working (I've tried many pairs / brands) . The rubber band means you can fit them into a small pocket / pouch for when you need a break from your music. These are exceptional.

5.0 out of 5 stars This second pair have the proper swimming buds which do work better. The charge on these doesn't quite last 8 ..., 19 Jun. 2015
T. Newberry - See all my reviews
On my second pair of these now. First pair lasted nearly two years before battery went, but that was swimming 5 days a week for at least 45 mins each day. This second pair have the proper swimming buds which do work better. The charge on these doesn't quite last 8 hours for me, but not far from it. I do think for swimming you need to take into account the size of your ear canal as you need a tight fit for them to work well. The bass comes into its own when swimming too as it does sound a little tinny when not in water.

2.0 out of 5 stars It made swimming a lot more fun than the usual 45 mins of daily silence, 13 May 2015
So - whilst my device was working it worked well. Underwater sound was slightly quiet but what can you expect - water doesn't carry it as well. It made swimming a lot more fun than the usual 45 mins of daily silence. However - the left earbud broke within 3 weeks. This basically made the device so quiet it was unusable. I've returned that device and re-orded so will hopefully be able to update this with a better review a little later. I hope it was just a defective device and not a defective design!

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too quiet for swimming, 30 Jan. 2015
Having been a swimmer (training) for 40yrs, the opportunity to have some music while I swam was overwhelming. Sony I thought, great brand that doesn't do things by half, or so I thought....

Easy to charge & set up, & clear & loud music... oh wait, you need to change the earbuds for swimming, no problem, or so I thought.

I researched all the options for this type of device for some time, saw plenty of youtube reviews of devices that have wires everywhere, so this device was a joy...

Sadly it does everything it claims, but unfortunately very quietly.... When swimming, I could barely hear the music despite having it turned up to full volume. All the points about water getting between the earbuds & your ear are true, & that situation makes it nearly silent...

I contacted Sony, who suggested a firmware update from V 1.0 to 1.1, I downloaded this & followed the instructions, but could not get the update software to work, despite several interventions from Sony UK..

If it were louder...... AWESOME, but its so quiet I have reluctantly had to send it back, I did want to try another, as a friends seems much louder, but the option was not there on the return system...

My device may have been faulty??? .......I guess my search goes on....

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Training Tool - Made My Swimming Better and Easier, 10 Oct. 2014
Sony NWZ-W273S 4GB Waterproof All-in-One MP3 Player - Black

I have had this item one day and I can't believe now easy it made my swimming session been doing around 32 laps but today did 44 laps this morning.
The music quality is amazing for such a small unit and the water can hardly be heard I was just so much in the zone having the tinted googles on too.

LOVED IT.