I used to have the predecessor of this model, the NWZ-W273, which I loved but they were unreliable and after Amazon replaced 3 pairs under warranty, they eventually gave up and gave me a refund.
Published 7 months ago by A. Huggins

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too quiet for swimming
Having been a swimmer (training) for 40yrs, the opportunity to have some music while I swam was overwhelming. Sony I thought, great brand that doesn't do things by half, or so I thought....

Easy to charge & set up, & clear & loud music... oh wait, you need to change the earbuds for swimming, no problem, or so I thought.

I researched all the options...
Published 28 days ago by Adrian J Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - and subtle but significant improvement over the previous model, 10 July 2014
A. Huggins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NWZ-W273S 4GB Waterproof All-in-One MP3 Player - White (Electronics)
I then bought this version which has some subtly but welcome improvements. The instructions are better, it supports itunes (although it also supports drag and drop - my preferred option) and the big difference is that they now come with 2 sets of rubber earplugs (in 3 or 4 different sizes): either set can be used for swimming, but one set is spefifically designed with a membrane to keep the water out of the player. This makes them a little quieter, so you just turn the volume up one click... This membrane makes a huge difference to the resilience of the unit when you use it. It is true that if you get an earfull of water, the sound will go, but now it is a lot easier to clear your ear and then the player works perfectly again, without having to tap the water out of the player.
They stay in place fine if you use your goggle straps to secure them.
I swim 40 lengths front crawl 3-5 times/week, moderate pace, push and tumble turns.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but with some limitations and issues., 17 Feb. 2015
Ed.F "edz314" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
These work surprisingly well, good underwater performance and easy to charge/use. They fit well and have a simple adjustment for the band and multiple sizes of ear plugs. I've had them for over a month now and they are quite reliable and work well for a session in my local pool which charges easily lasting over an hour. They come with a specific holder/charger which tops them up in under and hour and a half. This charger is also the cable used to upload or manage the music on the headset. the 4GB capacity is good for several albums at high quality which is excellent for a session. Controls are a little fiddly but easy enough once you have it figured out.

If I have a concern it's the use of the supplied software from Sony which means I now have yet another music control/sales programme on my laptop (alongside ITunes, Play and Spotify) and it means I have to learn another UI to add music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 30 May 2014
Zach J (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This product is great and apart from the odd minor tweek here and there i cant fault it as a whole!

the setup/connection to pc/file transfer/charging is really easy, i think technophobes would even be at ease with it.

the usage: so far ive used it in the gym (resistance and cardio training), in the pool (breast stroke) and on 4k trail runs.

The headphones stay in place very well and are extreamly secure in all activities. I have noticed that if I do about one full length completly submerged in the pool, water tends to seep into the earcanal and obviosly affects sound however this is due to the fit of the earbuds not the player. The swimming earbuds do tend to reduce this however you sacrifice overall sound quality and volume. I haven't learnt how to dive with them in without them becoming waterlogged and disloged though but the product instructions do adv not to do this due to the pressure on the eardrum anyway.

No complaints with respect to the gym and running, and its great being able to move about with out a wire flapping or tugging and pulling or even headphones being ripped out or becoming dislodged at inconveinient moments.

The sound: From what ive read in the many reveiws on here, i was fearing the worst. i was expecting something like a cupped loudspeaker of an old mobile phone playing the dreaded tinny music of teenage years for the duration of my workout but then i thought, this is sony, it cant be that bad!

I like my music loud and i like it with alot of bass. Im not so keen on to much treble but i know it needs to be there to provide balance in the music i love. Im definatly not dissapointed with the sound production/quality of these, and the volume contrary to others opinions, is absolutely fine, especially whne it comes to drowning out the one direction playlist thats on in the gym. I think that the headphones give a decent balanced sound to most tracks.

Its got 13.5mm drivers and the speakers themselves are from the EX Series headphones which provide 20 – 20,000 Hz frequency again not too bad a product - certainly not the best sony have produced and sure they dont rival my skull candys heavy medal plugs but theyre adequate and do the job they were designed to do.

overall, a good product, that does what it says on the tin, looks good and is satisfing in the sound department.
recommended to all :) feel free to ask any questions

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gym Music Player, 25 Feb. 2015
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I love these headphones for one reason and one reason alone. They are brilliantly convenient when working out. Like most I used to use an MP3 player in a sleeve plus wired headphones and whilst clearly functional is a bit of a drag - sometimes literally - when using gym gear. When I found the original Sony versions of these I bought and used them until they carked it due to corrosion. They were not waterproof/sweatproof then. After that happened I bought the next generation version that was water resistant about four years ago and which is still working despite near daily use,. However, the headband has lost a bit of 'spring' allowing the right ear plug to slide out when trying hard and sweating. I can't complain. I have not looked after them very well and they are quite an age for modern electronic items.

So I have purchased this, the latest gen version which promises more of the same. Which it is.

Small, neat and comfortable to wear and hang in fine when doing vigorous exercise. Sound quality if I'm honest is not a major priority. If I want that I'll sit in front of a high end hifi. What I can say is that the quality is excellent and on a par with any other modern mp3 player at high bit rates. I defy most to actually tell the difference when jumping around in a noisy gym.

I use Windows Media player to sync music to this player as I rip everything into WMA Lossless. If you have a standard bit rate you could drag and drop if you want to transfer music. Personally, I find the Media Player sync so good nothing else compares. I don't use iTunes so cannot comment on that aspect.

What is much better than the previous gen player is the integrated holder and charging unit. The previous version had a simple thin clasp that gets lost immediately with a charging connection under a rubberised cover. Slightly awkward and of course a weak point in water. This player has brass connectors that are contacted by the holder/charger with no flimsy covers. The charger is also robust and solid so will help keep the player intact.

Downsides. The controls. The on/off button and the lock one feel cheap. Overall in immediate use all the controls do not come across as intuitive as the older version which in turn was not as good as the original. Odd, that.

The charging unit. Whilst I like it and it is better than the simple cable connector on the older unit, what it does mean is that if you lose the clasp/charger your unit is dead until you buy another one. Which might not be so easy or cheap to do.

Overall, I cannot think of any rival music player that is so ideally suited for exercising of any sort. Pure brilliance.

4.0 out of 5 stars these are really excellent. As others have noted, 11 Feb. 2015
Once you get the fit right, these are really excellent. As others have noted, getting a decent fit is tricky, and I bought the triple flanged silicone buds before I could get them right. Once that's sorted though, they're really excellent and while others have complained that they're too quiet, that only happens when they get water in. Sound quality, volume and overall function is top notch. The software was a doddle to install and use so, overall I thoroughly recommend these to swimmers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too quiet for swimming, 30 Jan. 2015

I researched all the options for this type of device for some time, saw plenty of youtube reviews of devices that have wires everywhere, so this device was a joy...

Sadly it does everything it claims, but unfortunately very quietly.... When swimming, I could barely hear the music despite having it turned up to full volume. All the points about water getting between the earbuds & your ear are true, & that situation makes it nearly silent...

I contacted Sony, who suggested a firmware update from V 1.0 to 1.1, I downloaded this & followed the instructions, but could not get the update software to work, despite several interventions from Sony UK..

If it were louder...... AWESOME, but its so quiet I have reluctantly had to send it back, I did want to try another, as a friends seems much louder, but the option was not there on the return system...

My device may have been faulty??? .......I guess my search goes on....

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes lap swimming fun!!, 7 July 2014
One of the main reasons that I've never done more swimming is because I soon get bored of swimming laps. I only really swim breaststroke and you have a lot of time just plodding up and down without much to occupy your mind. However when my boss signed me up for a 3k swim I agreed only on the basis that he bought me one of these so that I could train happily. I wasn't expecting anything fantastic, but the chance to try one our for 'free' was too good to pass up.

I put a lot of time into researching the different waterproof MP3 players available and it seems that most have differing reviews. I was heading towards the Finis (or whatever one it is that rests on the cheek bones) but was put off by comments that the sound changed depending on whether your head was underwater or not. I also discounted the waterproof iPod nanos as being too expensive.

In the end I decided to opt for the Sony on account of it being a decent brand and having largely decent reviews (although there doesn't seem to be a waterproof MP3 player out there without mixed reviews). I'm absolutely chuffed with how it works and how easy it is to operate, swimming is now an absolute joy instead of being tedious.

It does take a bit of getting used to and you may also need to play around with the sizes of ear plugs that come with it. I find it easiest using different sizes for each ear, it's unfortunately just a case of trial and error. It's also a bit better to put a bit of vaseline on each one before you put them in. As long as you've got the right size plugs the headphones stay in fine, at least they have for what I do. This includes going underwater for a bit, although I suspect that tumble turns might cause an issue (no doubt you could get round that if you where a swimming cap over them...but this would cover the controls).

Sound quality is okay but don't expect Sennheiser type bass or high volume. You can also occasionally get a bit of water in your ear which plays with the volume, not a great deal but makes it a bit quieter out of water. Again, I wasn't expecting them to be up to standard for a real audiophile (certainly not at £60) so wasn't disappointed by this and it's really not enough to bother me. Only worn them 4 or 5 times (about an hour each time) and quickly picked up how to skip track or get onto shuffle. There is a playlist mode but at the moment I've only got one playlist on it and can't completely work it out, just needs a bit more time for me to play with it.

Only really marked down due to volume being a bit quiet and also having to put up with all the weird looks that I get!

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware it may stop working after a few months ...., 6 Jan. 2015
G. Worrall (Darlington) - See all my reviews
I bought mine from the Sony store, but as I see these advertised on Amazon and I am looking for a new MP3 player I thought I might publish my findings.

Loading the songs requires the Media Go app ... which works OK ... but after all of the tools we have a simple drag and drop as an external drive might have been nice.

The devices works OK, apart from sometimes once a month say it would not power up and I thought this was due to no charge, but when I returned to the cradle it would show charge. I guess that is a pain having no idea of how much charge ... not sure I saw this on media go.

However for comfort and running I have to admit they were one of the best pair of headphones.

However, the device finally has given up and as Sony recommended I take my money rather than a replacement ... I figured this is not an isolated incident ...

My device was used ...3-4 times a week while running so not a heavy user, but was used in the rain / cold etc ...( Yes I do run in England)

4.0 out of 5 stars very happy, 15 Aug. 2014
I was looking for a mp3 player for going to the gym and accidentally came across this all in one water proof mp3 player from Sony.

First of all, the sound quality is good. Not great but if you are in a gym or in a swimming pool there can be a lot of ambient noise that would prevent you from appreciating really high quality music quality.

Getting music on to the mp3 player is really easy. Just plug it into your computer and drag the songs you want into the music folder. If you use iTunes, you can drag and drop from that as well.

Before working out, going for a run or swimming, it’s important to make sure you are using the appropriate included ear buds that give a snug fit or the unit can fall out or let water into your ears. From a safety/convenience perspective, it is great not to have wires dangling from your ears while exercising. This all in one idea works really well in my opinion.

Using the mp3 player (by the way, can Sony come up with a better name than NWZ-W273S? How about Waterman or something?) is straightforward. I would have liked the ability to fast forward through songs but that hardly a show stopper. After a few minutes, changing the volume/songs is second nature.

Its only 4gb so if you have a large music collection you won’t be able to get it all on. However, it would be a nightmare to try a navigate through thousands of songs on a device like this (although you can have playlists).

Overall, I was torn between getting this or the iPod shuffle and I am very happy with my choice. The Sony is waterproof and there is less risk of loose wires getting tangled up or caught in anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this mp3, 9 Feb. 2015
Declan Mckerr - See all my reviews
I like this mp3, however, the volume has since went very quiet. There is barely any noise coming from the phones and I don't know what the issue is. It was fine then after putting some tunes onto it... dull. My friend said the same thing has happened to his same mp3. Sort it out Sony. When buying make sure you keep your warranty. I didn't.