5.0 out of 5 stars One Happy Doctor Who follower
Published 9 months ago by Nigel

3.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing realese no extras at all
Published 8 months ago by Mr. R. G. Prizeman

5.0 out of 5 stars One Happy Doctor Who follower, 12 Oct 2013
I am over the moon and far away right now..... I drove home on Friday morning from Swindon to Nottingham on the first cold and windy night after summers end my mind set on another start to a long winter about to begin! Listening to BBC Radio 2 it's about 06:00 and i'm feeling sorry for myself 'cause I'm coming down with some sort of virus, the news bellows out and I turn the radio down a little! Then I hear 'Doctor Who' 'missing episodes' '11 recovered' '9 missing for 45 years'. Ears pricked up along with the sound!
Listen, I'm 50 years old.... I work on the Railway, mostly outside on construction at night! Nothing really surprises me anymore!
OH MY WORD I was so excited I had to pull into the services. My mind began to race I had to get off the M5 fast and take in what I was hearing! I pulled myself together with a large cup of sweet tea, a bagel ( with Philadelphia ) and some porridge oats! At this point I was still taking it in! 'The Web of Fear' FOUND!!!! 'The Enemy of the World' FOUND!!!!! One discovery is something but two? Who is this 'Philip Morris' ? who does he think he is turning my life on it's head with new found hope? 97 to go kid!!!!
I got home at 08:50 and by 09:00 I was watching 'The Enemy of the World' then, The Web of Fear! Guy's I am in 7th heaven! The cool thing is; I work in tunnels on the railway and it was amazing watching 'Web of Fear' taking place in the London Underground! The atmosphere and the claustrophobic setting was perfect and far better than I imagined it was going to be! The acting in both stories was above average and 'Web' brilliant in Black and White.
I woke up on Saturday morning after no sleep the previous day 'cause of night working feeling pretty good I am now putting these stories on my wish list and as soon as they are released in November, Bang!!! They will be red hot on my DVD player too!
No sign of the virus I seemed to be sickening up for, no doubt cured by a certain Doctor perhaps?
Those 97 are out there! They are out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Cut?, 5 Dec 2013
Perkins "...the Uncanny" (Birmingham, West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
Five stars are for the story itself as this is a real bare bones release with no extras.
I hope BBC Enterprises aren't going to be releasing a special edition in three months time and become the Enemy of my Wallet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who Vs Salamander, 13 Oct 2013
Timelord007 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
WARNING REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Positive.
1)Patrick Troughton dominates this story from start to finish playing dual roles as the Doctor & it's villian Ramon Salamander.
2)There are no recurring monsters or Aliens involved in this story which is superbly written by David Whittaker, A brilliant character driven piece or writing with a intriguing adventure.
3)Directed by former Third Doctor Producer The Late Barry Letts.

Negative.
1)This is a 6 part adventure lost for over 46 years, Shame on ypu BBC.
2)Jamie & Victoria are given little to do in this adventure not even appearing in episode 4(They were both on holiday).
3)Still 97 episodes are missing from the BBC archive's.

Review.
Friday 11th October Midnight; The inner Whovian within me leapt up for joy at the News that 9 episodes were confirmed as recovered as to lost second Doctor adventures Enemy Of The World & The Web Of Fear.

Although I'd heard rumours that these two storys had been found on different forum sites all day i was still not 100% sure this was actually true.

So until now Episodes 12456 of this episode were missing believed lost forever.
The BBC did retained episode 3 of this story as with the other recovery of episodes The Web Of Fears episodes 2456, BBC retains episode 1 but episode 3 is still missing.

This wasn't deemed great on it's original broadcast due to its no bug eyed monsters or interplanetary Alien attacks as instead this story substitutes Alien invasion for great written character drama.

Patrick Troughton dominates this adventure playing the cosmic playful Doctor & then switching to portray the viciously evil power mad dictator Ramon Salamander in what is a great performance by Troughton in both roles.

Salamander is hailed as the Shopkeeper of the world who's seen as a king to his people due to his policy of relieving the word of famine, But there is more going on that meets the eye here & why is it Salamanders rivals are starting to going missing?, How does he seem to keep predicting events of the future? What exactly is the Scheming tyrant up to?.

So it's up to the Doctor & his companions Jamie & Victoria to put a stop to Salamanders cunning schemes once & for all.

Troughton's dual acting role impresses throughout as he portrays light & shade in his acting with the two different character's as The Doctor he just wants to go for a swim & build sandcastles on the beach, You can see Matt Smith channelled Troughton's Doctor into his 11th incarnation & as Salamander Troughton plays a brutal scheming tyrant who's quest for interplanetary dominance is overpowering.

Not once do you ever get these 2 characters mixed up as Troughton gives both parts a different flavour of personality.

This Doctor Who adventure contains conspiracies, Murder & Back stabbing in this classic adventure.

As a 38 year old Whovian & being a fan since i was 4 to have not one but two classic Patrick Troughton storys who has half of his storys still missing from the BBC archives finally returned is like a lotto win for us Doctor Who fan's.

Role on the dvd releases of both storys.

Dvd Extras.

Running time 140 minutes, Region 2, Digitally Remastered picture & sound, Reversible sleeve.

Languages: English.

Subtitles: English.

It's English audio captioned.

The only extra is a trailer for Doctor Who: The Web of Fear.

The DVD has a reversible sleeve. One side has a new style cover, The other in the style of all previous releases for those who want their dvd collection to match.

There are no extras on this dvd which is disappointing & I'd prefered a longer wait for a 2 disc extra laden release than this poor vanilla effort as there is surely plenty to discuss about these recent discoveries.

Timelord Rating.
8/10

4.0 out of 5 stars "A Touch of 007", 30 Dec 2013
Naturally this is a review that I never expected to be writing but I'm very delighted to get the chance. The biggest shame about this story's rediscovery is that its director Barry Letts died 5 years too early to see that his memory cheated and it's much better than he remembered.
Who does a spy thriller as the Doctor's close resemblance to a world leader/dictator Salamander enables the group against him to use the Doctor to get the goods on him. The Dr is sent to impersonate him with Jamie and Victoria infiltrating Salamander's organisation at much lower levels.
Salamander is very like a Bond villain what with his plans to rule the world and the story is not unlike the old ITC adventures series such as The Saint and The Champions.
At its best Letts and his team make it look more expensive than it really was, note the clever blending of helicopter stock footage in ep 1. Good sets and generally high production values, especially noteworthy is the Gerry Anderson style transport tube that takes Salamander into an underground bunker (where the inhabitants are dressed in 60's fab gear).
The minor downside is some unsuccessful back projection.
It's well cast with a number of familiar faces. Who rep actors Christopher Burgess and Milton Johns, (Johns is wonderful as the psychotic Benik)plus Colin Howard (see again in Horror of Fang Rock)& George Pravda of Deadly Assassin.
familiar to Tony Hancock fans is Hancock's intellectually challenged friend from his radio days Bill Kerr. Here Kerr is great playing a less charicatured character.
Mary Peach could have been an Avengers girl if her peformance as Astrid is anything to go by.
One of those great performances that never seems to get noticed is Carmen Munro as Fariah who puts more into the character than was in the script.
Jamie and Victoria get a good slice of the action too watch Frazer Hines pouring contempt in his taunt to Benik "I bet you were a nasty wee boy". Deborah Watling considerably lifts a padding scene as she discusses menus in a kitchen.
The man of the match is of course Patrick Troughton and he doesn't dissappoint. here he doesn't get to do the dark Doctor probably to help distinguish him from Salamander but instead his Doctor is the clear moral voice, vey much against murdering Salamander even if he is as bad as people say. I have a feeling if this story were to be done now there would be one of those frequent "looking at you is like looking in a mirror Doctor" lines.
For Salamander Trougthon does a light Mexican accent. yes perhaps it's not the best accent you ever heard but what makes it such a good choice is that he can still act with it and makes Salamander loathesome. Also it pays dividends in a marvellous scene where he plays the Doctor practicing Salamander's accent. Troughton sells us on the idea that the Doctor could master the accent so quickly.
The script by the Police Box Show's faithfull 60's retainer David Whittaker (*1) is a good one. It only drags a little in episode 3 which has padding and on the whole is full of good characters, humour and action.

The picture restoration is some of the best I've seen.

Sadly it's a vanilla release, an attempt to mount a commentary was abandoned. the only extra treat is a nicely done trailer for Web of Fear.

I join with others in hoping there will be no special edition any time soon but for all that I recommend this for everyone.

(*1) whittaker did plan to return to Who novelisations completing a few pages of Power of the Daleks and peroducing a revised storyline for Enemy which would have ened with Salamander being left to the mercy of the people.
His untimely death prevented the completion of either one.

5.0 out of 5 stars No longer lost in time, 5 Dec 2013
Mr. R. W. Graham (Lincoln, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The rumours about missing Doctor Who episodes being found had been circulating the internet for months and at last after months of rumour, the remaining 5 episodes of Enemy of The World and 4 episodes of The Web Of Fear were revealed to the public in a fantastic early 50th anniversary present for the fans. The story itself sees The Doctor, Jamie and Victoria land on a beach in Australia in the early 21st century and are shot at by people mistaking The Doctor for Salamander, a ruthless dictator who is causing earthquakes and other natural disasters and wants to rule the world. Rescued by a local resistance group, The Doctor is persuaded by the rebels to impersonate Salamander. Despite a dodgy Mexican accent, Patrick Troughton is very menacing as The Doctor's evil double and of course is great as The Doctor himself. I remember reading a target novelization and telesnaps of this story but up till now only episode 3 of this story had been avaliable on the Lost In Time 3 disc set. Some superb restoration work and this is one of Troughton's best stories with the regular cast and guest cast on great form with the story coming across like a futuristic spy thriller. No extras on this release which makes me wonder if the bbc are holding out for a special edition later but otherwise this is excellent and a must see for fans. Here's hoping for more found missing episodes to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing realese no extras at all, 25 Nov 2013
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
OK I know how fantastic that any classic story is discovered and I was so excited when the DVD arrived this morning, then my excitement dropped no extras at all. The Enemy of the world, sticks out like a sore thumb with the rest of season five, which was known as the monster season, but it kept the promises to Patrick Troughton that he would get a chance to stretch himself as an actor, although for me not my favourite story it shows what a good actor he was.
I know many have given this 5 stars saying how great this was but this could have been so great, lets face it no Commentary when Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling have had so few stories to do. The importance of going from 405 line to 625 line for the preparation of colour, this such a lost chance to have such great extras.
Now OK this has been rushed out so we get no extras at all (bar a coming soon trailer),but to have no production notes, as well, and nothing extra. This should have been a celebration as well as being the 50th year of the show. Think of all the great release we have had, and with the discovery of such an important find you would have hoped we would get more. we could have waited a bit as it was available for download so some thing could be added.
The problem I have is I just know give it a year and we will get a special edition with extras just like all the other releases. No Doctor who DVD except the very first had no extras...oh it had subtitles!!.
please don't get me wrong, I love Dr who and the finding of any story is just "Fantastic",I just do not like being ripped off, as Dr Who fans. This is almost like the old double VHS issues back in the 80's. Yes it is my choice to buy it but, as BBC worldwide know we fans are an obsessive lot and like our collections complete. So This is a very poor show infact lazy for such an important discovery.
According to Worldwide it took on average two years to prepare the extras for the classic series, and this is obviously a rushed release, and yes as it has not been on TV since its original broadcast, I can understand the rush, however this is the 50th year, and a celebration of the complete series so to have nothing is, well pretty poor.
Please note I am not giving this 5 stars because the complete package is not up to the high standard of other DVD's and is not perfect at all and I want everyone to know what they are buying, and i am amazed people are defending the fact that it has no extras, are you nuts!

5.0 out of 5 stars An underrated story, 9 Dec 2013
D. R. Byers (Australia) - See all my reviews
Having watched both The Enemy of the World and Web of Fear on download, and now having seen the DVD of Enemy of the World, I can honestly say The Enemy of the World is not only underrated but a classic Doctor Who story. Patrick Troughton's acting shines through as he plays two roles with ease. The story line is strong and keeps one hooked. Much better than Web of Fear, which I think is overrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm no Enemy of this one, 30 Nov 2013
Well worth all the fuss, and it whets your appetite for what else might be out there in the way of lost episodes (shame the "megarumour" turned out not to be true, correct me if I'm wrong). This is a gritty and tightly-plotted political thriller which doesn't suffer from the absence of monsters and indeed benefits from it in a way. I'm surprised at how adult it is; the level of violence (and in particular blood) is quite shocking. However I don't think anyone complained about this at the time, and I'm certainly not bothered about it now. Would be interesting though to know exactly how Salamander and his associates caused the "natural" disasters. Troughton playing both Salamander and the Doctor is reminiscent of Hartnell and the Dr/Abbot of Amboise in The Massacre, i.e. similarly well done, apart from the accent slipping at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 29 Nov 2013
Picture quality is great, the story way better than I'd expected (I've not read the book or heard the sountrack), Pat Troughton is awesome in the dual roles, love the design of the show...THANKYOU Mr Morris!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I'd hoped it was!, 28 Nov 2013
Troughton's Doctor, Jamie and Victoria are my favourite trio and I had always loved the surviving episode of this story, as well as really enjoyed the audio soundtrack on CD, so I was looking forward to buying the DVD, albeit with a bit of fear that it would not live up to my expectations - but it did!

It still feels like I am in an alternate universe, when I can look at my Doctor Who DVDs and see "Enemy of The World" there amongst them!

The story was grand in scope, but at the same time the characters were sufficiently limited in number to be manageable, and I never got confused over who was who. Troughton is superb both as the Doctor and as Salamander (and also as Salamander playing the scavenger), essentially 3 performances from him here. The story is 6 episodes long but did not drag at all, and quite flew by. The additional scene and characters associated with the secret weapon add a boost to the story, and ensure that new elements join the old ones in keeping it going along at a good speed.

Excellent story, excellent cast, and excellent performances!

The Enemy of the World Part 3