on 17 April 2014
Although you can't fault the music and those fine, fine southern horns if you have, as I have, all ready bought ACE/Kent two CD retrospective of Clarence Carter Fame 45s and the Ace/Kent reissue of Jimmy Hughes early Fame releases you have well over half the track listed all ready. You are still left with some gems such as Arthur Conley's 'In the Same Old Way' and 'I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind' from Art Freeman but of course not all the other cuts are that good and those such the offerings by Spooner Oldham and Terry Woodford have not fared very well in the intervening years. Its a bit of a dilemma when a company over milks the milch cow as to how to rate a release. As I have all ready bought the three CDs by Hughes and Carter and money is always finite my feeling is that for me this is an OK release.
on 29 May 2014
This is a big disappointment for three reasons. "You might as well forget him/Everbody let's dance" By Jimmy Hughes distributed by Vee Jay (Fame 1002) has been omitted.When I emailed ace about this omission they did not respond. Point 2:- Art Freeman "Piece Of My Heart" (which is why I bought this CD) is not the single version (which I have on Fame) but a completely different take with shrill girls spoiling the effect of the Fame band. Point 3:- yet again the wrong track for "Thread the Needle" has been chosen (as it was on Clarence Carters Fame Singles) If you are going to title a CD "The Complete Fame Singles* then make sure it is!! It's called mis-representation otherwise ! Ace need to make sure that they are releasing the correct tapes. For sixties soul fans these errors matter.
on 3 April 2014
If you like southern soul this is a great 1st part to The Fame Story a generous 52 Tracker at a low price. The First 26 singles and B sides. The artists include Dan Penn, Arthur Conley,Jimmy Hughes and Clarence Carter and many more. A brilliant cd.
on 15 May 2015
This is a very great compilation of Fame records' singles which features a lot of southern soul gems. Bust buy.