Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Carte Noir Espresso No 9 capsules are compatible with most Nespresso machines but we don't have one so this short review is based purely on the taste - and the price.

It's expensive at £4.50 per 100g (as of August 2014) - we usually buy ground coffee at Aldi which costs 99p per 100g. So there's a big difference in cost. It has to be said however that Aldi's coffee, while okay and a regular purchase in our household, is nowhere near as nice to drink as Carte Noir.

In fact, this is the best tasting coffee we've yet tried at home. It's strong yet smooth - it's not always easy to find both - and when the maker calls it 'rich and intense', that's not an inaccurate description.

It's difficult to ignore the price tag, but if you want a really delicious coffee this is absolutely worth a try.
VINE VOICEon 21 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
These capsules contain what is quite possibly the finest strong espresso I have had from my Nespresso machine. All capsules worked perfectly and 2 of them used in a cappuccino led to coffee heaven, rivalling anything you'd get on the high street. It's a shame there isn't a lungo equivalent, yet.

Packaging is a little excessive, to put it mildly, but when the coffee is this good, I'm prepared to forgive this point!

Update: Following my 5 star review, I bought some more capsules in May 2015. What a disappointment. The packaging has changed, and the coffee is now very weak. 2 shots lose all their flavour in a modest amount of milk. These are therefore far too weak to be considered a Strength 9--the old Strength 6 capsules are stronger. I therefore cannot recommend this product as it is no longer as described.
on 14 March 2015
Like many others I wanted to try an alternative to Nespresso capsules so ordered this assorted (4 different strengths) pack of Carte Noire.
There's more packaging to deal with - I suppose the Carte Noire makers believe they can guarantee freshness with each capsule being foil wrapped but it's another wrapper to dispose of. I put these into my recycling box in the hope the material can be reused.
Overall, I think the quality is ok and the taste is better than just acceptable. However, the Nespresso varieties for me definitely taste better.
No complaints about value for money for Carte Noire but if you buy a larger pack of Nespresso capsules the unit price is lower.
4 out of 5 stars from me then for taste and extra packaging.
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These pods make a really nice strong, but not bitter or overpowering, cup of coffee. Plenty of flavour and full bodied. Great for a morning or post dinner meal cuppa. Though not an official nexpresso pod they work perfectly in my nexpresso machine, and are a fair bit cheaper. Highly recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are offered as an alternative to genuine Nespresso pods so it is only fair that they are compared to them. I used a Magimix Pixie machine.
As far as the coffee goes it was very smooth and mild with no hint of bitterness but lacked the coffee punch of a Nespresso pod.
The pods do not match up to the originals though. I found my machine sometimes sounded strange when using this pod
I also found a lot of coffee in the drip tray indicating an unsatisfactory seal. In addition you also have to separate them for recycling.

Having had these for a while I have to add that three pods have failed to pierce and produced no coffee. That has never happened in hundreds of Nespresso pods.
VINE VOICEon 25 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love my coffee. When I am not using my nespresso machine (a CitiZ Magimix M190) my favourite instant coffee is Carte Noire. So i was intrigued about how this would taste bring my two favourite coffee brands together. I was also a bit apprehensive as i have tried 'nespresso compatible' pods before - which were a total fail.

But no fears on either count. The pods were perfect - each individual pod is sealed. When you open it, you get a fantastic smell. The pod fitted perfectly, and no additional pressure was needed to lock into place.

The coffee itself - very nice. I was say it was similar to Roma - with a bit of Indriya. If you like these two, I am sure you will be happy.

Overall, delighted. I will definitely get these again. Not sure i would go with anything weaker, but thats just my taste.
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These fit my Dualit Nespresso machine perfectly. To pierce the capsule requires a fairly substantial (and satisfying) pull down, but nothing too strenuous. To my taste, the Cafe Noire varieties on offer here lack a bit of punch but on the whole are a rounded and flavourful coffee. 3 is perfect for afternoons or after dinner when you want something laid back; 5 and 7 to my taste are fairly close taste-wise; 9 gets you to a solid brew, which at a lower water volume creates a fairly sharp and strong taste, which is how I like my coffee.

All in all, a very nice selection for a variety of coffee-drinking circumstances.
VINE VOICEon 18 July 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've reviewed other Carte Noire capsules before and rated them all highly. But these are by far my favourites. I think they are the strongest in the range and, as expected, deliver a really intense "hit" first thing in the morning. I drink my coffee black and find that some strong coffees can also come with a bit of a bitter taste. These Carte Noire No.9s though don't. Just a strong full bodied lovely flavoured, espresso coffee. As I've commented before, the capsules themselves work perfectly in my Nespresso machine and due to their lower price work out at much better value than Nespresso's own branded capsules.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like a good strong coffee first thing in the morning to start ther day. These capsules worked OK but the resultant brew was a bit mild for my taste, bettre suited for lunchtime.

The price is good so I will try some number 7 or 9
VINE VOICEon 17 July 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Carte Noir is usually excellent and this is no exception. Slotted happily into both my Krups and Bosch machines (2 and 5 years old) and not a single jam or problem.

Construction, like other 'generic' pods is plastic with a foil top.

#7 is excellent as a strong Espresso, not so much as a double. When making a quick capp or Latte using half/full cup of hot milk, gives a good creme and taste.

Tricky for those that choose to recycle their pods, the foil does not come away as easily as, say, supermarket brands but this is not the problem of the product.

Would buy again.