on 30 May 2013
I am an overweight motorcyclist and was needing a substantial pair of braces to keep my motorbike leather trousers up onto my waist. I am a 44" waist and widest above the hips due to my belly. My leather trousers don't have belt loops and they expand after a while due to body heat, then to slip down due to their weight. These braces have more than adequate strength in the elastic to support the weight of my trousers and not uncomfortable due to the width of the straps. The only downside of these braces in view is the all metal claw teeth on the clamps which bite into the leather rather severely. If a nylon or plastic slip on guard had been provided they would have been more suitable for my purpose. To overcome this I have covered the teeth with strips of duct tape to protect the surface of the leather as they would soon have damaged the leather surface. ( A tip if biker's are considering buying these braces )
44 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2013
This is the first time I have bought any braces. They are comfortable and can be worn all day. The clasps are strong and don't pop off. Straps are easy to adjust and the elastic stretches enough but not too much. Would recommend them. Good customer service too.
on 21 May 2013
Ive bought several pairs
of brace

I've bought severa lpairs of braces recently but these are the best, with strong clips which work well!

s
on 28 May 2013
Well made comfortable strong , and most of all , reliable. The clips are great, they hold your trousers without slipping off
on 10 March 2014
Have bought three pair now and so obviously I like the product. Comfortable and do what the advert says.
They also look good. For now.
Here's the problem and the reason for only 3 stars where I'd like to give five.
Have only had these for a very short time. I think it might be the nature of the material they are made from, but they fray, if that's the correct word. The stitching on the suspenders and not even in an area of wear or rubbing, seem to be coming out, looks like loose threads but in fact is just the material slipping out of it's place. And no way to put it back. Ar first I thought it was just the black pair I bought but no. It's also starting to happen on the blue ones I bought. When I say recent btw, I mean only a matter of a couple of months. They shouldn't start to look frayed this soon surely. It might be the stitches in the back that holds the loops coming out. Who knows? I sure don't. But it's kept me from buying yet more, cos now I haven't a clue how long or how many of the stitches will hold.
on 8 June 2013
My very hard to please and overweight husband thinks these are great, especially clips that do not loosen and 'pop' off. These look as if they'll last a fair time. Many thanks..
on 17 May 2013
Excellent product for under £10. Just what I wanted. The are strong wide and comfortable. Perfect for work but also have a ribbed surface which is actually quite dressy, if you wanted them to be.
on 13 February 2014
These braces fell apart on the first time of wearing. Do not buy these braces the clips seem strong, but they must have sprung apart and one of the pieces has now gone missing..
on 23 January 2014
These braces are definitely 'heavy duty' and their construction appears sturdy and well-made. The clips are much, much large than I expected them to be - the main front part of the clip is about an inch square and I can't imagine they'd ever accidentally detach from the trouser. There's a shallow engraving on the front of the clip of some sort of an eagle emblem - it doesn't show to other people really. The teeth of the clip could conceivably damage thinner fabrics though. I'm pleased I went for these X shape  ones rather than the equivalent Y shaped ones - it feels strong and safe with four points of contact.

The straps are much wider than I expected too - about an inch and a half wide I'd say - in an elasticated fabric that has a pleasant ridged feel to it. They aren't something you could ignore, and I felt more comfortable wearing them under a jacket to be honest than having them on display - but that's probably just a confidence issue. And confidence is something these definitely give you - confidence that the clips will hold, that the straps won't slide off your shoulder, and best of all - as the unfortunate owner of a bit of a belly that always hangs over a belt - confidence that you can look and feel good wearing them. My kids said I looked like an old man, and there is indeed a bit of a retro feel to wearing braces, but they definitely produce a better appearance than a belt overall. I thoroughly recommend braces in general (especially for men on the larger side), and these brilliant heavy-duty ones in particular!
on 27 February 2015
These are my first crack at braces; so I can only use comparisons to a belt and observations of their conduct. I knew anything elasticated could be dangerous, if they unclip or a similar event allows them to unleash their power, the eyes and head are the target,and it hurts. The chrome clips are reliable, as are the braces as a whole, The clasps seem a little bulky( they can gouge a bit when sitting) I think this could be part of the heavy duty build. They have alleviated a lot of pain from my hips which it why I tried them in the first place. However the upward thrust to my crotch and the resultant chafing were an initial drawback. I now carry an amount of change about in both pockets(for balance). There are perfectly good adjustable buckles for the length but once you have other garments on(its winter at the moment) more change is the answer. I have to warn that if this method of ballast has to be avoided by the more active wearer as a yo yo effect can be quit painful.