5.0 out of 5 stars The seductive, dark sound of Chino Moreno, 15 Feb 2014
Carsten Doig (Hamilton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: +++ (Crosses) (Audio CD)
I was led to this band on account of being a big fan of Deftones and vocalist Chino Moreno. You might think that after two other side projects (Team Sleep and Palms) that Chino had nothing new to offer but he is a man who clearly chooses his collaborations carefully, thinking of a new sound that will be different to anything he has done before. He has described the sound himself as Sade meets Depeche Mode.

Chino's vocals are the highlight and very recognisable but there is very little of the angst and screams that you may associate with Deftones and instead Chino's vocals are sexy and seductive. There are no crunching guitars either and instead some dark synth sounds, beats and guitar effects (courtesy of the other members Chuck Doom and Shaun Lopez).

Many of the lyrics are clearly about discovering the love of his life and the cautious steps that a couple might be making towards each other and dare I say it, is romantic. It's therefore a wonderful album to play late at night with the lights low or driving through the city with that special person in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album blending rock with texture-heavy electronica., 21 Feb 2014
N Snow "Nick Snow" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: +++ (Crosses) (Audio CD)
I expect that most people who stumble upon this album already know who Chino Moreno is, therefore I will avoid writing at length about the Deftones singer or the way that this side project is another example of the depth of his ability. Instead, I would just like to point out that this is a fantastic album, brimming with quality and resonating on a level that is both dark and melancholic as well as energetic and lively. The tone of the album is clearly morose (as you can tell from the artwork), but the production and the lyrics meander between gloomy and jubilant with a necessary ease. The result? 15 songs with a huge range of sounds including some of the most catchy vocals of Chino's career and plenty of quality for people with both rock and electronic biases.

Some fans might have been disappointed to find that 10 of the 15 tracks were ones that had already been released on the band's first 2 EPs. However, I was excited to see the result of throwing all of these tracks, as well as a few new ones, onto a single album. The result is a full-length debut to be proud of, with high points from both the band's back catalogue (Telepathy, Frontiers, Prurient) and a few new favourites (Bitches Brew, The Epilogue, Blk Station). Chino's lyrics sound clearer and better tuned than ever, accompanying a selection of expertly produced tracks that range from ambient trip-hop to upbeat dance music. 'Telepathy', for me, is a massive highlight; an upbeat dance track with a dark pulse and catchy lyrics. 'Prurient' is another highlight, soft and delicate, yet with a strong energy during the chorus. 'The Epilogue' and 'Blk Station' are two of the more poppy and upbeat rock tracks, both excellent while tracks like 'Trophy' offer mellow respite amidst the rest. My overall favourite track is still 'Frontiers' and my one criticism of the album is that this really should have been the opening track! It builds gently and echoes around in the low keys for the start and the first verse before exploding into life and delivering a powerful chorus, complimented perfectly by lyric and sound.

15 is a lot of tracks and there are a few that I was not so keen on, but this is not enough to dissuade me of my high opinion for this album. 'This Is a Trick' and 'Death Bell' are two such track, unfortunately marking the start and the end of the CD; fortunately the majority of the songs making up the bulk of the album are truly excellent. In conclusion, I expect that I will be looking back on this album in 11 months time as one of the best of 2014 and, yes, one of Chino's best so far too. It is a big improvement from the Team Sleep project and a lot more accessible and enjoyable than the Palms LP. If anyone wants to preview before they buy, I recommend going onto Youtube and listening to 'The Epilogue', 'Frontiers' and 'Telepathy'. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a punt, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Crosses (+++) (MP3 Download)
Didn't expect to like it much as I'm not a Depeche mode fan and Chino said that they were a major influence. But I took a punt anyway and glad I did, it's fantastic. A real grower.

5.0 out of 5 stars +++ !!!, 31 Mar 2014
M. Dabrowski (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: +++ (Crosses) (Audio CD)
Another of Chino Moreno's projects! This prolific artists engages in yet another 'indie' project to expand his potential beyond the confines of Deftones and Team Sleep.

It is indie, definitely NOT like Deftones or Palms or Team Sleep, yet I liked it - but I am a bit biased, as I do like Chio's vocal style. There are mixed reviews of this album out there but I would recommend to give it a proper listen before condemning it (unjustly!) as some people did

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album., 7 May 2014
This review is from: +++ (Crosses) (Audio CD)
I'm a Deftones fan and this is a pleasant break from the norm for Chino. Can't stop playing it since it arrived in the post:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this and play loud, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Crosses (+++) (MP3 Download)
Absolutely brilliant! Grips you right from the start and sets you on a aural journey, it needs to be played loud. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another greats Chino Moreno project!, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: +++ (Crosses) (Audio CD)
What a great album! I bought this album as I'm a huge fan of anything Chino does, mainly Deftones, so I had high expectations of this album. There was also a considerable amount of hype surrounding the album where I'm from, but as soon as I heard the first new track 'Bitches Brew' I knew it was going to be exactly as I hoped. If you're a Chino Moreno fan such as myself, this isn't exactly a must buy item, but it's definitely worth a buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cross Ur Heart, 25 April 2014
This review is from: +++ (Crosses) (Audio CD)
Man can't trust woman.He wants her to desire only him. When she does, he fears the change in her. She becomes animalistic, unknowable, blank and of the night.He feels that at that moment he could be anyone interchangeable. So He deals with her at a remove. He constructs games whereby he is in control He constructs scenarios that name the Devil and Demons He would rather the conceit of meeting his doom if he follows to her secret place than to follow naked matching her desire. This album looks in detail at man's fear and metaphysical psychology in a pretty entertaining manner, most of the tracks are catchy built as they are on various dance templates, like Trip Hop and various bass musics. There aren't many guitars to the front of the mix but they are mixed into fabric and atmosphere of the album. In parting I say this is a good if slightly too long release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly awesome!, 23 Feb 2014
theone&only (March, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: +++ (Crosses) (Audio CD)
This record has been getting 5 stars from everybody who hears it so when I heard 'Bitches Brew' I thought 'hmmmm, this will be OK'. I have never been into Deftones, I just thought I'd give this record a go based on that one song. I am so glad I did!
Chino's voice (which always irritated me in the Deftones) here sounds lush and vibrant and really breathes life into the songs. Whether it's the reverb-laden catchy pop hooks to the choruses of 'Bermuda Locket' and 'HholyGhost' or the spell binding lift into the chorus of 'Frontiers' I simply could not get enough. I have been listening to this album on repeat since I got it and still it is doing what all the best records do - getting better with each listen. I suppose if I had to classify what it sounded like my response would be Depeche Mode crossed with 30 Seconds To Mars, but then again, as I am still discovering new things with each listen, this will probably change in a week! 'Black Stallion' is currently my favourite tune, tucked away at the far end of an album that doesn't lose quality control throughout. In fact, 'Prurient' - track 15 of 16 is another gem that would make a great single. So thank you Crosses - this album has made me a believer in music again. When I heard it I didn't just want to listen to it again, I wanted to start a band of my own that sounded like this! It's THAT good. Get this record! It came out in early 2014 but I have a sneaking suspicion it will still manage to end up as album of the year in many polls in 12 months time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crosses, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: +++ (Crosses) (Audio CD)
This album is great. This album is great. This album is great. Get this album because its great! GET IT! ........BECAUSE, ITS GREAT!

Crosses (+++)
Crosses (+++) by Crosses (+++)
Buy MP3 Album7.49