Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 6 April 2005
Lisa Loeb, for me, can be a little bit hit and miss. For example, 'Cake and Pie' was a masterpiece, with a few very poor songs on. 'Tails' was a showcase of ho-hum music with two or three outstanding pieces. For me, this album is more towards the Cake and Pie end of the spectrum. This is a very good album overall. The songs are as follows:
Window Shopping - an opening track like none I've heard before. Normally Lisa open with a superb track, but I'm not sure this time. The lyrics are amazing, but the song overall is a little too folksy for my taste. 7.5/10
I Control The Sun - this is much better! Much more the Lisa I learned to love on 'Cake and Pie'. Innovative lyrics which, while they aren't the deepest ever, they're well formed to the song. Poppy/rocky, and very good. 9/10
Hand-Me-Downs - quite easily the second best slow song on the album. Much better lyrics than the previous two in this song, which is why I like it so much. Downbeat, but somehow uplifting. 8.5/10
Fools Like Me - this is more like it! Nice indie-pop that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Very, very good. In fact, the second best song on the album! 9.5/10
Try - whoops! And after such a promising start. Too slow for me, and although it carries a tune unlike another one of the songs which we'll come to, it is only alright. Nice enough. I always seem to compare it to Nelly Furtado's song of the same name, and it just doesn't compare. 6/10
'Diamonds' - this song blows me away, absolutely. I love this song, and I've only heard it two or three times! Not a grower by any means, you hear it once and love it. Poignant lyrics that make me smile, I love this song. What more can I say? 10/10!
'Would You Wander' - this song is very good, my favourite of the slow songs. Very nice, slightly faster than the others, and over all brilliant. A good run of songs starting at number four continues! 9/10.
'Probably' - so good! Lisa is really doing herself proud with these songs now, with four brilliant ones out of seven! Rockier than any of the songs up til now, this song really makes me smile. And almost makes me mosh. 10/10!
Accident - woah, Lisa! What happened? You were doing so well up until this little mosntrosity! This song has little tune, the lyrics are slightly sadistic, and I don't like it at all. Too long, too slow, and too dull. 3/10
'Lucky Me' - Another poor slow song, but this is so much better than 'Accident'. It has a defined tune, and has an air of Tori Amos about it. Limited lyrics don't help this attempt out at all, though. 5.5/10
'Now I Understand' - much better to finish the album off! This is more upbeat, with some slightly bizarre lyrics, but nevertheless, quite a good attempt. Of the same calibre as the opening track, it's very folksy. 7/10.
Strangely, this album does not have a title track. That would be found on 'Cake and Pie' (go figure). Overall, this album gets an average score of 8/10. Several good songs are let down by the weaker efforts, but in my view, this is better than 'Cake and Pie'. But only by a bit.
on 21 September 2004
I heard some of the tracks from this album (I Control the Sun, The accident) previewed when I saw Lisa play at the Jazz Cafe this time last year.
In that-pared down situtation (just Lisa and her acoustic guitar) she, and they, shone. The strength of her voice and the simplicity of the songs worked perfectly.
On record, however, they come across a little cloying and over-produced. Lisa Loeb in the studio seems to rely on a slightly fey voice which is not really hers.
That's not to say that this is a poor album at all. It's generally strong and 'Diamonds' in particular stands out. There are certainly no bad songs here.
I can't help wishing, though, that she didn't let the temptations of the studio overcome her (great) natural talent. An album worth buying, but its studio-bound nature keeps me from giving the five stars a live recording would get.
on 3 May 2011
Loeb at her best.

If you are a Loeb fan, and how could you not be!, then this album is for you.