on 16 October 2014
Bought this camera as we were going on a sailing holiday and a "proper" camera was bound to get wet/dropped etc. Was also interested to try some pics while snorkeling. For holiday snaps it worked really well. Pictures turned out well in bright light and in low light - even managed a full moon glinting on the water OK. Optical zoom was OK and did no leave the edges jaggy.

Underwater was a bit more of a lottery as it was difficult to see what was in the shot but by holding it directly infront of where you were looking it did pretty good. Colours were not too bad either. Unlike the other reviewer mine was completely waterproof although I did not take it below 3m.

Having to open it up to charge it exposes the small seal to picking up foreign bodies so best be VERY careful and check there is nothing in the way - just some sand would be enough to compromise the seal.

Screen on the back is OK but really strong sunshine makes it a bit difficult to see

Have not used the video feature yet

Paid GBP 70 for it in Duty Free and for the money it is an excellent holiday point and squirt that you can take on the beach/ pool side / with you on activities and snap away as the mood takes you without worrying.

Only thing I do not like is the lump on the front which is necessary for the lens movement within. Makes it not quite as easy to slip in your pocket.
on 20 March 2014
I bought this camera about a day after it came out to take on holiday with me as a general camera and to get pictures of the kids in the pool (I've also got a Nikon 1 which I took for less active moments with reduced risk of droppage or water damage). It worked brilliantly, admittedly some of the pictures came out a little blurry but then it's they were taken in an indoor pool in low level lighting where even a more expensive point-and-shoot camera would struggle. The videos came out great and I captured some fantastic memories.

The camera is a little smaller than I expected (not a bad thing as it nicely slips into a pocket) and feels pretty sturdy when you hold it. To use it is amazingly simple, the menu's a very easy to navigate with easy access to all of the features. The 4 action buttons on the side work great and make picture taking, viewing and editing easy with slippery fingers. It also goes into great pains to warn you about leaving covers open and getting dirt into the openings before taking it into water, which is a nice little feature and you can skip it all when you get use to it. Having the separate buttons for pictures and movies is a nice little touch as well, and having them on different sides of the camera means I'm not accidentally taking video when I meant to take a picture.

Some of the features, like leaving voice memos with pictures, I'm not likely to use but there are few of them, this is a little camera with some - but not many - gimmicks, leaving you to get on with taking pictures.

For holidays and simple usage this is a great little camera for not much money. If you want more control over aperture settings, shutter speeds, ISO settings etc... then I'd look at something a bit more expensive like the AW120 or the AW1. But that's not what this camera is for, it's a fun, cheap camera for use by all the family and I love it.
on 5 August 2014
This camera is a budget best for me.
On initial inspection the camera seems like a low cost gimmicky camera with no real features but don't judge purely on appearances. The simple menu features are a nice change in receiving a sharp and focused image without the techy hassle and boasts an array of different 'scene selections', colour highlighting options, timer and smile detectors, auto focus and burst modes.

The main added feature on this camera considering the price is the underwater feature which captures colours nicely, stays in focus and doesn't appear to have any glare with added sound recording and clarity in the video mode.

It is incredibly easy to use, versatile and most importantly FUN!

I love this camera and feel it is a must for any beach/swimming holiday for both adults and children.
on 24 March 2015
Do not purchase this model camera. I purchased one brand new and was delighted by it's ease of use and affordability until it leaked on the third time we used it underwater. Worked great the first two times we used it. Nikon refused to do anything for me as the warranty had expired by a few months despite our having used the camera only 3 times. I thought maybe I was the unlucky one until I read several similar experiences in on-line forums with the same model of camera.
on 17 January 2015
Lots of fun in the pool and the photos are great quality (for family snaps). My daughter loves it, but shhhhhh Santa brought it!
on 16 February 2015
i had fun with it but from the moment i hit the water doing para-sailing, it stared to get water inside the camera. i hoped it was more resitant
on 1 March 2016
I had this camera for about a year before I first took it underwater. I had been very pleased with the results and the tricksy software and was well happy with it but I should not have taken it in the water as it is NOT waterproof.
Before taking it in to the water, I very carefully checked the seal on the battery/sd card enclosure to ensure it was intact and clean. I was in the water for about 20 minutes at a maximum depth of 3 meters. For the first 15 minutes, all was well but by the time I got out of the water it was half full of water.
I am sorry to say that Nikon's claim to it being waterproof is about as reliable as VW emissions data! A great little camera until it gets wet!
on 21 March 2015
I bought this for my 7 year old daughter for a trip to NZ and it delivered on all levels
Easy to use with a few fun features to keep kids happy as well as quite decent image quality. Obviously its not DSLR quality, but perfectly acceptable enough for 10x8 prints with decent sharpness, colour rendition and contrast.
Despite my misgivings, it performed admirably under water again with nice clear pictures
If you want kids or nervous adults to take an interest in photography this camera is a good place to start. I was impressed overall
on 28 April 2015
bought for use in the pool with my kids and its brilliant, takes great pics and videos and normal pics too. Especially like the neon style pics. Would like a lens cover for it as not sure how long it will stay unscratched!
on 17 October 2014
We are really pleased with this camera. It feels sturdy and quite robust, which is perfect for our daughter. Really clear and easy to understand instructions on the camera screen which guide you through the basics. The quality of the pictures are great and it's compact size and water proof casing means it can go everywhere we go, even in the bath!