4.0 out of 5 stars Robust little camera

Published 6 months ago by Karen Long

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust little camera, 19 Oct. 2014
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX AW120 Waterproof Shockproof Freezeproof Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.0 MP, 5x Zoom) 3.0 inch OLED with Wi-Fi and GPS (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Coolpix AW120 is quite an impressive little camera - at least that is my impression as a photographer of very many years who has always used to SLR and now DSLR cameras. The camera is very easy to use in the basic automatic mode, but it gets a lot more complicated once one starts to select options for specific conditions or effects, simply because there are so many to choose from - and probably far more than the average user will need - but I guess as most uses will need to use regularly just a few according to their interests it should not be difficult to become familiar with them. The scant user guide that comes with the camera annoyingly covers but a fraction of the cameras functions, the online manual from the Nikon website provides a comprehensive guide - and almost overwhelms with what this camera can do!

As for the quality of picture achieved by the Coolpix one cannot complain. Using the basic auto mode almost all pictures are well exposed over the full range without loss of detail in either highlights or shadows. The detail captured is very good even if the focus is noticeably on the soft side, this applies equally to close-up and more distant shots.

I do like the rugged feel of the camera and its compact size which can comfortably be slipped into ones pocket. As for its special attributes for use underwater and so forth I have not tested the camera, and I'm sorry but I'm not about to plunge into the English Channel this time of year to test them. However its claimed shockproof and waterproof qualities make it an ideal camera to carry and use in most everyday situations without worry.

A few further comments; while the camera has its own memory plus a slot for a removable memory card one is not included. I find the icons on the buttons of the camera too small or indistinct to see clearly. So far I find one or two options shown on the camera menus or in the full user manual unavailable on the camera (for example the manual lists four flash options but my camera appears to offer but two), maybe there is an answer to this but as yet I have not found one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of camera in a small body!, 15 Oct. 2014
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very excited to receive my Nikon AW120 and couldn’t wait to get it all set-up and ready to go. Luckily set-up is a doddle and it comes with some charge in the battery so I could get testing straight away!
Upon unboxing, you find everything that you need to get started. The power charger comes with an adapter to suit your particular country – in this instance the UK. You simply plug it into the charger unit and you are ready to charge your battery. Like I said before, it does come with some charge in it and I have used this to set-up the date and time and also to test out some of the features before doing a real charge.
The trickiest thing I found to actually set-up was the strap. It is an across body strap, rather than just a wrist strap and attaches to each end of the camera. As such, it needs to be disassembled and then reassembled. Take careful note how to do this – I thought I had but when it came to reassembly I obviously hadn’t taken as much notice as I thought I had but I got there in the end.
The camera has a nice feel to it – especially for a camera that offers to be more rugged than your standard one. It claims to be waterproof and shockproof – two things I haven’t been brave enough to test yet but I’m sure the time will come when fate will provide the chance for the AW120 to meet these challenges. Not only does it pack these practical features, it also has GPS and WiFi to offer.
Design is nice and plain. It’s not a stunner but then for me I don’t want it to look stunning, I want the photos and video it takes to look stunning. This is where we come to the workings of the camera and what it was designed for. The AW120 has a nice, wide lens which should help if you do opt to take this little beauty under the water with you as water affects angles etc. On dry land, the AW120’s wider lens allows lots of light which makes for lovely, clear pictures.
Most of the buttons are situated on the back of the camera, beside the 3” OLED screen. These are your traditional menu buttons and feature menu, video record, directional buttons, macro, exposure, timer, flash, playback, delete, scene and auto buttons. There are some great scene options and a number of filters plus a smart portrait mode. On the top you simply have the shutter and power buttons. There are also buttons to the side of the camera and these deal with some of the fancier additions – the World Map feature and the Action feature. World Map works with the GPS and gives you a map of where you are and any interesting, nearby landmarks. Action allows you to see an overlay menu to select shooting angles/mode, record video or go to image playback.
Nikon have put a lot of thought into this and you can even transfer photos using a wireless mobile app to iOS or Android – a feature I will be trying out as soon as possible. Whether you want something that is packed with features or simply want an outstanding, rugged little camera that will survive the stresses of modern life, this is certainly one worth looking at. I am delighted with the quality and heartily recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera for snorkelling and diving., 30 Dec. 2014
I bought this camera so I had something to take photographs with whilst I was diving. Its waterproof to 18m and as I have an Open Water Diver certificate, 18m is as deep as I can dive at the moment, so its perfect

I can report that the camera survived the diving trip, and actually made it to 23m without leaking, and took some great pictures and videos underwater. That said I had to do some Photoshop work to the pictures to tone down the blue hue all the pictures had, which was a surprise as I had used the specific underwater settings, which I thought would take account of this.

It was also really cool to look at the photos using the wifi functionality on my iPad between dives, and prove I really had seen all the fish I had claimed to have seen.

What does happen when you dive with this camera is that the screen starts to concave in once you get past about 3m with the pressure from the water. It was pretty unnerving the first time you notice this, but so far its always gone back to normal once I have surfaced.

It also still takes pretty good pictures above the water, but they are never going to match my SLR. however I have now got a camera I can take anywhere, and if its going to get wet or dusty I will be using this camera rather than risking my SLR.

The final feature I was impressed with, was the GPS tagging of photos. They arrived in Aperture all tagged up with the location data so I knew exactly where I took the picture.

So overall I am really happy with my go anywhere camera, and will use it to get some photos I would have never have got if I just had either my phone or SLR with me.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure I will grow to love this camera over time., 13 Sept. 2014
Mark Govier (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
The menu structure of this Nikon is alien to someone who's used Canon and Olympus for many years but I think that now I'm starting to get the hang of it. But to sum up my findings so far... The picture quality is great for a camera of this size and the wider than usual lens does work well for the type of photography that I'm interested in, sailing , walking etc. But the zoom also provides great scope for those close up shots.

Plus points:
Great pictures with good colour balance
Good sensitivity from the slightly larger lens
Excellent video picture quality (though the zoom motor noise is audible and zooming is in steps rather than smooth)
Lots of preset programme options - very few manual ones.

Negative points: (maybe just me)
Awkward menu structure
"shake and move" menu navigation may work underwater but just seems random to me. Again maybe it takes time to understand what it is meant to be doing.
No auto-bracket function though there is a built in HDR mode that seems to work.

Still to try...
Splashing whilst sailing and Underwater (maybe when capsized).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, Great Features, 28 Oct. 2014
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're going away on holiday or if you're simply the outdoors type then this camera is for you! It packs a lot of features into a small and portable design and it takes great pictures too.

Firstly, the camera was smaller than I was expecting, easily fits into a pocket or bag so that you can take it with you for the day. It's also waterproof, freezeproof and shockproof although that's something I haven't yet put to the test, taking photos or video underwater does seem appealing though but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to risk it.

It has a nice large 3 inch screen to the rear, built-in GPS and wi-fi which comes in handy. It can take photos up to 16MP and shoot video at full 1080P and even do slow motion video up to 240 fps. I like a nice wide lens on a camera and this comes with a 24mm lens so should suit most people for those landscape shots. It doesn't perform terribly well indoors in low light situations but I suspect most people would be using this type of camera outdoors anyway.

A good all rounder for most people.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine until it leaks, 12 Dec. 2014
Owned for a year then just leaked whilst out snorkelling and died. Whilst it worked it was a serviceable workhorse support camera for using in tricky conditions. I used it a lot in water and it was great until it wasn't. That's the problem - no margin of error. If the seal gives up then you're done and it's over. GPS was great, the compass etc all good. Wifi was useless. Picture quality average but considering where it was being used it allowed me to have pictures I'd never normally get. I'm going to replace it but not sure I'll go with this model again or try the equivalent canon that can go deeper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera but could be better., 17 May 2015
I normally use a Nikon DSLR and i also have 2 other cameras including mirrorless and p&s cameras, but wanted something for underwater and a more rugged nature the kids could play around with, so I chose the AW120.
Its a decent camera, with good video which does decent hi speed video (at a cost to resolution). As a normal p&s camera it is a bit lacking. The picture quality isnt that great , if you zoom in or crop any photo you`ll see lots of smudging of the details. But as a simple shooter it does the job.

I was disapointed with the wifi connectivity, you cant connect through from your pc for example it has to be using the nikon app on your smartphone or tablet. So you need to even forward everything to your computer via your smartphone or use a good old fashion usb cable to your pc. You can take remote photos from the smartphone app, but why they didnt allow remote video is beyond me.
Also, some of the button symbols are rubbing off the back of the camera after less than a year and moderate use. I`ve never seen that it any of my cameras of the last 20 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 10 Mar. 2014
R. Skardon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having had a few issues with the AW110 - one with a clicking front panel and one that wouldn't focus on anything remotely dark I ordered the AW120 with some trepidation.

However so far it has worked well producing good quality images for a compact camera with all the features I have tested, including the remote control via an iphone working well. The design is a bit nicer than the 110 both in terms of layout and the larger blocks of colour on the paint-job.

Its quite chunky for a compact camera both in weight and dimensions but this does seem to be largely due to the number of features that it includes, the build feels solid, though i did apply a screen protector as these always feel like the weakest link and my 110 scratched easily.

A couple of flaws from my perspective are that there is a button on the side that activates a menu for choosing shooting options that seems to only be operable using an infuriating motion sensor rather than the usual d-pad for everything else, no idea why it couldn't be both or selectable.

Also when not switched on there is a rattle/knocking noise if you move the camera around that I figure must be the lens before its powered up, not a flaw as such but a bit odd.

The one crucial thing i haven't tested yet is the waterproof capabilities, though with the 110 that seemed to work fine and it doesn't appear that the door etc has been changed from that, I will update once I have used it in the water.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Nikon Coolpix AW120 Waterproof Camera was an excellent choice for me after many hours of research, 25 Dec. 2014
The Nikon Coolpix AW120 Waterproof Camera was an excellent choice for me after many hours of research, the camera is robust and easy to use and generally produce great photos, if there is a drawback this would be when taking photos in low light and the camera feels a bit heavy, like many users we are now use to the weight of a mobile phone....

5.0 out of 5 stars definately a good buy, 30 April 2015
lovely compact camera
excellent picture quality
like the gimmick of the camouflage
used to take pictures for business purposes, hence the need for the waterproof, which seems to work