5.0 out of 5 stars learning
I find this camera does all my Bridge camera does but it is so handy to have it fit in my pocket , still on a learning curve with it and had it out today for the first
The camera came earlier than I expected so very pleased

Published 1 month ago by A. O'Loughlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not equivalent to other Nikon camera's owned
Firstly, I bought this product at 329 and they have in a week reduced the price by 60!! That is extremely annoying.
Published 3 months ago by The Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars learning, 18 Jun 2014
A. O'Loughlin (NIreland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S9700 Compact Digital Camera - White (16.0 MP, 30x Zoom) 3.0 inch OLED with Wi-Fi and GPS (Electronics)
The camera came earlier than I expected so very pleased

PS I took the camera out on a very sunny day and couldn't see the screen , a view finder would be better for sunny days , however the pictures I took are pin sharp and the zoom is amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly sharp pictures!, 8 Jun 2014
M. Aust "Martin" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a Sony DSC-HX5 compact that I love. It has everything I want in a camera, but the 10x zoom which at the time was leading edge, is now a bit outdated. So what I was searching for was a camera that had all the great features of the Sony but with a 30x zoom. I thought it would be a matter of picking the best of the bunch but I was surprised to find that for one reason or another the main contenders eliminated themselves, leaving the Nikon S9700.

Movies - I use the camera to record holidays, and turn the images and video into a PAL DVD, mixing the video footage with other footage from other cameras. The camera must therefore shoot video in 25 or 50 fps to avoid jerkiness when integrating 30fps material. Curiously the Canon SX700 (and SX280) do not have PAL shooting so that is a no-no.

GPS - I tour Europe a lot and use the GPS geo-tagging in the Sony to help identify where the pictures were taken. It has proved to be invaluable. The Sony DSC-HX50 does not have GPS, and the DSC-HX50v (and the newer '60' versions) are not available in the UK, so that's the Sony eliminated.

The Panasonic Lumix TZ50 (and 60) seem on paper to have everything - including a viewfinder. However, all the reviews and example pictures I have seen show that the Lumix images are really not very sharp compared to the others, and image sharpness is critical, so it's bye-bye Lumix.

The Nikon S9700 doesn't seem to feature in the comparisons, and there are very few reviews out, but what I read seemed good, and the sample images were as good as the Canon (which was the best of the rest) so I took a risk and bought one. It was a good decision!

I have been playing with it in various situations and mostly I am delighted with the clarity and sharpness of the images. I say 'mostly' because initially I was a bit disappointed that some images were not really sharp, but then I remembered that at full stretch this is like having a 750mm lens on an SLR, and to think of using that handheld in low light on a swimming duck 10 yards away would be folly, but that's what I was doing and wondering why the images were not crisp.

The Sony was the best compact camera I had ever had. Now the Nikon is!

4.0 out of 5 stars small camera skyscaper performance, 31 May 2014
Fantastic camera. Bought as a holiday camera, mainly when flying so I can keep to travelling with just hand luggage but it had a big job to do, take the place of my dslr. Well..... it succeeded, only compact camera I have ever owned which let me use bit like an slr, bit more fiddly but I had all the control I wanted and that awesome zoom means getting close to that wild life action is easy. sharp auto focus and brilliant picture quality. You could not ask for more or get better I believe from a compact camera. Brilliant second companion for any keen DSLR.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best compact I've ever used, 8 Jun 2014
pent 3 weeks researching which compact camera to get and arrived at this. I have a Canon 60D with access to pretty much any lens you can think of, but I need a point and shoot for when I don't have my kit on me.

The things that drew me towards this camera and model than any other:
- It has a CMOS sensor; the type used in DSLRs.

- A whopping 30x zoom and large backlit OLED viewing screen. A shame there is no optical viewing, only digital through the screen; I am yet to find out what this will be like on a sunny day.

- I find the pop-up flash pretty impressive and easy to bring up/put back. The flash easily fills a whole living room, perfect for evening house parties. Would've been better if you could swivel the flash so you can bounce it off walls (Just me being picky really).

- 1080p video recording is easy to start up and crystal clear, along with clear stereo sound, and has a HDMI plug in (along with the usual USB as well).

- Got a brand new one off ebay for 70 less than the RRP! (They won it in a competition or something) Couldn't say no to that offer.

- Looked at other compacts to try and find the same vital specs, but only arrived at bridge cameras, which I'm fed up of lugging around - might as well get another DSLR.

- Image quality is great. Not RAW quality, but still impressive for such a compact camera.

- Feels sturdy, made of the right materials.

- Interesting creative options such as monochrome, vividity setting and a toy camera style to name a few.

- Easy to use interface

Things that put me off (so far):

- A bit of a struggle to produce a nice, clear image in a shadowy area without the use of flash (but again, that's very picky of me).

- Not as good as I hoped when it came to capturing movement (just a movement of a subject's hand) without a flash.

- I only shoot in manual mode; it's easy to adjust the aperture and shutter speed, but am yet to find out how to adjust the ISO settings; some images appear grainier than expected, but again, that's without flash.

- The GPS/Wifi/electronic compass... Why would ANYONE want that on a camera??? I've shot on many locations throughout the UK and abroad for over a decade or so, some multiple locations on the same day, and I have never thought to myself "I wish there was GPS or WiFi on this camera!"
They could've cut the cost down on that, and spent more attention to detail on what makes an actual camera, rather than a cool gadget.

- The price. I can't really talk about this factor after getting it cheaper. I don't think I would've been as impressed if I spent over 200 for it. I'd have definitely kept on looking for one with the same specs minus the silly GPS/Wifi/compass.

Conclusion:
It would be 5 stars, but I'm taking off a star for the novelty non-camera functions, the slightly disappointing image quality, it's difficult so far to escape motion blur and it's quite expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Compact Camera, 11 July 2014
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This Nikon comes with a big 30x zoom. It weighs just 235g, so you can easily slip the Coolpix into a bag and carry it around on your journeys. The Image stabilisation is pretty good, so when zooming right in on your subjects - shaky hands shouldn't cause any real camera blur. The Nikon has good shutter delay too, meaning you can quickly capture your subjects without them moving out of frame.

This Coolpix has well-sized buttons, leaving enough space to rest your thumb on its back. The navigation menu has a range of settings and functions for casual users and those who want to experiment a little. This particular model has built in Wi-Fi, so the user is able to transfer images to your iOS or Android phone using the Wireless Mobile Utility app. The app also facilitates the ability to control the camera and take photos remotely. A pretty good camera overall, and I have yet to find any real negatives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon COOLPIX S9700 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.0 MP, 30x Zoom) 3.0..., 26 July 2014
K. Chessell (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
An excellent camera with a really powerful zoom lens. The one drawback of this camera is the lack of an eye view. This means that with the sun behind or to the side of you it is vertually impossible to see the picture on the back of the camera itself. Other than that it is a good camera but frankly rather expensive'

3.0 out of 5 stars Not equivalent to other Nikon camera's owned, 25 April 2014
I have always owned Nikon camera's since they came with a metal body and film. They would stand any amount of abuse and still come back for more. Sadly, this is not now the case and it appears to be getting worse. The P7000 I bought several years ago is light but still feels sturdy. This camera, well time will tell if its a good investment or not.

The camera feels very flimsy and it is. I am frightened to raise the flash in case it breaks off. It has been placed in the worst place possible as well, just where your fingers overlap the body at the left-hand edge. Surely it could have been moved nearer the centre of the body and closer to the lens and would not have caused any issues here.

With regard to the GPS which is why I paid extra; I live in the Galloway Forest Park and regularly take photos in the middle of nowhere. Understandably, there will be fewer satellites but the camera is extremely slow to pick up your location and stays red for several minutes sometimes. Its okay once it is locked on but turn it off and you have the same problem in another area. Short of leaving it permanently switched on, I can see no way around this. Plus the mapping is terrible and never seems to conform to the OS version of the same area. I do own a SatMap and don't expect a compact camera to compare but its not even close and yet is being advertised as such. Plus the additional premium in price is outrageous really. A lot of the photos I have taken, even when the satellite icon is white, have shown my location as being just off the coast of Africa. Fantastic feature which doesn't work that well.

One thing that is good is the image quality. I bought the camera as a backup to a Nikon D80 and D90 when I don't feel like lugging these and there necessary accessories around and was pleasantly surprised by the quality - both in Macro mode and Landscape. The images are pin-sharp and very well exposed.

I did try a few short videos and again, quality is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sun, 20 Jun 2014
very good camera in all respec`s except one that I find at this time.
That is the reflection of the screen in the sun i.e. when framing your picture. Its not good you have no idea at all in the son

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 15 April 2014
Awesome product produces good quality pictures and very simple to set up and use in all sorts of situations! Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014