5.0 out of 5 stars Prozac for the Ears, 14 May 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Towards (Audio CD)
I saw this charming Parisien trio as the support act for Goldfrapp, at the Hexagon Theatre in Reading this year. What a lovely discovery. Gorgeous vocal harmonies, upbeat tempos, inventive use of percussive instruments, minimalist but effective use of keyboards. Some downbeat music can send you into the depths of despair - The Cocteau Twins or Morrissey spring to mind - whilst other music, like this group, lifts the soul and can put a big silly grin on your face. The music on this CD is like a hybrid of Two Door Cinema Club and the French synthesizer duo Air, with clever melodies and extremely sexy vocals. You soon find your thoughts drifting away from the humdrum day to day stresses of life, and get lost in the intricate rhythms and uplifting vocal harmonies. To cap it all, this trio of young French musicians are extremely likeable, and I hope that this first collection of their songs achieves the wider audience that it deserves. Daughters and Best Thing are probably the stand out tracks, check out the video for Daughters on YouTube, very clever, and Best Thing ought to be a Summer smash hit for the UK in 2014 - if it gets released as a single and is marketed as much as it deserves. Best Thing is a lovely euphoric track that puts a spring in your step.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album of the year so far, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Towards (MP3 Download)
I first saw We Were Evergreen when they were supporting Goldfrapp in York. I had the good fortune to see them play at Fibbers, a very small and intimate venue also in York a couple of evenings ago. Their performance was electric and best of all, fun. The album doesn't have a dud track on it. That's something almost unique. I have been playing it alternately with Bastille's album which I'm still enjoying and London Grammer. Endlessly playable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable!, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Towards (Audio CD)
Great for background and critical listening! I find myself singing-along (hitting replay) on this album quite often while in the car or at work. When I have some time to listen critically (nice headphones, quiet room) I have found it to have great skill and depth both in the recording/production and in the performances by each of the artists. All in all I give it a 4/5 only because I have to leave room for the 5/5 albums that this one does not quite reach (Dark Side of the Moon, Aenima, Houses of the Holy, Life for Rent, The Downward Spiral, etc). Great album, but not "legendary." I think that's saying a lot for what I understand is We Were Evergreen's first major release! Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky!, 28 Jun 2014
JoMo (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Towards (Audio CD)
Saw this quirky French trio as support for Goldfrapp in Manchester and was so impressed by the songs they did I decided to order the album. Definitely a listen for someone who wants something different from the usual!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for!, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Towards (Audio CD)
Since seeing these guys (accidentally!) at Wilderness in 2012, we've been keeping up with their live gigs in London. Three extremely talented and creative musicians who work brilliantly together to weave a diverse, quirky and addictive album.

My only negative comment is that so many of their early songs haven't made it.... Summer Flings, Penguins and Moonboots, the one which finishes with the three of them performing an amazing percussion set.... I could go on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Sep 2014
Singer (Scunthorpe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Towards (Audio CD)
Top stuff from this vastly underrated ( and largely unknown) band

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Towards (Audio CD)
Brilliant album from an excellent band

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sep 2014
helpful, excellent

Towards
Towards by We Were Evergreen (Audio CD - 2014)