This 1224-page book - the 8th edition of March 2014 - is an interesting and readable guide to the United States of America. This is a well-designed and presented guide, with useful maps. This is not a glossy guide with lots of colour pictures, but it is a well-designed and laid out guide, with colour used only sparingly. It is intended to be a meaningful guide to things to see and do, and not just a list of things to see and do.

It is broken down into four major sections:

Page 4 - Plan Your Trip:
This section is an introduction to the region, telling you what to look out for (Top 25), what you need to know in advance, and lots of other touristy stuff.

Page 59 - On the Road (“The Guide”):
P0050: New York, New Jersey & Pennsylvania (1 city & 3 states)
P0170: New England (6 states)
P0254: Washington DC & the Capital Region (1 city & 4 states)
P0330: The South (9 states)
P0456: Florida (5 sub-sections)
P0514: Great Lakes (6 states)
P0612: Great plains (7 states)
P0666: Texas (4 sub-sections)
P0733: Rocky Mountains (4 states)
P0801: Southwest (4 states)
P0901: California (7 sub-sections)
P1020: Pacific Northwest (2 states)
P1082: Alaska (2 sub-sections)
P1101: Hawaii (4 islands)

Page 1121 - Understand:
This section contains articles on ‘local’ culture - history, people & way of life, cuisine(s), arts & architecture, land & wildlife, etc.

Page 1172 - Survival Guide:
This contains sections on transport, driving in the US (on the right), the A-Z Directory, etc.
P1199: Index
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2014
My wife and I have been back one week after an amazing 4 weeks road trip across the US.
We've literally spent 10 months planning it out. At first we were using an earlier issue of this excellent book, but bought this new version in March when it was released.
Combining this with a road map (I can recommend Hema maps), we managed to plan our complete trip, which included the cities and places to visit, some accommodation, places to eat, attractions to see/do, general city backgrounds/history, and what expect in ash place. The only thing this didn't help with was booking our flight (although it states what airlines go to the US).
We'd used it a lot before our trip had even begun, and used it even more while we travelled. I know most of the time you can simply jump on the 'net with your phone and check out Google Maps, but quite a lot of where we travelled had little or no signal/service (especially out on the road between cities) so this book was always being used.
I can't recommend this enough, and it lives up to the well-respected Lonely Planet reputation.
FYI: The journey we took: Driving from San Fran – Yosemite – San Luis Obispo – LA – Las Vegas – Grand Canyon – Farmington – Durango – Denver... and then flew to Boston before returning home to London.
on 26 September 2014
After having bought many Lonely Planet City Guides (Such as USA, Las Vegas, Miami & Orlando), this is my first larger Country Guide. I have to say the layout and organisation is very good making it easier than expected to find what you're looking for.

Using with own personal knowledge and other information from the web before travelling to the USA for 4 months from Miami to Seattle through all 48 mainland states, and is proving to be good back up as well as pointing me in the direction of other activities and recommendations as well as overall and city history.

Only negative is the political part which will be dated in the coming few years, but only a very small negative.

Looking forward to using it on the road
on 10 November 2014
Great information, but previous versions had more information on smaller towns and cities across the USA. Which have now been deleted from this version of the book
on 2 March 2015
You can't expect to get a guide that covers the whole USA in detail but this is my "go to" guide when planning a trip there.
I really like the layout of this guide and I have found it invaluable for helping my plan my next trip and itinerary.
Once those are in place I use additional guides and information take with me ( I like the Top 10 guides for major cities) but for initial research this is ideal.
on 20 July 2015
Having used lonely planet before I had no doubt this would be extremely useful. It was a crucial ingredient in our road trip around America.
on 12 April 2016
This book is fantastic! Used it for a month of traveling and stayed in its recommended hostels which were top notch! The pricing system is very useful too. I loved the section on tipping (super useful) and what certain items are called in the USA, which are different from the UK. There was even a section on lone female travellers, extra useful for me who was one!
on 18 July 2015
Very good up todate book. Would definately reccomend.
on 23 April 2015
Ideal gift for son who is going traveling this year
on 30 January 2016
I'm visiting the USA in a couple months which is why I downloaded the book. I found it very interesting and full of lots of useful information. Well worth a read weather your planning a trip or just to learn some fun facts.