Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:£7.99

During the 1980's the pop culture ran film after film of Jason and Freddie. Real horror fans quietly turned "Evil Dead" into a cult classic with collectors DVDs selling up to $100.00.

The remake has high standards to meet for devoted fans. Some fans claim it is not a remake, but if you use the same name and have many of the same scenes, it's a duck.

1) The book has to be convincing. They did fine here.
2) The forest rape scene was a signature scene. This film didn't improve on it. One would expect with all the CG effects available, this would have been far better. It was worse. In fact there was a complete lack of special effects I was hoping for.
3) Bruce Campbell and a chainsaw. They didn't even come close. Jessica Lucas? Shiloh Fernandez? Please. They needed a name actor to take that role and write it with some personality. They didn't.
4) There was also a high amount of camp value to the original film series. This one eliminates all the humor. Seriously, where is the hand running around giving people the finger? I think the whole movie gave the viewers the finger.

If you have seen the original, watch this as a rental. This won't make my collection as did the faux skin covered DVD. Having trashed this film, I will say if you haven't seen the original and know nothing about "Evil Dead" you might find that you will like this blood fest. My recommendation is to watch the original and "leave this book alone".

Parental Guide: F-bombs. No sex. Sketch nudity in book, mud nudity?
on 27 October 2015
Not the best horror I've seen as I felt the story line to be quite good but the characters I felt weren't very convincing.

I may be being picky but the extent of the man with the glasses's injuries plus the time of his death plus with fact he wasn't taken over by evil yet were very unrealistic as if he had those injuries in a more realistic horror he would be dead long before due to blood loss. the main guy also would be in a much worse state with his injuries too. If they were possessed like the other characters then fair enough they could still continue to live longer with their injuries, but the fact that they got injured badly but didn't die or get weakened made the story overall rather dull and gave the appearance of being made up by a zombie fanatic teenage boy.
A poor horror due to the parts of it I explained, but if you like older style cheesey horrors, then maybe you'd get some enjoyment from it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 February 2016
VIDEO:

Evil Dead arrives on blu-ray with MPEG-4 AVC @ 25 Mpbs 1080p 2.35:1 encode. The picture was photographed with Sony’s CineAlta F65 digital camera system. The visual imagery is intensely frightening and utilizes a stylized colour palette to dramatic effect, aided by cinematic lighting that highlights shadow details. Blacks are deep and solid. Image clarity is impeccable, with natural sharpness defining each and every element. This movie is a powerful and horrific visual experience that is exemplary of the genre. (4.5/5)

AUDIO:

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack is intense as well with aggressive atmospherics and sound effects coupled with deep bass impact. The orchestral and choral music score is haunting and dynamic. Dialogue is intelligible. The enveloping sonic experience is engaging throughout and delivers a visceral emotional reaction. This is truly a scary soundtrack. (5/5)

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Unfortunately, Evil Dead only contains the R-rated theatrical version of the movie, not the much-hoped-for unrated cut that was handed an NC-17 rating. A relentless, ghastly, and jubilant phantasmagoria of nightmares, the Evil Dead remake is a boisterous, outing that lives up to the cartoonish spirit of the Sam Raimi cult classic. From Uruguayan filmmaker Fede Alvarez, making his big-screen American debut, the film comes with a clever plot that feels fresh and new, but doesn't shy away from being seen as a reimagining/reboot/continuation of the beloved original while also drenching the whole affair with buckets of gory, blood-spattered gruesomeness. The blu-ray arrives with an excellent video transfer and a reference-quality audio presentation. Evil Dead is an enjoyable, scary movie, and is highly recommended.
on 8 October 2015
To say this is a rewrite of a classic is hit and miss... Yeah they took the name, they took the main story line (a few possessed people staggering around killing their friends saying "I'm going to eat your soul" and a cabin in the woods with a basement...) which as I recall was the entire story... They changed a few of the bells and whistles that beefed up the threads of the story and turned it into a hack and slash blood fest. To be fair the threads of this story don't make a fine tapestry... you would be lucky to get a hair net.

To sum up, a base rewrite, hack and slash blood fest with no real story to follow.
on 23 October 2013
I understand the energy and input to make a reboot/sequal out of a classic evil dead.

But you would think that today's film makers or money makers are in it for the cash, coming from the origianl team who brought you the classic this film does stick out like a sore thump in an ettempt to re-do a classic.
Before i wathced this film i have to admit that I was sort of excited as I was told Ash Williams (Bruce Campbell) was at the end credits, but only saying Groovy.

So now onto the film itself, it felt like the film was entirely shot in studio instead of the creepy forest from the original, the book was not as scary as the original nor was the film scary like the original.

Gone is the atmosphere that to me in the original was the pinnacle of the film, creepy, horrific and dame well spooky, what this film does instead is gives you gore. I think the audience is sick to death of gore by now, and by the end, the last final scene sucked like hell, that demon was so easy to kill off and looked boring.

I do like parts of this film, but only parts, but by the originals standards, it doesn't do me anything.

However do like the idea of a cross over with Ash, but please do it justice this time. Sam Raimi take control.
on 13 August 2013
Recent re-workings and reboots of classic horror films have generally been pretty good. This is an excellent example of how you can keep the elements of the original and build a new movie around them. Fast paced and bloody, the gore is so excessive, you won't know whether to laugh or be sick. The tight script and brisk direction proves you can get to know the characters with little or no time wasted on backstory. Very atmospheric with very good acting and great effects, largely achieved old school without CGI in the spirit of the original. Despite looking like a studio film and lacking some of the gritty feel of the original, it is well worth watching and definitely one you'll want to come back to. It's certainly better than Texas Chainsaw 3D, although that was fairly good. The DVD has some good extras too.
on 28 June 2016
Wow another horror movie about teens running into trouble while staying in some old cabin in the middle of the woods! I have seen horror movies I genuinely like, I love the Silent hill movies but it would be great if I could see a horror movie that isn't about young people fighting of evil while being trapped somewhere, it's been done to many times. I want to see something like Hellraiser, I want a horror movie that is actually creepy as well as original. American Werewolf in london, there are so many great classic horror movies and I want to see more of it nowadays. True horror to me is something that's chilling, plays with the mind, some what disturbing in a way that really makes it interesting to watch, I get tired of these sorts of films that just have pointless gore and therefore it's a horror film. this movie didn't do anything for me, it's just blood thirsty. Movies like Saw don't count because they are meant to be like that and the storyline for Saw works perfectly making it a very interesting movie series. This film isn't terrifying or unsettling, it's just kinda boring with lots of blood. The silent hill movies are pretty nightmarish and psychological, they are how horror movies should be and I actually really like movies like that but it honestly seems most horror films lately do this sort of thing. It would be really nice to see some original horror, this wasn't really original and I know it was a remake but it's still not original. There are some great horror films around, but it's becoming almost impossible for film makers to hit on something really good. Dissapointing.
on 4 March 2016
I was pleasantly surprised by this. I call it a remake. Sure there are serious differences, but it's really a remake with some twists.

Some reviewers complained about the acting, I didn't have an issues with it. The acting wasn't great in the first one, perhaps with the exception of Campbell himself. Even then, I thought the second film (Also a remake!) was stronger. Why? The humor! The first film I actually thought was quite bad. I figured it was supposed to be scary, but kind of accidentally ended up a bit funny - but people liked it. So when they made the second film they went mental with the humor and it was brilliant for it! The third film 'Army of Darkness' more or less flushed the horror down the pan and JUST did humor - this effort just flushed the humor down the pan, which was a pity.

If you like the sort of creepy, camera-pan with something surprising when it pans back kind of scare - you should like this. If you like screams and buckets of gore - you should like this. If you insist on Bruce Campbell cocking about and hitting you with one-liners for an Evil Dead film - well, this might not be your cup of tea.

For me though, I think I'd rather not think about the original films too much. The scares are a different style in this - it's more contemporary. The forest rape scene, re-done here, I thought was done quite well. Other reviewers have suggested more should have been made of it, but to be fair the scene is in pretty bad taste and I'd rather not dwell on it. It doesn't actually add much to the film apart from making a nod to the original. I don't know, maybe women find the idea of being raped by a tree more scary and integral to the plot, but for me it was just a 'Hey look, we're doing what the original did!' moment. No more, no less.

I actually liked the female lead in this. She was convincing when possessed and I was really routing for her when she started kicking ass. I do question the defribulate them with a car battery theory. I just don't think that would work... It'd have been more realistic for them to have had a portable defib kit or something...

I'd watch a sequel to this, but I'd really be hoping for this female lead to be meeting Ash, that would make a great film.
on 8 April 2013
Having relatively recently experienced the tepid, CGI heavy offerings of the remakes of John Carpenter's 'The Thing' and 'The Fog', I wasn't getting my hopes up about the Evil Dead remake which is directed and co-written by Uruguayan filmmaker Fede Alvarez. The 1981 original was considered one of the most violent films of its time and was consigned to that group of film's known as "video nasties".

If you've not seen the original and aren't convinced by the fairly pedestrian synopsis provided, check out the red band trailer, not the watered down UK version; that ought to convince you!
Having now seen the whole movie, I can testify that it lives up to the hype! The premise behind the group's trip to the cabin is more realistic than many other movies of a similar ilk. This is no hiking trip gone wrong. This group are here for an intervention to get one of their own to go cold turkey and get clean of heroin. This makes it all the more plausible when they choose to remain when things start going wrong...

Shiloh Fernandez (Deadgirl, Red Riding Hood), Lou Taylor Pucci (Jack and Diane), Jessica Lucas (Cloverfield, The Covenant) and Elizabeth Blackmore are all able enough in their roles but for me, it was Jane Levy (Suburgatory) that stood out in this film. Levy's performance as the girl hooked on heroin trying to get clean is as equally convincing as her turn when possessed by a malevolent demon.

Evil Dead is a particularly slick and brutal horror that is most certainly not for the faint-hearted. The special effects are really well done and it's nice to see a horror movie that merits its "18" certificate and doesn't take any prisoners when it comes to the gore. I consider myself a fairly well-seasoned horror fan and even I was squirming in my seat at times! The publicity for this film stated that there's no CGI in Evil Dead. However, I fail to see how such effects could have been realistically achieved with practical work but I'm no expert!

Those hoping for some of the humour present in the original films will be left disappointed. To my mind, this isn't a problem since the genre is currently awash with horror-comedies and subsequently, it's refreshing to see a film that simply revels in the fact that it is a visceral and violent horror.
The pace of the film is quite simply relentless, seamlessly taking the viewer through a gamut of maiming, mutilation, dismemberment, immolation and exsanguinations; and that's just for starters. Although a remake, this film isn't identical to the original and that's no bad thing. This is very much a modern retelling of Sam Raimi's Evil Dead and does not suffer having been dragged into the 21st century.

On a negative note, I thought the film still had a studio-set feel to it, when I was hoping for something a little grittier and less polished. However, in the grand scheme of things, this is a very small point against a fantastic horror film!

In short, Evil Dead has thoroughly impressed me. I would suggest that Evil Dead has set the standard for forthcoming releases this year and is a breed apart from recent sub-standard remakes and derivative horror comedies.
1010 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2014
It's not as good as the first one! Because it's true, it was a good attempt but unfortunately a lot of people will compare it to the original Trilogy,it's just the way it is? The film just didn't have the atmosphere even with its new age effects, it was just to run of the mill American screech vest. But if your a fan of horror, especially 'EvilDead' horror, you know at some point or other you must see this for yourself's whatevers said about it. Don't get me wrong it is watchable because their is worse, a lot worse if you are a diehard horror fan, but for myself and maybe others as I mentioned above it just wouldn't cut it as a top genre horror, it's got a lot to live upto for a start and miss's it by some distance. Also here's hopping if they make a second one it will be more imaginative.