4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to navigate
Loved the first book
But when I read the second I couldn't get into it and with no contents list for easy navigation I had to flip through pages till I got the next story would have rated higher if I could have gone straight to stories.
Published 6 months ago by Bea S Tro

3.0 out of 5 stars Let me hear you say - meh!
Published 1 month ago by Fat Boy Fat

3.0 out of 5 stars Let me hear you say - meh!, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: This is the End: The Post-Apocalyptic Box Set (7 Book Collection) (Kindle Edition)
There is always a difficulty with reviewing boxed sets of different authors without using phrases like 'curate's egg' and 'mixed bag'. The problem arises in that not only do the books vary in quality, one expects that, some are also not quite books, in that at least one appears unfinished or at least a taster whilst most of the others are book 1 of n. It would have been nicer and more honest of the publisher to have stated this from the off. The blurb calls them 7 'novels' or 'titles' but at least two are short stories/first or extended chapters and only two really qualify as actual novels in that they end at a point where the story can be left or continued, rather than been incomplete.

That said they are not bad, even 'Earthfall' - the only one I couldn't finish, wasn't that bad really; just don't expect too much.

Individually:

Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 : 3 stars
Quite a good start to a series, if short. Decently written and well characterised.

The Retreat #1: Pandemic: 3 stars
A bit filmatic but otherwise quite a good romp with action a plenty and a nice twist on the Zombie genre.

Diary of the Displaced - Book 1 - The Journal of James Halldon : 5 stars
A well written and original story with a likeable main character, a good logical plot and some great imagery. Definitely worth a read and following up on.

Earthfall : 2 stars
Not dreadful but not a particularly well written story. Sometimes with books the author will signpost what is about to happen and when it does it is almost a whoop of joy. With this one its more of a 'really? You went there?' Written as if it were destined for TV with a dumb plot, stock characters (a badass, cigar chomping 'Sarn't Majer', a husband and wife team -what will happen to them I wonder). Imagine a script for a SyFy Channel film that got rejected. I just couldn't finish it but only because when the baddies appeared they were daft.

Contamination Prequel : 3 stars
Affliction Z: Patient Zero : 3 stars
Reversion: The Inevitable Horror (The Portal Arcane Series - Book I): 3 stars
I read these books about 2 weeks ago and cannot remember a thing about them except one, I think, was very short. That doesn't make them bad and I enjoyed them at the time. Just not memorable stories.

Only one of these stories (Diary of the Displaced) made me want to read further but that doesn't mean the rest are not worth reading and given the price it would be churlish to complain too much.

All in all then this collection really is a mixed bag of curate's eggs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to navigate, 9 Jun 2014
Loved the first book

5.0 out of 5 stars What a collection??, 6 May 2014
I bought this the other day and I've had to stop reading cause my head is spinning from all the wonderful stories. These authors are all singularly great! Get them together in a box set and it's beyond fantastic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 5 May 2014
This box set was an amazing price and has opened up a host of new authors and series for me to get stuck into.
Although a couple of the books were a little slow, I read all the way thru and was glad I did.
Would recommend to people as good stories and great value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombie epic., 4 July 2014
Joanne Hawkins (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Great value but good idea to have the odd break and read something a little light hearted occasionally as you could get a bit paranoid by the end. As expected it was all about the zombies.

5.0 out of 5 stars good reading, 22 Aug 2014
Mrs. Jane P. Porter "PlymouthGal" (Plymouth UK) - See all my reviews
Just started to read this set of books and already I can't put it down. This Post Apocalyptic set is better than the norm that you get and involves the forces getting trashed, it shows cities getting wiped out as the 'clowns' or 'crazies' begin to take over and eat humans or make them into one of them. I have ordered sets 2 and 3 to make sure I don't miss out

5.0 out of 5 stars Infected" was a fantastic read, so good I bought the next book ..., 25 Sep 2014
I have only finished the first book in this pack and it's already worth the money "Slow Burn : Infected" was a fantastic read, so good I bought the next book in the series immediately on finishing it, if any of the rest of the books are only half as good this pack was amazing value and well worth a purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb collection, 18 Jun 2014
I have rarely bought such a cracking selection of stories by good authors in one volume. As with all collections there are some that do not quite float the boat, but even they are good and the rest are brilliant. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, excellent books, 10 Jun 2014
Purchased this collection for my daughter. She loves them and I can't wait to find the time to read them myself.