on 12 February 2015
EXCELLENT series! I enjoyed this way back in the 90s when it first started, and to say I am enjoying this complete collection of every series is an understatement. The quality of the DVD is extremely good. There are extras which I have yet to get around to watching but I am sure I will enjoy. This series was made when times were just that little bit simpler, and better in my book. There were no mobile phones around then so there was not one single scene with the wretched things in it! However, Gordon Brittas with a mobile phone would have been interesting!
on 30 May 2014
Yes, all 7 seasons are so funny that its hard to believe....But it's a fact. These episodes can be seen over and over again. Chris Barrie is a brilliant comedian.....One of my favorite episodes is the one where Brittas is accused of killing some people at the center with a gun, and cutting the head of a guy he was trying to rescue, with a chainsaw, hehe...
on 10 May 2014
I have been a fan of this series ever since it was first broadcast in the 1990s, so I was delighted when it was reissued at a reasonably affordable price. I must say I'm not disappointed - not only is Chris Barrie' s performances good as I remember, but he is ably supported by all the cast, especially Pippa Haywood, Julia St. John and (from series 2 onward) Judy Flynn. I have already watched series 1 & most of series 2 already. A real 90s classic.
on 7 September 2015
I had forgotten just how funny this series was. The antics of the well-meaning but totally inept manager of the leisure centre have had me doubled up with laughter. The staff are driven to distraction by the way Mr. Brittas implements his policies, which always result in death, destruction and devastation. Some wonderful characters. Colin, the unsterile under manager is a delight, as is Carol the receptionist, but all the cast are superb. Worth every penny.
on 22 July 2015
Only reason I got into Brittas was because Chris Barrie was in Red Dwarf, it's not really the sort of thing I'd normally dig, but it's a show worth sticking with. Mad characters, an ultimately likeable Brittas and a kind of gold fish bowl feel to world these characters live in make for a genuinely enjoyable comedy series.
on 10 September 2014
Outstanding. Shame the Brittas empire had to end. The last series was so funny, they got better over time I think, the Christmas episodes were brilliant. I'm delighted with my purchase, pleased about the price too. Highly recommend this box set. We laughed so much. Hope you enjoy it too.
on 29 February 2016
We haven't finished all these yet . . . a warning is necessary here for anyone who didn't see them the first time around. You could die laughing if you don't ration yourselves to just a couple of episodes at a time. Difficult to pick out anyone from the stellar cast, but perhaps Carole????
on 24 January 2016
Glad to see this is still available as a DVD, because this is not much talked about these days but is still a very funny, often touching series. Also interesting as a product of its time - all primary colours and Lady Di hairstyles, and not a PC or mobile phone in sight!
on 23 May 2014
After gaining success in the cult sitcom Red Dwarf, Chris Barrie landed the role of the highly enthusiastic but totally incompetent Gordon Brittas, the manager of the Whitbury Leisure Centre who constantly depresses his entire staff.

While The Brittas Empire isn't as memorable as Red Dwarf it is still a great sitcom feature great characters including Brittas' long suffering wife Helen, the often tearful receptionist Carol, the totally efficient deputy manager Laura, the unhigeanic janitor Colin, male pool attendants Gavin and Tim who unbeknownst to Brittas are in a relationship, the enthusiastic and somewhat naive female pool attendant Linda and the usually unhelpful secretary Julie. Other characters would include Angie as Brittas' secretary in Series 1 (who left the show soon after for reasons unknown) and Penny as the the runner of the centre's beauty parlour in Series 6 (but was written out of the last series due to the actress having other filming commitments).

The Brittas Empire remains one of the more underrated British sitcoms ever made and shows another terrific performance from Chris Barrie.
on 31 December 2015
Brought for my brother as a Christmas present & he loved it, he had been searching for this box set for ages & could only find it in one shop for £74!