5.0 out of 5 stars The Even Better Second Series
Published 15 months ago by Richard Allen

2.0 out of 5 stars meh
Comedy comes in many flavours but I don't like this one. I wasn't keen on American Office but it grew on me once I realised it was simply a sitcom rather a spoof docu-drama. However, so far, this falls into a uneasy crack between the two and I'm finding it painful rather than funny. Not for me.
Published 4 months ago by pkr

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Even Better Second Series, 14 April 2013
Richard Allen (Wellington, Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I found this by chance on BBC4. As has been said, there are overtones of the Office in both the documentary style of the filming and the lead character's complete lack of self awareness. Where this differs is that Amy Phoeler's brilliant Leslie Knope is an entirely likeable and sympathetic character (an aspect of David Brent that only appeared toward the end of the run). Season two has allowed all the chacracters to develop much further, especially that of Ron Swanson, who I understand is a bit of a cult figure in the US. As the Head of Department he has some excellent lines, such as "I like to say no, it dampens their enthusiasm"; all delivered entirely deadpan. It's all very good; well written and acted, and with a level of irony that I haven't seen in a US sitcom before. And no laughter track, which makes a huge difference to my own enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in its field, 11 Aug 2012
After an enjoyable but inconsistent first year, 'Parks and Recreation''s second season sees the show getting into its magnificent stride, with plenty of wonderful one-liners, excellent character development, and some incisive and genuinely hilarious plotlines. For the uniniatiated, it's fine to skip the first season - as fun as a lot of it is - as there's nothing in Season 2 which will confuse those who haven't seen the previous season. The show centers around the Parks and Recreation Department, a Government branch in the fictional town of Pawnee, Indiana - "the fourth fattest city in America", a city filled to the brim with bizarre locals and a history of oppression to the Native Americans. Pawnee provides an excellent backdrop for some of the best characters and dialogue of any recent U.S. sitcom (no surprise considering the show's creators were behind 'The Office' [US]). At the head of the show is the earnest, excitable and sometimes competent Leslie Knope, deputy-director of the department, surrounded in the office by a hilariously macho boss, a sulky intern, and a married flirt who fancies himself as a style mogul, and turns up to a halloween party dressed as T. Pain (Tom Haverford, excellently played by stand-up comic Aziz Ansari).

For the initiated, Season 2 is the best so far from 'Parks and Recreation'. The character development, especially on the front of the previously rather one-dimensional April, and perennial joker Tom Haverford, is exceptional, and genuinely moving. The comedy is still the show's bread and butter, though, and from Leslie inadvertantly promoting gay Penguin marriage ('Pawnee Zoo'), to Leslie providing Tom with money for a stripper, and the appearance of ultra-sleazy would-be playboy Jean-Ralphio, who invites Donna to a club, "either in your Mercedes-Benz or my pre-owned Acura Legend" ('Woman of the Year'), it is absolute gold. There isn't really anything I can say wrong about Season 2 of 'Parks and Rec'. With the exception of one poor, borderline offensive episode ('Sister City'), there's nothing here not to love. From surprising new relationships, to Ron wearing a fur-lined hat, it's all great. A wealth of deleted scenes, insightful commentaries, and an extended version of a few episodes, is just an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 30 Mar 2013
I can't believe that this show is only just starting to be shown on British TV!

Parks and Recreation is amazing, hilarious and just plain brilliant! If you enjoy other American shows such as Modern Family, Community, The Office etc then I highly recommend this. :)
Also, don't be put off by the first season! Season 1 is funny, but it's nothing compared to season 2 - easily my favourite show at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, 13 Jun 2013
R. Forse (Taunton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
As with many shows I end up watching, it was first recommended by a friend (then another, then another) so I gave it a go. Though many online reviews advised against the need to watch season 1, I wanted to start from the beginning and I'm glad I did as there were a number of gems and "quotables" contained within to make it stand out (in a more character development kind of way).

My first impression was that it reminded me of the Office, but as others have said the main character (Leslie Knope) is infinitely more likeable than David Brent and this really helps the audience (and even the other characters) to root for her throughout.

Having worked in local government, some of the situations and politics that the characters are presented with undoubtably resonated with me, but my wife (who has never worked in local government) also really enjoys the programme so it has a wide appeal.

Keep an eye out for the "Miss Pawnee" episode in particular as this, along with many other episodes, has really made this a favourite in our house.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bees knees, 3 Sep 2013
I love this show so much that I wanted to call our new family pet (a hamster) Ron Swanson because of the way his whiskers twitched. Sadly, I did not get my way.

Seriously, genius writing, beautifully drawn endearing characters, terrific performances, the very best that US comedy can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars The warmest comedy show on telly, 14 Jan 2013
Aaron Lamb (Melbourne via London) - See all my reviews
I can't help it. Everytime I watch a Park and Recreation episode I'm left feeling warm and happy. It's packed with wit, smarts and silly in equal measures.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Comedy you've never heard of, 20 July 2011
Following the exploits of the Parks And Recreations team in a small City Hall in USA.

Series 1 started as an Office me to, genuinely funny but many parallels.

Series 2 comes into it's own with a vengance (series 3 builds on the momentum) the characters have grown, the situations are assured, Rob Lowe joins the cast but Lesley Knope is the undoubted star. Funny, daft and touching. Easily one of the best comedies around.

Check out Ron Swanson's Pyramid of Greatness - a map to success for us all. Brilliant cast, great characters.

Give it a chance. Top quality stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parks & Recreation 2, 17 Mar 2013
Seriously cannot big this up enough. Brilliant comedy. Brilliant casting. Brilliant script. Just Brilliant. And just so you have a clear gauge of what I currently consider brilliant: 30 Rock, Community, The Middle, Modern Family and The Office - An American Workplace. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Mar 2013
This season is so much better than the first and contains 24 fantastic episodes. It also allows less know characters such as jerry to become more know. It also features chris and Ben who are now main characters who come in to it at the end of the season. A must see and a must buy. It's created by Greg Daniels and Micheal schur who worked on the office

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a must watch., 7 Jun 2014
After watching one of the episodes on BBC4 I was hooked. As other people have stated, it is good to watch the first series to get an idea of some of the running themes. I am now thinking about getting the third season. It is funny, well written with a great cast.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›