5.0 out of 5 stars Stands out from the crowd - original and exhilarating
St Vincent had somehow completely passed me by until I heard Digital Witness on Six Radio. I pre-ordered the album on the strength of that song and wasn't disappointed. Very varied collection of songs ranging from Prince style funk to (near) balladry but there isn't a duff track and there is a boundless energy throughout. Highly recommended.
Published 4 months ago by Christian R. Mole

3.0 out of 5 stars Weakest album since 'Marry Me'.
I'm preparing myself for some criticism on this one, as St. Vincent appears to have finally achieved critics darling status in the papers. The Guardian, for example, has given the album a 5* review and lauded it saying:

'it feels remarkably sure-footed, the sound of an artist who, when not taking out the garbage or masturbating, has worked out exactly what she...
Published 4 months ago by Lordzoot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands out from the crowd - original and exhilarating, 27 Feb 2014
Christian R. Mole (Chislehurst, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: St. Vincent [Digipak] (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars St. Vincent, methodical Madness., 19 May 2014
This review is from: St. Vincent (MP3 Download)
Admittedly, I only found out about this Artist after watching her recent performance on the Jools Holland show, (2014), which was, erm.. interesting, to say the least. Undeterred, I looked her up on the web and discovered her music videos, which, if I'm honest, I found a bit disturbed... Haneke-esque, but Suess-ier. Nevertheless, I found myself the next day trying to recall the guitar riff from her song 'Birth in Reverse'. I decided to buy the download of the album, which was modestly priced at 4.99, and I can truly say have no regrets. I have enjoyed all the songs on this album and have found St. Vincent's Annie Clark to be much more than 'another Lady Gaga' as one Youtuber elegantly stated... She is in fact a very accomplished musician and although never overstated on this album, she shreds the guitar...!!
This isn't in my opinion a Masterpiece, though I believe she is more than capable of creating one. It's hard to put into words, but I feel this could be what music has been lacking in recent months, perhaps I have to get out more but It's good to see real talent prevail! If I have any criticisms, they would only be that the last track is not as strong as the others, but it's still great. I look forward to hearing more from this artist and I'm glad to know there were three albums prior to this one- all of which I will be listening to in the near future. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this artist been all my life?, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: St. Vincent (Audio CD)
To my own ignorance I've only discovered this artist within the last month and all I want to know is why has it taken me so long? Had I known she had more album releases prior to this I would have been a fan long ago, so bare in mind that this is my first album I've listened to from St. Vincent so I'm not going to comment on previous albums or compare them as I cannot judge.

Now onto the review and what you came here for, I found it to be a masterpiece and a beautiful symphony to my ears as I listened to this album far too much. It has this metaphorical fishing rod that reels you in and keeps you there for days. I took notions to listen to other artists in my library but this kept pulling me back into the world of St. Vincent. The title track, "Rattlesnake" is a brilliant collaboration between the genres of rock and indietronica, it has a powerful bassline, excellent vocals and a cracking guitar solo to boot. It's that type of song that keeps you in the album and makes you want more, and this album provides, let me tell you. As it moves onto "Birth in Reverse" you are treated to a brilliantly rhythmic and co-ordinated song that delivers on powerful bass and great guitar work. Then there is my personal favourite "Bring Me Your Loves", this song with head phones on, turning it up past eleven and allowing it to strike your eardrums giving you that "goosebumps on your arms feeling", bass and guitar solos with a great sense of lyricism makes this song my favourite as it ticks all the correct boxes for me. The next song I'll mention is "Severed Crossed Fingers". This song takes a slower paced approach, as opposed to the other songs I've mentioned, but it's just as good. Only song from the album I dislike is, "I Prefer Your Love"; it's not the worst song I've ever listened to, I just found it boring and non engaging.

As I've expressed I did not find much bad points in this album, otherwise I would not be rating it five stars, but again I re-iterate; I'm not an avid listener of St. Vincent as this is my first album I've listened to, so if you're more of a seasoned listener and you're contemplating buying this album, I can still recommend it, but you should look at some of the great reviews from better acquainted listeners of this artist. However if you're new like me, this is your excuse to click that "Add to basket" button.

5.0 out of 5 stars St. Vincent, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: St Vincent (Audio CD)
A brilliant, cerebral and evocative album with heart. Both unsettling and dark, and beautiful and touching, 'St. Vincent' is a remarkable fourth effort from someone whose musical peak seems infinite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 4 Jun 2014
S. Collins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: St. Vincent (Audio CD)
I can't compare this album to previous works by the artist as I only came across St. Vincent recently while they performed on Jools Holland in the UK. The songs were great and really stood out on the show and the lead singer had a great stage presence and is obviously a great and charismatic performer.

I only got around to getting the album this week and think it's fantastic - it's rare you love nearly every song on an album upon the first listen when you haven't heard the artist before but I enjoyed it from start to finish and played it again straight away. I really like the vocal and it works perfectly on all the songs that range from sexy & quirky electronica to funky indie with some brilliant guitar and chunky bass, as well as a couple of slower tracks that work just as well. There is some really good songwriting on this album with interesting and quirky lyrics.

Digital Witness is probably my favorite track on the album at the moment - every person I've played it to has liked it and asked who it is.

If you're in doubt then watch some videos on Youtube - I will definitely be getting more albums from this artist in the future!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choons, 20 May 2014
This review is from: St. Vincent (Audio CD)
And a fantastic and distinct sound. Influences of Talking Heads, Patti Smith, Cabaret Voltaire and even Phil Spector. Very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of 2014, 7 May 2014
M. Cox "Just Me" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: St Vincent (Audio CD)
I have only just discovered this artist and i am hook! St. Vincent is amazing and brings us an album with up beat, unique tracks, as well are softer tunes to delight out ears and bless our listening pleasure.

I will have to go and buy her back catalogue now :)

4.0 out of 5 stars St Vincent - The Jigsaw Pieces Come Together, 24 Feb 2014
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: St. Vincent [Digipak] (Audio CD)
4.5 Stars

Try to write a review of the music of St Vincent aka Annie Clark without using the words strange, quirky, eccentric or experimental. Not an easy task since Clark has been a proud pusher of boundaries since the release of her solo debut album "Marry Me" in 2007. She has also in that time struck up a useful partnership with the "Head" Talking Head David Byrne and if 2012's joint effort "Love this Giant" was quite what it promised then Clarks self titled fourth album sets the record straight.

St Vincent is the complete album that Ms Clark has been promising the over the past seven years. There have been occasions in her previous work that it has been a little to clever with songs that sound that they need more work or a slight injection of melody. It is pleasing to report therefore that she has shown more restraint here yet at the same time produced an album that could only be an St Vincent production. The ingenuity of her arrangements remains but somehow more shape and order is present. The powerhouse funky opener "Rattlesnakes" has a staccato synth line and breathy vocals by Clark and is an ecstatic start. The angular "Birth in reverse" is not one of the stronger tracks here but the track "Prince Johnny" that follows is a joy. It is almost a conventional ballad for Clark infused with brilliant lyrics not least the observation "Remember the time we went and snorted/A piece of the Berlin wall that you'd extorted/And we'd had such a laugh of it/Prostrate on my carpet". From here on the album gets better and better. "Huey Newton" starts like a slow trip hop song, only to introduce a nasty powered monster riff at around 3 minutes. The brassy single "Digital Witness" is a hybrid of Talking Heads meets Prince slice of funk accompanied with a brilliant video that updates Fritz Lang's classic silent film Metropolis. The next song "Regret" is like that very clever pop of the Dirty Projectors variety and a delight to the ears. The crunchy rock of "Psychopath" is hewn from the same cloth as "Rattlesnakes" whilst "Every Tear Disappears" is overshadowed by the albums standout and concluding track "Severed Crossed Fingers". On this Clark injects black humour into a Bowie like forlorn tale of love where she ruefully reflects, " Well you stole the heart right out my chest/Changed the words that I know best/Found myself with crossed fingers in the rubble there"

The great news about St Vincent is that this is by far her most accessible album to date. There has been nothing wrong with her inspired eclectic music to date, it is just that Annie Clark's fourth album finally completes the picture on the jigsaw box and nearly all the pieces fit perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it now., 13 July 2014
Buy this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
A unique artist

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

St. Vincent
St. Vincent by St. Vincent (Audio CD - 2014)