Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 3 October 2012
my happiest memories are times spent with my grandparents. one set taught me to cook & the other fueled my love of literature by reading the likes of Twain, Blyton, Tarka the Otter to name a few, but one of my faves was the endearing tale of a boy & his mongoose. the ultimate story of good vs evil and good triumphs. I never tire of this story.
on 13 October 2013
This classic tale, featured originally in The Jungle Book, tells of the brave battle of Rikki-Tikki the mongoose against the deadly cobras, Nag and Nagaina. Rikki-Tikki is swept away from his family by a flood and finds himself a most welcome guest of a human family.

I remember reading this once in school, though I can't remember exactly when, and I was happy to come across it for free on Amazon. It's actually quite an exciting tale, though perhaps a little scary. The snakes, Nag and Nagaina, are sinister and plot the death of the entire family in the big house, hoping that Rikki-Tikki would then move on. But luckily their plot is discovered, and the mongoose defends his adoptive family with every fiber of his being.

The characters are varied and are each entertaining in their own right. I love the idiotic Tailorbird, Danzee. He weeps, sings, and celebrates in turn, without any regard to consequence, mostly because of his short attention span. The little fearful musk-rat, who runs along the walls, but never to the center of the room, is also amusing. His role as informant is important to winning the battle, but mostly because he's afraid he'll be mistaken for the mongoose.

But mostly, I love Rikki-Tikki himself. Too curious to be afraid and fiercely protective of the young family and the creatures of the yard, he is an admirable hero. Brave and funny, and believable, too. When he's not busy saving the day, he scampers around on the breakfast table, perches on the little boy's shoulder, and otherwise endears himself to both the family and the reader.

I also like the poem at the beginning and Danzee's song at the end, cut short because Danzee himself was interupted in the singing by Rikki-Tikki.

Overall, a short, but powerful story of triumph, bravery, and danger. I recommend this one to anyone who likes rooting for the underdog and those who enjoy animal characters.
on 3 October 2013
My own fault for making a too quick purchase. This is not really what I was looking for. I was going to give this as a present, but couldn't as the quality wasn't good enough. More like a pamphlet than a book.
Very home made looking.
Disappointing.
on 13 January 2013
Rudyard Kipling may not be everyone's cup of tea but this delightful story should appeal to all ages - I have used it with junior children and with undergraduates to convey a sense of the British in India .
on 20 February 2013
RICKY TIKKI TAVI I read this book in school at it took me well back to my literature lessons I was lost in a time warp , can't wait to read it to my grand-daughters
on 31 January 2013
I would 100% recommend this book.
I first read it almost 15 years ago while I was traveling through India with my family.
on 13 February 2013
I love this book,my parents actually name'd me after the main character.can't wait to read it to my grandchildren.thank you.
on 17 November 2013
This is a favourite story from childhood. It was read by the teacher at the end of the school day when I was about eight. The story of brave Rikki Tikki the mongoose who fought the cobras to protect the family who adopted him. When the film of The Jungle Book came out I was so disappointed because I was waiting for Rikki Tikki. When I found out it was on free download I just had to get it. It will stay on my kindle forever!
on 17 November 2013
This is a story I read as a child, and it is still a must have story for all children today. I bought this for my grandchildren to enjoy (they all share my kindle when visiting) as I wanted them to enjoy books from my childhood. They loved the story and it was a pleasure to see them reading a real classic. Definitely worth having on my kindle. Needless to say, my children are having kindles this year.
on 8 November 2012
My teacher read this story to us when I was at infant school and she made it so realistic it sewed in me a fear of snakes in the bathroom even though I lived in south east England. When abroad I still check the corners in the rooms. I want to read this to my grandchildren but it will take time for them to be assembled quietly enough to listen without the lure of a tv. This story stands the test of time.