5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance!
Published 22 months ago by Joyful Jo

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read
It seemed a little slow to get going and I thought it was going to be really cliched but it picked up and had some good laughs. The storyline wasn't entirely predictable (though mostly) but the journey there was an entertaining read. Felt there was something missing from the concluding chapters.
It's not a deep book but definitely not as one dimensional as some...
Published 10 months ago by Hels Bels

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance!, 1 May 2013
This review is from: The Wedding Cake Tree (Paperback)
Pure brilliance! Well, I started reading this book last night, was totally gripped & read all this morning until I'd finished it! No one was allowed to disturb me! I was blown away! Such a magical story. I have to say that this book is now a lifetime favourite of mine. I experienced so many emotions as I read it, including grief, sorrow, bliss, joy, love, anger and shed tears of sadness and joy. I became one of the main protagonists on a wonderful adventure with the very gorgeous Alisdair, whom I fell hopelessly in love with! I now feel compelled to visit all of the beautiful places in your story; the description in your writing is superior and so well-crafted that I could imagine all the places as if I were actually there! Pure brilliance!

This story has truly touched me! I feel that during 2013 I'm going to start living & not just existing! I also feel compelled to buy a new tree & to relish in the fact that living a simple life is blissful & who knows how long or short it will be, so enjoy every moment as if it's the last!

Thank you Melanie Hudson, the World is a brighter place with you & your book in it! Have you started the next novel yet as I can't wait to read it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 11 July 2013
I put this in the category of "Romance" and "a good read". A wonderful, beautifully written story about the main character, Grace, as she follows her mother's instructions left in her will - to enable Grace to find out about her mother's past. The descriptions of Scotland make you want to drop everything and just go there! What a talented author to be able to paint the scenes for you in such beautiful prose. The characters of Grace and Alasdair shine through vividly as they make their way to each place outlined in her mother's instructions. This is a terrific read for a holiday or just anytime. I am so very glad I loaded it for my kindle. Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Melanie, 22 May 2013
I am a real book worm but never before have I felt the need to write a review until now.
This is a fantastic book that takes you on a real emotional roller coaster with two main characters who are so believable.
To add to this the woman is not just saying "yes, whatever you say darling," and jumping into bed at the first opportunity with the gorgeous male that we all must have fell in love with whilst reading the book.I am sure you know what I mean when I say this in light of the latest best sellers sweeping the market!
Refreshing and an absolutely marvellous read

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me laugh and cry, 21 May 2013
Katie85 (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is such a wonderful story - it is beautifully written, the characters are great but complex, there are plenty of twists and, although it is one of those books you don't want to put down, it is one of those that you want to enjoy every word so it takes a while to get through.

On reading the product description, I did wonder if it would be like "PS, I Love You" with the lead character being guided by letters, but it is different enough that I stopped drawing any comparisons very early on. Grace and Alasdair are well-developed characters and you really come to care for them and what happens to them during the course of the book. You are able to feel really happy for them during the uplifting moments and you can really sympathise with them during the tough times. There were many surprises throughout the book and the story turned out differently to what I expected. It is one of those stories where even up until the last chapter, I did not know how it was going to end. But my favourite part was actually the attention to detail paid to the locations that Grace and Alasdair visit - you really feel that you are there with them as the descriptions are so vivid.

All in all, this is a great story that manages to capture so many emotions and makes you feel like a part of the story. It has a bit of everything in it and is well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special book, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Cake Tree (Paperback)
I had an e-copy of this book from Choc-lit.com in exchange for an honest review which I'm more than happy to give.

I started this book intending to read a little bit with a coffee and literally didn't stop until I'd finished it! It is so beautifully written and I was compelled to keep reading, wanting to know what happened next but at the same time not wanting it to end. It's one of the few books I've read recently that left me bereft when I turned the last page, a story that will stay with me for a long time if not forever.

Grace attends the reading of her mums will and is completely thrown to find out that before she is eligible to inherit she must go on a journey of discovery. Her mum has written a series of letters beginning with one which she has to read in the solicitors office. This was totally unexpected and heart breaking for her. I had tears in my eyes and the book had only just begun. Imagine discovering the mother you knew and loved has led a life before you were born that you know absolutely nothing about! Add to that the Marine her mum has lined up to accompany her and we were in for an adventure.

This book pulled at my heart strings, I think I felt every emotion possible reading it and what made it particularly special was the journey itself. Melanie's descriptions were so vivid I could have been on the journey with Grace and Alasdair. Only realising just how accurate the place descriptions were when they travelled to Scotland. I've spent several holidays around the west coast of Scotland, it is one of my favourite places to go and I knew most of the places they visited, I could vividly see myself standing in the same spots - and I have had hot chocolate at the top of the Cairngorms in the Ptarmigan restaurant!!

I'd say nobody knows a person better than their mother and Rosamund's understanding of Grace was just beautiful to read - she succeeded in death to achieve what she failed at in life, pushing Grace gently into doing things she knew would ultimately make her a stronger person. Sending Alasdair along supposedly to keep an eye out for Grace - not totally untrue but she was pulling his strings too! Rosamund perhaps took the cowards way out, writing a series of letters instead of telling the her story to Grace whilst she was alive.

The Wedding Cake Tree succeeded in making me see, life is too short, we should grab our chances whilst we can and make the most of every day. It's far too easy to get caught up in the day to day drudge, forgetting to make time for the people and things we love - lives not just about working and paying the bills.

One of the wonderful things about this book was it was full of surprises, it was difficult to predict what was coming next and the story twisted and turned evoking different emotions with each chapter, keeping me hooked right to the final page

This was a beautiful book, one I've already recommended to several friends and I've discovered the Wedding Cake Tree is a real tree, not just a lovely description given to a pretend tree. A truly lovely idea to plant a tree at significant times and watch it grow as your relationships/children grow too.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked PS I Love You, try this, with a military twist, 21 Nov. 2012
I was given an Advance Review Copy by the author
If I could have given a half star, I would have rated this 4.5 stars.

I knew this book was coming out and had a rough idea of what it was about and liked the premise. I was equally delighted to discover that the protagonist shared a surname with me! When I heard about the book, I automatically thought of PS I Love You, because of the messages left by the mother to the daughter (although in PS it was husband to wife). There the similarities end, although both are poignant tales. The Wedding Cake Tree sounds chicklit from the title, but it's not, at all. It is, however, contemporary romance, set across several countries, including my native Scotland. I enjoyed this section in particular as I have visited many of the places mentioned, but likewise those I hadn't, like Aviemore, I could envisage from the detailed description. I could clearly see in my mind's eye, the night they all camped after the young boy got injured, I saw Grace and Alasdair sitting by the water, by the wooden hut and in the hotel. Although I haven't been to Yorkshire much, again, I could happily imagine Grace's aunt's farm. The description in The Wedding Cake Tree is fluid and I loved the aspect which inspired the title, of Grace's parents planting the tree to celebrate the birth of their daughter. What a lovely idea. It made me think that I would like to do something so significant when I have children!
I love novels which change location, so as Grace went on a trip, which even took in another part of Europe, which I have also visited and found myself remembering, particularly the places of interest, this appealed to me greatly.
Alasdair is a strong leading man. Everyone should have an Alasdair! There were also a few unexpected twists towards the end, which had me appalled.
The strong military vein running throught the novel was something I hadn't encountered before in this genre and it added a great deal to the story. The difficulties of war, being unable to discuss your work and being absent without knowing when you are able to return certainly made me think about how people in that field handle relationships.
The whole other life Grace's mother led and the cunning plan she put into action were surprising and masterful. I couldn't help chuckling at how devious she was.
Overall, an excellent first novel, a heartwarming romantic drama with a military background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, spiritual, a true modern classic, 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Wedding Cake Tree (Paperback)
This is such a beautiful book that delivers on all levels no matter who you are or where you come from, there is something for everyone. It deals with life and death the complexities of human relationships all intermingled amongst stunning backdrops of english and scottish countryside. It is a sumptious feast that takes you on your own journey too and leaves you wanting more. I felt bereft when I finished it. I can see this book easily becoming a film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choc lit at its best, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Cake Tree (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful feel good book.

Join Grace on her journey to discovery her history and all the places that were special to her Mum.

The character of Alasdair was well written too and the perfect companion for Grace, clever
Mum!

Happiness, sadness and wonderful locations - this book has it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real tear jerker at the end!, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Cake Tree (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
A really easy read, a great story with powerful characters so easy to get lost in it, couldn,t put it down as it kept you guessing right to the end!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, uplifting read, 21 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Cake Tree (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
I think The Wedding Cake Tree was for me this year's biggest surprise. I must be honest, I have expected something different when I started this book, something casual, something totally different, but after reading the first few pages of this story I had a feeling that I am keeping a real gem in my hands.

I think this review is going to be a very short one because I can't say a bad word about this book!

Straight to the point, from the very beginning we know what's going to happen in the story, and I liked this idea very much. We know that Grace is going on a trip with a strange man, and that the trip is organized by her deceased mother. Reading the first pages I have thought, oh my, this lawyer and his turtle, what's up, doc, but then the story smoothly takes us on a great adventure.
Grace is actually forced to take this trip by her mother's will. Her mother wanted Grace to get to know Rosamund's real self because, as it looks, she didn't tell her daughter the truth about her or her family the whole life. She sends Grace on a journey to the places which were important to her, which were significant for her, places where something happened. So Grace must drop everything, her work - assignment, friends, house and travel through the country and abroad, in a company of a man that she doesn't know and feels that doesn't need, but that Rosamund insisted, should go with her. He is carrying letters from Rosamund, which Grace should read in every significant place that they visit.
RAF is very often mentioned in this book, and being an ex - RAF Melanie knows exactly what she's writing about. The descriptions of the job were fantastic and felt totally real.

And so we are taken on a fantastic, beautiful, brilliant journey, a journey that have me hooked from the very beginning, a journey full of adventures, new people, new places, sunrises and sunsets. At the beginning I have thought what kind of mother Rosamund was, why didn't she tell Grace the truth in person, but after reading all her letters I think that I can see her point. The letters were painfully honest and it is sometimes the easier way to explain everything than when speaking face to face. The letters were also a kind of dare for Grace, although she didn't know this, with Rosamund pushing her to do things she would never have done, things that would make Grace feel stronger and self - confident.
I really liked Grace and I loved seeing how she develops through her adventures, how she's becoming an open - minded, brave and strong woman and how she learns to put her dreams first. I don't know how I would react for such news about my mother but I liked the way she came to terms with the whole situation: of course she was a little disappointed with her mother and felt cheated and scared, but she didn't react too hysterically, didn't feel too offended and just grasped the nettle, took the risk and left for the adventure of her life.
And then we have Alasdair, the stranger accompanying Grace. Oh my God, I am so missing heroes like he in the books that I read! We don't often get such a brilliant male character. He was fair, he was brave, he was nice, he was smart, he was life - experienced and he was handsome, and I would fall in love with him immediately.

What I loved about those two characters is, that when they set their minds on something, they just went for it. Also when it was about their feelings about each other. I loved the chemistry between them, because there was a lot of sparkling and electricity for me, but it was all fantastically tasteful and a little old - fashioned, especially when we think Alasdair.

I also didn't know where the book is going to take me next, what should I expect, what kind of adventure is awaiting me on the next page and it made the story more brilliant. Full of twists and turns that every time took me by surprise and made my reading full of joy. The descriptions were so colourful and vivid that I could smell the sea and see the colours by myself, I felt like I was joining Grace and Alasdair on their trip personally. It doesn't often happen that such detailed, long descriptions of situations, scenery or landscapes are so beautiful and written in such engaging, not at all boring way.

This was a beautiful, uplifting read. A book that will never be boring, doesn't matter how often you are going to read it! A book that I am not going to forget very soon and one that made me think. I have enjoyed every minute reading the story and I just can recommend it to all of you - go and buy your copy, you wouldn't regret it!

Copy received from publisher in exchange for a review.

The Wedding Cake Tree (Choc Lit)