5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 Review!
Published 13 months ago by MrE

I purchased this headset off the back of all the great reviews they seemed to get. I didn't pay too much attention to all the negative ones, as usually I don't experience the same issues as people tend to moan about, but this time it was different.

Published 2 months ago by MR F

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 Review!, 28 Feb. 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 (PS4/PS3/PS Vita) (Accessory)
This has been in the pipeline for a while now with PS4 gamers especially wanting a wireless stereo headset to complete the experience, although it's worth pointing out that this particular headset will also work with the PS3, Vita and PC. Please note that the 7.1 surround sound only works with the PS3 and PS4! Also note that it only works wirelessly with the PS3 and PS4 so if using with the Vita or mobile device you will need to operate it via a cable.

The headset comes well packaged and has a decent weighty feel to it, before I talk about the actual headset I first want to mention what you get in the box. Besides the actual headset you get the dongle part that acts as a receiver and plugs directly into a spare USB port on the device you are using it with. You get a very short Micro USB charging cable to charge the headset with; you also get a headphone jack cable for use with tablets and other such devices, a travel pouch and warranty documentation. Again before I talk about the actual headset I must be honest and say I was shocked at the size of the wireless dongle, it's not exactly small and compact and indeed sticks out from the console. The one question I would ask is why does the headset use wireless technology and not Bluetooth since the console has that capability built in?

On to the headset itself. It features a standard wrap around design which is well padded and each side can be extended up and down the arm so you can easily get comfy and everyone from people with larger heads to those that have smaller heads should be well catered for, the headset itself can be folded to save space during travelling but also the earphone part is better protected. For those wondering where the microphone arm is let me please you by saying the microphone itself is built in and does not stick out and I can confirm that even if you speak slightly on the quiet side your voice will be picked up, to quote my friend my voice was "spot on"!

This headset is noise cancelling not only in isolating exterior noise but also reducing the amount of background noise the microphone picks up and I can confirm it does a really good job of that, so much so I got told off by my other half for not listening to her, she was in the next room shouting for me but genuinely I couldn't hear her. Not that my excuse got me very far! The ear cups themselves are very comfy over long gaming sessions and don't apply any uneven pressure!

Audio quality in Chat and game audio is fantastic. Surround sound is stellar!!! No really it's fantastic and 7.1 really does impress. So much so it puts the turtle beach pair I had a few years ago to shame. Let me put it this way, you never get bored of hearing footsteps behind you and bullets flying past your head and indeed I would say it takes the gaming experience to another level. Controls wise you have volume buttons, mute and a rocker to choose between game and party sound (so you find the right balance between your friends talking and audio from the game) and a mode button.

Now battery life has been suggested at around 8 hours, I'm managing to get around six and a half hours, admittedly I was talking to friends as well as using it for surround sound at the same time so on the whole I can't complain although I will be investing in a longer cable so I can continue to use them and charge it at the same time as the cable supplied is a joke!

Other things worth noting are that the side plates are removable so you will be able to snap on different colours and designs I'm guessing at some point in the future for those that want to customize the headset to their individual tastes! There is also a companion app so you can download pre-set profiles for specific games making the experience even better and there is also a status display of the headset on screen so you can keep an eye on the battery level at all times.

Pros: Feels sturdy like it will last * very comfy * excellent stereo audio quality with 7.1 surround sound with compatible games * Compatible with PS3 and the Vita * good quality microphone that is built in * MUTE button * battery life seems pretty good * Works with PC * EXCELLENT value considering what you get!

Cons: Uses Wireless and not Bluetooth which seems stupid considering the PS4 has a Bluetooth receiver built in* If they had used Bluetooth and not wireless the battery life would be even longer * the wireless dongle takes up an additional USB slot and seems like an afterthought rather than a neat and compact device * charging cable is pathetically short

VERDICT: For the price you are probably getting the best value wireless headset on the market and when you factor in the quality you won't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong there are a few things that indicate that they cut corners like the fact it uses wireless and not Bluetooth and the dongle itself could have been smaller. All the small things aside I love this headset and the fact there are no wires is a big bonus especially with pets running around the house and indeed the other half not watching what's on the floor so I couldn't be happier and like I said earlier the price and quality is right!

RECOMMENDED!

UPDATE 16th December 2014: Headset is still working and very much still recommend it, battery life is holding strong at around 6 hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best PS headphones, 1 Sept. 2014
I purchased these headphones for two main reasons; I'm a firm believer that good sound makes a game, and the other half was complaining I had the TV too loud!

First impressions out of the box are good, the headphones are good quality and easily adjustable to fit pretty much any head size. Like pretty much any wireless device these days it needs a charge for a few hours before use to top up the battery. I also highly recommend that PS4 users download the free headphone app from the PS store (it works fine without, this just provides some extra modes for specific games so well worth it).

Overall I am extremely impressed with the sound quality, especially with the 'virtual' 7.1 surround sound enabled, this adding a real extra dimension to the gaming experience. The integrated microphone also works extremely well, with both multiplayer chat and PS voice control working well through it. Any gripes? Well, the charge cable is pathetically short but not much else to be honest, I tend to use my Samsung phone charger to charge my PS peripherals anyway. The USB dongle is a bit big too, but not really an issue for me. I've also tried the headphones on PS3 and PC (PC using the included adaptor through the headphone jack as normal) and found it to be a very competent performer, although you don't get the 7.1 sound through PC.

So, well made, comfortable, great sound quality and the other half is happy, highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality official headset, 10 Mar. 2014
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
♦ Brief ♦

I've been through all the past official wireless headsets that have come out (7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset & Pulses) and have always been impressed, so when this one was announced I was more than eager to get my hands on them.

With the previous models, the Pulses were the "successor" to the 7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset, however with this newer version (also known as the 'Gold Headset' in the US), I'm rather unsure whether these are a successor to the Pulses... They both have certain features which are better than each other.

That said, these are undoubtedly very high quality in both sound and comfort.

♦ What's in the box? ♦

7.1 Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 | USB Dongle* | Micro USB Cable** | Stereo Cable*** | Carry Case | Manual/Documents.

* This is vital to connect your PS3/PS4 via a wireless connection, do not lose this as you can't buy these separately.

** Unlike the Pulses, these actually come with a charging cable, HOORAH! Except the cable is rather short.

*** This cable is used to connect the headset to a Vita or a Dualshock 4 controller; using it this way will mean you don't need to turn the headset on, nor does the headset has to have any charge.

♦ Set-Up & Using ♦

As I'm sure you're aware of, this headset works with the PS4, PS3 & PS Vita, whichever console you're planning on connecting this headset to, the set-up is very simple and easy to do, just follow one of the steps below.

- PlayStation 4 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS4.
2) Turn the headset on.
3) Select the user profile you want to link the headset to (asks every time you turn them on).

If you have two of these headsets, you can actually use them both at the same time using two different user profiles, this means you can even both participate in the same party chat.

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Dualshock 4 controller.

Whichever set-up you go for, if no game sound is going to the headset, follow these steps:
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Output to Headphones > All audio.

Alternatively, hold the PS button down and go to "Adjust Devices", you can also tweak the settings there.

- PlayStation 3 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS3.
2) Turn the headset on.

The PS3 should configure everything automatically.

- PlayStation Vita -

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Vita.

♦ Headset Functions ♦

There are many functions on the headset itself, most of which are only usable when wirelessly connected.

- Pre-Set Sound Mode -

When turning on the headset, if you skip over to '2' rather than '1', you can select to use a special pre-set sound mode which enhances the sound to that specific genre, such as "shooter" or "music" etc...

Though you will need to set it up by firstly downloading the 'Headset Companion App', then connect the headset to your PS3/PS4 and upload a sound profile to it through the app.

- Sound/Chat -

This allows you to adjust the ratio of chat to in-game audio; you can have it balanced, or more swayed to one or the other.

- Volume -

Will adjust the overall volume.

- VSS (Virtual Surround Sound) -

Hold this button down to disable/enable, with VSS enabled, you will get the 7.1 VSS.

- Mute -

This will mute/unmute the microphone.

♦ Comfort & Sound Quality ♦

This headset is extremely comfortable overall, both the headband and earpads are super soft which make these very comfortable over longer periods of time.

Sound quality is great, especially when using the specific sound profiles available on the headset companion app. I've used the shooter profile on games such as Battlefield 4 & Resogun and am pleased with the results; great sense of direction with clear and crisp sound.

I've had to ask others for their opinion of my mic quality as I can't hear it myself, and everyone I've asked has said they can hear me very clearly, which is good as the microphone is completely hidden.

There is one downside to this and the other previous models which didn't used to bother me, but has been recently, and that has to do with there being no playback when talking on the microphone. Due to the over-ear design, you can't really hear yourself when talking, so as the volume gets louder, you'll find yourself talking more loudly.

I hope they can implement an update sometime in the future that will sort this issue out...

♦ Gold Headset -VS- Pulse Headset ♦

- Gold Headset -

+ Foldable design making it easier to store.
+ Slightly more comfortable than the Pulses, probably due to it being more lightweight as well as extra width of headband.
+ Sound has been improved a bit from the Pulses.
+ Longer battery life (up from 6 hours to 8).
+ Cheaper in cost (I paid £75 on first release which is £20-£30 cheaper than the Pulses).

- Pulse Headset -

+ Slider controls rather than buttons.
+ Bass impact (was a love or hate feature).
+ Multiple sound profiles available to select through at once.
+ Has an aux port on the dongle for additional wireless usage with certain devices.

Both are great headsets to which both also have their ups and downs compared to each other, however I seem to be using the Golds more.

♦ Overall Opinion ♦

This is a pretty solid headset that's available for a premium price, though I honestly believe it's money well spent... They're comfortable which means I can wear them for long gaming sessions, and with its crisp sound & VSS feature, it makes me feel more immersed with the gameplay.

I've been using these for almost two weeks now and couldn't recommend them enough.

.·:*¨*:·.·:*¨*:·.

EDIT - DECEMBER 2014: I've owned these for about half a year now and still don't regret purchasing these. A great buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Headset disconnecting SOLVED! (But Sony need to fix it properly...), 13 Feb. 2015

The setup is simple plug and play, and they worked brilliantly for about 60 seconds before as others have said and as you will read about if you Google them, they then disconnect. They will stay disconnected for a few seconds, then re-connecting again. This would happen over and over until they disconnect again and don't reconnect. You can get them working again by unplugging the USB dongle and plugging it back in again and switching the headset off and on again, but after 60 seconds or so they would disconnect again and around the loop you go...

I returned the first headset back to Amazon who were great as usual and provided a replacement, but I had the same issue with a replacement set as well.

I tried everything again to get these working... Switched off a second Wi-Fi router which was near to my PS4, tested all 12 channels on my original Superhub 1, replaced the Superhub 1 with a Superhub 2, turned off the 2.4GHz frequency, tested all the other 5GHz frequencies, plugged in a 5m USB extension cable to move the dongle away from the PS4 to about 2ft from me and the headset, reset the headset, reset the dongle, but none of these made any difference.

THEN... I plugged a 4 port USB hub (mine was a powered type, but without using the power) into the PS4 and the headset dongle into that and HEY PRESTO no more disconnects!?!?!?

Definitely seems to be a PS4 firmware issue, but it's been going on for more than a year and no update seems to have yet solved the actual problem.

Once I did get them working they are indeed fantastic and worthy of a full 5 stars for sound, quality, comfort and price. If only Sony can sort out the issue so I don't need to have a 4 port USB hub sticking out the front of my PS4 I will update my rating... Thankfully my PS4 is out of sight!

I hope this helps others with the same issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good and make games much more immersive plus you don't ..., 24 Aug. 2014
Really good and make games much more immersive plus you don't annoy your missus and neighbours playing THE LAST OF US at half one in the morning ! I got these for £62 from Amazon and at the time of writing this review they are an even better £60 ! I called into GAME in Coventry on Friday afternoon to see about buying them from there and they were £89 !! Ordered Friday afternoon and as I have Prime they arrived Saturday afternoon, fantastic service from Amazon as always.

These headphones are very well made, are very comfortable and sound great. The quick start guide could be better written as it doesn't tell you that you have to push the ps button on the ds4 controller, select options and then ALL in the audio options as it comes default to just chat. I thought they weren't working to start with but once the output selection was correctly set , instant audio in my lugholes, great sound, you can hear every foot step, voice and growl etc........being attacked by clickers in the last of us is now actually a pretty scary experience , especially playing in the dark in the early hours. Get these you wont be disappointed and at this price they are a bargain !

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU MAY NOT KNOW THIS!, 9 Dec. 2014
Everybody has said these are a fab headset, and believe me, they really are. If you want to read a review there's loads to choose from. What I'm hear to tell you though is that they can be used as regular headphones for music since they come with an aux cable. That's not the impressive part though, the sound. Honestly they have incredible sound and perfect quality, you won't find any fuzz or cracks here. Dr Beats are often seen as overpriced and not that incredible for sound, believe me though, you won't of heard music in these anywhere before, and for the price too! ow my......10/10 Flawless!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 12 Jan. 2015
Have been using the headset for 3 days now and am pleasantly surprised at their quality in both sound and comfort. My left ear is very sensitive to headphones generally and a few minutes of wearing on ear phones is all I can manage, the Sony headset has large drivers so the ears fit inside the cushion which has allowed me to wear them for around 3 hours in comfort. The volume, mute, mix controls etc are all found on the left ear phone and quite easily adjusted without taking the headset off ( once acquainted with their position) the 7.1 sound is added by an app which is easily downloaded from the PS store and does make a difference in spatial awareness. This can be switched on and off via a button on the left earphone. Wireless works very well and has a good range. Overall I am very happy with this purchase the only exception being the silly length of charge lead included, it's so short that you will need space for the phones right by the Usb connection on the PS3, therefore it gets a 4 rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 12 April 2014
I recently purchased these headphones and have to say I've found them to be very good. The packaging etc is all top notch and the build quality of the headset itself is good.

Sound wise on the PS4 the surround sound on games such as BF4 is superb and very immersive. Also I've had no complaints from anyone in the same room as me to turn them down, so I think they do a pretty good job of keeping all the sound in.

Overall I'm really pleased. Note: I paid £89.99 for them and have noticed the price going up, not sure they are worth the £129.99 I've seen them for recently. But that's a personal choice

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant for the price, 20 Oct. 2014
Had these for around one week now but have had some serious game time with them. Basically they are everything and more you could want from a £60-£65 (depending exactly when you bought these) headset. The surround sound is brilliant, I have used them on battlefield 4 and the last of us. The last of us is one of the few games that has a game specific audio setup that you can upload to your headset via the app. For battlefield I just used the generic "shooter" and can confirm both were really good. They sit comfy on your ears (FYI I have a big head and big ears), the mic is great and the in game options to adjust the mic versus game volume are great so you can find the exact happy medium so one isn't too loud or too quiet. All the buttons are easily accessible and you have everything you need. I would strongly suggest you have the sidetone on level 2 for a game like battlefield otherwise you will be shouting without noticing. I read some reviews that said this option didn't work or wasn't good, I can say after using all 3 levels that there is a noticeable difference for me and I definitely feel this adds value.

So basically if you are reading this review you are obviously debating buying them, well go do it. Unless you want to double your budget you probably won't get anything better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check in advance that it is the EU version and not the 'gold' headset., 8 Aug. 2014
Great headset, but be careful as I bought this from Online Queen. Although fulfilled by Amazon, this is actually the US gold version, so its warranty will not be fulfilled by Sony Europe. Misleading.

Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)