5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 Review!
Published 9 months ago by MrE

2.0 out of 5 stars Great game sound. Painful to wear.
I've been using these headphones for about a week now. The sound quality is very good, I've not experienced surround sound headphones before this, so I'm impressed with that.

The mic quality isn't as good as my old Turtle Beach P11's, so I don't sound as clear to my friends while chatting and playing.

The headset hurts me, this may be because I wear...
Published 12 hours ago by J Dew

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 Review!, 28 Feb 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 (PS4/PS3/PS Vita) (Accessory)
This has been in the pipeline for a while now with PS4 gamers especially wanting a wireless stereo headset to complete the experience, although it's worth pointing out that this particular headset will also work with the PS3, Vita and PC. Please note that the 7.1 surround sound only works with the PS3 and PS4! Also note that it only works wirelessly with the PS3 and PS4 so if using with the Vita or mobile device you will need to operate it via a cable.

The headset comes well packaged and has a decent weighty feel to it, before I talk about the actual headset I first want to mention what you get in the box. Besides the actual headset you get the dongle part that acts as a receiver and plugs directly into a spare USB port on the device you are using it with. You get a very short Micro USB charging cable to charge the headset with; you also get a headphone jack cable for use with tablets and other such devices, a travel pouch and warranty documentation. Again before I talk about the actual headset I must be honest and say I was shocked at the size of the wireless dongle, it's not exactly small and compact and indeed sticks out from the console. The one question I would ask is why does the headset use wireless technology and not Bluetooth since the console has that capability built in?

On to the headset itself. It features a standard wrap around design which is well padded and each side can be extended up and down the arm so you can easily get comfy and everyone from people with larger heads to those that have smaller heads should be well catered for, the headset itself can be folded to save space during travelling but also the earphone part is better protected. For those wondering where the microphone arm is let me please you by saying the microphone itself is built in and does not stick out and I can confirm that even if you speak slightly on the quiet side your voice will be picked up, to quote my friend my voice was "spot on"!

This headset is noise cancelling not only in isolating exterior noise but also reducing the amount of background noise the microphone picks up and I can confirm it does a really good job of that, so much so I got told off by my other half for not listening to her, she was in the next room shouting for me but genuinely I couldn't hear her. Not that my excuse got me very far! The ear cups themselves are very comfy over long gaming sessions and don't apply any uneven pressure!

Audio quality in Chat and game audio is fantastic. Surround sound is stellar!!! No really it's fantastic and 7.1 really does impress. So much so it puts the turtle beach pair I had a few years ago to shame. Let me put it this way, you never get bored of hearing footsteps behind you and bullets flying past your head and indeed I would say it takes the gaming experience to another level. Controls wise you have volume buttons, mute and a rocker to choose between game and party sound (so you find the right balance between your friends talking and audio from the game) and a mode button.

Now battery life has been suggested at around 8 hours, I'm managing to get around six and a half hours, admittedly I was talking to friends as well as using it for surround sound at the same time so on the whole I can't complain although I will be investing in a longer cable so I can continue to use them and charge it at the same time as the cable supplied is a joke!

Other things worth noting are that the side plates are removable so you will be able to snap on different colours and designs I'm guessing at some point in the future for those that want to customize the headset to their individual tastes! There is also a companion app so you can download pre-set profiles for specific games making the experience even better and there is also a status display of the headset on screen so you can keep an eye on the battery level at all times.

Pros: Feels sturdy like it will last * very comfy * excellent stereo audio quality with 7.1 surround sound with compatible games * Compatible with PS3 and the Vita * good quality microphone that is built in * MUTE button * battery life seems pretty good * Works with PC * EXCELLENT value considering what you get!

Cons: Uses Wireless and not Bluetooth which seems stupid considering the PS4 has a Bluetooth receiver built in* If they had used Bluetooth and not wireless the battery life would be even longer * the wireless dongle takes up an additional USB slot and seems like an afterthought rather than a neat and compact device * charging cable is pathetically short

VERDICT: For the price you are probably getting the best value wireless headset on the market and when you factor in the quality you won't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong there are a few things that indicate that they cut corners like the fact it uses wireless and not Bluetooth and the dongle itself could have been smaller. All the small things aside I love this headset and the fact there are no wires is a big bonus especially with pets running around the house and indeed the other half not watching what's on the floor so I couldn't be happier and like I said earlier the price and quality is right!

RECOMMENDED!

UPDATE 16th December 2014: Headset is still working and very much still recommend it, battery life is holding strong at around 6 hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best PS headphones, 1 Sep 2014
I purchased these headphones for two main reasons; I'm a firm believer that good sound makes a game, and the other half was complaining I had the TV too loud!

First impressions out of the box are good, the headphones are good quality and easily adjustable to fit pretty much any head size. Like pretty much any wireless device these days it needs a charge for a few hours before use to top up the battery. I also highly recommend that PS4 users download the free headphone app from the PS store (it works fine without, this just provides some extra modes for specific games so well worth it).

Overall I am extremely impressed with the sound quality, especially with the 'virtual' 7.1 surround sound enabled, this adding a real extra dimension to the gaming experience. The integrated microphone also works extremely well, with both multiplayer chat and PS voice control working well through it. Any gripes? Well, the charge cable is pathetically short but not much else to be honest, I tend to use my Samsung phone charger to charge my PS peripherals anyway. The USB dongle is a bit big too, but not really an issue for me. I've also tried the headphones on PS3 and PC (PC using the included adaptor through the headphone jack as normal) and found it to be a very competent performer, although you don't get the 7.1 sound through PC.

So, well made, comfortable, great sound quality and the other half is happy, highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality official headset, 10 Mar 2014
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
♦ Brief ♦

I've been through all the past official wireless headsets that have come out (7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset & Pulses) and have always been impressed, so when this one was announced I was more than eager to get my hands on them.

With the previous models, the Pulses were the "successor" to the 7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset, however with this newer version (also known as the 'Gold Headset' in the US), I'm rather unsure whether these are a successor to the Pulses... They both have certain features which are better than each other.

That said, these are undoubtedly very high quality in both sound and comfort.

♦ What's in the box? ♦

7.1 Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 | USB Dongle* | Micro USB Cable** | Stereo Cable*** | Carry Case | Manual/Documents.

* This is vital to connect your PS3/PS4 via a wireless connection, do not lose this as you can't buy these separately.

** Unlike the Pulses, these actually come with a charging cable, HOORAH! Except the cable is rather short.

*** This cable is used to connect the headset to a Vita or a Dualshock 4 controller; using it this way will mean you don't need to turn the headset on, nor does the headset has to have any charge.

♦ Set-Up & Using ♦

As I'm sure you're aware of, this headset works with the PS4, PS3 & PS Vita, whichever console you're planning on connecting this headset to, the set-up is very simple and easy to do, just follow one of the steps below.

- PlayStation 4 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS4.
2) Turn the headset on.
3) Select the user profile you want to link the headset to (asks every time you turn them on).

If you have two of these headsets, you can actually use them both at the same time using two different user profiles, this means you can even both participate in the same party chat.

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Dualshock 4 controller.

Whichever set-up you go for, if no game sound is going to the headset, follow these steps:
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Output to Headphones > All audio.

Alternatively, hold the PS button down and go to "Adjust Devices", you can also tweak the settings there.

- PlayStation 3 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS3.
2) Turn the headset on.

The PS3 should configure everything automatically.

- PlayStation Vita -

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Vita.

♦ Headset Functions ♦

There are many functions on the headset itself, most of which are only usable when wirelessly connected.

- Pre-Set Sound Mode -

When turning on the headset, if you skip over to '2' rather than '1', you can select to use a special pre-set sound mode which enhances the sound to that specific genre, such as "shooter" or "music" etc...

Though you will need to set it up by firstly downloading the 'Headset Companion App', then connect the headset to your PS3/PS4 and upload a sound profile to it through the app.

- Sound/Chat -

This allows you to adjust the ratio of chat to in-game audio; you can have it balanced, or more swayed to one or the other.

- Volume -

Will adjust the overall volume.

- VSS (Virtual Surround Sound) -

Hold this button down to disable/enable, with VSS enabled, you will get the 7.1 VSS.

- Mute -

This will mute/unmute the microphone.

♦ Comfort & Sound Quality ♦

This headset is extremely comfortable overall, both the headband and earpads are super soft which make these very comfortable over longer periods of time.

Sound quality is great, especially when using the specific sound profiles available on the headset companion app. I've used the shooter profile on games such as Battlefield 4 & Resogun and am pleased with the results; great sense of direction with clear and crisp sound.

I've had to ask others for their opinion of my mic quality as I can't hear it myself, and everyone I've asked has said they can hear me very clearly, which is good as the microphone is completely hidden.

There is one downside to this and the other previous models which didn't used to bother me, but has been recently, and that has to do with there being no playback when talking on the microphone. Due to the over-ear design, you can't really hear yourself when talking, so as the volume gets louder, you'll find yourself talking more loudly.

I hope they can implement an update sometime in the future that will sort this issue out...

♦ Gold Headset -VS- Pulse Headset ♦

- Gold Headset -

+ Foldable design making it easier to store.
+ Slightly more comfortable than the Pulses, probably due to it being more lightweight as well as extra width of headband.
+ Sound has been improved a bit from the Pulses.
+ Longer battery life (up from 6 hours to 8).
+ Cheaper in cost (I paid £75 on first release which is £20-£30 cheaper than the Pulses).

- Pulse Headset -

+ Slider controls rather than buttons.
+ Bass impact (was a love or hate feature).
+ Multiple sound profiles available to select through at once.
+ Has an aux port on the dongle for additional wireless usage with certain devices.

Both are great headsets to which both also have their ups and downs compared to each other, however I seem to be using the Golds more.

♦ Overall Opinion ♦

This is a pretty solid headset that's available for a premium price, though I honestly believe it's money well spent... They're comfortable which means I can wear them for long gaming sessions, and with its crisp sound & VSS feature, it makes me feel more immersed with the gameplay.

I've been using these for almost two weeks now and couldn't recommend them enough.

.·:*¨*:·.·:*¨*:·.

EDIT - DECEMBER 2014: I've owned these for about half a year now and still don't regret purchasing these. A great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for value and quality, controls can be a bit confusing though., 9 Dec 2014
I've owned these for about 3 months now so feel that's long enough to give them a proper review.

In terms of value for money they are fantastic (assuming you buy at a decent price - see below) and you'll really struggle to find anything of comparable quality in this price range.

The sound quality is not quite as crisp as my Audio Technica headphones (which were about £130), but they are wireless, has a mic and a few other options. All in all, for the money, the sound quality is great though. If you turn them up the sound is booming and really sucks you in more when playing action games. The virtual surround sound seems to work well too making it quite easy to place where things are happening in your game environment.

The other appealing feature of this headset is that it looks lovely with a style that perfectly matches your PS4 (as you'd expect as it is the official Sony PS headset!). Even folded it looks nice and it folds much better than many other headsets I've owned. And to adjust the height of the ear cups they slide beautifully up and down. I'm sure a decent drop from height would not be recommended, but overall the build quality is really good for a sub-£100 headset. Battery life is good too which is handy for any long sessions or movies.

Although I've given this 5 stars, I'd caution that it could be slightly more user friendly. I set mine up relatively easily via the USB cable, but have read that others have had problems. The separate problem I encountered is that I accidentally managed to set my headset master volume quite low one day when pressing the ' - Volume + ' button. Sony support website was useless, but I eventually found a tech forum where someone had resolved the problem for another user.

Turns out the Volume button controls volume for the sound AND the mic although it doesn't seem very clear as to whether it controls them both at the same time or whether you trigger which one you want to alter. So essentially I'd slid my sound volume down by turning my mic volume up. Really they should have completely separate volume controls to prevent this sort of thing.

The result was that my max sound was a bit quiet compared to before, but with the instructions on the tech forum I found I was able to reset it by pressing the Volume + all the way up to max and then having to press it again and hold it down for three seconds until it beeped. That seemed to do the trick but the headset doesn't come with handy instructions like that! So if you have a problem then go to google and you'll find a solution somewhere. Don't immediately assume you have a defective headset, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and time by googling for a solution rather than sending it back for another one.

I noted above that these are great value at £75 or under. I bought them on Amazon for £70 and I would advise sticking to that limit as the price has mostly fluctuated between £60-75 over the last few months of 2014. I notice today they are almost £85 as it's leading up to Xmas I suppose. If you can wait then I'd do so as they are great value at £70 or under!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality from Sony, as always :), 8 Nov 2014
I already own the Sony Pulse headphones but after a long gaming session the batteries fade and die and I am left using the in ear bud as supplied with the playstation 4.
I decided to get these as an alternaive for when I need to change headphones and they are at least as good as the Pulse. I always turn the game volume down and the chat up when playing with friends to make sure I can hear what is going on, not just for the laughs we always have but also if we are in a team event then communication is key, and these work perfectly.
The app the Playstation 4 has for these is a great little add on.
For crystal clear gaming and comms with your friends you really can't do much better than these and the build quality is great too and very comfortable even after long periods of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 12 April 2014
I recently purchased these headphones and have to say I've found them to be very good. The packaging etc is all top notch and the build quality of the headset itself is good.

Sound wise on the PS4 the surround sound on games such as BF4 is superb and very immersive. Also I've had no complaints from anyone in the same room as me to turn them down, so I think they do a pretty good job of keeping all the sound in.

Overall I'm really pleased. Note: I paid £89.99 for them and have noticed the price going up, not sure they are worth the £129.99 I've seen them for recently. But that's a personal choice

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing on the PS4, not as good on other things!, 4 Oct 2014
Are these headphones worth the money for the PS4? Absolutely. If you're wondering if you should take a punt on them, go for it, they're the best pair of headphones you'll own for the PS4. Shooting games sound amazing, if you have The Last of Us, put these headphones on, turn the lights off, sit down and enjoy an incredible experience!

Only reason I haven't given them 5 as on other devices, the sound quality isn't anywhere near as good. On my phone and on my computer, they just lack a lot of the punch that they have on the PS4. The bass isn't great when it isn't on the PS4 and there's no surround sound. Which is a shame as they're mega comfy and would love to use them out and about. Overall, I'd certainly recommend these, as the pros outweigh the cons by a ton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargin Wireless headset for PS4, 17 Sep 2014
Great quality headset, I'm very impressed with the sound. Charge lasts quite long, even with constant use. Tested the mic out on party chat and friends say the quality is really good and clear. The headphones are very comfortable and don't hurt over time and the PS4 headphone app thing works great. Would and have recommended to friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant for the price, 20 Oct 2014
Had these for around one week now but have had some serious game time with them. Basically they are everything and more you could want from a £60-£65 (depending exactly when you bought these) headset. The surround sound is brilliant, I have used them on battlefield 4 and the last of us. The last of us is one of the few games that has a game specific audio setup that you can upload to your headset via the app. For battlefield I just used the generic "shooter" and can confirm both were really good. They sit comfy on your ears (FYI I have a big head and big ears), the mic is great and the in game options to adjust the mic versus game volume are great so you can find the exact happy medium so one isn't too loud or too quiet. All the buttons are easily accessible and you have everything you need. I would strongly suggest you have the sidetone on level 2 for a game like battlefield otherwise you will be shouting without noticing. I read some reviews that said this option didn't work or wasn't good, I can say after using all 3 levels that there is a noticeable difference for me and I definitely feel this adds value.

So basically if you are reading this review you are obviously debating buying them, well go do it. Unless you want to double your budget you probably won't get anything better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check in advance that it is the EU version and not the 'gold' headset., 8 Aug 2014
Great headset, but be careful as I bought this from Online Queen. Although fulfilled by Amazon, this is actually the US gold version, so its warranty will not be fulfilled by Sony Europe. Misleading.

Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)