5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Swedish horror film.
Published 17 months ago by Puzzle box

3.0 out of 5 stars It arrived and we all sat down towatch it and guess what
Published 10 months ago by A. D. Crabtree

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Swedish horror film., 28 Jan. 2014
At first I knew nothing about this Swedish horror film and thought it might turn out to be really lame, but was I ever wrong. Wither was a massively enjoyable horror film that caught me by surprise. It was definitely an homage to The Evil Dead, it does not come of as a ripoff as it has it's own ideas. The gore scenes were also really top notch. Heads are mashed with rocks, there is a really messy decapitation and early on a really disgusting scene where a lip is torn off. Not to mention the wonderful sound design, which is the best I've ever heard in a Swedish film. Wither is about a couple Albin and Ida, whose parents offer them an abandoned house in the woods for a weekend retreat. Jumping at the idea to spend time in a derelict building away from civilisation with friends, having sex and drugs, Albin and Ida band together with a group of friends. When a practical joke goes wrong and one their friends stupidly goes into the basement, she releases a demonic presence. As the spirit makes its way through the group, turning the friends into crazy dead demons or bloody mush, it is up to Albin and Ida to survive and send the demon back to hell. The last part of the film is a real furious roller coaster and the last 15 minutes will have you sitting on the edge of your seat. The film goes on a bit to long but that is sort of nitpicking. Some character do some stupid things but when you think about it, it kind of makes sense from an emotional stand point. In my honest opinion this was way better than The Evil Dead remake which I wasn't that impressed with. It's really good fun, with snappy dialogue and likeable characters, and the gore really is quite inventive. Wither is definitely a film not to be missed. I highly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Swedish Gary Barlow?!, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Wither [DVD] (DVD)
Wither is pretty much an unofficial Swedish remake of 'The Evil Dead'. We are provided with some impressive and inventive special effects that help make an enjoyable viewing experience, despite the clichéd formula it uses. A Swedish Gary Barlow also seems to star in this movie...

5.0 out of 5 stars but cry because he is too stupid to not realise this is a foreign horror film, 1 July 2014
H. Beukes "Henry" (Johannesburg, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wither [DVD] (DVD)
Just trying to balance out the retard Richard that didn't come on here to write a proper review, but cry because he is too stupid to not realise this is a foreign horror film. A good one at that!

3.0 out of 5 stars It arrived and we all sat down towatch it and guess what, 1 Sept. 2014
A. D. Crabtree "Alec2" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wither (DVD)
As always I checked to see if this movie is in English, Yep it states the main language is English. It arrived and we all sat down to watch it and guess what, its in Swedish with English Subtitles @"*t. Amazon please check the language is right before selling it to the public as its very annoying. Apart from that it was quite good and I learned how to swear in Swedish too.

5.0 out of 5 stars heads up a good horror, 19 May 2015
This review is from: Wither [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed this dvd movie from sweden and even forgot it was subtitled as i got wrapped up in the story and action it has simularities to the evil dead but a million times better than the recent remake of that movie well worth a watch to horror fans

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice tale of possession set in a backwoods cabin. **SPOILERS IN REVIEW**, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Wither [DVD] (DVD)
The movie is nicely paced. I've seen movies go an hour or more before it moves up a gear. This one takes around 30 minutes. No more. I'll definitely be watching this again. A group of young people head to the woods for a weekend (sounds familiar to so many horror movies haha). Something in the basement, hiding in the dark, can possess a person if it can catch their eye sight for even a split second. Then, slowly they turn into flesh eating murderers. Not zombies, as they can die by other means than attacks to the head (bashing and stabs to the head don't work). Decapitation and hacking them up is the aim of the game.

This movie takes us back to the 80s. A time when men stood a chance in the movie on show. Not the final girl cliche riddled efforts we get these days more than ever. I like it when guys survive at the end. And I like it when movies have both sexes survive at the end if it's required. I dislike the final girl cliche though. It's extremely tired and burned out now. It's the most overused cliche in horror. It puts me off from viewing horror movies a lot of the time. Think Phantasm and The Thing in terms of the outcome to this tale. Score one for the lads in the outcome.

A thoroughly enjoyable movie. Acting was good. Makeup FX was good for a low budget affair. Believable when they were possessed (the eyes turning backwards into their heads etc). We need more movies with the sort of outcome this one had. Give guys in horror movies a chance for a change. This movie is unfairly being compared to The Evil Dead. Just like every horror comedy gets unfairly compared to Shaun of the Dead. It's so irritating as it's causing movies to get bashed because fans of those movies expect more of the same. It's never the case. Look upon this movie as it is. A foreign horror movie with tension and thrills. Just the way I like them.

9/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... it (not my type of film) but recipient will love, 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Wither [DVD] (DVD)
Brought as a present so I haven't seen it (not my type of film) but recipient will love it

4.0 out of 5 stars bloodthirsty, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Wither [DVD] (DVD)
Another bloody Swedish,horror DVD,a bit like evil dead,a good bloody gory film,I found sub titles ok,worth buying for blood hounds

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good at all, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Wither (Amazon Instant Video)
In my opinion this is a bad hash of evil dead, pure and simple. However it has little by way of story, sense or logic. Give this a miss. (It is way over priced for what you get. I wish I hadn't bought it.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Wither (Amazon Instant Video)
So bad I could barely believe it. No dimensional characters - it was hard to make any distinction between them. And as for being involved in their plight ... There was no plot, not even a hint of a story and I'm sure flesh eating zombies has been done to death (geddit).This film should come with a warning - it could raise your blood pressure when you think you spent money and time on such a naff product.

Wither [DVD]
Wither [DVD] by Patrik Almkvist (DVD - 2014)